Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckingham Palace emergency meeting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,572 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

i was wondering when you were going to show up.

Why do you do that? A bit odd, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why do you do that? A bit odd, no?

nothing odd about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I did. Something he did for a year or two 70 years ago doesn't exactly constitute a 'working life'.
    But hey, don't let me get in the way of the fawning and looking the other way.

In fairness, he did 200+ public engagements last year. More than some of the younger members of the royal family. You might not see it as a job but it's got to be tiring for a 94 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I dont remember being told where to go and who to meet when i'm a tourist. You must go on different holidays to me.

No. I'm just not single!

nothing odd about it.

You wonder 'when somebody (in particular) will turn up' on a public internet forum and it is nothing odd?

I beg to differ.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    In fairness, he did 200+ public engagements last year. More than some of the younger members of the royal family. You might not see it as a job but it's got to be tiring for a 94 year old.

Forgive me if I find being shunted around in luxury without having to organise a thing (or even having to remember to bring so much as a wallet with you) uninspiring or even worthy of pity.
    He could have retired at 65 and the world would have spun merrily on.

I find the notion of royalty to be disgusting in this day and age to be perfectly frank. Sure, preserve the history of it and the buildings, but cosseting and privileging a whole plethora of people just because of who they are is obscene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Man who never worked a day in his life - retires.

Do you do much work yourself francie?

Forgive me if I find being shunted around in luxury without having to organise a thing (or even having to remember to bring so much as a wallet with you) uninspiring or even worthy of pity.
    He could have retired at 65 and the world would have spun merrily on.

I find the notion of royalty to be disgusting in this day and age to be perfectly frank. Sure, preserve the history of it and the buildings, but cosseting and privileging a whole plethora of people just because of who they are is obscene.

It's just as well you don't have to live there then or pay anything towards it or be affected in any way by the goings on of any Royal family anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Just another UK family living entirely on welfare all their life :rolleyes:, who really cares about them apart from old dears in England and our unionist friends in the six counties with their "poor but still loyal" humbleness with their cheesy Charles and Diana wedding mugs etc

you do, it seems

infogiver wrote: »
    It's just as well you don't have to live there then or pay anything towards it or be affected in any way by the goings on of any Royal family anywhere.

How do you know where I pay taxes or where I have lived?

And it's an irish forum and I will not have my opinion proscribed by those who want to fawn and doff, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

How do you know where I pay taxes or where I have lived?

And it's an irish forum and I will not have my opinion proscribed by those who want to fawn and doff, thank you very much.

Can you quote the post where this has been suggested?

Can you quote the post where this has been suggested?

Why would 'my paying taxes or living under royalty' have anything to do with the points i made about the archaic and obscene syatem of 'royalty' in this day and age?
    The poster is clearly trying to stop the debate on royalty developing by attacking/turning the spotlight on the poster.

Why would 'my paying taxes or living under royalty' have anything to do with the points i made about the archaic and obscene syatem of 'royalty' in this day and age?
    The poster is clearly trying to stop the debate on royalty developing by attacking/turning the spotlight on the poster.

they are doing nothing of the sort. just trying to ascertain why you are so exercised by the existence of the british royalty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

they are doing nothing of the sort. just trying to ascertain why you are so exercised by the existence of the british royalty.

What sort of rational modern person wouldn't be? The whole concept is from another age

Between the praying in the Dail and the fondness for Prince Philip the "triggering" here on AH today is at epic levels.
    The outrage and offence is off the scale!!!

You are free to see it as you want, I see it as an atempt to deflect away from any criticism of royalty.

As I say, it's an Irish forum with thousands of threads on thousands of subjects, no doubt we will have a fawner/defender of the realm on, claiming 'the irish are obsessed with etc etc etc ....yawn. :rolleyes:

What sort of rational modern person wouldn't be? The whole concept is from another age

You dont think there are more important things for an irish person to be exercised over?

You are free to see it as you want, I see it as an atempt to deflect away from any criticism of royalty.

As I say, it's an Irish forum with thousands of threads on thousands of subjects, no doubt we will have a fawner/defender of the realm on, claiming 'the irish are obsessed with etc etc etc ....yawn. :rolleyes:

ah the ad hom has come out. If you are vociferously condemning the british royalty you must be fawning over them. Thats a very black & white, almost childish, view of the world.

ah the ad hom has come out. If you are vociferously condemning the british royalty you must be fawning over them. Thats a very black & white, almost childish, view of the world.

I think the notion of 'royalty' British or otherwise to be obscene in this day and age.

Correct: it is a very b/w opinion.

You dont think there are more important things for an irish person to be exercised over?

Ah, the 'obsession' implication. Didn't take long. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

seamus wrote: »
    I'm certainly no fan of the royals, but I wouldn't trade my life for his.

Constantly under the media glare, every stupid comment of yours immortalised in lists of "top ten times when Prince Philip insulted everyone", practically every day of your life condensed into a routine of what you do, when you eat, sleep and sh1t? No opportunity to say, "Ah fnck it, I'm going to sit on the couch in my boxers, drink beer and watch Family Guy this evening".

I'll take anonymity, personal independence and just enough money to live thanks. No amount of ivory back scratchers and fancy homes can make up for a living a life that's not your own.

Indeed. It must feel something like being in the Big Brother house your entire life with all your actions under regular scrutiny and talked about at water coolers across the country the next day. There's a lot to be said for being a private citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Omackeral wrote: »

Well we all know how good the Sun is at telling lies.....the sun........the scum more like . JF96 YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I don't understand why some people equate having official engagements to attend and having a lack of a personal life with "hard work".

My father was a coal miner and then worked in a steel foundry until an industrial accident led to his redundancy.

If I had to choose between my father's working life and Prince Phillip's "working" life, I know which one I would prefer :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

I couldn't give a sh1t about this fella, if his wife drops dead I might have a celebratory drink. The only impact they've had on Irish people is that one of them was the commander in chief of the British armed forces who were still killing Irish people on our streets up to the very recent past.

I don't understand why some people equate having official engagements to attend and having a lack of a personal life with "hard work".

My father was a coal miner and then worked in a steel foundry until an industrial accident led to his redundancy.

If I had to choose between my father's working life and Prince Phillip's "working" life, I know which one I would prefer :rolleyes:

I drag my are out if bed every morning and walk all the way across the landing to my study where I spend most of the day. Does that mean I don't work hard either because I'm not up to my bollocks in oil and grease?

neverever1 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a sh1t about this fella, if his wife drops dead I might have a celebratory drink. The only impact they've had on Irish people is that one of them was the commander in chief of the British armed forces who were still killing Irish people on our streets up to the very recent past.

Yet you posted several times in this thread?

Sounds like you do care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

neverever1 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a sh1t about this fella....

It seems you are very much concerned about him.

Yet you posted several times in this thread?

Sounds like you do care.

I've posted a few times and as you can see from the post you quoted, it's his wife, the head of the British murdering forces, who has had impact on Irish people's lives. As I said, couldn't give a sh1t about this old fella.

It seems you are very much concerned about him.

See my post above. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope he doesn't get himself some young Filly to keep himself occupied now that he has too much time on his hands......:eek:

Advertisement