Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa.....the joke that keeps on giving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    Apologies.

Yeah, this isn't great from either side.

No need for an apology, this thread tricks you into defending terrible people because there are posters who revel in extreme behaviour.

Sample exchanges;

New poster: I don't think its right that antifa are throwing fireworks into crowds
    Guy with 600 posts in thread: SO YOU THINK ITS OKAY TO GAS JEWS THEN???!!??!?!??!
    New poster: No but violence isn't the answer, and what if an innocent bystander got hurt
    Guy with 600 posts in thread: THERE ARE NO INNOCENT BYSTANDERS, EITHER YOU'RE WITH US OR AGAINST US!
    New poster: You know what, f*ck you and f*ck antifa!

New poster: Doing Nazi salutes is wrong, these people should be allowed to stand against neo-Nazism
    Guy with 600 posts in thread: FREE SPEECH BRO, SNOWFLAKE CUCKS ARE GONNA GET SMUSHED!
    New poster: Antifa are American heroes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

20Cent wrote: »
    She doesn't seem to be "crying" about it. She was interviewed describing what happened. Yer man didn't even bruise her. Nazi punch to a girls face and she brushed it off. Some master race he is.

That's a strange argument, should he have hit her square and knocked her out cold or killed her? What he did was ugly but I'd say he was pulling his punches so as to not actually kill her. Damigo is an ex-marine so I'm sure he could have caused serious damage if he wanted to. The Antifa girl comes across as being incredibly naive, she doesn't look like a girl that is fit for any kind of fighting to be honest and has no business going to a confrontation where violence is inevitable.

I've been watching Antifa for a while now and they seem to be coming very close to crossing a line that they would want to think long and hard about. They could go from being a deluded bunch of agitators to being seen as terrorists very quickly if they don't draw their horns. They have some very sinister figures propping them up from behind the scenes.

https://www.facebook.com/BostonAntifa/photos/a.1312871942084794.1073741828.1312402372131751/1372528089452512/?type=3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Seanachai wrote: »
    That's a strange argument, should he have hit her square and knocked her out cold or killed her? What he did was ugly but I'd say he was pulling his punches so as to not actually kill her. Damigo is an ex-marine so I'm sure he could have caused serious damage if he wanted to. The Antifa girl comes across as being incredibly naive, she doesn't look like a girl that is fit for any kind of fighting to be honest and has no business going to a confrontation where violence is inevitable.

I've been watching Antifa for a while now and they seem to be coming very close to crossing a line that they would want to think long and hard about. They could go from being a deluded bunch of agitators to being seen as terrorists very quickly if they don't draw their horns. They have some very sinister figures propping them up from behind the scenes.

https://www.facebook.com/BostonAntifa/photos/a.1312871942084794.1073741828.1312402372131751/1372528089452512/?type=3

Boston antifa is a troll account.
    Check your sources it's been mentioned several times in this thread.

I'll look into it when I'm not on restricted internet, what do you think is going to happen if Antifa continue to escalate their violence? How long before they maim or kill somebody with an IED and somebody on the other side retaliates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'll look into it when I'm not on restricted internet, what do you think is going to happen if Antifa continue to
    escalate their violence? How long before they maim or kill somebody with an IED and somebody on the other side retaliates?

Why do you think it will escalate?
    White supremacists have been bombing and murdering in the US for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

At 19 seconds there is one sleeveless fella ......Pushing by other people to do so.
    If you're going to provide lengthy video analysis you'd probably want to provide a link to the video that you're talking about.
    In the one I watched she was looking straight at him at 32 seconds.
    And for someone not sticking up for any group you seem to be going to quite some effort to defend a bottle wielding thug who was out looking for a fight.
    But if he's your hero, then by all means worship away. Fair play to him and all. For hitting her while she was "looking straight at him". Good man.
    Wow, one reply and your already getting personal and suggesting that he's my hero.
    Ah sure he should have raped her as well while he was at it. Sure that'd learn her fairly lively wouldn't it? And her being "fair game" and all
    Now you're straw manning. No one was suggesting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Are you trying to make a "but other people are racist too" excuse? Not really interested in that thanks

No just want to hear you opinion

Glenster wrote: »
    The dude who traveled 100's of miles in riot gear to rally in support of far right groups didnt like what the weedy (19?) year old was saying so he sucker punched him in the face. A real american hero.

