Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Made the paprika pork in the new cook book tonight,I'm sure its online too. Went down a treat at home. This is my third day on plan and am pretty motivated .when I weighted last week at group I was four pounds less than my own scales at home. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

ja1986 wrote: »
    when I weighted last week at group I was four pounds less than my own scales at home. Strange.

Weight will vary from scale to scale, and will fluctuate throughout the day and the week. Just try to look at the overall trend over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

New Slimming World 'Little book of barbecue' coming out very soon...looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The super slimmers documentary is repeated on channel 4 at 12:30 am for anyone that wants to record it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

I like the SW program but I'm not too keen on the meetings. First of all they go way over schedule. Usually 20 mins, last week was 40 mins. I'm just not getting much motivation from listening to the same questions to different people every week. Then some people just love the sound of their own voices!! Thankfully I haven't had a gain but I feel for the people who are red in face when the consultant tells all how much of a gain they had. Is there really any need for us all to know what each other did at the scales?
    As I said I like the SW program but prefer the WW meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I like the SW program but I'm not too keen on the meetings. First of all they go way over schedule. Usually 20 mins, last week was 40 mins. I'm just not getting much motivation from listening to the same questions to different people every week. Then some people just love the sound of their own voices!! Thankfully I haven't had a gain but I feel for the people who are red in face when the consultant tells all how much of a gain they had. Is there really any need for us all to know what each other did at the scales?
    As I said I like the SW program but prefer the WW meetings.

You sound like you might go to my meeting. I'm generally really enjoying SW but I cannot deal with the meetings. I've only gone 3 times (once as a new member and the other two times I was arrived late and had to sit through it - was raging!)

I find them so pointless, everything you've said rings true to me. The amount of repetition is mind numbing and some people just really love to hear themselves speak. I also noticed about the consultant reading out everyones weight losses/gains which didn't sit right with me either. I did WW previously and they don't do that.

I just follow the plan myself, and I follow a few consultants or just people who do SW on instagram/snapchat so I feel like I get inspiration and motivation but in a way that better fits into my lifestyle. I still pay the €9 to go each week because I need the accountability of someone weighing me once a week, but I don't plan on staying for any more meetings if I can help it!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Must say the meeting I go to isn't like that at all, don't think I would be staying to meeting if that was the case either. I have learned so much from staying to group and although there is a few who tend to talk over everybody they're easily ignored!

Must say the meeting I go to isn't like that at all, don't think I would be staying to meeting if that was the case either. I have learned so much from staying to group and although there is a few who tend to talk over everybody they're easily ignored!

Have to agree, but I've also weighed in at other groups and found the meetings 'questionable' so there's obviously a mixed standard.

My own is very positive fortunately and I pick up a load of tips - I'd followed Sw for a year without regularly attending meetings, but it was only when I started going regularly that I saw real success.

@SarahMollie maybe try another meeting for a change and see if it works better for you, or ask around - its generally fairly easy to find out the best consultants in the area. Hope you find something.

There was an incident a few weeks ago at a meeting I got trapped into going to because I missed weigh in.

Anyhow, the consultant mentioned something that she'd gotten from the website (some list of tricks or whatever) and immediately loads of people started whipping out their phones out, trying to look it up. She clarified that it was the website and not the app (some of the people were quite old and didnt seem to be able to tell the difference). Then she said "oh it must be gone off the front page but if you search it, you'll find it" and that only encouraged them all to start trying to search for it. Then, apparently the 3/4G or whatever wasnt up to much so they started waiving their phones in the air, trying to get mobile internet. At this point I just stood up, and walked out to go to the toilet (and frankly to take some deep breaths). I took my time but even when I went back into the room the conversation still hadnt moved on. Literally it was 10+ minutes of something that should have been a throw away comment but turned into a massive deal. She had no ability to hold the attention of the group and move things along when they were clearly going off track.

The weird thing is that this constultant is extremely popular, her meetings are packed. Maybe I'm just a highly intollerant person but I really don't have that level of patience. I'd love to go to a different class but between work and my other committments, its the only one I can realistically make on a regular basis. I did go to my only other viable alternative once and it was just as packed and although the consultant was maybe a stronger character, there were so many people in the room clearly having a great time that the whole thing was just a bit rowdy (and therefore time consuming.)

• Advertisement

That sounds pretty chaotic alright, I genuinely believe that some of the consultants could benefit from some presentation experience. One of the groups I visited had a brilliant consultant, but had no idea about keeping things on track and maintaining the flow.

