Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you kill an intruder if you were guaranteed to get away scot free?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pablo128 wrote: »
    With that in mind, if I managed to kill an intruder (and believe me I would do my best), I would simply put his carcass into the boot of my car and dump it up the road into a ditch.

Job done and one less burglar.
    :eek:

organics go in the brown bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Im Murican, nuff said
    You poor Irish.... you're only allowed to show the intruder to your wallet then let them tie you up

I agree with the American policy of anything goes to defend your home but i suppose the question is would you be aiming for murder if it happened? And could you just live your life no bother afterwards.
    I only have one policy, shoot to kill. no warning shots and no "shoot them in the leg to stop them" approach
    even if you go to criminal court and are proven innocent the intruder will drag you thru civil court and use the "im just a poor guy trying to make a living" defense, and if they have a snappy solicitor... "my client is not mentally competent and came from an abusive home"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Eoinbmw wrote:
    Golf club is a bad choice cant realy swing it in a house! Hatchet, hammer,wheelbrace or iron bar is what you need!

A hatchet in the house jeebus look well trying to explain that one to the cops :) hammer isn't ideal it means you have to get close and personal.

I don't own a gun . But I've often thought about it what if situations if I had a gun . The craze of the scum bags holding a boiled kettle over you in the bed looking for keys of your car and money would make you think what would I do .

If they are outside I'll call the guards and I'll tell them I'm prepared to shoot to save life and property I'm told that gets a very swift response :) saves them paperwork if they get there before you take a life .

My philosophy is simple if you want to come thru a locked gate / breach an entry into an alarmed house and pass the dog who sleeps inside then you are looking for trouble and you will get it. They'll get my type of justice if I feel my family or myself is in danger .

Hypothetically if I had a gun and I met a scumbag heading towards me, a him or me situation with family behind me without doubt He receive a round in the chest area it would be enough to persuade anyone I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We had a gang of 4 break into our house (post office & shop attached) when I was 15. Thankfully we slept through it. Going by the feeling I had the next morning and for months after... no, I wouldn't hesitate.

But it might be better to stop for a second. We had a neighbour who operated a business out of his home. He had a gun. One night he was woken up by someone trying to get in the backdoor. He got up, turned on the lights and went to open the door, gun at the ready. As he opened the door he saw someone walking away... he took aim but before he pulled the trigger, down dropped the man.

Turns out it was his 80 year old neighbour coming home from the pub. He was so drunk, he was trying to get into the wrong house. No shots fired but the neighbour had a sore head in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There are a lot of "if it was them or me" scenarios going on here.

If I had to bet on either a drugged up burglar (who has most likely been in a fair few dust ups before) or a half asleep boardsie with a golf club I know who my money would be on....

I know who my money would be on as well, if someone is angry at an intruder breaking into their house and feels they might be in danger I'd say they homeowner might have the advantage.

Padraig Nally probably lived most of his life in peace until that waste of air Frog Ward pushed him too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I was in a gun store in the US with a friend who was buying a pump action shotgun for home defence. The sales guy asked a few questions, primary use etc & came up with an (at the time) $109 matt black Remington 12 gauge.

He checked it was empty & handed it over to my friend to see what he thought. My friend held it & pumped it & the guy said, "That's sound one. You imagine in the middle of the night with the lights out, hearing that sound. You pump & then shout 'Get Out' If they don't get out, you shoot & you better shoot to kill, because there doesn't need to be another side to that story".

Remember it clear as day.

My view is, there's me & a house full of girls so if you walk in, you're gonna be carried out. Hoping I never have to act on it but feel I could with absolutely no remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would never kill somebody unless it was absolutely necessary, ie. they were threatening my life/had a deadly weapon

How would your plan work if they have a deadly weapon and you have none?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I shot and killed an intruder last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

With the way the yanks harp on about their home is their castle, the right to bear arms, and all the rest, you would think that the country would be a smouldering wasteland of dead burglars. I took a quick Google, of 300 million plus guns owned in the US by one third of the population, only 259 people were killed in what were ruled to be justifiable homicides (I'm guessing most of these were during burglaries and car jackings). I don't know if most Americans hide in the bedroom shouting that they have a gun and threatening them rather than burst out all Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino but there you go.

Ironically one of the main sources of illegally held guns in the inner cities are those stolen in rural and suburban burglaries. Rather than discourage them, burglars are hoping when they enter a property that there are guns in the house, just that the owners aren't home.

As for the OP's question about burglar fantasies:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have a gun at home so it's something I've realistically thought about and no, I definitely wouldn't kill someone because they are intruding, there would need to be a physical threat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If I had to bet on either a drugged up burglar (who has most likely been in a fair few dust ups before) or a half asleep boardsie with a golf club I know who my money would be on....

Just cos were one is a boardsie and someone is breaking into his home makes him a worse fighter than some malnourished scumbag?
    I disagree, golf club or Hurley or baseball bat etc are are all crap home defence weapons , too long , you need something that works in a dark hallway like a lead sap or a roofing hammer or three mangy gaurd dogs.

You should be allowed keep a can of pepper spray and a goggles in your own home, seems harmless long term and from what people I know in the Gaurds have told me it's a great way to pacify people. Before it's introduction they would just bop you in the head with a batton.

