Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

When I was in my early 20s I wore a beard because I had a youngish face so it made me look older.

Now because of the ravages of time I wear a bear to make me look younger.

Go figure!

So you've always just used it to hide your face.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Obligatory pics required..... :pac:

Obligatory PM sent.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

When I was in my early 20s I wore a beard because I had a youngish face so it made me look older.

Now because of the ravages of time I wear a bear to make me look younger.

Go figure!

wow it works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I wanted to grow a beard for years but I was young and couldn't. Now I have one but so does everyone else. I'll just have to outlast the trend to be the bearded rebel I once wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't have a beard all the time, just the weeks I don't bother shaving, which vary in length....much like my facial hair.

At the moment I have the "dishevelled" look having not shaved in 3 weeks, at some point though I will bother me hole picking up the razor and tidying it up.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

rtron wrote: »
    It's all because of that lumberjack sexual craze that happened a year or so back.Everyone had a beard back then.i didn't even know it was a thing at the time but when I was told about it I noticed they were every where.

lumberjack sexual craze? WTF?

I thought the beard craze started with Bin Laden. Terrorist chic or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why has everyone, now including me, got a beard these days?
    I wonder who you could ask...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

A well maintained beard is sooooo hot. With a nice bit of chest hair....stop it!!
    Definitely not allowed to show chest hair at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I can see why guys do it. When I used Tinder before - almost every 2nd woman's profile I came across said something about liking beards. This made me consider growing one, for like .. a second, before realizing it'd look ridiculous.

I guess what I'm saying is; blame Tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

biko wrote: »
    I wonder who you could ask...

I did, but I didn't understand the reply. He's also a shifty looking fcuker with that beard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

No beards. No tan shoes. No light blue suits. No waistcoats. No visible tattoos. Like...the opposite of what Conor McGregor admirers go for...

It seems to me that older lawyers (possibly aged 60+) are more likely to have beards than their younger colleagues.

One example:

allen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I basically hate shaving and the way my skin feels afterwards. I never had great skin so after shaving it looked terrible. Having said that maintaining a beard is not as straightforward, I try to keep it as neat as possible. So trimming and washing daily is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think it's time to get rid of the beard , very few can actually carry it off , if you're reading this and you have a beard , your new edgy hipster look has gotten old and do your image a favour and give yourself a shave

But but.... I've had a beard for the last 22 years. Reason being...... I look shockingly nerdy without one. I'm with the missus 13 years this year. When we first went out she asked me to shave it off to see what I looked like underneath it. I came out of the bathroom and her very words were 'never do that again'. It's been there ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Jimmy-Savile-00654.jpg

What they really look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

NIMAN wrote: »
    Because you all are sheep?

Following the latest fashion trends actually makes you less unique and basically just one of the hipsters.

I love how if you had a beard 5 yrs ago you would have been laughed at, now they are normal. Same as slicked hair brushed over to one side with bad parting. And skinny trousers.

People with normal hair, not laden with product, no beard and no tats are a rarity these days. But then again, sure I'm not 'fashionable'.
    I had a beard 5 years ago and still have one now. Where do I fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I have a bit of facial hair, but only to hide the double chin effect- I don't actually think it looks good on me at all. I'll shave it off when I've lost more weight and I think my face has enough definition to not need it.

I think beards on some people look good. Almost everyone looks good with some stubble if you can grow that. The huge beards look stupid. I wish I could have a kind of stubbly look going myself, but nothing will grow above the jawline for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Because you all are sheep?

Following the latest fashion trends actually makes you less unique and basically just one of the hipsters.

I love how if you had a beard 5 yrs ago you would have been laughed at, now they are normal. Same as slicked hair brushed over to one side with bad parting. And skinny trousers.

People with normal hair, not laden with product, no beard and no tats are a rarity these days. But then again, sure I'm not 'fashionable'.

Nobody laughed 5 years ago or 10 or 15 (christ I feel old now, thanks...)

I couldn't be arsed shaving and spending a fortune on ridiculously priced razors. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Parchment wrote: »
    Those Bin Laden beards many young Irish men are sporting these days (paired with carrot leg tracksuit pants, no socks and runner) - nothing could be less attractive.

but but the 40+yr old film/rock stars are wearing them so it must be ok? bunch of saps

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

spoken like a true hipster. i bet you heard radiohead before everyone else. you don't need to fit in, you're already in by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can't sport one.