Funny you should mention the mobiles, if my consultant sees someone concentrating on it instead of listening, she finds a question to ask as if by magic all of a sudden all the other mobiles vanish :D

Would you feel at all comfy mentioning it to your consultant ? they can only improve by feedback as you're likely not the only person feeling it. At the end of the day you are paying for a service and the consultant wants to keep their numbers up. Just a though

Andip wrote: »
    That sounds pretty chaotic alright, I genuinely believe that some of the consultants could benefit from some presentation experience. One of the groups I visited had a brilliant consultant, but had no idea about keeping things on track and maintaining the flow.

Funny you should mention the mobiles, if my consultant sees someone concentrating on it instead of listening, she finds a question to ask as if by magic all of a sudden all the other mobiles vanish :D

Would you feel at all comfy mentioning it to your consultant ? they can only improve by feedback as you're likely not the only person feeling it. At the end of the day you are paying for a service and the consultant wants to keep their numbers up. Just a though

Part of me would love to tell her but I know by her that shes not the type to take criticism well. I also follow her snapchat and she comes across as verrry sensitive and not at all thick skinned. Someone messaged her on it and told her she was being rude (in fairness she wasnt really, just said she wouldnt be repeating herself) and she had a mini meltdown on it, came on snapchat with tears in her eyes expalining why she was so upset, and went on and on about it like some huge drama. When she finally showed the "mean" message, it was something so minor I was honestly a bit amazed it was enough to upset a grown woman.

I think I need to find a new class ultimately, but something in my schedule will have to give first! For now, just skipping the meetings seems like my best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Part of me would love to tell her but I know by her that shes not the type to take criticism well. I also follow her snapchat and she comes across as verrry sensitive and not at all thick skinned. Someone messaged her on it and told her she was being rude (in fairness she wasnt really, just said she wouldnt be repeating herself) and she had a mini meltdown on it, came on snapchat with tears in her eyes expalining why she was so upset, and went on and on about it like some huge drama. When she finally showed the "mean" message, it was something so minor I was honestly a bit amazed it was enough to upset a grown woman.

I think I need to find a new class ultimately, but something in my schedule will have to give first! For now, just skipping the meetings seems like my best option.
    I think I follow the same person on Snapchat and I had the same reaction as you!

Has anyone tried the new choc mocha HiFi bars? I do SW online but I'm tempted to pop into a meeting to buy some. I loved the mint ones and now that I'm seeing the bars all over FB and Instagram I'm longing for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

The weird thing is that this constultant is extremely popular, her meetings are packed. Maybe I'm just a highly intollerant person but I really don't have that level of patience. I'd love to go to a different class but between work and my other committments, its the only one I can realistically make on a regular basis. I did go to my only other viable alternative once and it was just as packed and although the consultant was maybe a stronger character, there were so many people in the room clearly having a great time that the whole thing was just a bit rowdy (and therefore time consuming.)

Oh god that would drive me mental, I'd be away too if I was there! I swear some people just go to gossip and forget that some people actually want to get weight off and need a place to get some support.

Scraggs wrote: »
    I think I follow the same person on Snapchat and I had the same reaction as you!

Has anyone tried the new choc mocha HiFi bars? I do SW online but I'm tempted to pop into a meeting to buy some. I loved the mint ones and now that I'm seeing the bars all over FB and Instagram I'm longing for them!

Shes a bit much :(

Anyhow, I'm planning on pciking up a box tonight when I go to weighin, I buy a box or two of various flavours every week anyway, so even though I've actually a bit of a stock pile at home, I'll buy these just to see if I like them.

The fact they're gluten free doesnt fill me with confidence, as I tend to find GF snacks a bit soggy, but I'll try them tonight anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'll be interested to hear what ye think of the coffee hifi bars, I haven't been to SW in aaages and I'm still not following the plan properly (and it shows!) - looking forward, in a weird way, to the weather getting a bit nicer because I know my summery clothes will look shocking on me now and I need that kick in the (ever growing) bum to get back into the swing of things!
    My sugar intake has increased and I'm now finding that I don't enjoy the taste of veg as much (not as able to detect the sweetness of a homemade tomato pasta sauce etc), it's amazing what eating too much sugar can do for you!

My consultant is a newbie, hasn't reached her target yet and is less than a year at SW. Hopefully with time she'll be a good consultant. Practice makes perfect I guess. I follow on Facebook an English SW group. I've found that page more inspiring and great for tips more than any meeting I've been to.
    Also this clapping business, drives me insane. A lady who put up 2.5lbs shared where she went wrong. Then we clapped her after for sharing. My eyes were rolling big time!!

My consultant is a newbie, hasn't reached her target yet and is less than a year at SW. Hopefully with time she'll be a good consultant. Practice makes perfect I guess. I follow on Facebook an English SW group. I've found that page more inspiring and great for tips more than any meeting I've been to.
    Also this clapping business, drives me insane. A lady who put up 2.5lbs shared where she went wrong. Then we clapped her after for sharing. My eyes were rolling big time!!

Yeah I really don't get that to be honest - I find it strange that you can be a consultant without having gone through the whole journey and reached target. Theres one who I followed on snapchat for a while (I unfollowed because I found her snaps boring) but she's lost less than me, has more to lose than I ever had and is a consultant. How can you be a consultant when you're seemingly so early on in the process? I don't get it.

I would love it there was a zero BS, 30minute short sharp meeting option. They're just too lackadaisical for my liking. I went just for a weigh in last night and was there 25 minutes! There were about 25 people queuing ahead of me and the meeting didnt start til about 20 past the hour because of how long it took to weigh everyone. I was fit to burst by the time I was leaving.

I did pick up a box of the new hifi bars and I'm not a fan. They're very strongly flavored and it results in quite an artificial taste. I'm going to stick to the salted caramel, orange, dark choc and rocky road.

Anyway, only down half a pound so not great. That said I was expecting it because I upped my weights at my group training sessions so I think its more to do with me pushing the exercise than having a bad week foodwise, so it will show eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Has anyone done an sp week? And if so how did you find it? Did you see results? And what did the week look like food wise? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

I have upped my exercise and feel great but can I ask do any of ye know what benefits there are in the stationary bike? where does it target to tone?
    I presume legs knees but what about bums?

jewels0606 wrote: »
    I have upped my exercise and feel great but can I ask do any of ye know what benefits there are in the stationary bike? where does it target to tone?
    I presume legs knees but what about bums?

Yeah all those places I guess, but ultimately its a cardio exercise, unless you're the resistance turned right up.

The best bum exercise bar none is the squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

Yeah all those places I guess, but ultimately its a cardio exercise, unless you're the resistance turned right up.

The best bum exercise bar none is the squat.

okay cool
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Well it worked a treat anyway 6lbs gone biggest single week weight loss to date , got my club 10 and stone and a half award only half stone to target now.

Gunna do a second week if i could even shift another 3-4lb id be pumped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

My issue

My consultant is doing this for over 6 years , ive been to her group a couple of times ( none anywhere else to me ) my issue is , she constantly is putting up what she says shes eating , yet shes a pig , still huge , i get that people have lives and issues etc , but i find it hard to get motivated by her as she doesnt seem to be taking her own advise , like a fat guy in the gym telling you what weights or nutritional stuff to do

Id get more motivation if they looked like they believe what they say

Am i the only one with this issue ????

Like the consultant will go around everybody " hey mr eircomsucks bad week , what needs to change" etc , i think they should disclose their weekly weights ;)

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

My issue

My consultant is doing this for over 6 years , ive been to her group a couple of times ( none anywhere else to me ) my issue is , she constantly is putting up what she says shes eating , yet shes a pig , still huge , i get that people have lives and issues etc , but i find it hard to get motivated by her as she doesnt seem to be taking her own advise , like a fat guy in the gym telling you what weights or nutritional stuff to do

Id get more motivation if they looked like they believe what they say

Am i the only one with this issue ????

Like the consultant will go around everybody " hey mr eircomsucks bad week , what needs to change" etc , i think they should disclose their weekly weights ;)

Rant over

I agree. My consultant has a lot of weight to lose and since I started sw she doesn't look like she's lost a pound. I think they should be weighing in too as part of the class and they should be discussing their own journey. It's really not motivating. I don't understand really how these people are representatives for sw yet are really terrible advertisements for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Winnie21 wrote: »
    I agree. My consultant has a lot of weight to lose and since I started sw she doesn't look like she's lost a pound. I think they should be weighing in too as part of the class and they should be discussing their own journey. It's really not motivating. I don't understand really how these people are representatives for sw yet are really terrible advertisements for it.

Spot on

Can anyone recommend any good people to follow on snapchat, or any good groups on facebook?
    Thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Anyone know how many Syns in an Aldi Pakora? They are divine. Loads probably.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement