Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you kill an intruder if you were guaranteed to get away scot free?

Options
  • 01-05-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭

Had a lively discussion with some friends lately saying that if they had a gun and happened across an intruder in their house they would pull the trigger no questions asked, its them or me.
    But really, could you kill an intruder if you had the means or is that standpoint often just bravado especially for men?
    If for the sake of argument you had a choice between killing them and getting away with it or restraining them and handing them over to the cops, what would you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

100% yes, and would sleep peacefully at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Top of the stairs, stark naked, with a cross bow.
    Wouldn't think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

like someone desperate breaking to steal food because the homeless situation is going mad

or

some evil rich villain trying to find my man-drawer to steal all my cool stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Had a lively discussion with some friends lately saying that if they had a gun and happened across  an intruder in their house they would pull the trigger no questions asked, its them or me.
    But really, could you kill an intruder if you had the means or is that standpoint often just bravado especially for men?
    If for the sake of argument you had a choice between killing them and getting away with it or restraining them and handing them over to the cops, what would you do?

Is that you Padraig Nally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Had a lively discussion with some friends lately saying that if they had a gun and happened across an intruder in their house they would pull the trigger no questions asked, its them or me.

If they had any type of weapon in their hands, I'd gun them down without any remorse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I wouldn't think twice. Their own fault for breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Not a chance. I don't own anything worth taking someone's life for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Top of the stairs, stark naked, with a cross bow.
    Wouldn't think twice.

So what would be your preferred order of preparation in the event the intruder makes an entrance?

Finding the cross-bow or getting your kit off?

In fairness, the getting naked bit probably isn't necessary in practice, but hey, whatever floats your boat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

No. Death for b&e is a very harsh punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RayM wrote: »
    Not a chance. I don't own anything worth taking someone's life for.

Your own life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Your own life?

Like he said... nothing worth taking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

100% yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Your own life?

The average intruder doesn't want to kill you; they just want your stuff. If your life is under threat, that's a completely different question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's just a standpoint of bravado for most people and they know it. I'm not a psychopath so no, I wouldn't kill them unless they had intentions of killing me or family/friend in the house. Unless that intruder was intent on physically harming someone in the house, I would likely hold him at gunpoint and call the guards. If you were to shoot an intruder who's sole intent was just to steal your paintings etc. and you kill them for it, then you are far worse than them. It is far from reasonable in fact. I'd actually recommend checking out DPP cases to see what happens to those who go far beyond reasonable force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Bang bang. One shot and it'd be all over for them.

If I had a gun.

Sadly I don't, so I'd probably just shout loudly and try to make my fur stand on end to appear bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

So what would be your preferred order of preparation in the event the intruder makes an entrance?

Finding the cross-bow or getting your kit off?

In fairness, the getting naked bit probably isn't necessary in practice, but hey, whatever floats your boat :)

Getting naked is 33% of my defense plan. I'd be just another nutter with a cross bow if I was wearing any clothes.

It adds to the image too, no one wants to see a naked man with a cross bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

think of the mess it would make

Getting naked is 33% of my defense plan. I'd be just another nutter with a cross bow if I was wearing any clothes.

It adds to the image too, no one wants to see a naked man with a cross bow.

I'm sure someone has a fetish for it, probably a German

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Yep..
    I have a golf club under the bed..
    I"d give it to them between the eyes...
    Having said that anytime the alarm does go off I panic and run around in circles..

Beyondgone wrote: »

If I had a gun.

Sadly I don't, so I'd probably just shout loudly and try to make my fur stand on end to appear bigger.

Would you be naked too???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Beyondgone wrote: »

If I had a gun.

That's two shots.

Proper procedure is to shoot them first, then shout loudly "Stop or I'll shoot", then fire a second shot into the ceiling.

Forensics isn't going to know the order of the shots and to any witness, you warned them fairly in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

There was a time when I would have said yes...but I don't think I would....taking a life?...think about it for a minute...it's a life...so I wouldn't.

...... is that standpoint often just bravado especially for men?.............

Well you know your friends more than us :pac:
    They sound full of sh1t to me.

A mate of mine maintains he has a golf club just in case, now in a hall or landing I reckon a gold club is a useless weapon as there's little space to swing it........... the same chap has never been in a fight & is built like a box of matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Naked with a horn , changes the whole dynamic of the situation

snowflaker wrote: »
    Would you be naked too???

Pffft. Newb question! Of course. How else would they see my standey-uppey fur?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Depends,if they are just cming in for a tv or playstation then ill just pound the **** out of them with a bat,if they are in my kids rooms i pound them to death with said bat

All these nekkid nerds - intruder sue for PTSD

OU812 wrote: »
    That's two shots.

Proper procedure is to shoot them first, then shout loudly "Stop or I'll shoot", then fire a second shot into the ceiling.

Forensics isn't going tonnnow he order of the shots and to any witness, you warned them fairly in advance.

That was actually no shots. My engorged fur probably just confused you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

4Ad wrote: »
    Yep..
    Having said that anytime the alarm does go off I panic and run around in circles then I hide under the bed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

4Ad wrote: »
    Yep..
    Having said that anytime the alarm does go off I panic and run around in circles..
    Some old guy tried that once (Clontarf?)
    He chased a young guy waving his golf club.
    The young lad took it from him and knocked seven bells out of him.
    Think it through a little, please.

Advertisement