Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jihadist fundraising in Eire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

A church near me in the UK rang its bells every 3 hours, including midnight, 3 am and 6 am. It was bloody infuriating - or as some posters prefer to call it, scary.

It's like the whole "fleg" argument up the north without noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

Hanwellian wrote: »

I'm shocked that the gardai actually managed to carry out surveillance and arrest someone. In this sort of situation it would be like an episode of the Keystone Cops, would be my impression.

I do honestly have to laugh at this rubbish. You see it on the comments under news articles on FB, some sort of self loathing that because something is an Irish institution it is inherently going to be useless. Some sort of complex that people can't understand how a Garda with a thick Kerry accent could possibly get his head around international terrorism. You see the same stuff posted about the Irish army. What do you work at out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

Manny89 wrote: »
    If he received naturalised citizenship, it better be revoked now!

Frances Fitzgerald said we would look into revoking the citizenship of people who had fought with ISIS.

Around the same time she also said that there was absolutely no question of Syrian refugees being allowed to skip ahead on the social housing waiting lists.

We all know how they both turned out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

Man refused bail in Waterford terrorism funding case

The garda-led investigation into the funding of international terrorism which led to the arrest and charge of an Irish citizen last week has involved the FBI, Interpol and the London Metropolitan Police, a court has been told.

Hasan Bal, 25, formerly living at an address at O’Connell Street in Waterford, was refused bail when he made his second appearance before Waterford District Court this afternoon.

He is charged with providing funding for a foreign terrorist group on 2 October 2015, and attempting to collect funding for a foreign terrorist group on 23 October 2015.

Garda? objected to bail on the grounds of the seriousness of the alleged offences; the potential sentence if convicted, which could be up to 20 years; and the risk of flight out of the country by Mr Bal if granted bail.

Mr Bal’s mother, Dr Caroline Ward-Fahy, said it was "very shocking" to be in this situation.

Inspector Tony Lonergan asked her how she proposed to ensure, if her son was granted bail, that he would comply with his bail conditions.

"Since my son was born, when I tell him to do something, he will do it," she said. "He will do that as his duty to God because his mother is a very important part of his faith."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0502/871934-bal-waterford/

Glad he didn't get bail. Could serve up to 20 years if convicted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The last paragraph is very telling, he does what God tells him.

Pure snack attack material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

IN fairness, she didn't say that: she said he does what he's told by her.

Don't get the snack attack reference - what am I missing there?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yep. Classic psychotic religious delusion. Very unpredictable. Good thing that he was caught.

Don't get the snack attack reference - what am I missing there?

It's making light of the phrase 'allahu akbar'. Turning it into 'Alan's Snackbar' like an expat cafe you see on holiday in Spain and then to 'snack attack'. It's common for people to create black humour around things that frighten them.

This phrase tends to be used by people who are most afraid of terrorist attacks. You'll probably noticed that people who use the phrase 'snack attack', usually try to maximise the likelihood and consequences of a terrorist attack and often hold fairly negative opinions of Muslims in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I do honestly have to laugh at this rubbish. You see it on the comments under news articles on FB, some sort of self loathing that because something is an Irish institution it is inherently going to be useless. Some sort of complex that people can't understand how a Garda with a thick Kerry accent could possibly get his head around international terrorism. You see the same stuff posted about the Irish army. What do you work at out of interest?

It's what the Russians call poshlost - carelessly half-thought cliches like "Vietnam was as bad as Auschwitz". A more stringent philosophical education rather than religious indoctrination might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Frances Fitzgerald said we would look into revoking the citizenship of people who had fought with ISIS.

Around the same time she also said that there was absolutely no question of Syrian refugees being allowed to skip ahead on the social housing waiting lists.

We all know how they both turned out.

how?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Really? Show that to me.

I've worked with Muslims. I've even seen Muslims in pubs. How less integrated can you get?

It's making light of the phrase 'allahu akbar'. Turning it into 'Alan's Snackbar' like an expat cafe you see on holiday in Spain and then to 'snack attack'. It's common for people to create black humour around things that frighten them.

This phrase tends to be used by people who are most afraid of terrorist attacks. You'll probably noticed that people who use the phrase 'snack attack', usually try to maximise the likelihood and consequences of a terrorist attack and often hold fairly negative opinions of Muslims in general.

Honestly have no idea if you made that up (I'm assumign you did!) but it made me laugh one way or the other.!

Honestly have no idea if you made that up (I'm assumign you did!) but it made me laugh one way or the other.!

I'm serious as a 'snack attack'!

The phrase is a play on words from allahu Akbar -> Alan's snack bar-> snack attack.

Almost always used by the people who soil them selves while talking about terrorists and muslims -I used it tongue in cheek. My pants remain unsoiled

I'm serious as a 'snack attack'!

The phrase is a play on words from allahu Akbar -> Alan's snack bar-> snack attack.

Almost always used by the people who soil them selves while talking about terrorists and muslims -I used it tongue in cheek. My pants remain unsoiled

Bloody hell - some people just try too damn ****ing hard to be vague (him, obviously - not you). Still don't see the conenction between that and what his mother said at the bail hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Anyone who has beliefs that are odds with the country that is hosting them, people who think Christians are scum etc.. It's all well and good being liberal, look what happened in Sweden. Did you see the musilms that blasted the call to prayer at 6am in a Swedish community? When people came out of their home's to give out , "the religion of peace guy's" said that this is the new normal---get used to it. That's scary stuff.

The police turned up and did nothing.

Thats a good lot of people so then.
    Anyone who has beliefs that are odds with the country that is hosting them, people who think Christians are scum etc.. It's all well and good being liberal, look what happened in Sweden. Did you see the musilms that blasted the call to prayer at 6am in a Swedish community? When people came out of their home's to give out , "the religion of peace guy's" said that this is the new normal---get used to it. That's scary stuff.

The police turned up and did nothing.

Thats a good lot of people so then.

Ah Boards.ie, where one can call Christians, Jews and Hindus scum without fear of reprisal, but don't dare criticise that homophobic, misogynistic, barbaric cult that shall not be named.

Ah Boards.ie, where one can call Christians, Jews and Hindus scum without fear of reprisal, but don't dare criticise that homophobic, misogynistic, barbaric cult that shall not be named.

Ah, boards.ie, where someone is unable of making intellgient critical comment of an entire race or religion wihtout blaming mythical bias and inconcistencies for the shortcomings...

Ah, boards.ie, where someone is unable of making intellgient critical comment of an entire race or religion wihtout blaming mythical bias and inconcistencies for the shortcomings...

To be frank, one who has such an appalling grasp of simple spelling should in no way question the intellect of other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, the last paragraph is very telling. Clearly his mother is a fruitloop.

"So Ms. Ward, your adult son is accused of being involved in money laundering and funding for terrorist groups. If we were to release him into your care, how do you propose to ensure that he won't flee the country or be involved in further criminality?"

"I'm his mother and he always does what I tell him"

"Bail denied".

With a mother like that it's no wonder he's grown up being involved with other fruit loop organisations and criminality.

To be frank, one who has such an appalling grasp of simple spelling should in no way question the intellect of other posters.

One fails to see the point in questioning someone's intellect when said "intellect" is perfectly displayed by said someone's resorting to the grasping of grammar Nazi straws, instead of highlighing perceived bias and inconsistencies...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm pretty sure you can't. Or I hope not, otherwise this place really has hit the skids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

can you give examples of where people have called Christians, Jews and Hindus scum without been sanctioned?
    oh it never happened? ah okay so. thought that might be the case.
    homophobia, misogynism, barbarity aren't unique to islam. islam's extremists element may be more visible but that doesn't mean the other religions aren't at 1 or more of them in various places.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's an ongoing feedback thread for such discussion what has appeared in the last few posts.

Now can we get back to talking about this fundraiser?

Collie D wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can't. Or I hope not, otherwise this place really has hit the skids.

Ths thing is, moderators rely on posts being reported to a certain extent. If someone makes a racist remark against Muslims, somsone's bound to report it. If someone makes a racist remark against another religion, it's less likely to stand out and be reported. Islam just happens to be the hot topic of the moment.

It's not that they're deemed acceptable in some way, it's that the people who complain about them not being actioned are less likely to report them, partially because they have thicker skin - and they go unnoticed. That's my theory anyway.

That said, anyone who's taken part in a Catholic thread here will now that blanket remakrs against Catholicism will most certainly be met with the same fate. And I'm pretty sure if you stated a blatantly bigotted anti-Jewish stance and it was spotted, you'd be carded PDQ.

Now, how bout we get back on topic?

a

can you give examples of where people have called Christians, scum without been sanctioned?

I'm sure you'll fabricate some banal argument to prove otherwise, but post #56 of this very thread, a post that you thanked in fact, was a clear inference that the poster believes Christians to be scum.

oh it never happened? ah okay so.
    You must have plenty of time on your hands seeing as the only way you could possibly make such a claim was if you've personally read all and every post on this site? Or perhaps you're just waffling drivel?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

was a clear inference that the poster believes Christians to be scrum.
    Maybe he was watching the priests rugby final and just got confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You must have plenty of time on your hands seeing as the only way you could possibly make such a claim was if you've personally read all and every post on this site? Or perhaps you're just waffling drivel?

You're the one making the claim. You say boards.ie is a place "where one can call Christians, Jews and Hindus scum without fear of reprisal."

Prove it.

Prove it.

To whom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I lived near a church that rang it's bells at all fcuking hours. I remember being woken up and being really annoyed. I don't remember being scarred at any point. Some people are easily scarred thought. Poor pets

Did you not ring the Gardaí about this atrocity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pilly wrote: »
    Did you not ring the Gardaí about this atrocity?
    Just go in and steal their tape of the bell ringing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement