Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sdhway

OrdeP wrote: »
    I'll be moving in soon and I'm wondering if someone could let me know how long took Vodafone to provide the full installation, service fully working and speeds?

One more thing, could you recommend a good alarm system (doesn't need to be monitored) and installer?

Thank you
    +1 on the alarm system please

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

sdhway wrote: »
    +1 on the alarm system please

There is good info in the Home Security forum: http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1366

Big things to be careful about are:
    - companies with "offers" where you don't actually own the equipment and are locked into their expensive service (Phonewatch do this)
    - systems with recurring monthly app charges (HKC do this)
    - wireless alarms, as all houses in RCP are wired
    - systems that come in packs, i.e. you get X number of sensors by default
    - systems where your monitoring price depends on the number of sensors

If you want one that you can monitor via app then it will need to be connected to a router so you will need your router set up in your utility.

We went with Siemens/Vanderbilt SPC 4320, which has free online/app access. I can recommend an installer by PM, he has done several here and we were very happy with him.

It's best to get a few quotes and make sure they either come and do a survey to advise you on your needs or else go with someone who has already done houses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Manion wrote: »
    Post some pictures and I'll tell you if yours is wrong.

Noise is noticeable along royal canal avenue from cars. The train is fine TBH. Where the new houses are going you may not have that issue as really only residents should be driving a long the new part.

The luas is meant to be operational in December. It's a 15 minute walk to bloombridge. The local bus is the 120. It's very reliable.
    Thanks for the information. We put a deposit down on a Heron.

Does anyone know if there are any updates on the canal walkway between RCP and Broombridge? I would be hoping to use the luas to commute to work each day but am concerned it will be quite an isolated and dark walk in the winter months.

Also if anyone has any information on Creches in the area it would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know what is included in the management fees? I wonder if there is any building insurance included?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 n1ckymar1e

Hi all, does the heron utility room come with a sink in it? the show house doesn't but the plans I keep seeing do? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

n1ckymar1e wrote: »
    Hi all, does the heron utility room come with a sink in it? the show house doesn't but the plans I keep seeing do? Thanks.

Answer is no.
    Don't rely on the plans submitted to planning dept as they are quite old and some of them show doors in different locations, solar panels & chimneys, none of which are in the final design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

OrdeP wrote: »
    I'll be moving in soon and I'm wondering if someone could let me know how long took Vodafone to provide the full installation, service fully working and speeds?

One more thing, could you recommend a good alarm system (doesn't need to be monitored) and installer?

Thank you

Approximately 8 weeks. It doesn't matter who you go with. You're waiting for an openEir engineer to come out and run a cable from the box at the front door back to a distribution box and also connect the distribution box back to the cabinet. Only then will you be able to get a line and broadband. They will insist on putting in a telephone line first and later the VDSL. In otherwords, the line goes in, they test it, then they install the broadband.

note they will happily take your booking and rock up on the day to do the installation only to "discover" the openEir engineer hasn't done his bit yet. Waste 3 days off work on this nonsense.
    Sorry I meant to ask if anyone in a Heron has a super king bed in their Master Bedroom If so was it hard to get up two flights of stairs?

Yes, split divan bed and split mattress. The problem you have is the mattress. Most modern mattresses can be bent even a little bit without doing permanent damage to the mattress.

If you go for superking be sure of your measurements, if you put it against the back wall you will need to move one of the sockets.
    Does anyone know what is included in the management fees? I wonder if there is any building insurance included?

Building insurance is not included for the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

maciektok wrote: »
    Ho. Does anyone know how much heron cost in the last phase? Thanks

Same price as the previous phase, €435K with one parking space, €445K with two.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

cronos wrote: »
    Anyone looked into secondary glazing to attempt to resolve the sound issues on bridge avenue and royal canal ave? I remember someone earlier in the thread said that Jason had told them he is looking into it for us with the architect? Anything come of that? Its really bad.

Perhaps we could group together and get a much cheaper price as a group? Would love to solve the sound issue as its really really annoying in all the front rooms of the herons.

We'd be interested in investigating this further Cronos.

The speed bumps on Royal Canal Avenue wont be removed apparently, and infact more are due to be added. Frankly speeding is a problem as is driving on the foot path. I'm sorry I missed the resident meeting.

where did you hear this Manion?

• Advertisement

guns_healy wrote: »
    As someone who lives on Phelan park/phelan avenue we would lose out if they didn't open up that side entrance.

Prior to the whole development of houses certain roads and access didn't exist. Not just that side entrance.

I, like my neighbours will benefit when that entrance opens. It is in the original plans and shouldn't and won't be changed.

Everybody driving past centra for access to phelan park, phelan avenue and phelan drive west is not practical long term

I'm sure everyone on Phelan Park and Phelan Ave would benefit by a matter of a minute or so in terms of accessing Bridge Ave via car but the downside will be much greater i.e rat running cars from the current apartments and those that are due to be built along Camden Ave etc in the not so distant future. It's a very narrow road and the proximity of it to driveways (which don't have the additional buffer of footpath etc) is dangerous in particular for those with young kids.

Thanks for the information. We put a deposit down on a Heron.

Does anyone know if there are any updates on the canal walkway between RCP and Broombridge? I would be hoping to use the luas to commute to work each day but am concerned it will be quite an isolated and dark walk in the winter months.

Also if anyone has any information on Creches in the area it would be greatly appreciated.

as far as I have heard there are no plans to update the canal path btwn RCP and Broombridge....Waterways Ireland don't allow canal side ligthting anyway as it compromises the wild life. I walked it a few times on dark evenings from the current Irish Rail Station and its intimidating enough given how cut off and quiet it is. That said never came across any trouble or dodgy characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

dor1971 wrote: »
    as far as I have heard there are no plans to update the canal path btwn RCP and Broombridge....Waterways Ireland don't allow canal side ligthting anyway as it compromises the wild life. I walked it a few times on dark evenings from the current Irish Rail Station and its intimidating enough given how cut off and quiet it is. That said never came across any trouble or dodgy characters.

There is a plan to upgrade it as part of the Mullingar to Dublin greenway. Most of that is already complete and the section from Ashtown to the centre is pretty much the last stretch to be done. There is a detailed design done but as far as I know the funding has not yet been allocated.

These are the plans:http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

Thanks guys. That's great to know.

Does anyone have a solicitor they would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Thanks guys. That's great to know.

Does anyone have a solicitor they would recommend?

Happy to recommend our solicitor - good price, thorough, very responsive despite tight timeline, based in city centre

PM for details

There is a plan to upgrade it as part of the Mullingar to Dublin greenway. Most of that is already complete and the section from Ashtown to the centre is pretty much the last stretch to be done. There is a detailed design done but as far as I know the funding has not yet been allocated.

These are the plans:http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

Yes, but someone has posted previously or perhaps on the RCP facebook page that as of last week at the community meeting attended by the council etc that there are no plans to upgrade in the near to medium future.

where did you hear this Manion?

The Management company.

The speed bumps on Royal Canal Avenue wont be removed apparently, and infact more are due to be added. Frankly speeding is a problem as is driving on the foot path. I'm sorry I missed the resident meeting.

The noise coming off these steel speed bumps is very intrusive. It’s as if there is someone outside your front windows firing off shotgun rounds. When buses go over them (120 buses pass over these each day) or heavy goods vehicles it’s as if a canon is going off. On top of that you have the associated noises of cars slowing down/speeding up to accommodate them. All in all a very noisy intrusion on an on going basis. More such bumps and the associated noise will only increase.

Speed bumps may be necessary (even though they are not present anywhere else in the Rathborne/Pelletstown/RCP development) but I would suggest we push for tarmac sleepers rather than these steel ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

The noise coming off these steel speed bumps is very intrusive. It’s as if there is someone outside your front windows firing off shotgun rounds. When buses go over them (120 buses pass over these each day) or heavy goods vehicles it’s as if a canon is going off. On top of that you have the associated noises of cars slowing down/speeding up to accommodate them. All in all a very noisy intrusion on an on going basis. More such bumps and the associated noise will only increase.

Speed bumps may be necessary (even though they are not present anywhere else in the Rathborne/Pelletstown/RCP development) but I would suggest we push for tarmac sleepers rather than these steel ones.

The issue is less the speed bumps and more the speed that people go over them, I was on the 120 the other day and the bus driver did not bother to even slow down slightly, If it continues after I move in I will complain to Dublin bus, Trucks are mostly there for Ballymore as such a complaint can be made to them.

Some one asked about Creches, There if Giraffe which is a 3 minute drive / 10 minute walk from the development. There is also a smaller one closer.

We are using Giraffe and we like it, Meals are provided in the price, there is outdoor space and different rooms for different ages of children. The staff are all very nice and pleasant.

The smaller creche who's name I can not remember is closer but does not provide meals, I don't know much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Yes, but someone has posted previously or perhaps on the RCP facebook page that as of last week at the community meeting attended by the council etc that there are no plans to upgrade in the near to medium future.
    That was me. We were told that the greenway plans have been shelved indefinitely, with the new cycling budget. In the ensuing discussion about the path as a facility for cyclists (I personally plan on using it only as a pedestrian for Luas access), I got the impression that nobody was aware of any immediate plans to improve the path. This was not directly said; more of an impression on my part, so take it with a grain of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sir Scruff

Hi there,

We have just snagged our house and have a quick question. A previous poster mentioned that ballymore had concreted/paved over cavity vents at the rear of the house. My partner and I were conscious of this while snagging and went to look for the same. We couldn't make out any vents around the bottom of the rear exterior wall but our snagger said not to worry about it. There appear to be vents at the top and middle of the walls, but none around the bottom.

Here is a quick picture of the back.

2kGA1j.jpg

Any idea what these look like and is it something we should be concerned about?

Everything else seemed ok with snagging. Mostly minor cosmetic stuff.

Thanks!

