Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options
  • 02-04-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Why has everyone, now including me, got a beard these days?

Out last night and in our group every lad had a beard, even one guy who probably shouldn't. At work in my team three of the lads are clean shaven six/seven of us with beards. One lad, not in my team but in the same building looks like he should be on some sort of watch list.

Is it just that we can't be arsed shaving every morning or simply the mullet of the early 21st century?

Comments

I can't sport one.

I'm in my 40s and in a job where respect for the client means neat appearance, clean shaven, wearing suit, shirt and tie etc. is important.

No beards. No tan shoes. No light blue suits. No waistcoats. No visible tattoos. Like...the opposite of what Conor McGregor admirers go for...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

the opposite of what Conor McGregor admirers go for...

Great point very subtlety made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I can't sport one.

I'm in my 40s and in a job where respect for the client means neat appearance, clean shaven, wearing suit, shirt and tie etc. is important.

No beards. No tan shoes. No light blue suits. No waistcoats. No visible tattoos. Like...the opposite of what Conor McGregor admirers go for...

I was in a similar place, especially with regard to the blue suit and tan shoes, but a beard wouldn't matter as long as it was neatly trimmed.

Stubble or goatees or any other face wankery would be discouraged however

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Do you still feel like your being unique and edgy even though your all clones of each other?

Great point very subtlety made!

A fair few young fellows now seem to think beards, mid blue suits, brown shoes, waistcoats and hair product are appropriate for work.

You might get away with it at a wedding. But my work is all about dark blue and black...and always always black shoes.

And always clean shaven!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Monkey see, monkey do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Not sure why this came out as a quote, but...anyway.

Edit: Omackeral (below) haz de embedding skillz I lack!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why has everyone, now including me, got a beard these days?

Is it just that we can't be arsed shaving every morning or simply the mullet of the early 21st century?

2c343edab1abbb494ac665f8f64f10f9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Do you still feel like your being unique and edgy even though your all clones of each other?

I feel unique and edgy not having one at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Because you all are sheep?

Following the latest fashion trends actually makes you less unique and basically just one of the hipsters.

I love how if you had a beard 5 yrs ago you would have been laughed at, now they are normal. Same as slicked hair brushed over to one side with bad parting. And skinny trousers.

People with normal hair, not laden with product, no beard and no tats are a rarity these days. But then again, sure I'm not 'fashionable'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

A well maintained beard is sooooo hot. With a nice bit of chest hair....stop it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I had a beard years before the recent trend. I'm traumatised with the copycats. Everyone else please have an effin shave so things can go back to normal for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

I think it's time to get rid of the beard , very few can actually carry it off , if you're reading this and you have a beard , your new edgy hipster look has gotten old and do your image a favour and give yourself a shave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Poor hygiene and laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think it's time to get rid of the beard , very few can actually carry it off , if you're reading this and you have a beard , your new edgy hipster look has gotten old and do your image a favour and give yourself a shave

If I shave now I'd be afraid everyone else would shave too.

My workplace lifted the ban on facial hair just before Christmas, most of the guys myself included now have decent beards for the first time in our lives, instead of the usual two weeks stubble you grew when you were on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

How often do you see a fat guy nowadays clean shaven? Beards are handy yokes in that case when sculpted to make it look like a jawline exists underneath

Just wait until getting straight edge shaves is pumped into fashion by big-barber who will laugh all the way to the bank selling shaves which people can instagram about a couple of times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

My workplace lifted the ban on facial hair just before Christmas, most of the guys myself included now have decent beards for the first time in our lives, instead of the usual two weeks stubble you grew when you were on holidays.

If the hot topic around the office is what sort of beard oil do you use then it's probably time to put down the Xpose magazine and shave it off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was on extended sick leave last year and basically couldn't see the point of shaving every day, or even every few days while I was off so I just grew a beard instead. Never had one before and I still have it, although it's kept reasonably short, rather than me sporting the small furry animal attached to my chin hipster look. I may get rid of it soon, I haven't decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

In the same way that huge beards were fashionable in the Edwardian era just before the apocalypse of the first world war, long beards are back because of the next imminent apocalypse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have had a beard or some sort of facial fuzz long before the hipster trend started, as basically I look like a teenager without it. Although, it is usually kept neat and short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

How often do you see a fat guy nowadays clean shaven? Beards are handy yokes in that case when sculpted to make it look like a jawline exists underneath

Fair point. A lot of lads have beards because it covers up their baby faced double chin.

I suppose we all go through a phase in our mid twenties when experimenting with facial hair to bolster our manliness is all the rage. Ancient history for me now. Fashionable stubble for a couple of days through sheer laziness is all I manage and then it's clean shaven again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Poor hygiene and laziness.

How exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How exactly?

Ah youre pure stink under that ould beard Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

It's amazing how totally different-looking a Beard can make a fella though! Well i.m.o. anyway. Clean-shaven can be nice-looking too, but some clean-shaven, with a Beard can turn a guy into absolute Stud Hottie-Heaven, or a Baby-face into a man. It's mad.

Beards are yummy. I love them anyway. Gimme ALL of the tall bearded men with tall-looking-kinda standy-uppy tousled mad hair please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nothing wrong with having a beard as long as someone can actually grow one.

It's the fellas who have what looks like pubic hair stuck to their faces that look ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Those Bin Laden beards many young Irish men are sporting these days (paired with carrot leg tracksuit pants, no socks and runner) - nothing could be less attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

It's amazing how totally different-looking a Beard can make a fella though! Well i.m.o. anyway. Clean-shaven can be nice-looking too, but some clean-shaven, with a Beard can turn a guy into absolute Stud Hottie-Heaven, or a Baby-face into a man. It's mad.

Beards are yummy. I love them anyway. Gimme ALL of the tall bearded men with tall-looking-kinda standy-uppy tousled mad hair please. :)

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You could nearly add beards to the usual weekly traveler/dole bashing threads, they pop up that often. It's so boring and predictable, AH really has run out of topics.

I have sympathy for anyone who cares that much about what other people wear/hairstyles/facial hair etc, that they feel the need to complain about it. Clearly they have little going on. Especially people who call others with beards "sheep" even though they are happy to be clean shaven and wear suits because their boss tells them to do so! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

pconn062 wrote: »
    You could nearly add beards to the usual weekly traveler/dole basking threads, they pop up that often. It's so boring and predictable, AH really has run out of topics.

I have sympathy for anyone who cares that much about what other people wear/hairstyles/facial hair etc, that they feel the need to complain about it. Clearly they have little going on. Especially people who call others with beards "sheep" even though they are happy to be clean shaven and wear suits because their boss tells them to do so! :pac:

But beards are a definite trend at the moment. My dad has had one for 40 years and i remember all my friends in primary school being afraid of him because of his beard. They were not common at all.

Advertisement