Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

infogiver wrote: »
    This is great. I hope we can take the next big step now and allow pubs to open and let the customers in on Christmas Day too like they do in the UK.

Surely if we wanted to abandon laws based on an ancient book then Christmas day itself should go entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

A disgraceful decision which will lead to more thuggery on the streets and tragedies on the roads, Its a backwards step as a nation and an insult to the meaning of Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely if we wanted to abandon laws based on an ancient book then Christmas day itself should go entirely.

Yes: In a truly secular state it should but it won't happen. EIther way people need holidays.

Anyhow, the modern christmas has absolutely nothing to do with religion anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well, sure, but people still need holidays. People don't need a certain number of dry days enforced on them to function though.

I mean, you could abolish Christmas and have a public holiday on the 22nd of December instead but it really wouldn't make a difference. People will be doing the same thing since Christmas has lost most of its religious value with most people.

Changing Christmas holidays would be doing so out of spite. Lifting a religious alcohol ban would be removing a needless restriction.

Not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Peregrine wrote: »
    Well, sure, but people still need holidays. People don't need a certain number of dry days enforced on them to function though.

I mean, you could abolish Christmas and have a public holiday on the 22nd of December instead but it really wouldn't make a difference. People will be doing the same thing since Christmas has lost most of its religious value with most people.

Changing Christmas holidays would be doing so out of spite. Lifting a religious alcohol ban would be removing a needless restriction.

Not the same thing.

I was responding to a guy who didn't want laws based on religion. A day off based on Christmas is such a law.

There's an obsession with drink in this country. I'm not religious but I hate paddy's day, for its messy drunken nonsense. I bet good Friday becomes another version of that even if it isn't a day off for most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was responding to a guy who didn't want laws based on religion. A day off based on Christmas is such a law.

There's an obsession with drink in this country. I'm not religious but I hate paddy's day, for its messy drunken nonsense. I bet good Friday becomes another version of that even if it isn't a day off for most.

Why would Good Friday become like Patrick's Day? It's a normal day.

There are no activities around it apart from Stations of the Cross.

People drink more now than if the pubs are open.

Also, Paddy's Day is not as bad as you're making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

toptom wrote: »
    A disgraceful decision which will lead to more thuggery on the streets and tragedies on the roads, Its a backwards step as a nation and an insult to the meaning of Good Friday.

Reversing a step taken as a direct result of organised religion and allowing people a greater degree of choice is now referred to as "backwards"?

I think you might want to take a look just a little closer to home.

As for more thuggery - people want what they can't have. Now they can have it they will want it less. The streets might be quieter but the binge sessions (at €24 a slab instead of €5 a pint) will be reduced by a massive percentage. If anything it'll reduce drinking on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Faye was my favourite, with talk of a reunion in the next year or two!

Great step, but RIP National House Party Day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

From a tourism perspective it must be a nightmare. Especially being a Friday when a lot of people come into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Judeo-Christian culture forged the values of the west. Created our civilisation.

You can be very thankful for what they did for all of you.

Try growing up in an Islamic country maybe instead.

Judeo-Christian my arse. Read a book.

The Jews suffered far more at the hands of the Christian world than the Islamic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

SPDUB wrote: »
    Where did I say it wasn't brought in because of a religious reason .

I just said it wasn't pushed by the church .

As I said it was pushed by some "holier than thou" types , who wanted to show they were better catholics than the church .

The same type of people who got some films banned in this country which had the "Catholic league of Decency" seal of approval in the USA .

Ah misunderstood. Definitely the ban should be lifted in any case.

Deedsie wrote: »
    National alcohol dependence awareness day is what it seems to me. The panic people get in over a pub being closed for a single day shows what kind of people we are and what our priorities are in Ireland.

I'm perfectly happy to have a couple of alcohol free days in the Irish calendar. Not in anyway a religious thing.

Sure. Can we move it to a definitive date as opposed to the weird mess it is now. Just have those dates on the same day every year.

Not that your proposal would do anything to reduce drinking in the country, it would just create more house parties. Still you needed some reason to keep the ban and this is the closest thing to a serious argument I have seen. Still wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I am not religious but
    Not in anyway a religious thing but
    Etc etc
    Looks like the RCC won't have the Gardai to do their work for them much longer. Still they have Church penalties they can use. Can't the PP park outside the pub and take names? Good condemnation from the altar on Easter Sunday, refuse them communion, put their kids out of the RCC national school. Wait a minute...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Christmas Day and Stephens Day St Patrick's Day Good Friday and Easter Monday and the October and June public holiday should all be normal days of school and work.
    All are based on religious holidays and we should push ahead to have them abolished.
    If you want to celebrate the 7th Sunday of Easter (Whit Sunday otherwise known as the June public holiday) go right ahead but don't expect to get a paid day off work on the Monday.
    Why should your employer pay for your religious beliefs?
    Christmas is a load of nonsense too. Spend time with your family and eat turkey and buy your kids a pile of rubbish on your own time.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I am not religious but
    Not in anyway a religious thing but
    Etc etc
    Looks like the RCC won't have the Gardai to do their work for them much longer. Still they have Church penalties they can use. Can't the PP park outside the pub and take names? Good condemnation from the altar on Easter Sunday, refuse them communion, put their kids out of the RCC national school. Wait a minute...
    Wait a minute for what? I'm really interested in where and when you saw the Gardai waiting outside a pub on GF under the instructions of a parish priest? And which church you saw people refused communion etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I hate how people respond to no drinking on Good Friday. Well, I think the alcohol ban on Good Friday is a relic of the Catholic Church that shouldn't being imposed on people (especially given how many non-Catholics we have). But this idiotic tradition of rushing out, stocking up, and ensuring the day is spent as drunk as possible to live with the fear that there's no pubs open is just plain daft. So basically I have little sympathy for either argument based on underlying stupidity of both law and reaction to it, but I'm generally on the side of get religious rules out of our laws.

Edit @ infogiver; I think he was indicating that if the Catholic Church wants punishments for people who break a holy fast, they should punish people under their own religious rules for breaking a religious rules (i.e. PP goes and stands there to take names, refusing Communion, etc) rather than relying on the State to waste its time enforcing religious stuff (like arresting pub-owners who open on that day).

Wait a minute for what? I'm really interested in where and when you saw the Gardai waiting outside a pub on GF under the instructions of a parish priest? And which church you saw people refused communion etc?

:D Enjoy playing with your straw man. I really want to see the Chirch enforce its regulations on its followers. Why all the pussyfooting around? A strong virile Catholicism is what's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

We should have a national non drinking day , Sponsored by an bord bainne .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

How about this for a suggestion

We remove the ban but..... if you think the ban should remain, then stay out of the pub by your own choice.

I mean FFS do we need laws to stop you from going to the pub if you feel you shouldn't drink on a particular day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Why are people annoyed over the reaction (people rushing out and buying drink on Holy Thursday). It's none of your business. If you don't want to drink, then don't. Others see it as a bit of a game and want to show the Church/Government how stupid this law is. I'm sure if you looked at sales you'd see a massive spike on Holy Thursday. So it actually increases consumption of alcohol. I don't drink much but used to always go to house parties on GF. Let businesses decide when to open, including Christmas Day if they want. I'd also let them decide opening hours.

Don't even get me started on Off Licences closing at 10pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would miss National House Party day. My first year in Dublin, I bought a slab on the recommendation of flatmates, and we walked around Dublin for hours, we called into a load of random flats, people who knew people. We had some great music, met great people, good friends for the day, who I would never see again. Not all of us drank, not all of us smoked, it was not some crazed drunken day of debauchery. In fact, it was just a typical college day only i did not have to go to work afterwards, which was nice.

Alas now, I am older and cannot go around on national house party day. i choose to go to work and hang out with family.

As an athiest, the thought of this interfering government stealing National House Party Day from my children before they are old enough to enjoy it is just another issue dreamt up by Big Brother.

It is not a sign of the churches influence on the state, it is just a law that was left in place. It signifies nothing about the church influencing the state or government. It's not a day of work unless you work in a pub or a bank.

It was fun for college goers, that is about it. I would be also happy if it was done on a set Friday going forward, maybe the first Friday of Spring or something.

The more I think about it, the more I realise, I don't care either way, spent more time reading this thread than I would have spent drinking on GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I really want to see the Chirch enforce its regulations on its followers..

What regulation ? There is none in the church prohibiting alcohol .