19....isnt that considered a man??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Why so much fighting between communists and Patriots in America all of a sudden? Have the communists still not got over Trump winning yet? Maybe it is a battle for America. Keep communism out at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I'm not sticking up for any "group" or ideology. I don't care what "side" she was on. A few pages back I posted that it was a disgrace the way your man Spencer was sucker punched during his street interview

I know mate I was only making a joke off your username! :D

• Advertisement

Why do you think it will escalate?
    White supremacists have been bombing and murdering in the US for decades.

I don't think we're going to agree on what qualifies as a white supremacist here somehow, I could be wrong. I'm not denying that there are white supremacist groups operating in the US, the vast majority of the Trump supporters at the Berkeley riot would not fit into that bracket though, nationalists who happen to be white yes, but not WS.

Antifa may have done some good work in the past in stamping out WS in certain areas, but they seem to have lost the plot in misidentifying Trump supporters or anybody who isn't left/liberal as being fascist. They're painting themselves as the last barrier against some kind of fascist takeover that doesn't even exist. I wouldn't like to be a student or a lecturer with nationalist views in a US college at the moment, they're beginning to look more like asylums for hysterical types who are seeing threat where it doesn't exist.

What is it that Antifa are actually trying to achieve? Besides revving up naive middle class girls to go into street fights and get battered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Brian? wrote: »
    So is your contention that Stalinism and Maoism were actually practical applications of Marxist theory? Because you haven't actually explained the flaw in my argument, you've merely attacked me with the same tired rhetoric I was attempting to counter.

There is no such thing as a communist ideologies really. There's communism, I.e the end state of Marxism, then there's ideologies influenced by Marxist theory.

Any authoritarian system claiming to be communist is not actually communist, as communism cannot be enforced by a central power. Centralised, authoritarian power is an anathema to communism.

The central tenant of Marxism is that only the workers can set themselves free, no one can do it for them. It's an idea that's completely anti authoritarian, yet it was bastardised by the Bolsheviks to enslave a nation to a central authoritarian party. Mao followed the model in China.

Terrible arguments?

Yeah. Like I said: Communism is socially and economically impossible (with the exception of a handful of lads on a desert island) system and Lenin et al realized this towards the end. When reality is bent back towards communism, then very bad things start to happen. Nietzsche and Dostoevsky warned you lads about this bollox; man applying rationalist, psuedo utopian fantasies and bending reality to accommodate that. It always ends in death.

So when Lenin tried (and Lenin, unlike Stalin, did believe this shìte, he was an academic first and foremost) to apply his dictatorship of the proletariat before the transition into the stateless society he found out that it was economically and socially impossible. Which lead to death, civil war and famine. Then Stalin gets in in 1924 and declares the end point of history. Which also ended in death, civil war and famine. It's the same pattern again and again. Hell, you could probably make the same argument for capitalism: that these days there aren't any capitalist societies in the pure sense of the word, and capitalism converges on corporatism?

Unless you're from the Frankfurt School whereby people have to have their culture changed for glorious revolution to happen?

The only good thing you can say about communist guided systems is that the people suffer under the system so much, that they become immune from a lot of leftist crap when it does fall apart.

Who is going to have a better chance of surviving the next few decades? Ex communist Hungary or extreme left Sweden?

It's amazing that this post is so long and yet it isn't actually a response to my post.

Before it descends into predictable hyperbole about the damage caused by "the left", I think you agreed that the USSR wasn't communist. Which was the only point I made.

I don't like to answer a question with a question, but what are Hungary and Sweden looking to survive through? I give them both an equal chance of "surviving" as nations for the next few decades. If I was to put a number on it, I'd say 99.99999999999999999999999% likelihood of survival.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I think you agreed that the USSR wasn't communist. Which was the only point I made. 
    Whoever said that should go read a book on the subject of the Soviet Union. It absolutely was communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was just thinking

Given that the US has well and truly jumped the shark at this point can we create a US politics subforum/dumping ground so the SJW/alt-right fanboys can have their little spats where the grown ups who weren't weaned on reddit/4chan don't have them infesting every thread with their jeremy kyle antics?

Whoever said that should go read a book on the subject of the Soviet Union. It absolutely was communism.

this its stalinism argument is total bollocks.

Stalinism=some greedy capitalist works hard and accumulates wealth, the government takes it from him

Marxism=some greedy capitalist works hard and accumulates wealth, the populace takes it from him

flawed utopian ideology and without it the soviet union never would have happened...but they changed it a little bit but so marx and his insane book get off free again

Bambi wrote: »
    I was just thinking

Given that the US has well and truly jumped the shark at this point can we create a US politics subforum/dumping ground so the SJW/alt-right fanboys can have their little spats where the grown ups who weren't weaned on reddit/4chan don't have them infesting every thread with their jeremy kyle antics?

how about just dont go onto threads you dont want to read maybe? works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I was just thinking

If you're going to be complaining about a petty, childish standard of posting maybe don't go on to engage in it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you're going to be complaining about a petty, childish standard of posting maybe don't go on to engage in it yourself.

Absolutely not. It's different when I do it

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Many people have issues with the state of Israel and how they operate. He contributed to The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel,, Women against Violence, Arab Association for Human Rights, National Committee of Heads of Arab Local Authorities in Israel,. There's nothing particularly any of the groups they mentioned to the best of my knowledge. So throwing out links makes you no less intelligible.

He would have been aged 14, pretending not to be Jewish. He was not the only Jewish person in that situation and none would have been classified as collaborators by any historian or semi decent person. Your utterly terrible grasp of the situation that these people were in just displays an inability to empathise with his situation. It seems like you have a thing against Soros but when your shown up as wrong, you double down.

By the way, can you find a reputable historian or anyone credible that would actually agree with your claim? The Anti Defamation League for example have condemned claims like yours. They literally combat things like anti semitism...

Non practising Jewish Family
    Calls 1944 " The best year of his life "
    Went out many times & helped in the confiscation of property from fellow Jews
    Admitted he enjoyed it
    Q: No feelings of guilt? A: No, only feelings of absolute power
    Gives money to Anti-Israel, Anti-Zionist causes
    10million to pro Palestine groups since 2001
    By the way I am not Anti Semitic or Anti Israel nor is it Anti Semitic to call into question his history when plenty of Israelis have also done so

Depp wrote: »

this its stalinism argument is total bollocks.

Stalinism=some greedy capitalist works hard and accumulates wealth, the government takes it from him

Marxism=some greedy capitalist works hard and accumulates wealth, the populace takes it from him

flawed utopian ideology and without it the soviet union never would have happened...but they changed it a little bit but so marx and his insane book get off free again

It's fairly clear you have a flawed understanding of Marxism. But I've explained why you're wrong 2 pages ago. Have you read that post? Is there something specific you disagree with?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

It's fairly clear you have a flawed understanding of Marxism. But I've explained why you're wrong 2 pages ago. Have you read that post? Is there something specific you disagree with?

no you explained nothing to me, you told me i was wrong, went back to the stalinism nonsense and muttered some nonsense about the bolshevics which i dispute, My disagreement with marxism is its a great idea with no practicality, without a strongarm govt to enforce it it will never work outside of small hippy communes. You're welcome to go live this life if you wish, you're an idiot, but you're still welcome to it. Karl Marx was an idiot from a wealthy background with big ideals and little understanding of economics, which is even more ironic given he was a member of the bourgeois he so despised. Just don't use violence to silence those that disagree.

just because you said it doesnt make it true, do i even need to bother asking if you have evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

With all respect, if someone came on here arguing for economic corporatism, racial supremacy and expansionist foreign policies, fascism essentially, and you pointed to the failure of Fascist states like Nazi Germany or 1930s Japan, and they replied:

'Well that wasn't real Fascism, Hitler/Tojo wasn't a proper Fascist, if he had done Fascism the way it should have been done everyone would be happy'

Would you really have much time for them? Would you even take them seriously? This strikes me as the essential problem of ideologies like Communism, they simply appear to take the same old failed ideas and try to run them through the wringer again.

no you explained nothing to me, you told me i was wrong, went back to the stalinism nonsense and muttered some nonsense about the bolshevics which i dispute, My disagreement with marxism is its a great idea with no practicality, without a strongarm govt to enforce it it will never work outside of small hippy communes. You're welcome to go live this life if you wish, you're an idiot, but you're still welcome to it. Karl Marx was an idiot from a wealthy background with big ideals and little understanding of economics, which is even more ironic given he was a member of the bourgeois he so despised. Just don't use violence to silence those that disagree.

Again. You don't understand Marxism. What specifically do you disagree with in my earlier post?

I wasn't aware it was possible to mutter on boards. I will endeavour to be more clearly spoken in future posts.

they/them/theirs

With all respect, if someone came on here arguing for economic corporatism, racial supremacy and expansionist foreign policies, fascism essentially, and you pointed to the failure of Fascist states like Nazi Germany or 1930s Japan, and they replied:

'Well that wasn't real Fascism, Hitler/Tojo wasn't a proper Fascist, if he had done Fascism the way it should have been done everyone would be happy'

Would you really have much time for them? Would you even take them seriously? This strikes me as the essential problem of ideologies like Communism, they simply appear to take the same old failed ideas and try to run them through the wringer again.

I would listen to their reasoning and reply with actual arguments. I would attempt to point out the flaws in their logic and engage with their actual argument and not hand wave the entire thing away.

Communism isn't reallt an ideology, it's the end state of a socialist system. Do I need to explain this? Anyone who believes that a society can be forcibly transformed into a communist society is an idiot. It doesn't work and should never have been attempted.

If someone attempts to carve a stone into a statue with a blunt spoon, do you assume that all attempts at sculpture are impossible? Or do you assess their methodology and make an attempt with a chisel?

they/them/theirs

Again. You don't understand Marxism. What specifically do you disagree with in my earlier post?

I wasn't aware it was possible to mutter on boards. I will endeavour to be more clearly spoken in future posts.

In my opinion Stalinism is just the climax of all the authoritarian faults of Marxism. argue all you like but why in the 150 years since he proposed his theory have we yet to see a successful implementation of it? Why does every example of it being used lead to totalitarian states? It doesn't work, it can't work, we know this from over a hundred years of people trying it and failing, but why do people still insist on it could work? there has to come a point where after enough failures you put a bad idea to bed.

ah calling out someones wording, is there a more clear sign of someone running out of arguments?

In my opinion Stalinism is just the climax of all the authoritarian faults of Marxism. argue all you like but why in the 150 years since he proposed his theory have we yet to see a successful implementation of it? Why does every example of it being used lead to totalitarian states? It doesn't work, it can't work, we know this from over a hundred years of people trying it and failing, but why do people still insist on it could work? there has to come a point where after enough failures you put a bad idea to bed.

ah calling out someones wording, is there a more clear sign of someone running out of arguments?

Simply put, Your opinion is wrong. It's based on incorrect assumptions. Your biggest incorrect assumption is that Marxism is authoritarian in nature. Marxism is anti authoritarian.

I'm calling out your wording because it's frustrating having nonsense thrown at me when I'm trying to engage in a logical fashion. I'm not running out of arguments, I'm making the same one repeatedly as it hasn't been successfully rebutted.

they/them/theirs

Simply put, Your opinion is wrong. It's based on incorrect assumptions. Your biggest incorrect assumption is that Marxism is authoritarian in nature. Marxism is anti authoritarian.

I'm calling out your wording because it's frustrating having nonsense thrown at me when I'm trying to engage in a logical fashion. I'm not running out of arguments, I'm making the same one repeatedly as it hasn't been successfully rebutted.

merely telling me im wrong is not rebutting my points though is it?:D the only point you have made is ''You're wrong, you dont understand!'' essentially. This rebutts itself. I've studied marxism at length and from this my take is it can only lead to authoritarianism. The belief it does not flies completely in the face of human nature. Do you have any explanation for why we have yet to see a successful implementation of marxist theory?

Also as this is an antifa thread not a ''was stalinism marxism'' thread what are your opinions on antifa?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I was just thinking

Ah listening to twenty somethings breathlessly trying to defend their brand new half formed political "opinions" is fun.

They're finding their way in life and this helps them feel Adult.

That they are unaware that every generation goes through this phase will cause them some embarrassment when they hit their late twenties early thirties but its all harmless enough.

• Advertisement

just because you said it doesnt make it true, do i even need to bother asking if you have evidence?

No, its the only thing they've been right about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement