Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

NetChat101 wrote:
    Hi, sorry if this has been asked before! Does anyone know if there is a probiotic yogurt that's syn free?

Is activia probiotic? If so their 0% yogurts are free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Have we any sort of guarantee of the accuracy of the slimming world scales?

My home scales always made me 4lbs lighter than the sw scales.
    This week, I'm lighter on the sw scales than the home scales!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

That's interesting Addle! I have a digital scales and never had the pleasure of being lighter on the SW Scales, though I have heard the opposite from SW colleagues, I have a digital scales myself and I am usually 1lb heaver on the SW Scales

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i was lighter on the SW scales last week too lol! I had to weight before my 8 weeks were up so I wouldn't loose online access etc so went to a group on fri morning and was down 3.5lbs :p It was great going in the morning - i wasn't limiting what I drank all afternoon like when I usually go. A couple of times I've been up and then pee'd it out lol

In envious where are you weighing in, I'm on my way!!!
    only 4 lbs to target finding it very tough loosing the last few pounds, though I am feeling the benefits of loosing a stone in my confidence, overall health and fitness and of course clothes, I started on the soup again today in an effort to get to target anyone been there before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

How does everybody find the Facebook group for support during the week? Must admit mine is pretty rubbish. When I was at slimming world the last time I found it a great help, the consultant was always posting, people were chatting about different things but this time that has all stopped, few dodgy pics of labels and people just saying syns?? And if you do answer they wouldn't even say thanks.
    I've been posting away at different things but not been taken on at all, would love a bit of support if anybody knows any good online groups?

How does everybody find the Facebook group for support during the week? Must admit mine is pretty rubbish. When I was at slimming world the last time I found it a great help, the consultant was always posting, people were chatting about different things but this time that has all stopped, few dodgy pics of labels and people just saying syns?? And if you do answer they wouldn't even say thanks.
    I've been posting away at different things but not been taken on at all, would love a bit of support if anybody knows any good online groups?
    I follow a few recipe blog's Facebook pages, they don't allow syn requests so the posts tend to be mostly motivation / recipe ideas. Slimming eats is a really good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Addle wrote: »

I don't trust the scales/computer in my meeting.
    I got a half stone sticker without earning it...
    Sometimes I think they give me my total loss rather than weekly loss. It isn't making sense anyways.

I'm not doing well at all. Not even doing ok. I have some sort of mental deficiency that leaves me with no resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

I find "tony's SW tips, tricks, recipes & pics" Facebook page very good & also pinchofnom.com , I didn't post in a few weeks but I am down 4st 2lb now in 15 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was removed from of our groups FB after 2+ years for not going for 6/7 weeks....which irked me a bit considering SW give target members a window of 8 weeks! Still on the group 'motivational' txt message thing though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Addle wrote: »

SW scales are designed to maintain their accuracy for their lifetime (replaced every couple of years). As they are powered rather than battery, they should be consistent. Battery powered home scales can vary up and down as the battery runs down.

However, the SW scales also depend on the surface they are on. The recommendation is a solid, non flexible floor & they should also be checked for level (they have adjustable feet). If they are placed on a soft flooring or wood with any level of give, or are not level, it can affect the result. My wife is a consultant and always carries both a spirit level and a 5lb dumbell to check for accuracy before the start of every class.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Quick question do you guys eat your daily syns and still lose weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Valyawl wrote: »
    Quick question do you guys eat your daily syns and still lose weight?

I personally didn't. I would need to have been eating 10 syns and under to see any good loss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I normally eat anywhere between 8 & 15 syns, and have a loss of 2-3 lbs a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone here hit target and struggling to keep within the 3lb +- range ?

Hit mine just before Christmas which was probably the worst time as psychologically gave me freedom for the festive season....since then I'm either over or under the 3lb band. I go under then increase syns and find myself up - its actually quite stressful ! don't mean that in a pompous way, but before target I was on plan and determined to lose, but now I'm juggling and worrying more about maintaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

Hi all, looking for some advice. I was with slimming world 2 years ago and lost over 2.5 stone and have managed to keep it off and drop down to size 8 but according to my doctor I still need to lose another stone!!! ����

My problem is I go to the gym 5 days a week and lift weights. What's everyone's experience with the gym and doing slimming world? Last thing i need is to do all that work and then have her tell me i need to lose more -sigh- I'm starting to train myself to run 5k too so there will be cardio sessions too....

I know this is prob asked a million times but any help is greatly appreciated!!

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice. I was with slimming world 2 years ago and lost over 2.5 stone and have managed to keep it off and drop down to size 8 but according to my doctor I still need to lose another stone!!! ����

My problem is I go to the gym 5 days a week and lift weights. What's everyone's experience with the gym and doing slimming world? Last thing i need is to do all that work and then have her tell me i need to lose more -sigh- I'm starting to train myself to run 5k too so there will be cardio sessions too....

