Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckingham Palace emergency meeting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Enjoy your enlightened flawless Republic lads.

Nobody said it aint, but we don't bow down to people who ancestors made Millions of people slaves and murdered innocent people for bit of land either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nobody said it aint, but we don't bow down to people who ancestors made Millions of people slaves and murdered innocent people for bit of land either.

Ahh, three quarters of ye still say you're Catholic.

And in Ireland that means thinking of bishops as princes of the Church and the pope as the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

neverever1 wrote: »
    Uh oh! We've got a fawner here! :D

Proud one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Good for you guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

The guy is 95! It's an impressive retirement age.
    Retire from what exactly? The old bast@rd has not done a days work in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The Queen's husband is retired. God save the Queen's husband.

Or something like that.

And in Ireland that means thinking of bishops as princes of the Church and the pope as the king.

again nobody is saying its flawless. hear outrage about New Maternity hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Ye? I thought you were a Galway bogger.

To defend catholicism a bishop is not really a prince in the normal sense, although kissing the ring etc was total nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Ohhhhhh no! Don't ever question our precious queen. :D

Good for you guy.

You can counter the argument if you like, but you don't seem to be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Proud one.

:D You have my pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

He described himself best when he said he was the "World's most experienced plaque unveiler".

Nice work if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I personally would hate his non-job. 100s of appointments a year, the vast majority of them boring and worthy and dull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I personally would hate his non-job. 100s of appointments a year, the vast majority of them boring and worthy and dull.
    You should be allowed to shoot a few Peasants ........Pheasants,,,,Pheasants afterwards to unwind......;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

“The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” was the final notice issued by George V’s doctor, Lord Dawson, at 9.30pm on the night of 20 January 1936. Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight.

What a pity that doctor isn't around today to give the whole scrounging lot of them the same treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think at this stage the UK is a republic in all but name. The monarchy are symbolic more than anything with little say over the daily running of the country.

Its a country where the people have far more rights and protections than alleged republics like North Korea and Syria. In fact many Republics around the world are anything but and are ruled at the brutal whim of a strongman who persecutes at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I think at this stage the UK is a republic in all but name. The monarchy are symbolic more than anything with little say over the daily running of the country.

Its a country where the people have far more rights and protections than alleged republics like North Korea and Syria. In fact many Republics around the world are anything but and are ruled at the brutal whim of a strongman who persecutes at will.

In the case of the latter, they often include the words democratic or people's in their official nomenclature.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,583 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Man who never worked a day in his life - retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

To defend catholicism a bishop is not really a prince in the normal sense, although kissing the ring etc was total nonsense.
    Aren't the Catholic churches roles carry on's from Roman religious positions, the pope is a title that goes way back, I think Caesar was the pope at one stage. They were positions of power given to elites, so the next best thing to royalty.
    Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over –
    That's like breakfast for Charlie Sheen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

“The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” was the final notice issued by George V’s doctor, Lord Dawson, at 9.30pm on the night of 20 January 1936. Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight.

What a pity that doctor isn't around today to give the whole scrounging lot of them the same treatment.

classy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Man who never worked a day in his life - retires.

You might like to look up his military record some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The guy is 95! It's an impressive retirement age.

Such ignorance.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Such ignorance.

go on....... tell us all about it.

the solider he was and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm certainly no fan of the royals, but I wouldn't trade my life for his.

Constantly under the media glare, every stupid comment of yours immortalised in lists of "top ten times when Prince Philip insulted everyone", practically every day of your life condensed into a routine of what you do, when you eat, sleep and sh1t? No opportunity to say, "Ah fnck it, I'm going to sit on the couch in my boxers, drink beer and watch Family Guy this evening".

I'll take anonymity, personal independence and just enough money to live thanks. No amount of ivory back scratchers and fancy homes can make up for a living a life that's not your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Definitely, the opulence he/they live in is very much a gilded cage.....that they choose to remain in it always struck me as bizarre, almost as bizarre as the apparent willingness of the UK taxpayers to fund a good chunk of that lifestyle.

Spongers? Yes
    Parasites? Yes
    Scroungers? Yes
    Winners of the lucky sperm club?

Deserving of euthanasia? Really? It's not like they are keeping themselves in that position by force of arms.....I'm guessing if the UK voted to become a republic tomorrow they'd toddle off without too much fuss........with the best wishes of President Blair, Major or Cameron echoing in their ears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

go on....... tell us all about it.

the solider he was and all that

sailor actually.....
    Philip joined the Navy as a cadet after leaving Gordonstoun School in 1939. In January 1941 he joined the battleship HMS Valiant in Alexandria and was in charge of its searchlight control during the night action off Cape Matapan, for which he was mentioned in dispatches. After serving aboard the Wallace, he was appointed first lieutenant of HMS Whelp, which was present in Tokyo Bay when the Japanese signed the surrender.

....who seems to have been reasonably well regarded by his men.....
    Hargreaves was a yeoman aboard the destroyer HMS Wallace on which Philip, son of Prince Andrew of Greece, had been appointed first lieutenant - second-in-command - at the age of 21. In July 1943, engaged in the Allied landings in Sicily, the ship came under repeated bombardment at dead of night and its crew realised that they would probably lose their lives.

It was then Philip conjured up a plan to throw overboard a wooden raft with smoke floats that would create the illusion of debris ablaze on the water. As he hoped, the German plane was fooled into attacking the raft while the Wallace sailed to safety under cover of darkness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

seagull wrote: »
    Just another UK family living entirely on welfare all their life :rolleyes:, who really cares about them apart from old dears in England and our unionist friends in the six counties with their "poor but still loyal" humbleness with their cheesy Charles and Diana wedding mugs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just another UK family living entirely on welfare all their life :rolleyes:, who really cares about them apart from old dears in England and our unionist friends in the six counties with their "poor but still loyal" humbleness with their cheesy Charles and Diana wedding mugs etc

I'm sure they are devastated at your stinging critique. Devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,583 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seagull wrote: »

I did. Something he did for a year or two 70 years ago doesn't exactly constitute a 'working life'.
    But hey, don't let me get in the way of the fawning and looking the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I did. Something he did for a year or two 70 years ago doesn't exactly constitute a 'working life'.
    But hey, don't let me get in the way of the fawning and looking the other way.

i was wondering when you were going to show up.

Advertisement