Would I kill an intruder? No if I thought they were there for my stuff I'd show them that I wasn't a soft target and I'd probably just run them but if they went near the wife or kid I'd wrap them in barbed wire and throw them in a bog hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IronSteve

If you pull any sort of weapon, gun or golf club, you better be prepared to use it or you'll be the one on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have my house rigged with tanks of petrol , so any intruder who gets will be burnt alive.

I'm doing this right, amnt I?

I didn't see anyone suggesting capturing and keeping the intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

If I produce my unloaded single barrel shotgun to just use as show to clear an unwanted visitor and i don't report said incident and the Gardai get wind of it they'll be out to me hotfoot to remove my shotgun and revoke my licence. Nowhere on my licence does it allow its use to threaten someone regardless of their intentions or for self defence. If i do use it in such a manner it'll be my last time holding my gun.
    Padraic Nally (who i regard as a hero who was pushed to the limit by kxxxxers) will never hold a gun again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

So many have-a-go-heros on this thread...

Not that I find them one bit credible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

snowflaker wrote: »
    So many have-a-go-heros on this thread...

Not that I find them one bit credible...

Without going into detail...it happened to me 16 years ago and it ended well for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

If I produce my unloaded single barrel shotgun to just use as show to clear an unwanted visitor and i don't report said incident and the Gardai get wind of it they'll be out to me hotfoot to remove my shotgun and revoke my licence. Nowhere on my licence does it allow its use to threaten someone regardless of their intentions or for self defence. If i do use it in such a manner it'll be my last time holding my gun.
    Padraic Nally (who i regard as a hero who was pushed to the limit by kxxxxers) will never hold a gun again.

No licence needed for a goose. It's becoming clearer and clearer that they are indeed the best home-defence implement.

That and if the bloody burglar so much as tripped because you had a loose stair, chances are they'd sue you blind and walk away with big compo. The lads going "I'd kill 'em stone dead" ought to have a bit of a think on. Ye would in yer shyté. Your life as you know it would be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Without going into detail...it happened to me 16 years ago and it ended well for me

Well done you. I find your brief tale completely believable.

Erik Shin wrote: »

It happened me 12 or 13 years ago and I didn't even aim anywhere near them. At a push, "warning shots" would be the height of it. Bye bye gun anyway. Hello "cosy chats with lots of Policemen". The next time it happens, if it happens, I'm gonna sneak out around them and lash myself through the windscreen of their parked get-away car and claim they ran me down out on the road. Then it'll be my turn to whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

In fairness the thread title is 'if you were guaranteed to get away scot free'....

• Advertisement

In fairness the thread title is 'if you were guaranteed to get away scot free'....
    Re that, after you gain some life-experience, you realise that the police will also always say "if you tell all, you'll get away scot free, we promise". this is your cue to stfu. You won't. Life isn't a Boards thread. Killing burglars tends to annoy the authorities. There are consequences.

You can suspend disbelief on some stuff, but on others, you just have to regard it as being a "Post how big of a homicidal, delusional maniac nutter you really are, despite appearances, within a safe space" thread. Stick to the goose. No one thinks geese are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Re that, after you gain some life-experience, you realise that the police will also always say "if you tell all, you'll get away scot free, we promise". this is your cue to stfu. You won't. Life isn't a Boards thread. Killing burglars tends to annoy the authorities. There are consequences.

You can suspend disbelief on some stuff, but on others, you just have to regard it as being a "Post how big of a homicidal, delusional maniac nutter you really are, despite appearances, within a safe space" thread. Stick to the goose. No one thinks geese are bad.

Actually recently the DPP refused prosecute someone who had killed an 'intruder'.

Actually recently the DPP refused prosecute someone who had killed an 'intruder'.

The fact you note that as a new and somewhat rare occurrence ought to be telling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

I would. Why should I let a scumbag rob me? What man would meekly surrender like that?

I believe you should be legally allowed to kill anyone who breaks into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I'm was actually taken aback, by the number of Golfers on boards

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I would. Why should I let a scumbag rob me? What man would meekly surrender like that?

I believe you should be legally allowed to kill anyone who breaks into your home.

I believe everyone ought to be paid €40 an hour minimum. Sadly, our beliefs are not shared by the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Beyondgone wrote: »
    The fact you note that as a new and somewhat rare occurrence ought to be telling.

I don't note that at all but thankfully it is. Burglars tend to bugger off if disturbed and the law should encourage them to do so with the knowledge that the law will be on the side of the lawful occupier smacking you aside the head with a Hurley.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No.

Unless I felt my life or that of my wife or child was in danger.

Otherwise, I'm not killing someone for my DVD player.

I would. What the hell else am I supposed to watch my Reeling in The Years DVDs on??

But yeah, on a serious note, if someone broke into my apartment and somehow managed to get past the dog, then I'd kill them and not lose sleep about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Firmly believe if you break into a persons home then all bets are off when it comes to your well-being

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

Indeed he is. It's only a shame he didn't whack Frog Ward in this decade, as the PBP AAA would no doubt be on TV making an utter fool of themselves trying to have him sent down for life for sending down such a dole scounging, thieving, useless and therefore completely and utterly legendary hero of the Irish hard left due to his "ethnic minority" status.

As unlikely as it is, I hope to hell Murphy gets sent down later this month, preferably ending up roomed with some of the scum he and his cronies love so much in the cell to entertain him.

Advertisement