Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Harassment Caught on Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pilly wrote: »
    They did do something wrong, they posted it online.

define wrong? its not illegal and if someone is abusive to you in public I think its a reasonable response to stick it online and let the court of public opinion decide.
    the woman that uploaded the other video of the girl was being mean spirited and I wouldn't be surprised if she got some hate over it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

NOBODY has said it's an excuse.

For once and for all, my argument is that putting the video up on line was done as a bit of fun or revenge or whatever they want to call it by the couple and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so.

NOBODY has said her behaviour was acceptable or normal.

The couple had every right to defend themselves but they do not have every right to possibly ruin someone's life by posting that **** online.

The ignorance on here regarding mental illness has astounded me honestly.

But these are the times we live in, this is the legacy of Youtoob, Farcebook and its ilk, for better or for worse, whether you or I like it or not.
    Years ago it just could have been a photo journalist in the right place at the right time, ala The Enquirer mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The first video is nuts. I didn't watch the whole thing but I think it's fair game to record someone harassing you in public.

The second one posted is just mean. She's clearly not a well person and it's very much a case of "Look at how crazy this person is!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

silverharp wrote: »
    define wrong? its not illegal and if someone is abusive to you in public I think its a reasonable response to stick it online and let the court of public opinion decide.
    the woman that uploaded the other video of the girl was being mean spirited and I wouldn't be surprised if she got some hate over it.

It's morally wrong. I don't care if it's illegal or not and I don't agree it's a reasonable response.

Jesus, we've now come to the stage where the "court of public opinion decide".

Disgusting. The fact that you think it's okay says a lot about you to.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    But these are the times we live in, this is the legacy of Youtoob, Farcebook and its ilk, for better or for worse, whether you or I like it or not.
    Years ago it just could have been a photo journalist in the right place at the right time, ala The Enquirer mag.

I couldn't care less if it's the times we live in. Wrong is wrong in any era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It's morally wrong. I don't care if it's illegal or not and I don't agree it's a reasonable response.

Morally the couple were right.

If I get into my car and drive around like a total cnut , can I complain when someone videos it and posts it online . No I can't. Rightly so. I made my choice when I got in the car.

This woman chose to say all this. She could have left

If I get into my car and drive around like a total cnut , can I complain when someone videos it and posts it online . No I can't. Rightly so. I made my choice when I got in the car.

Did you totally skip over the fact that this lady believes in mermaids and that they've all been eaten?

She is clearly mentally unwell and therefore no she does not necessarily have a "choice" in what she says.

Would you say the same thing if it was an elderly person suffering from alzheimers?

No...but on the other hand, people are entitled to say "what compelled you to post that online, why did you need to do that". So, for example, if it was a person with some physical condition that affected their driving, people are entitled to say posting it was pretty nasty.

I think you are overreacting , based purely on that encounter they did nothing wrong. if someone was abusive to me and I was the innocent party I would absolutely upload it if I had thought of videoing it.
    All my comments say about me is that people are entitled to not being accosted by assh0les in public but do so at your peril as it might come back to bite you in the ass.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Did you totally skip over the fact that this lady believes in mermaids and that they've all been eaten?

She is clearly mentally unwell and therefore no she does not necessarily have a "choice" in what she says.

Would you say the same thing if it was an elderly person suffering from alzheimers?

She believes they've all been ''eated'' if I heard her right. Sounded like something someone would say if they had a younger mental age than her real age, to me. I listened again and I'm not sure about that part..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I seem to be missing some of the storey. Mermaids. What.

Of course it's not OK to video someone with mental problems or physical either just for your amusement. .

As I said at the start she need medical help. And fast.
    Her issues don't excuse her actions.
    It's not like she had torrets and was cursing because of it. She chose to do it.

if someone was abusive to me and I was the innocent party I would absolutely upload it if I had thought of videoing it.

Why?

For "likes"? For attention? To get back at them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This reminds me of when scumbags feel like they can terrorise people and then label them as "rats" when it's reported. If I was subjected to a foul mouthed rant calling me a whore, slut and prostitute, morals wouldn't come into it as I wouldn't owe her a damn thing. If she kept her mouth shut and her nasty opinions to herself she wouldn't be all over the Internet today. It's her own actions that caused this, nobody else's

This reminds me of when scumbags feel like they can terrorise people and then label them as "rats" when it's reported. If I was subjected to a foul mouthed rant calling me a whore, slut and prostitute, morals wouldn't come into it as I wouldn't owe her a damn thing. If she kept her mouth shut and her nasty opinions to herself she wouldn't be all over the Internet today. It's her own actions that caused this, nobody else's

But you can't put something on the internet and insist that only their actions be judged, your own actions become part of the issue. So for example, in the rant, she was wrong, but think the people videoing her were goading her too. They could have ignored her. And the person who took the second clip, well she just wanted to get her breasts in on the action too, evidently.

Why?

For "likes"? For attention? To get back at them?

it would depend on this situation, I havnt had any noteworthy encounters. Lets say it was a roadrage incident, by uploading it someone they know might see it and it would get around their social media, it might do the person good to see what a ahole they had been.

it would depend on this situation, I havnt had any noteworthy encounters. Lets say it was a roadrage incident, by uploading it someone they know might see it and it would get around their social media, it might do the person good to see what a ahole they had been.

If it was a roadrage incident that was sufficiently serious, would the Guards not be a better recourse than Facebook?

I'm all for people putting their own pics or videos on Facebook and the like, but when they start recording others, I wonder why. I'm just not sure of the merits of social media for exacting punishment or correcting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't understand you're whole throwing the "Trump" thing in there either Billy? Was it just to start a row really? Fess up now? :):)
    It was to avoid people seeing the thread title and flinging about "SJW, PC gone mad, etc" without stopping the video - but it still failed to do so. :p

That second video is so fecking rotten though.

But you can't put something on the internet and insist that only their actions be judged, your own actions become part of the issue. So for example, in the rant, she was wrong, but think the people videoing her were goading her too. They could have ignored her. And the person who took the second clip, well she just wanted to get her breasts in on the action too, evidently.
    TBH I'd consider the fact she walked out of there with all her teeth as progress for the way she verbally assaulted and tried to intimidate that girl. People have the right to put whatever they like online as long as its legal. The woman doesn't like it cause it makes her look bad? Maybe she'll consider that the next time she acts like a dick

No...but on the other hand, people are entitled to say "what compelled you to post that online, why did you need to do that". So, for example, if it was a person with some physical condition that affected their driving, people are entitled to say posting it was pretty nasty.
    What? I have epilepsy. If I get into my car and crash into another person, shouldni get away with it because I have a condition or should I be investigated for dangerous driving?

I seem to be missing some of the storey. Mermaids. What.

Of course it's not OK to video someone with mental problems or physical either just for your amusement. .

As I said at the start she need medical help. And fast.
    Her issues don't excuse her actions.
    It's not like she had torrets and was cursing because of it. She chose to do it.

There's little point in entering into a discussion if you just keep on deciding that this lady made a choice to say those things.

Let me put simpler for you. Do you believe that someone with alzheimers "chooses" to say horrible things?

• Advertisement

What? I have epilepsy. If I get into my car and crash into another person, shouldni get away with it because I have a condition or should I be investigated for dangerous driving?

This argument doesn't hold water Lexie. We're talking about people posting this crap online.

Is it okay for someone to film you having an epileptic fit and post it online?

TBH I'd consider the fact she walked out of there with all her teeth as progress for the way she verbally assaulted and tried to intimidate that girl.

There is a great phrase that starts with "sticks and stones..."

It underpins a lot of assault cases. If someone had punched her hard enough to knock her teeth out, they, and not her, would be in far more serious trouble. As I said before, I think she should have been told to go home and sleep it off.

This argument doesn't hold water Lexie. We're talking about people posting this crap online.

Is it okay for someone to film you having an epileptic fit and post it online?
    If my epileptic fit is causing me to harass belittle and intimidate an innocent bystander it's reasonably foreseeable that it'd end up online

The issue is, should someone video you and put it online.

I'm not talking about suspending the law, or not facing any consequences. We are talking about the merits of shaming by putting up videos online.

There is a great phrase that starts with "sticks and stones..."

It underpins a lot of assault cases. If someone had punched her hard enough to knock her teeth out, they, and not her, would be in far more serious trouble. As I said before, I think she should have been told to go home and sleep it off.

Yes and so should anyone fighting on the street on a Saturday night, under the influence.

If my epileptic fit is causing me to harass belittle and intimidate an innocent bystander it's reasonably foreseeable that it'd end up online

And you'd be happy with that would you? Really?

You're making yourself look ridiculous now.

it's reasonably foreseeable that it'd end up online

Yes, because the world is full of eejits who point a camera at everything. Like the girl who took the mermaid video to show her own breasts. But this does not mean their behaviour is above question.

The issue is, should someone video you and put it online.

I'm not talking about suspending the law, or not facing any consequences. We are talking about the merits of shaming by putting up videos online.

There's a multitude of videos online of other people. Baldy McDonagh was an internet sensation at one stage, the junkie singing don't take his drugs away on Dublin bus, young lads being racist and abusive on the luas, riots in finglas over ponies, guards trying to do their jobs and being harassed. Clampers parking in disabled spaces. It's hardly a new phenomenon now

And you'd be happy with that would you? Really?

You're making yourself look ridiculous now.
    No I wouldn't be happy with it. I wouldn't be happy being recorded attacking another female either but I'd like to think I wouldn't do that so hopefully there won't be anything to record.

• Advertisement

There's a multitude of videos online of other people...It's hardly a new phenomenon now

Again, I am perfectly aware it happens. I did not say it's new. As I said, eejits everywhere pointing their cameras. The fact that many people do it does not validate it, or render it beyond question or challenge.

Advertisement