I know this is prob asked a million times but any help is greatly appreciated!!
    If you have a healthy BMI I wouldn't stress too much. I can't imagine you'd have an unhealthy BMI at a size 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Same as pirate queen says above, it all depends on your BMI - have a look at the charts online and see where you're at.
    My doctor told me at one point that I could lose a stone or more and still be within the healthy weight range for my height, so maybe your doc is saying you'd be at the lowest healthy weight for your height if you lost another stone?
    I'd check your BMI and talk to your trainer too because it sounds like you're very active and probably lifting a lot of weights, in which case BMI isn't the most accurate scale anyway.
    Well done keeping the weight off, I'm struggling to get back down to my target range!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Mkelly1989 I'm not in slimming world but saw your post and thought it'd be useful to give you my experience. I'm the same weight I was a year ago but thanks to eating right and lifting weights I'm down two dress sizes and have lost 7% body fat.

The weighing scales are not always an accurate reflection.

• Advertisement

Yes forgot to mention- if you're building a lot of muscle the BMI charts might not be very accurate for you. If you have a trainer you can get body fat % measurements etc done which might be more useful. Sounds like you're at a healthy weight and getting lots of exercise so unless you yourself want to lose more weight I'd keep going as you are if you're happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

Nope according to her I need to drop a stone to get into the healthy BMI, think I'm at a BMI of 28 at the moment. Even had the bloody cheek to accuse me of snacking on biscuits and chocolate that those are where the calories are. I was like seriously there's not much left to me, I'm only 5ft so that's why I don't really want to drop more. I think my problem is I've gained muscle from the weight training and BMI doesn't take that into account? Weight is weight to them regardless of what causes it. -sigh-

my BMI is 24.7 I am 4 lbs over my target and don't have a sweet tooth, in fact every tooth in my mouth is sweet! The BMI has reduced since I lost the stone, its a bugger to loose the last few I should have it lost long ago but my sweet tooth can be my best friend and worst enemy!
    I think it is vital to look good and feel good some people lose too much weight on the scales and on the face and look unhealthy and drawn and 20 years older

Nope according to her I need to drop a stone to get into the healthy BMI, think I'm at a BMI of 28 at the moment. Even had the bloody cheek to accuse me of snacking on biscuits and chocolate that those are where the calories are. I was like seriously there's not much left to me, I'm only 5ft so that's why I don't really want to drop more. I think my problem is I've gained muscle from the weight training and BMI doesn't take that into account? Weight is weight to them regardless of what causes it. -sigh-
    Honestly a lot of doctors don't know much about body measurement methods outside of BMI, so it's possible they're just dogmatically sticking to it. See if you can get body fat measurements taken to put your mind at ease, but if you're happy with your size and shape, eating healthy and getting regular exercise you have nothing to worry about, and it's irresponsible of your doctor to suggest otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Back on the wagon after ay too long off it... I am going to start going to a new group the week after Next too so hopefully the leader will be a bit more into it. Not weighing for the next two weeks so hopefully some of the damage I've done in the intervening period will be gone by the time I weigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

How's everyone doing? I'm struggling to reach my target. I consistently lost weight every week (sometimes 0.5lb and sometimes 3lbs) until the last few weeks. I am only about 2lbs off target now but my weight seems to be yoyo-ing and I am still doing everything "right". I had set myself a goal to reach target by next week and I just don't think I'll get there now. Becoming a bit disheartened :/ I am exercising and using between 5-10 syns per day. Any advice? I don't think I could cut out my syns as I'd die without chocolate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What do you look like in the mirror? It's a pretty simple test. Is there excess body fat or not? If not, then the BMI probably isn't useful thanks to muscle mass. If so, then whatever the BMI says, you could work on being more lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

First weigh in down 2lbs a bit disappointed , no alcohol , no oil(only frylight), used my syns, plenty of water ...paid up for next 6 weeks so hope to see results soon! Any tips? Need to keep motivation up

Valyawl wrote: »
    First weigh in down 2lbs a bit disappointed , no alcohol , no oil(only frylight), used my syns, plenty of water ...paid up for next 6 weeks so hope to see results soon! Any tips? Need to keep motivation up

2lbs is a great loss, if you were losing that every week that would be fantastic progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Two lbs is a good loss. Everyone says you lose the most in the first week but I think for my first week I only lost a half lb. I was disheartened as i had kept a food diary and followed the plan religiously. A loss is a loss. It's moving in the right direction. Keep thinking positively. Stick to the plan. It will work. Some weeks you may not lose and some you will but stay focused and stick with it. Also set yourself shorter realistic goals - so have your overall target but break it down so you have a goal for 4 weeks time etc etc. Slow and steady wins the race. I am now 16 weeks in and 21 lbs down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement