Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Have a beard, don't have a beard, who cares?

If you aspire to work for a company that won't invite you to a second round interview because you have a beard, well you're better off.

Work doesn't allow you to wear tan shoes? Well that's incredibly shallow and idiotic.

According to some people on here, if you have a beard you are a sheep and unoriginal, but where does that leave those who are clean shaven?

This argument is just unintelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm 10 years with a bread now

White or brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I never understood the point of having a beard if it's neat and tidy.

Surely a beard represents wildness,freedom and toughness and not giving a damn about anything.

If I ever let myself go and end up having a beard I want to end up looking like Luke Kelly or the Tyrone footballers from 2008 not looking like some ponce who spends all day looking at himself in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The funniest is when the beard is sculpted around different parts of the face and neck. Kind of contradicts the 'I don't give a damn' aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've had a beard since I was 19 or so and in my 30s now, having only been clean shaven maybe 2-3 times in my life.

Personally I prefer having it, without a beard I look 12 years old, which I imagine is why a lot of men have beards.

Beards are like any other hairstyle, grow it if you want to and fell comfortable with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

it's all a bit self-obsessed isn't it?

"I had a beard first, people are copying me"

"who do you think you are with a beard?"

"beards were only fashionable 4 years ago when I had one"

can't everyone just be and let be? it's no balls to you whether some randomer has a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

We've a name for men without beards in these parts .....wimmen

Seen it on a t shirt I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

My next door neighbor has a very impressive beard.

She uses immac on her legs though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I never understood the point of having a beard if it's neat and tidy.

Surely a beard represents wildness,freedom and toughness and not giving a damn about anything.
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    The funniest is when the beard is sculpted around different parts of the face and neck. Kind of contradicts the 'I don't give a damn' aspect.

TBH even as a beard wearer I'd kinda agree. Though as I said earlier that's easy for me to say as my hair, head or face, has always grown extremely slowly, like ohmigod, what's wrong with me slowly. :D If I shaved tomorrow it would be a week before stubble, it would race a bit to a centimetre in length and get there in a few months and stay there for ages. Maybe there is something wrong with me. :eek::pac: So I need two, maybe three trims a year with the oul Argos trimmer and no way could I grow the grizzly Adams hipster beard. So it's very maintenance free for me.

This would be me in general, but add more ugly and more grey. I miss my gingers. :(

Untitled9.png

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Wibbs fancies himself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Nothing wrong with having a beard as long as someone can actually grow one.

It's the fellas who have what looks like pubic hair stuck to their faces that look ridiculous.

I've said it before but Shane Lowry's beard is pube looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Simply i could spend the time needed to shave constantly. I know they have done studies that has proven that both men and women believe a man with a beard is naturally more intimidating and aggressive looking. I suppose for those of us who had fathers with one when we grew up we don't find this. I think its generations of men who can't grow beards who have sons who grow patchy crap perpetuate the stupid ideology that you can't trust a man with a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was in boojum last week and the next 5 lads in front of me in the queue had beards. A few had sports jackets, some had jackets with elbow patches. Its hipster central, it looks like a geography teacher convention from 1988 in boojum most nights

VU9UwpG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

It's all because of that lumberjack sexual craze that happened a year or so back.Everyone had a beard back then.i didn't even know it was a thing at the time but when I was told about it I noticed they were every where.

rtron wrote: »
    lumberjack sex craze.

Damn lumberjacks, always getting jiggy in public.:pac:

If anyone thinks a beard or someones dress sense is in someway disrespectful to them/others/clients or whomever deserves to be told to fcuk off.

Dark suits and black shoes are like a uniform in law. Heck if I was in IT I'd wear Hawaiian shirts and Bermudas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A well maintained beard is sooooo hot. With a nice bit of chest hair....stop it!!
    Beards are yummy. I love them anyway. Gimme ALL of the tall bearded men with tall-looking-kinda standy-uppy tousled mad hair please. :)
    And that right there lads, is your answer. ;)

Don't bother myself because they're itchy as feck all, usually have a bit of stubble but that's been the case since my late teens for me.

The real question is why did women start finding beards so attractive in the last few years? Most of the girls I know wouldn't have touched a lad with one until maybe 2010 or so but now so many find it so sexy? :confused:

Dark suits and black shoes are like a uniform in law. Heck if I was in IT I'd wear Hawaiian shirts and Bermudas.

my_cousin_vinnie.jpg

G'wan do it, you know you want to.

I don't mind lads growing full beards. It's when they aim to maintain a sort of 3-5 day stubble and use some sort of beard-trimmer that I think they are a shame to their less preening (and more manly) predecessors.

• Advertisement

I don't mind lads growing full beards. It's when they aim to maintain a sort of 3-5 day stubble and use some sort of beard-trimmer that I think they are a shame to their less preening (and more manly) predecessors.

That'd be a lot of work and I hate electric razors - always somehow manage to tear the face of myself with them. My once-a-week wet shave works out well enough for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A fair few young fellows now seem to think beards, mid blue suits, brown shoes, waistcoats and hair product are appropriate for work.

You might get away with it at a wedding. But my work is all about dark blue and black...and always always black shoes.

And always clean shaven!

Well that's only right for undertakers really. It's a difficult time for people. Nobody wants to be distracted by some scruff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'm 10 years with a bread now

You must have matured early.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you aspire to work for a company that won't invite you to a second round interview because you have a beard, well you're better off.

Work doesn't allow you to wear tan shoes? Well that's incredibly shallow and idiotic.

According to some people on here, if you have a beard you are a sheep and unoriginal, but where does that leave those who are clean shaven?

This argument is just unintelligent.

Amen.

The unknowing irony is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I just like having a beard to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I'm not a massive one for old fashioned rules about deportment (Though I don't know any company in Dublin who insist on black shoes, in london yes, but not in dublin)

But if your beard is more important to you that working somewhere you want to work, good luck to you, I wouldn't hire you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs fancies himself :)
    Only way I get any action TBH. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm not 100% sure that a beard wont lead to my death, plus having one whilst wearing oxygen masks is bloody uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I went to school with the one and only Degsy from round the way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

When I was in my early 20s I wore a beard because I had a youngish face so it made me look older.

Now because of the ravages of time I wear a bear to make me look younger.

Go figure!

Advertisement