Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Very happy with result, but large parts of performance left a lot to be desired, and cannot agree that tactics were spot on.

Our win had as much to do with Clare's inability to kill us off as anything we produced.

Once again for large parts of the game, particularly early in the second half we ended up with one player inside their 45, it was only for about a 10 minute spell we pushed on a bit and that got us the all important goal.

Yet despite the mass of bodies and numbers we had in in the middle of the field and in our defensive lines, the Clare players were able repeatedly to pick up ball in acres of space. At times yesterday marking a man tight (other than in the full back lines) appears to be a ting of the past, and it was not as if players had to work hard to find space, they just seemed to drift into it. At times yesterday we had three players looking at each other as a free Clare player picked up a ball asking who was supposed to be picking him up. This freedom of space allowed Clare backs put tons of good quality ball in on our full back line and we very nearly paid a hefty price.

Fortunately for us Clare adopted a similar tactic, just thankfully for us we got the second goal. Quite simply against the better teams such as Tipp and KK and possibly Cork, this tactic will not work, if we give a more direct opposition this kind of time and space, they will eat us up. I know it is early in the year, but quite frankly the set up of the team worries me greatly, I see little of no improvement in our structure and i do not believe we are getting near the best out of a very talented bunch of players. I am hoping against hope that this is part of some master plan for the championship but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Jaysus, three posters with lucid and fair-minded critiques. This place has gone to the dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Gardner wrote: »
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Me thinks ThaiTanic is a particular News and Star reporter who is known for his legion of doom posts on facebook and articles in the paper about Waterford hurling. Luckily  schoolboy soccer is his speciality  [/font]

It doesn't really matter as no one takes him seriously.

By the way, Barry Coughlan had another outstanding game and is surely the best full back in the country at the moment. Well done to Derek and the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

For me he's the best full back in Waterford by a long shot and I do rate Coughlan, although yesterday Shanagher who's quite the talent himself, gave Coughlan a tough time

• Registered Users Posts: 37,905 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I knw the last 2 years we have played our 1st round championship opponents in league finals but what if we scrape too a league final and be thorn a new one by Tipperary in it. A hammering in a final by Tipperary before the championship could be damaging for morale

Even though Cork beat Tipperary yesterday everyone thinks the Munster QF will go Tipperary's way but I would not write off Cork in it who have improved a lot since last year

• Advertisement

Automatically Tipp make the league final PTH?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Automatically Tipp make the league final PTH?

The are really going for this league. They will hammer Offaly in the Qf and should have enough for the winners of Kilkenny and Wexford in the semi

One of ourselves/Galway/Cork/Limerick in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Any word on whether the Galway match is home or away? It was to have been decided this morning IIRC.

fricatus wrote: »
    Any word on whether the Galway match is home or away? It was to have been decided this morning IIRC.

Be announced around lunchtime I'd say. Coins tosses take a long time in the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Deiseen

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I knw the last 2 years we have played our 1st round championship opponents in league finals but what if we scrape too a league final and be thorn a new one by Tipperary in it. A hammering in a final by Tipperary before the championship could be damaging for morale

Even though Cork beat Tipperary yesterday everyone thinks the Munster QF will go Tipperary's way but I would not write off Cork in it who have improved a lot since last year

Better to happen in a league final and asses the damage than in Munster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

On the Galway thread that the game is in Salthill on Sunday 4pm as part of a double header. Havent seen it elsewhere yet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

KevIRL wrote:
    On the Galway thread that the game is in Salthill on Sunday 4pm as part of a double header. Havent seen it elsewhere yet.

Galway did win the toss yes. Long way to travel next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

By the way, Barry Coughlan had another outstanding game and is surely the best full back in the country at the moment. Well done to Derek and the team.

I really wonder at times are we watching different games? Mind blowning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

cul beag wrote: »

Shannagher started well on Coughlan but didn't do much after the first 20 minutes. Coughlan does alright in most games nothing spectacular but id rather him consistent than than busting out with one ball a game ans skying it as high as he can like alot of full backs do and then think there heros

Balls hopefully they will show it on TV

Would love too go but way too far and I'm heading to the Munster game on Saturday

Would love too go but way too far and I'm heading to the Munster game on Saturday
    Conveniently won the toss when they have a football game on the same day.....

What exactly are you expecting the man to do? Shanagher only scored 0-2 off Coughlan which, in a high scoring game, is a good score to hold you man to.
    Please don't tell me you are blaming the Podge Collins goal on Coughlan?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

I see coughlan has made team of the week. Maybe it was yourself who was watching a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

hmmm wonder what the odds of a coin toss throwing up this.....

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Three of the quarter-finals will be played as part of attractive double-headers. [/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Galway's clash with Waterford will follow the Galway football team's pivotal Allianz Football League Division 2 match against Kildare in Pearse Stadium.[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Cork's clash with Limerick will follow the Cork football team's Allianz Football League Division 2 match against Down at Pairc Ui Rinn[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]While Offaly's clash with Tipperary will follow the Offaly football team's Allianz Football League's Division 2 match against Laois at Tullamore. [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Deiseen wrote: »

Conveniently won the toss when they have a football game on the same day.....

Uhmm ...Same as Cork/Limerick and Offaly/Tipp conveniently the county that had an attractive home football tie won the toss!
    In fact as soon as the fixtures were decided yesterday evening Parc ui Rinn was down as the venue for cork/lim!

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Three of the quarter-finals will be played as part of attractive double-headers. [/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Galway's clash with Waterford will follow the Galway football team's pivotal Allianz Football League Division 2 match against Kildare in Pearse Stadium.[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Cork's clash with Limerick will follow the Cork football team's Allianz Football League Division 2 match against Down at Pairc Ui Rinn[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]While Offaly's clash with Tipperary will follow the Offaly football team's Allianz Football League's Division 2 match against Laois at Tullamore. [/font]

one sided coin :D

hard too see Waterford winning up in Galway (2012 was the last time we played up there), the main job for our league was to retain our 1A status and thats done now, so derek might go a bit experimental and go for a performance rather than a result. Galway owe us one to be fair (last 3 league meetings we won 2 and last year was a draw)

Long way up for a lot of supporters but hopefully a few will travel

Relegation match coin toss was won by Clare. In what isnt a massive shock, this also sets up a double header on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Cork Limerick wasn't a coin toss.
    The odds of Offaly and Galway winning the coin toss had the same chance of any other combination. Will you be wearing the tinfoil hat up to Salthill? 😀

one sided coin :D

hard too see Waterford winning up in Galway (2012 was the last time we played up there), the main job for our league was to retain our 1A status and thats done now, so derek might go a bit experimental and go for a performance rather than a result. Galway owe us one to be fair (last 3 league meetings we won 2 and last year was a draw)

Long way up for a lot of supporters but hopefully a few will travel

The last time we put out an experimental team in the league against Galway we absolutely annihilated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

blueflame wrote: »
    Very happy with result, but large parts of performance left a lot to be desired, and cannot agree that tactics were spot on.

Our win had as much to do with Clare's inability to kill us off as anything we produced.

Once again for large parts of the game, particularly early in the second half we ended up with one player inside their 45, it was only for about a 10 minute spell we pushed on a bit and that got us the all important goal.

Yet despite the mass of bodies and numbers we had in in the middle of the field and in our defensive lines, the Clare players were able repeatedly to pick up ball in acres of space. At times yesterday marking a man tight (other than in the full back lines) appears to be a ting of the past, and it was not as if players had to work hard to find space, they just seemed to drift into it. At times yesterday we had three players looking at each other as a free Clare player picked up a ball asking who was supposed to be picking him up. This freedom of space allowed Clare backs put tons of good quality ball in on our full back line and we very nearly paid a hefty price.

Fortunately for us Clare adopted a similar tactic, just thankfully for us we got the second goal. Quite simply against the better teams such as Tipp and KK and possibly Cork, this tactic will not work, if we give a more direct opposition this kind of time and space, they will eat us up. I know it is early in the year, but quite frankly the set up of the team worries me greatly, I see little of no improvement in our structure and i do not believe we are getting near the best out of a very talented bunch of players. I am hoping against hope that this is part of some master plan for the championship but I have my doubts.

Well said. Waterford were outplayed for most of that game yesterday and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Clare's scores came much easier than ours and they bypassed our packed defence - with ease - often by hitting balls into the corners. Dublin did the exact same thing last year when they beat us at Walsh Park. The hit-and-hope long balls into our forward line were very evident again yesterday and are generally a complete waste of time. As blueflame said they inevitably put our backs under massive pressure when the one or two ffs we have are unable to get to the Hail Marys and the opposition backs have plenty of time and space to accurately work quality ball up to their forwards.
    There is no way we will beat Tipp, KK or even a resurgent Cork using these tactics in the championship.

And we're back

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Barry coughlan out now with a broken jaw.
    Who will be the new full back ??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    And we're back

So you think we were not out played yesterday for most of the game and were happy to see ball after ball being wasted?

Barry coughlan out now with a broken jaw.
    Who will be the new full back ??

How long for? Shane fives maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

KevIRL wrote: »
    How long for? Shane fives maybe?

3 months most likely with a broken jaw in 2 places

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement