Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

The guy I am seeing at the moment is always clean shaven and I love it. He has quite high cheekbones so he looks sort of boyish and angelic.

I usually prefer a fresh faced man, no beard to hide behind :P

Wibbs wrote: »
    Generally speaking the powerful can wear what the hell they like, only minions have to follow a dress code.

I'd say a lot of jobs have codes, written or unwritten. I'd wouldn't expect a top Consultant or Surgeon to waltz around in Superdry bermudas and a baseball hat. It's just a lack of...solemnity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say a lot of jobs have codes, written or unwritten. I'd wouldn't expect a top Consultant or Surgeon to waltz around in Superdry bermudas and a baseball hat. It's just a lack of... perceived solemnity.
    FYP. Fashion has much to do with it. 19th century surgeons dressed like this:

100.jpg

Mutton chops to the fore and one beard from what I can see. They'd be laughed out of it now. There's a lot of collective "this is what Job A should look like to telegraph intent". That internet can be professionalism, all the way to invisible uniform servility. Some careers are obviously more prone to this of course, others not nearly so much, particularly more recent type careers. Though they can have uniforms too of sorts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,575 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv had a beard for 15 years basically since iv been old enough to grow one,
    I think I always have one, i don't see the issue with having one or not, people are weird that they even care about such things,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only lads without beards are garda

A bone of contention for Gardaí, like why can't they have a neat beard or facial hair? It's the main reason i'm growing one now. Having to shave nearly every day for 10+ years has made me not want to shave every again. And i've no intention of it. Have slightly longer than short on the sides, and leaving it grow away around the lips and chin. It's about 5 inches long below my chin now, and i've no intention of stopping it at any certain length. I'm going slightly bald on top, so i'm aiming for the Ragnar Lothbrok look from Season 4, with the intentions of having either 2 or 3 plats/tied look. Why? Because i want to. And to fuck with what anyone else thinks. I'm 34 and i'll decide what way i want my face to look.

I'm also completely anti-fashion, and can't stand the hipster (read: McGregor) look. So my beard is being grown because i want to grow it, not because some over-paid fashionista has told me to grow it or shave.

Plus, i look about 12 without facial hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Some men look better with them. It lends them an air of professorly distinction, or hides a 'weak' chin. Personally, I prefer to know what someone's face looks like. There are a lot of them around now..

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

My wife said my face looked very fat when I was clean shaven so now I have a beard. Looking back at old pics she was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm growing my chest hair out in the hopes it will make my belly look slimmer. Have to go around topless for it to work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Some men look better with them. It lends them an air of professorly distinction, or hides a 'weak' chin. Personally, I prefer to know what someone's face looks like. There are a lot of them around now..

Would you tell a woman to not wear makeup, so to see what she really looks like.:D

Certain face shapes are better for beards, but i'd never tell anybody to not have one, just like i would not tell somebody to grow one.

I don't understand fashion, i have a beard, if its in vogue, i don't care and won't care when it's out.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Would you tell a woman to not wear makeup, so to see what she really looks like.:D

Certain face shapes are better for beards, but i'd never tell anybody to not have one, just like i would not tell somebody to grow one.

I don't understand fashion, i have a beard, if its in vogue, i don't care and won't care when it's out.

I can still see her bone structure unless it's really heavy makeup. I wouldn't tell anyone, either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Personally, I prefer to know what someone's face looks like. There are a lot of them around now..
    4,673,700 of them in Ireland alone according to this.

4,673,700 of them in Ireland alone according to this.

Faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Faces?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,684 ✭✭✭✭josip

I can't sport one.

I'm in my 40s and in a job where respect for the client means neat appearance, clean shaven, wearing suit, shirt and tie etc. is important.

Liar, liar pants on fire.
    We all know you're a shepherd down in the Reeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

4,673,700 of them (faces) in Ireland alone according to this.

And, more and more will have beards.

Yes.

Mmm. Faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

No sign of pm yet btw..... :p:(

*checks again*

:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have had a goatee beard on and off since I was 21. That's 21 years now - long, long before beards were fashionable. But then goatees sort of were in the 90s and that, combined with my long hair and round tinted glasses at the time made me look a bit Jesus/John Lennon-esque.:p

I've been clean shaven for the past few years now. Beards are just too common to be trendy these days - I'd say more than half the guys in their 20s sport a beard. And some really really aren't suited with one. And it's funny how women who hated facial hair on a man now love beards. That's fashion.

10 years from now many will look back at this beard craze and cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have had a goatee beard on and off since I was 21. That's 21 years now - long, long before beards were fashionable. But then goatees sort of were in the 90s and that, combined with my long hair and round tinted glasses at the time made me look a bit Jesus/John Lennon-esque.:p

I've been clean shaven for the past few years now. Beards are just too common to be trendy these days - I'd say more than half the guys in their 20s sport a beard. And some really really aren't suited with one. And it's funny how women who hated facial hair on a man now love beards. That's fashion.

10 years from now many will look back at this beard craze and cringe.

Jesus wore glasses and had a goatee? You're crucifying me here! :)

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Boom boom!!:D

I think this current beard craze is going to be around for quite a while. Gillette shares must be near worthless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Esel wrote: »

Didn't seem to have a job either and went around in sandals and a robe all the live long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Had a beard 10 years ago for a good few years,had to shave for work for nearly 5 years,dont anymore so grew it back, I like having a beard,my oh likes the beard.thats about it,not in to.the sculptured ****e,I take care of it though,much easier these days

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have had a goatee beard on and off since I was 21.
    I didn't realise you used to be evil, why did you give it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

I've a beard for the last 10 years now and there's no way i could ever part with it. These lads going around at the minute who've only grown them out in the last year or 2 will all have them shaved off by the time the next trends sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Lilmiss82

I think a really tidy, well groomed beard is super hot! having saying that tho - I can't imagine it being all that sexy when it comes to doing the deed down below!! even the thoughts are making me itch!! OUCH! :eek::eek:

ScumLord wrote: »
    I didn't realise you used to be evil, why did you give it up?

I'm still evil. Very very evil. I have a dastardly plan to take over boards and then...the world. Mwahahaha!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Lilmiss82 wrote: »
    I think a really tidy, well groomed beard is super hot! having saying that tho - I can't imagine it being all that sexy when it comes to doing the deed down below!! even the thoughts are making me itch!! OUCH! :eek::eek:

Now ye know why men like the shaved/styled ones! ;)

But, if it's looked after well, it shouldn't cause any irritation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I hope beards go out of style, most men look better without - more professional, handsome, sharp.
    danslevent wrote: »
    The guy I am seeing at the moment is always clean shaven and I love it. He has quite high cheekbones so he looks sort of boyish and angelic.

I usually prefer a fresh faced man, no beard to hide behind :P

^ my thoughts exactly... also, who wants to kiss a face full of hair? yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Partially the hipster trend but also partially the pushback against the needless formality of business. If someone expected me to shave for a job these days I'd happily tell them to get stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

B00! wrote: »
    I hope beards go out of style, most men look better without - more professional, handsome, sharp.

^ my thoughts exactly... also, who wants to kiss a face full of hair? yuck!

I'd have thought most women don't want a boyish, angelic man.

Advertisement