Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Harassment Caught on Video

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

In all my years on Earth I can confidently say anyone I've known who had 'mental health issues' are loathe to avoid confrontations with people they don't know rather than seeking them out.

Well, it's nice to know that the above people you talk about, you didn't appear to believe, hence the inverted commas. It's also telling that you say pseudo-science. I'm going to hazard a guess that you might not be an authority on the subject of mental health. I personally had a neighbour with very definite mental health issues who would go up to people and yell in their faces.

I'm no expert either but then I am not definitively saying that she had mental issues, just putting it out there as a possibility. I'm not sure why anyone would disregard it with such scant information at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

__Alex__ wrote: »
    +1, especially as they already won. She looked like an eejit and had everyone present laughing at her. She flounced off looking thoroughly silly. She did not come out of the situation on top. So what was to be gained from uploading it?

I was thinking about that.

People want to share experiences with the world, good and bad.
    I see nearly as many clickbait articles in my news feed praising good deeds as denouncing the bad ones.

"You'll never guess what this young man did" (he paid for a single mother whose coupons weren't accepted at the check out)
    "Little Laura will live, thanks to this community"
    "This village in Austria set the tone for a better future" (they all turned vegan and swap their onions and potatoes)
    "This father is a hero" (he caught baby before she fell off the sofa)
    "This big brother saved his younger brother's life"
    "She saw the dog lying in the sewage pipe, what she did then will amaze you"

This video of Real Life Heroes has 27,585,430 views.
    https://youtu.be/KMYrIi_Mt8A

So yeah, posting the videos of the bullies too, that's alright by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I personally think she's probably unwell and out of control.

So you are diagnosing her on the internet. We don't need to explain away all negative behaviour by giving it a diagnosis. Giving a 'diagnosis' to a person who's horrible is excusing their behaviour.

Do you agree that some people are just nasty fuckers or can all nasty behaviour be attributed to 'mental health issues'?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭yoke

Widdershins, the clip does not warrant medical investigation of any "mental issue".
    You have not been able to give specific examples of exactly what behaviour warrants medical investigation and what medical issue you suspect (because the examples don't exist), despite having been asked many times, so I'll rest my argument.

Also you've displayed a profound lack of understanding of pretty much everything on the subject so I'm going to stop arguing with you at this point - especially the bit about heroin addicts. You're making claims as if they're fact, when you don't have a clue about the subject. I'll leave you with this last thing to think about - Is the person a heroin addict because they had psychiatric problems to begin with, or did they somehow get hooked on heroin without knowing it, and it caused psychiatric problems, which would go away as soon as they kicked the habit?
    There's no easy answer, it's just a thought exercise, but hopefully you will see that complex problems don't have simple solutions. You can't always solve heroin addiction by "cold turkey for 3 weeks", and you can't solve "people being assholes" by ignoring them and being nice to them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

+1, especially as they already won. She looked like an eejit and had everyone present laughing at her. She flounced off looking thoroughly silly. She did not come out of the situation on top. So what was to be gained from uploading it?

And she was given a good shove to help her make her exit.

They definitely won if anyone won there. I really don't get the eagerness to upload it to the Public Freakouts page. I'm not against videoing it in the first place for future reference, if needed.

• Advertisement

yoke wrote: »
    Widdershins, the clip does not warrant medical investigation of any "mental issue".
    You have not been able to give specific examples of exactly what behaviour warrants medical investigation and what medical issue you suspect (because the examples don't exist), despite having been asked many times, so I'll rest my argument.