Yeah, they really should be tarmac rather than steal ones. Speaking of roads in the area and safety, while walking the dog last I saw a driver nearly hit a small child. The driver had her head burred in a phone and moved forward suddenly after being stopped in the road. Only for the child's mother literally pulling the child back from the front of the car, there would have been a serious injury. Traffic in the area I think will be the main community problem going forward.

Sir Scruff wrote: »
    Hi there,

We have just snagged our house and have a quick question. A previous poster mentioned that ballymore had concreted/paved over cavity vents at the rear of the house. My partner and I were conscious of this while snagging and went to look for the same. We couldn't make out any vents around the bottom of the rear exterior wall but our snagger said not to worry about it. There appear to be vents at the top and middle of the walls, but none around the bottom.

Here is a quick picture of the back.

Any idea what these look like and is it something we should be concerned about?

Everything else seemed ok with snagging. Mostly minor cosmetic stuff.

Thanks!

Well come to the neighborhood!

Looks like they never installed yours at all at all. There is meant to be cavity vents at the bottom of the house both front and rare. I'll dig out a photo later on for you.

Also, looks like they didn't clean your windows, I'd put that into the snagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MengJiang

Hi there, has anyone obtained the actual measurements of their house from the builders before? If you have, will you provide me the Email of the contact to get the measurements? SF says that builders do not give out such information. But we have zero trust for SF at the moment and would like to confirm it. Thanks!

Nhol78 wrote: »
    The issue is less the speed bumps and more the speed that people go over them, I was on the 120 the other day and the bus driver did not bother to even slow down slightly, If it continues after I move in I will complain to Dublin bus, Trucks are mostly there for Ballymore as such a complaint can be made to them.

Some one asked about Creches, There if Giraffe which is a 3 minute drive / 10 minute walk from the development. There is also a smaller one closer.

We are using Giraffe and we like it, Meals are provided in the price, there is outdoor space and different rooms for different ages of children. The staff are all very nice and pleasant.

The smaller creche who's name I can not remember is closer but does not provide meals, I don't know much more about it.

Yes, the speed at which the buses go over the speed bumps adds to the noise pollution but in my experience (living on Bridge Ave since end Jan) every 2nd or 3rd vehicle hits the bumps at an inappropriate speed therefore increasing the noise pollution. We can’t complain to anyone about this outside of the Garda who aren’t in a position to do anything about it short of having a presence on the street 24/7. There are also quite a few ‘souped up’ Subarus and Celicas local to the area. They’re low to the ground, have big alloy wheels and large exhausts. They need to go particularly slow over the bumps but then the noise coming off the exhaust as they excelerate away literally sends vibrations through our house. Like I say these speed bumps may be a necessity from a safety perspective (although they don’t seem to be slowing most of the traffic passing over them) but by god they are a noisy pollutant in a very real sense. Probably worth residents on Bridge Ave getting together to discuss before anything permanent is put in place one way or another.

Re Creche’s. We have our 3 year old in the Queen Bee’s Montessori which is a minute walk away. So far so good .

Smell in Kitchen update

Update on the smell coming into the kitchen from the dishwasher/sink. Apparently the outside gully was completely blocked including the swan neck and rancid. This would potentially was the root cause. We're to give it a couple days to see if that addressed the problem.
    MengJiang wrote: »
    Hi there, has anyone obtained the actual measurements of their house from the builders before? If you have, will you provide me the Email of the contact to get the measurements? SF says that builders do not give out such information. But we have zero trust for SF at the moment and would like to confirm it. Thanks!

Which house type? The builders provide plans in PDF. You can contact Tom at Ballymore for them. If it's a herron I can post.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Nhol78 wrote: »

Queen B's . we have been using it for the last 2 years, couldnt recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Just in snagging now. The island looks very wrong, shelf is much lower than the show house, no place for a stool, and it's way too lose to the back door.

Anyone get the island altered and was it much hassle and cost to do so?

Hi,

Herron plans:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f20x46vi5br84mr/L03-01%20E%202nd%20Flr%20Plan.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1aehhc88obxa09e/L03-00%20J%20Ground%20%26%20First%20Flr%20Plans.pdf?dl=0

You're actual house will be slightly different and these are for the herrons facing onto the canal. The ones on bridge avenue are mirrored for some reason.

MOD Note:

There is copyright on these plans but they were freely distributed to me from Ballymore. I assume they are OK to put up.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they really should be tarmac rather than steal ones. Speaking of roads in the area and safety, while walking the dog last I saw a driver nearly hit a small child. The driver had her head burred in a phone and moved forward suddenly after being stopped in the road. Only for the child's mother literally pulling the child back from the front of the car, there would have been a serious injury. Traffic in the area I think will be the main community problem going forward.

totally agree Manion re traffic being an issue. The roads (even RCP Ave and Bridge Ave) are particularly narrow meaning there is very little margin for error by drivers or pedestrians. We have 2 kids and getting them to and from the car is a scary drama . You have to have firmly man handle them as there is no buffer between the car and to busy road. On this basis I would strongly suggest to all residents in Phelan Park that they give serious consideration to keeping it closed at the Bridge Ave end.

Advertisement