In fact it was actually the rule in some religious orders in medieval times that you had to drink a certain amount of beer every day because there was a lack of potable water

Samaris wrote: »
    I hate how people respond to no drinking on Good Friday. Well, I think the alcohol ban on Good Friday is a relic of the Catholic Church that shouldn't being imposed on people (especially given how many non-Catholics we have). But this idiotic tradition of rushing out, stocking up, and ensuring the day is spent as drunk as possible to live with the fear that there's no pubs open is just plain daft. So basically I have little sympathy for either argument based on underlying stupidity of both law and reaction to it, but I'm generally on the side of get religious rules out of our laws.

Edit @ infogiver; I think he was indicating that if the Catholic Church wants punishments for people who break a holy fast, they should punish people under their own religious rules for breaking a religious rules (i.e. PP goes and stands there to take names, refusing Communion, etc) rather than relying on the State to waste its time enforcing religious stuff (like arresting pub-owners who open on that day).

Hi samaris if yourself or fleawuss could point me to where the RCC wants the State to punish you or fleawuss or anyone else for breaking any of their rules I'd love to discuss it with you.
    I don't see where the RCC have made any official objection or even comment about pub opening hours.
    I've come to a stage in my life where I don't deal with wild speculation at all.

:D Enjoy playing with your straw man. I really want to see the Chirch enforce its regulations on its followers. Why all the pussyfooting around? A strong virile Catholicism is what's needed.

What regulations are you talking about fleawuss? There are no RCC "regulations" surrounding alcohol sales or pubs.
    GF is a fast day one of 2 in the church's year. The other is Ash Wednesday.
    If your a RC then you can fast on that day but you seem to be under the delusion that the 1+ billion RCs in the world can be monitored in this observance by the parish priest.
    How would that work fleawuss? Don't you think you sound a bit daft talking about things you don't seem to know anything about at all?

Publicans and staff won't have an option to stay at home with their families. AGS and our health and emergency services won't get an easier night than the usual weekend horror show. 363 days a year of public houses open for business is more than enough.

Our society is badly affected by alcohol misuse.

Having a day off pubs decided by the moon phases has obviously failed to cut down on Ireland's drinking. This is a terrible excuse for the religious law to remain.

Possibly come up with a decent plan to help with the country's alcohol problem because this one is a failure. I mean this is a terrible excuse, with house parties do people drink less on that day even? This law was not brought in to cut down on alcohol consumption, nor does it achieve this aim.

Ok so if the government proposed the removal of the Good Friday ban on sale of alcohol and replaced it with a ban on the sale of alcohol on the the first Friday in April every year would you support that approach?

If they showed it would help sure. I doubt it would but I would be open to the suggestion and am in fact pretty sure it would not help and would become it's own house party day though.

Edit: If you managed to show the good Friday ban did any good I would be open to that to. The fact is this has not been done.

Christy42 wrote: »
    If they showed it would help sure. I doubt it would but I would be open to the suggestion and am in fact pretty sure it would not help and would become it's own house party day though.

Edit: If you managed to show the good Friday ban did any good I would be open to that to. The fact is this has not been done.

2 garuanteed days off for staff in the whole 365. I worked in hospitality for 20 years.
    Oh we had out annual leave entitlement but with the business being 7/7 days a week GF was a day you could mark on the calendar at the start of the year as being a definite day off.

What regulations are you talking about fleawuss? There are no RCC "regulations" surrounding alcohol sales or pubs.
    GF is a fast day one of 2 in the church's year. The other is Ash Wednesday.
    If your a RC then you can fast on that day but you seem to be under the delusion that the 1+ billion RCs in the world can be monitored in this observance by the parish priest.
    How would that work fleawuss? Don't you think you sound a bit daft talking about things you don't seem to know anything about at all?

Here's a clue for you infogiver, who needs information made simple: regulations is plural. So the RCC should enforce its regulationS on its followers. It's up to that institution to decide on how it should do that. Except it can't rely on state law. Geddit?

• Advertisement

Here's a clue for you infogiver, who needs information made simple: regulations is plural. So the RCC should enforce its regulationS on its followers. It's up to that institution to decide on how it should do that. Except it can't rely on state law. Geddit?

What are you talking about "regulations is plural"? That sentence is grammatically incorrect while simultaneously not making any sense at all fleawuss.
    There is no "enforcement" of "regulations" and there are no "followers".
    If you could give me some idea what you mean by "followers" maybe I could tell you the correct terminology.
    What kind of "enforcement " methods do you imagine are in place fleawuss and who do you imagine does the "enforcing"?

Advertisement