Also you've displayed a profound lack of understanding of pretty much everything on the subject so I'm going to stop arguing with you at this point - especially the bit about heroin addicts. You're making claims as if they're fact, when you don't have a clue about the subject. I'll leave you with this last thing to think about - Is the person a heroin addict because they had psychiatric problems to begin with, or did they somehow get hooked on heroin without knowing it, and it caused psychiatric problems, which would go away as soon as they kicked the habit?
    There's no easy answer, it's just a thought exercise, but hopefully you will see that complex problems don't have simple solutions. You can't always solve heroin addiction by "cold turkey for 3 weeks", and you can't solve "people being assholes" by ignoring them and being nice to them

Yoke, I'm confident in the experience I'm speaking from and my reasons for trying to be fair/open minded, my experience is none of your business and your arrogance and condescension in making assumption about me is in keeping with your other replies. I'm not going to provide scientific evidence of anything about a woman I've never met based on a clip showing one side of an incident with no facts around it or her whatsoever. A reasonable person wouldn't ask me to. And Boards most likely wouldn't allow it, either.As to whether her actions warrant assessment, that's your opinion.

I'm not insulting or assuming anything about heroin addiction, the reasons for it or results of it, or the recovery from it. If you are providing it as an example of people with illnesses attacking and stabbing people then you'll need to explain why that's the common reason rather than the addiction. Otherwise you're just stigmatising people with unspecified illnesses.

Thank you for leaving it there and I'm happy to do the same.

Well, it's nice to know that the above people you talk about, you didn't appear to believe, hence the inverted commas. It's also telling that you say pseudo-science.

Maybe I'm suffering from ODD?

So you are diagnosing her on the internet. We don't need to explain away all negative behaviour by giving it a diagnosis. Giving a 'diagnosis' to a person who's horrible is excusing their behaviour.

Do you agree that some people are just nasty fuckers or can all nasty behaviour be attributed to 'mental health issues'?

JYT, do you not know what the word diagnosis means? It takes a long and involved process to make one. What I gave was a description of how her behaviour seemed to me. A diagnosis would be a name for an illness that the behaviour is symptomatic of. And if I did think I could tell from that clip alone, I would keep it to myself.

I do not know how to answer your last question. I used to think some people are just nasty. I now believe it goes back to something in their life and it can't always be fixed or treated, so they become 'just' nasty people.
    And for the last time that is not.an.excuse and doesn't make it ok.

Maybe I'm suffering from ODD?

I'm sure a psychiatrist would be happy to talk to you about that. :cool:

I used to think some people are just nasty. I now believe it goes back to something in their life and it can't always be fixed or treated, so they become 'just' nasty people.

You've got PSDD I'm afraid.

Pseudo Scientific Diagnosis Disorder.

Symptoms:

The compulsion to explain away all anti-social behaviour as a medical condition or a disease. The sufferer of PSDD just can't accept that some people are nasty ****ers in favour of believing they can be fixed or it's something society did to them.

See how that works Widdershins?

• Advertisement

I'm sure a psychiatrist would be happy to talk to you about that. :cool:

If your only tool is a hammer then every 'problem' looks like a nail. ;)

If your only tool is a hammer then every 'problem' looks like a nail. ;)

Like I said, chat to a psych. As I'm sure you gleaned from the thread, if you can read, you'll see that nobody made any definitive statements about the subject's mental health. Just put forward that it might be an issue. I don't see what's wrong with that or why anyone would take exception to it. Why not consider all angles? We don't even have the full story from the short video we saw, never mind considering the factors we don't know about. I'd rather accept that we'll never know the full story rather than rush to sanctimony. And another thing that's important to highlight is that even if she does have mental issues, that doesn't excuse her behaviour but it would go some way to explaining it. But humans love to pontificate and boards.ie is a little microcosm of human nature, so I guess this thread hasn't really surprised me. And it's why people eat this shit up too. "Great, someone I can feel superior to!" And on it goes.

Like I said, chat to a psych.

No thanks. If they require my advice I'll charge by the hour.
    IAnd it's why people eat this shit up too. "Great, someone I can feel superior to!" And on it goes.

I think you might be suffering from ODD.

No thanks. If they require my advice I'll charge by the hour.

I think you might be suffering from ODD.

Oh, OK, you're trying to be witty. Carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

This just in: She believes in mermaids!

If that's the same woman then it's now obvious that she has mental health issues and I think it's disgusting that people are getting a laugh out of it.

This just in: She believes in mermaids!

What was that someone was saying about uploading videos of people for sport. Does that seem like someone who is compos mentis?

You've got PSDD I'm afraid.

Pseudo Scientific Diagnosis Disorder.

Symptoms:

The compulsion to explain away all anti-social behaviour as a medical condition or a disease. The sufferer of PSDD just can't accept that some people are nasty ****ers in favour of believing they can be fixed or it's something society did to them.

See how that works Widdershins?

Because I don't think common or garden nastiness is genetic or a random fluke? What difference does it make whether someone is nasty through an entirely conscious set of choices or if their character was partly informed by influences in their life? They all have to keep within the law and face the same punishment unless they are verifiably not well to quite a degree. And then they are usually treated for that. Nobody gets a pass for behaving badly just because some people think something caused them to be like that. I also think there are people with similar experiences who turned out well, in spite of it, so I'm far from making excuses for nasty people in general.

And I tried to answer your comment seriously so please have the decency to leave out the flippancy in the response.

Suddenly an end to all discussion that's she's just an evil **** who deserves everything she gets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'm well aware it happens, I've had it happen to me, it was my boyfriend who pointed out what the other woman's problem was. She was grossly overweight.I was paying her for professional services. She wasn't tearing her hair out or rocking in a corner muttering gibberish so no, she didn't 'look' ill.
    If you need therapy you're mentally ill (not necessarily that you need to be diagnosed with something, but at that time your mental health needs treatment to get you feeling well again for whatever reason). There's a huge spectrum of mentally illnesses. Needing therapy for something on that scale-or a phobia, for example- isn't the same as having a long term mental illness but it's still a state of mental illness. It'd be unusual for anyone to go through their entire life and never be mentally unwell at some point, in a minor way. They might not require treatment though. I'm beginning to see this is a lack of understanding of what mentally ill means. I might not need a bandage, but not major surgery for a sprained ankle. In that case I'd still be injured. Or I might not need so much as antibiotics for a head cold but I'm still physically ill.

I almost feel like I should apologise for saying what I said about therapy and mental illness, but thats because of the perception of it I'm getting from the thread...it's not a dirty word or an insult.

What you're saying about going to a therapist isn't true at all.

To use your physical examples.

When pregnant you get a myriad of tests throughout in order to ensure you don't become ill.

When running a marathon you go regularly to a physio to ensure you don't get injured.

If you have someone in your family with certain diseases you go to a doctor to see if you are carrying the same gene so that you don't get the same disease.

If you've been through a traumatic even in your life you might go to a therapist to ensure that you don't become mentally ill.

Saying that anyone who has been to a therapist has a mental illness is quite ill informed and actually serves to dismiss mental health issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What was that someone was saying about uploading videos of people for sport. Does that seem like someone who is compos mentis?

Yeah, feel kind of bad about starting the thread now - she really doesn't seem well (who is she even talking to there?)

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah, feel kind of bad about starting the thread now - she really doesn't seem well (who is she even talking to there?)

I don't understand you're whole throwing the "Trump" thing in there either Billy? Was it just to start a row really? Fess up now? :):)

What you're saying about going to a therapist isn't true at all.

To use your physical examples.

When pregnant you get a myriad of tests throughout in order to ensure you don't become ill.

When running a marathon you go regularly to a physio to ensure you don't get injured.

If you have someone in your family with certain diseases you go to a doctor to see if you are carrying the same gene so that you don't get the same disease.

If you've been through a traumatic even in your life you might go to a therapist to ensure that you don't become mentally ill.

Saying that anyone who has been to a therapist has a mental illness is quite ill informed and actually serves to dismiss mental health issues.

Yes, I agree that it could be preventative after a trauma and probably other reasons I can't think of, off the top of my head. But I didn't say they have an actual mental illness that needs diagnosis/treatment. I am sorry to have used the wording that I did, it was clumsy.

