Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't sport one.

I'm in my 40s and in a job where respect for the client means neat appearance, clean shaven, wearing suit, shirt and tie etc. is important.

No beards. No tan shoes. No light blue suits. No waistcoats. No visible tattoos. Like...the opposite of what Conor McGregor admirers go for...

But on serious days you have to wear a batman cape and a ridiculous wig?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Parchment wrote: »
    But beards are a definite trend at the moment. My dad has had one for 40 years and i remember all my friends in primary school being afraid of him because of his beard. They were not common at all.

Yup, I agree, they are. There are lots of trends, Mohawks, mullets, skinny jeans, cowboy boots. I can just never get my head around why this particular trend gets so many people foaming at the mouth and flinging insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

But my work is all about dark blue and black...and always always black shoes.!

Are you from the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

pconn062 wrote: »
    You could nearly add beards to the usual weekly traveler/dole bashing threads, they pop up that often. It's so boring and predictable, AH really has run out of topics.

I have sympathy for anyone who cares that much about what other people wear/hairstyles/facial hair etc, that they feel the need to complain about it. Clearly they have little going on. Especially people who call others with beards "sheep" even though they are happy to be clean shaven and wear suits because their boss tells them to do so! :pac:

this exactly. I feel bad for anyone that feels that strongly about the hair someone grows on their face its so fcuking sad :D

also the mcgregor thing is really hilarious, you'd swear he invented the beard the way some people go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I have had a beard or some sort of facial fuzz long before the hipster trend started, as basically I look like a teenager without it. Although, it is usually kept neat and short.
    So, what you're saying is that you had a beard before they were cool?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

ArthurG wrote: »
    Are you from the past?

he has some taste - nothing worse than brown shoes with a dark suit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

he has some taste - nothing worse than brown shoes with a dark suit.

Not even FGM or the third season of The Fall?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But beards are a definite trend at the moment. My dad has had one for 40 years and i remember all my friends in primary school being afraid of him because of his beard. They were not common at all.
    That they weren't P. I've had one* since my teens back in the 19*muffled* and I was the single solitary hairy face among my peers.

*close trimmed. Grows very slowly so only need to trim it twice per year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Seeing a bunch of lads out on a night is like seeing a modern day 12 disciples with the beards on them.

I do like to grow a beard, but the wife does not like it. Too scratchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's amazing how totally different-looking a Beard can make a fella though! Well i.m.o. anyway. Clean-shaven can be nice-looking too, but some clean-shaven, with a Beard can turn a guy into absolute Stud Hottie-Heaven, or a Baby-face into a man. It's mad.

Beards are yummy. I love them anyway. Gimme ALL of the tall bearded men with tall-looking-kinda standy-uppy tousled mad hair please. :)

How do you feel about them on a 5 foot 6 odd?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Winterlong wrote: »
    Seeing a bunch of lads out on a night is like seeing a modern day 12 disciples with the beards on them.

Stubble is scratchy not a proper beard, people who don't like beards are just jealous and still more people without one. Always had facial hair since i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    How do you feel about them on a 5 foot 6 odd?

;)

Obligatory pics required..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm 10 years with a bread now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Winterlong wrote: »

True. Its like they are cloning, Theres a guy I work with who must spend an hour getting that hipster hair just right. And he always has the facial hair just right. Never clean shaven or bushy beard. Just in between. Always. He seems like a decent fella though. For a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

do you not find it's getting stale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea I went clean shaven again a few months ago and truly feel I'm on the cusp of greatness

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I often see lads grow beards and after a while you'd say to yourself they look well. Then if for some reason they've to shave it. You relies how terrible they looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Flippin' hell you started puberty young!

do you not find it's getting stale
    its self rejuvenating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Couldn't be bothered shaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I though moustaches and big sideburns were in and beards on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My friends were trying to get me to grow one for years and I resisted because every second lad had one and i thought it was silly. Then I had a week off work a while ago and I decided not to shave just to see what it looked like. By the end of the week I had neat enough looking beard once I shaved around it and kept it tidy. It's been a good few weeks now and I quite like it. I keep it short, under a centimetre and none of the bosses at work said anything although we don't have to wear suits just smart casual dress. It's gotten me numerous compliments from women and men and its a lot less work than shaving every day so I'm keeping it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

NIMAN wrote: »
    Because you all are sheep?

Following the latest fashion trends actually makes you less unique and basically just one of the hipsters.

I love how if you had a beard 5 yrs ago you would have been laughed at, now they are normal. Same as slicked hair brushed over to one side with bad parting. And skinny trousers.

People with normal hair, not laden with product, no beard and no tats are a rarity these days. But then again, sure I'm not 'fashionable'.

I have the beard, if I shave id look like a slug.

The prospect of close shaving every day is horrifying. I just pass a hair clippers over the beard at the same length every second day which keeps it neat and tidy. I certainly don't feel I'm showing my customers a lack of respect by sporting a beard. If it was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

1ff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

If anyone thinks a beard or someones dress sense is in someway disrespectful to them/others/clients or whomever deserves to be told to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If anyone thinks a beard or someones dress sense is in someway disrespectful to them/others/clients or whomever deserves to be told to fcuk off.

you must have not have seen some of the patchy pube beards doing the rounds at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When you work in IT in some kind of back office it's almost mandatory to have one. But that's a different story I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It has definitely done wonders for hordes of your common or garden, tuber-bonced Paddies.

The only lads without beards are garda. Which is handy in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I do like a nice well kept beard on a man.

Advertisement