I'm in my 40s and in a job where respect for the client means neat appearance, clean shaven, wearing suit, shirt and tie etc. is important.

No beards. No tan shoes. No light blue suits. No waistcoats. No visible tattoos. Like...the opposite of what Conor McGregor admirers go for...
    That really isn't the case, or should be at least. There's no reason a man can't have facial hair this is also clean and tidy, and looks professional, especially in your 40s compared to a 20 year old. Same way that a black/dark blue suit and black shoes isn't "respectful" by default. Some some people it just doesn't look right on of course. And it's a fine line at time. ;)

Obvious there is a still distinction between casual/smart/formal wear. But that line changes over time.

Do you still feel like your being unique and edgy even though your all clones of each other?

So people with various variations of beards are clones...
    ...but everyone with the same clean shaven look aren't. Riightttt.

I have a beard (if that wasn't obvious). I do it because it suits me, it's convenient. I'n short I just prefer it, I absolutely hated shaving everyday* and my skin hated it.

I could care less about being "edgy". And I'm under no illusion that a beard makes I'm a unique snowflake. Do you think being clean shave makes you a suave James Bond type?
    I don't mind lads growing full beards. It's when they aim to maintain a sort of 3-5 day stubble and use some sort of beard-trimmer that I think they are a shame to their less preening (and more manly) predecessors.
    That's still a lot less hassle that shaving everyday tbf. Are the men who clean shave preening too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

A beard paired with a neatly trimmed haircut kinda looks ridiculous. You gotta go the full Rick Grimes if you're gonna go at all. Very few men can pull that look off... I still live in hope though.

And did someone mention carrot pants - please, just no! Stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I can't sport one.

I'm in my 40s and in a job where respect for the client means neat appearance, clean shaven, wearing suit, shirt and tie etc. is important.

The richest person I know, an uber-wealthy 'under-the radar screen' financier, sports both a beard and frequently wears a waistcoast when he is working, meeting or lunching with clients.

The waist-coats are part of suits which are tailor made in either Jermyn Street or Hong Kong (and when I say Hong Kong, I mean the Jermyn Street end, shall we say.)

The Aonghus von Bismarck character that used to post here was a rather unfunny spoof, this guy is the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

The richest person I know, an uber-wealthy 'under-the radar screen' financier, sports both a beard and frequently wears a waistcoast when he is working, meeting or lunching with clients.

The waist-coats are part of suits which are tailor made in either Jermyn Street or Hong Kong (and when I say Hong Kong, I mean the Jermyn Street end, shall we say.)

The Aonghus von Bismarck character that used to post here was a rather unfunny spoof, this guy is the real deal.

In fairness yeah i don't get the waist cost hate, forget McGregor, a proper 3 piece suit has always been dapper it's great to see them back in fashion IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It gives me something to scratch in public without getting any funny looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

You and me both. Been consistently bearded for about 4 years and intermittently for another 4 (When I really shouldn't have, only filled out by 23) before that. I'm a tad gingy so I get the whole "Are you copying McGregor" thing. Pain in the arse but **** grooming. I was me balls every day and cut the hair at lest 4 times a year but I'll be ****ed if I do a tap more personal grooming than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Generally speaking the powerful can wear what the hell they like, only minions have to follow a dress code.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nothing wrong with having a beard as long as someone can actually grow one.

It's the fellas who have what looks like pubic hair stuck to their faces that look ridiculous.

This. If you can't do it properly don't do it.

The richest person I know, an uber-wealthy 'under-the radar screen' financier, sports both a beard and frequently wears a waistcoast when he is working, meeting or lunching with clients...

Oh I'm not referring to money at all, I suspect some sporting the McGregor look have lots of money...most obviously McGregor himself!

I work in law. That mid blue suit and brown shoe look, it's just not done. Beards...trying to think of any Solicitor on this Circuit who has one and is not an apprentice. The suits are dark and generally pretty sombre. 3 piece is not completely out, you see barristers in them alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

MadYaker wrote: »
    This. If you can't do it properly don't do it.
    I blame Keanu Reeves for this, although he has improved as he's gotten older.

Advertisement