Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you kill an intruder if you were guaranteed to get away scot free?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would have always said "no I couldn't take someones life" but since we had our son, I wouldn't think twice about killing to protect him. Even if it was someone I knew, never mind an intruder. I don't know if I'd be able to though, physically I mean. I'm short and have no weapons. My two dogs might mouth off but I doubt they'd attack anybody, my hope is the barking would put someone off in the first place.
    We do have trees outside our window, so I've always thought in the case of fire or intruder, that would be our escape route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Unless they threatened my life or the lives of my loved ones, no.

I don't believe in vigilante justice and taking the law into your own hands. I think it sets a very dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Depends on the intruder. If they were clearly just there to rob, and not cause me harm, then no Id feel very guilty for the rest of my life if I killed them. And Id really question the morality of anyone who would gladly murder somebody who intruded only to rob them and not harm them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Shoot first and ask questions later, fire the second shot through the ceiling to say you fired a warning shot. Any scumbag who comes onto my property with ill intention will leave in a coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i think its very easy to say what you would do in such a scenario in theory, but in practice you could easily end up cowering under the bed. taking a life, even that of a scumbag intruder, would leave a mark on you id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Lots of internet tough guys ITT!

Also, lots of people saying 'oh if some scumbag breaks in all bets are off!'. But what if it was some drunk eejit acting the bollocks with no malevolence intended? Or mistaken identity? Or just some tweaked out kid who had fallen on hard times? Could you live with having killed them? WOULD you actually kill them? Naked with a crossbow or otherwise?

I certainly would not unless I was 100% damn sure my life was in danger and they clearly had a weapon intent on causing harm.

And my preference would be to restrain them and call the fuzz as opposed to killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

No need to kill them, just go for a crippling shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I would stun them, put them in the bath, throw in some stock veg, and spuds, and make a stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

No, for fear of reprisal for years, always worried about how and when, who or if anything would come back to get revenge.

Now, don't get me wrong but with kids in the house any unfortunate intruder stupid enough to be anywhere inside my property will be sorry.But it's rare this bravado act is played.

An intruder will be highly alert, sight adjusted to the dark longer than somebody who just woke, already prepared with expectation to defend themselves or run.More than likely a perpetually volatile person unlike me who is in his boxers, sh*tting it, no shoes on and with a golf club from the seventies.Most of them run.

IF the gobshoite did fall while running away I would rain horror upon his soul.Just enough to keep him still until a Hyundai pulls up outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I would pull the trigger but they would hear the shot . Would not aim direct at an intruder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

House was broken into last year whilst we slept in bed, 3 year old and 4 month old in their rooms also.

Sleep deprived during the night we never heard a thing. Stole our 4 week old car that barely had 500kms on it.

The absolute fear my wife lived in for months afterwards was unmatched. She wouldn't stay in the house over night on her own and waited up until late with all the lights on until I cam home if I was ever out or at late astro soccer with the lads.

The car was replaced and anything else taken. But the fear will probably always be in the back of my wife's mind and my mind to a lesser extent. They walked around our house whilst we slept, could have been in any part of the house and in our kids room.

Anyone breaking into your property are doing so with malevolent intent. If they are brazen enough to break in whilst you sleep, they would most likely have no problem is dishing out a beating to get what they came for.

Without doubt I would shoot anyone dead who would break into my house. I wouldn't think twice and would have no remorse. I can say that with certainty. My life, my wife and kids mean more to me than some scummer scrote low life.
    I'd shoot him dead and throw him/her outside on the lawn and call the cops.

Advertisement