Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckingham Palace emergency meeting?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Lots of things are 'nice'. Look at current issues, nuns kept hospitals nice, is that a good enough reason to give them a hospital.
    nuns kept hospitals nice? No they did not, they threw dead babies down the sewers. Only in Ireland could you call that nice.

Saudi is nice, is that a good enough reason tone silent about what their Royal house stand over?
    Saudi is not nice. Its a very intolerant place. Ever been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

neverever1 wrote: »
    She's commander in chief. Fact. Her armed forces killed, maimed and tortured many on our island. Fact. She never apologised for her armed forces murder campaign. Fact. Why are you ok with that?

Well actually no. The fact is that the de facto head of the UK's armed forces, in whom executive authority is vested, is the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence.

The professional head of the UK armed forces is the Chief of the Defence Staff.

Each of the three services then has one or more Commands

The current C-in-Cs are
    Commander-in-Chief Fleet (CINCFLEET)
    Commander-in-Chief Naval Home Command (CINCNAVHOME)
    Commander-in-Chief, Land Forces (CINCLAND)
    Commander-in-Chief Air (CINCAIR)

.....none of whom are named Elizabeth, Betty, Bessy or Lizzy :D

....but feel free to continue to wallow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well done for standing up for a fellow traveller.

A C-in-C is the term used to denote an officer within the chain of command who has operational command of a force - they are usually at the political/military interface (one from removed from the civilian politican seving as the Minister of Defence).

well she's not really......or can you point to an order she gave sending anyone anywhere?

If a Ryanair maintenance man ****s up and an accident occurs the buck stops with the top man.
    If she is ceremonial chief only for the good stuff you and the rest of your 'fellow' fawners and doffers need to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

maryishere wrote: »
    nuns kept hospitals nice? No they did not, they threw dead babies down the sewers. Only in Ireland could you call that nice.

I grew up in London, with Irish parents. It seemed pretty tolerant tbh. Lizzie didn't have much problem with us. In fact, her crowd treated us better than the crowd at home. Hence I've no ill will towards the Windsors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Well actually no. The fact is that the de facto head of the UK's armed forces, in whom executive authority is vested, is the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence.

The professional head of the UK armed forces is the Chief of the Defence Staff.

Each of the three services then has one or more Commands

The current C-in-Cs are
    Commander-in-Chief Fleet (CINCFLEET)
    Commander-in-Chief Naval Home Command (CINCNAVHOME)
    Commander-in-Chief, Land Forces (CINCLAND)
    Commander-in-Chief Air (CINCAIR)

.....none of whom are named Elizabeth, Betty, Bessy or Lizzy :D

....but feel free to continue to wallow.....

:D So we agree, she's commander in chief! Now do you not think she should have apologised for her forces murder campaign? Why not?

• Advertisement

Only those similarly deluded about the 'niceness' of royalty could say it. Look at those out welcoming the monarch and their record on Saudi and the nuns. Notice they are the same people?

If a Ryanair maintenance man ****s up and an accident occurs the buck stops with the top man.
    If she is ceremonial chief only for the good stuff you and the rest of your 'fellow' fawners and doffers need to say that.

Really, well for a start, there is no such thing as an accident in aviation - that implies zero causation. Incidents have causes......and if in aviation accountability runs to the top, as you suggest, why do so many casualty reports blame pilots......especially for an inability to maintain situational awarness?

No one, to my recollection is saying she is a "ceremonial chief" - whatever that is? I'm just pointing out the correct terminology.......and if being accurate is being perceived as being fawning then I'll just chalk it down to anti-intellectualism - sure why bother being correct when you can just be regurgitative.

Our hospitals here ****s up big time and the buck did not stop at the big man. And in the cases of endemic and widespread abuse you mention, like the magdalene laundries and the clerical abuse and the babies being buried by nuns in septic tanks, the blame did not reach or stop with the top man either.

Beyondgone wrote: »
    I grew up in London, with Irish parents. It seemed pretty tolerant tbh. Lizzie didn't have much problem with us. In fact, her crowd treated us better than the crowd at home. Hence I've no ill will towards the Windsors.
    +1. Arguably the most tolerant nation on earth, the British, have to hand it to them.

:D So we agree, she's commander in chief! Now do you not think she should have apologised for her forces murder campaign? Why not?

Well actually no. You really seem to be struggling with the concepts involved and to differentiate between the sovereign's role and the executive's role. I'm not sure I can make the explanation any simpler so I'll just leave it there.

Do I think she should apologise? No, because as the symbolic head of the Armed Forces, any apology would be just that.....symbolic.

I'd prefer the apology to come from the PM, flanked by the Secretary of State for Defence and the Chief of the Defence Staff.......you know, the people who's predecessors in office actually issued the orders? The office in question should be held to account.

But, hey, if it quietens the shrill mouth breathing 'RA heads down, then Lizzy should just go for it and apologise, but it would be letting the political establishment off too easily.......

• Advertisement

Our hospitals here ****s up big time and the buck did not stop at the big man. And in the cases of endemic and widespread abuse you mention, like the magdalene laundries and the clerical abuse and the babies being buried by nuns in septic tanks, the blame did not reach or stop with the top man either.

So therefore the notion of royalty is OK? :rolleyes:
    Mary is here, sense is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im a bit late to the party today due to being very unwell for 48 hours, but can I say that screenshot of an RIP.ie search for "Forename: Queen Elizabeth Surname: Windsor " cheered me up no end. After Hours priceless.

Well actually no. You really seem to be struggling with the concepts involved and to differentiate between the sovereign's role and the executive's role. I'm not sure I can make the explanation any simpler so I'll just leave it there.

Do I think she should apologise? No, because as the symbolic head of the Armed Forces, any apology would be just that.....symbolic.

I'd prefer the apology to come from the PM, flanked by the Secretary of State for Defence and the Chief of the Defence Staff.......you know, the people who's predecessors in office actually issued the orders? The office in question should be held to account.

But, hey, if it quietens the shrill mouth breathing 'RA heads down, then Lizzy should just go for it and apologise, but it would be letting the political establishment off too easily.......

You forgot, the commander in chief of the British armed forces was here! She had the opportunity to apologise and she didn't. We invited her over and she insulted us all, especially the victims families. Apparently you have to be a RA head to want some decency and contrition from the head of an armed forces that caused misery here.

The PM has apologised and will continue to as those NOT deluded by pomp and majesty and their inferiority complexes search for the truth. Irish people lined the very streets of a city it is alleged her Majesty's forces colluded in bombing waving flags while her forces buried the files deeper.

It is the way 'royalty' is meant to work on the 'inferior' by the way.

Many countries have royalty, for example Spain and many of the European countries. Do not let your bigoted hatred of the British get in the way of that.

Many countries have royalty, for example Spain and many of the European countries. Do not let your bigoted hatred of the British get in the way of that.

Not reading threads again before wading in Mary? :rolleyes:

Not reading threads again before wading in Mary? :rolleyes:

I did actually read the thread and caught you out yet again Francie ;)

Not very good at this, are you?

You forgot, the commander in chief of the British armed forces was here! She had the opportunity to apologise and she didn't. We invited her over and she insulted us all, especially the victims families. Apparently you have to be a RA head to want some decency and contrition from the head of an armed forces that caused misery here.

Well again I think you're forgetting that like President Higgins it's the government who dictate what she does and doesn't say.

I didn't feel insulted so that kind of undermines the argument that she "insulted us all" but hey-ho don't let that get in the way of your indignation.

The PM has apologised and will continue to as those NOT deluded by pomp and majesty and their inferiority complexes search for the truth. Irish people lined the very streets of a city it is alleged her Majesty's forces colluded in bombing waving flags while her forces buried the files deeper.

It is the way 'royalty' is meant to work on the 'inferior' by the way.

You know if you that in a Jarry Adams type accent it sounds like something from Scrap Saturday.........Christ I'm showing my age :D

You know if you that in a Jarry Adams type accent it sounds like something from Scrap Saturday.........Christ I'm showing my age :D

Wanna know how you sound? Conor Cruise always springs to mind when I read your posts.

• Advertisement

The
    I did actually read the thread and caught you out yet again Francie ;)

Not very good at this, are you?

So which bit of 'I think the notion of royalty anywhere is obscene' did you not grasp?

Well again I think you're forgetting that like President Higgins it's the government who dictate what she does and doesn't say.

I didn't feel insulted so that kind of undermines the argument that she "insulted us all" but hey-ho don't let that get in the way of your indignation.

No, Higgins has apologised for things the government has done in the past. As the commander in chief she should have apologised, that's the fact of the matter.

Ok, I'll rephrase. She's insulted anyone who cares about the victims of the British forces murder campaign and their families.

Wanna know how you sound? Conor Cruise always springs to mind when I read your posts.

Haven't a clue where he was born, but I doubt it was anywhere near where I grew up :D Although, I think like me he went to Trinity, but I wouldn't have accent you'd associate with it :D

No, Higgins has apologised for things the government has done in the past. As the commander in chief she should have apologised, that's the fact of the matter.

Ok, I'll rephrase. She's insulted anyone who cares about the victims of the British forces murder campaign and their families.

well, then that's that settled. Well done.......

......As for the second part......how do you know?

The

So which bit of 'I think the notion of royalty anywhere is obscene' did you not grasp?

You actually wrote in post no 252:

Get your facts right and stop telling your lies again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I refer you to her visit, the things she said and did.

You actually wrote in post no 252:

Get your facts right and stop telling your lies again.

What?

The notion of royalty is not unique to GB, it is obscene anywhere where it bestows privilege.

So what bit of that is troubling you?

I refer you to her visit, the things she said and did.

She went and nodded at a memorial to those who were considered terrorists in their day...a small minority of people compared to the hundreds of thousands of people who worked in the war effort and for fought for these islands against the Germans, who had invaded and raped little Catholic Belgium, among other things.
    Some would be of the opinion 100,000 Irish soldiers turned in their graves when she nodded in respect to a few hundred partisans / guerillas / terrorists / freedom fighters / call them what you want.

Haven't a clue where he was born, but I doubt it was anywhere near where I grew up :D Although, I think like me he went to Trinity, but I wouldn't have accent you'd associate with it :D

Nothing to do with place of birth or accent, more mindset actually. If it where accent, I hear John Bruton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Nothing to do with place of birth or accent, more mindset actually. If it where accent, I hear John Bruton.

I'm going to the chippers Francie. Want anything brought back? Bag of chips for the other shoulder? I fancy a battered sausage. BRB.

Advertisement