Personally if I had been through a trauma and it didn't affect me at all at the time or soon after, I'd be impressed with myself or my good luck but I'd probably just be in shock and not feeling it.It does make sense to want to prevent future re-emergence of the trauma in the form of an illness or something.

I see a trauma to the mind the same as one to the body in that it is an injury to the mind's wellbeing. But not an actual mental illness. And I have had traumas and while I went the route of medication, I could have gone for therapy instead, but personally I considered my mental health affected negatively-I wasn't ill in a clinical way but something had happened to damage my mental wellbeing. I would class that as me being ill/unwell... even though it's not an accurate way of describing it as it's not a clinical illness.

I'm afraid it seems like shes talking to herself. I can't tell from the camera angle :(

I think she's talking to herself and the other bitch is taping her for the fun of it. It's so horrible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

pilly wrote: »
    Suddenly an end to all discussion that's she's just an evil **** who deserves everything she gets?

Believing in Mermaids, Angels, Aliens, Gods, Ghosts or Goblins is not an excuse, or gives someone a free licence, to scream a torrent of abuse at someone in the way she did.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Believing in Mermaids, Angels, Aliens, Gods, Ghosts or Goblins is not an excuse, or gives someone a free licence, to scream a torrent of abuse at someone in the way she did.

NOBODY has said it's an excuse.

For once and for all, my argument is that putting the video up on line was done as a bit of fun or revenge or whatever they want to call it by the couple and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so.

NOBODY has said her behaviour was acceptable or normal.

The couple had every right to defend themselves but they do not have every right to possibly ruin someone's life by posting that **** online.

The ignorance on here regarding mental illness has astounded me honestly.

Yes, I agree that it could be preventative after a trauma and probably other reasons I can't think of, off the top of my head. But I didn't say they have an actual mental illness that needs diagnosis/treatment. I am sorry to have used the wording that I did, it was clumsy.

Personally if I had been through a trauma and it didn't affect me at all at the time or soon after, I'd be impressed with myself or my good luck but I'd probably just be in shock and not feeling it.It does make sense to want to prevent future re-emergence of the trauma in the form of an illness or something.

I see a trauma to the mind the same as one to the body in that it is an injury to the mind's wellbeing. But not an actual mental illness. And I have had traumas and while I went the route of medication, I could have gone for therapy instead, but personally I considered my mental health affected negatively-I wasn't ill in a clinical way but something had happened to damage my mental wellbeing. I would class that as me being ill/unwell... even though it's not an accurate way of describing it as it's not a clinical illness.

I get what you're trying to say. The latest way of looking at mental health is calling it mental well being. And that's what it is. Just looking after your mental health the way you would your physical.

I understand where others are coming from in saying that if you're seeing a therapist you're not necessarily suffering from a mental illness but you are looking after your mental well being. It's a preventative measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pilly wrote: »
    NOBODY has said it's an excuse.

For once and for all, my argument is that putting the video up on line was done as a bit of fun or revenge or whatever they want to call it by the couple and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so.

NOBODY has said her behaviour was acceptable or normal.

The couple had every right to defend themselves but they do not have every right to possibly ruin someone's life by posting that **** online.

The ignorance on here regarding mental illness has astounded me honestly.

the couple did nothing wrong , they videoed something for their own protection and took the view that the woman was unhinged and just being nasty. we live in the social media age equivalent of "an armed society is a polite society"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

:D:D

Not at her at all. Or the campaign to "get" her that's becoming a bit nasty.

But the so very obvious efforts of the person videoing her to get her own breasts into the clip. There was no need to turn the camera on herself. The issue she should perhaps think hardest about is her own possibly mild case of narcissism.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    the couple did nothing wrong , they videoed something for their own protection and took the view that the woman was unhinged and just being nasty. we live in the social media age equivalent of "an armed society is a polite society"

They did do something wrong, they posted it online.

Advertisement