Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Leaf

• 25-03-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

Had it confirmed by Nissan Ireland , 2018 leaf will debut with 40 kWh battery !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BoatMad wrote: »
    Had it confirmed by Nissan Ireland , 2018 leaf will debut with 40 kWh battery !

Calahonda Accounts y/e: 31/12/2017

Dr. P&L:..................... €25,000
    ....Cr. Motor Vehicles.....€25,000
    :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they don't radically change the shape then we should probably expect an EPA range of around 155 miles or 250km.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

liamog wrote: »
    If they don't radically change the shape then we should probably expect an EPA range of around 155 miles or 250km.

Would this make buyers take the plunge?

Often you hear people mention 200 - 300 miles as what they'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Slight change of the rear, make it more Priusish, and the drag drops radically...

Leaf is ugly as it is, if they don't hire Pontiac Aztec designer, it would take be any worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Price would be interesting. Any ideas?

If even that. 2016 30kWh has EPA range of 172km, if you stuck a 40kWh battery in it, that would be 229km. A tiny bit more than the 28kWh Ioniq. And of course if you drive it fast, range would shrink to ridiculously small figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I wonder will they make any more efficiencies in regard to the motor and drive train.

In fairness, they are not the issue. The poor coefficient of drag of 0.32 is the problem. While not a bad figure at all really compared to most cars for sale even today, it's not great for an EV if you want to drive it over 90km/h

To compare, the 2 cars with the best coefficient of drag for sale in 2017 of all cars including all ICE cars, are the Tesla Model S and the Hyundai Ioniq (both 0.24). Both EVs. That's no coincidence. It's obvious that both Tesla and Hyundai are well aware of the great importance of aerodynamics in EVs.

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness, they are not the issue. The poor coefficient of drag of 0.32 is the problem. While not a bad figure at all really compared to most cars for sale even today, it's not great for an EV if you want to drive it over 90km/h

To compare, the 2 cars with the best coefficient of drag for sale in 2017 of all cars including all ICE cars, are the Tesla Model S and the Hyundai Ioniq (both 0.24). Both EVs. That's no coincidence. It's obvious that both Tesla and Hyundai are well aware of the great importance of aerodynamics in EVs.

I'm reading the Leaf has the Cd of 0.29 (which is still huge - similar to Opel Calibra from late 80s)... Where did you get the 0.32 (which would be gigantic)?

That's the official figure, but we all know many car makers like to cheat. It tested as 0.32

Linky

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would this make buyers take the plunge?

Often you hear people mention 200 - 300 miles as what they'd need.

Unlikely if it's only half that!

"range of around 155 miles"

• Advertisement

That's the official figure, but we all know many car makers like to cheat. It tested as 0.32

Linky

I think that might be the biggest issue, from the link:
    The large, boxy Leaf has a 7.8-square-foot drag area, the largest of any vehicle in the test.

Aye. I like to get on a bit. At 150km/h I'd say the range in the Ioniq is maybe something like 120-130km. In the Leaf (24kWh) it's probably no more than 40-50km, which in 2017 is shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If that's as good as it gets then feck off Nissan.

What do you mean, DrPhilG? You're disappointed it's "only" 40kWh? I feel that's a respectable enough capacity. You have to take into account the Leaf competes at the bottom of the market. What were you expecting, 60kWh?

Nissan (and all other EV manufacturers excluding Tesla and Hyundai) have to be aware though that the most important thing about EVs is coefficient of drag. Nothing else matters as much. Not for now anyway while battery capacity comes at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

When the September reveal was confirmed the leaks all said real life 200 mile range.

It's not the size I'm saying feck off to, it's the range.

The 30kwh Leaf has what, 105-110 miles real life? To wait so long for the confirmation of Leaf II and then see that they're only adding 40-45 miles is a major disappointment.

If Hyundai can get similar range to the current Leaf with a smaller battery, including much better motorway range, then they could blow the new Leaf out of the water if/when they bring out a bigger battery model.

Of course this is currently speculation and Nissan may have dramatically improved the battery and the shape of the car, hence the "If" at the start of my previous post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I got from two sources at Nissan that at least two battery capacities would be offered at launch....with a third closely following. Now that was ~12-18 months ago and plans may have changed... but with the competition hitting the road next year they'd be mad not to have an option in the 60kWh class.

Aye. I like to get on a bit. At 150km/h I'd say the range in the Ioniq is maybe something like 120-130km.

You'd say ?

I doubt many dealers know what Nissan plan to launch, it would be all over the internet by now.

You'd say ?

As always I'm just guessing, Mad_Lad. You know well that several times my guesses were subsequently proven to be in the ball park by real life figures from other sites.

cros13 wrote: »
    two sources at Nissan

Just to clarify how serious those sources are, one was in Nissan corporate and the other was at a Nissan R&D center working on Z.E. powertrains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I doubt many dealers know what Nissan plan to launch, it would be all over the internet by now.

The 40 kWh battery was confirmed by the product manager for leaf in front of 50 people.

Nissan will be also releasing a powerwall product next year.

There's no way a 60 kWh battery could be supplied within the existing price point and that's the key issue for Nissan

One presumes as its a new platform , there will be room for additional capacity

He also mentioned it will come with " unspecified " driver automation

http://pushevs.com/2016/08/11/update-on-the-nissan-leaf-40-kwh-story/

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/07/16/140-miles-nissan-leaf-40-kwh-coming-year-rumor/

I believe the actual battery will be bigger as Nissan are switching to " usable " battery , this would allow 400km range to be claimed using NEDC tests. ( of course less in the US EPA tests )

BoatMad wrote: »
    He also mentioned it will come with " unspecified " driver automation

It's coming with Gen.1 ProPilot which handles single-lane driving on motorways up to ~130km/h. The auto-steer needs to be nannied a bit, you've to pretty much keep a light touch on the wheel at all times.

It's no Autopilot... no lane-change functionality... doesn't keep to the center of the lane very well and it kinda feels less safe at higher speeds because of that.

As I understood it the original plan was to have a 30kWh, ~40kWh and 50kWh pack, coupled with better aerodynamics. That changed in early 2016... with plans for a lower spec EV slotting below the Leaf (most probably the Micra) due late this year. I'm still hearing a 60kWh class battery will top the range, but that's carrying the caveat that it may not launch with that size of pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Calahonda Accounts y/e: 31/12/2017

Dr. P&L:..................... €25,000
    ....Cr. Motor Vehicles.....€25,000
    :D

You think your car needs to be written off on foot of the new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

grogi wrote: »
    Slight change of the rear, make it more Priusish, and the drag drops radically...

Leaf is ugly as it is, if they don't hire Pontiac Aztec designer, it would take be any worse...

Add two extra seats. Make it a 7 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

So coming closer to the end of the year, what are the odds of getting a new current model 30kWh 6.6kW SVE Leaf for less than €20k including scrappage?

I know the range will be surpassed with the new model and it'll depreciate like lightning.
    But if it suited the buyer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Soarer wrote: »
    So coming closer to the end of the year, what are the odds of getting a new current model 30kWh 6.6kW SVE Leaf for less than €20k including scrappage?

I know the range will be surpassed with the new model and it'll depreciate like lightning.
    But if it suited the buyer.....

It needs to suit the seller as well.:D
    It really depend on how they will approach it:
    will it be like the computer hardware market where the next model destroys the existing stock values.
    Getting an 8k discount on a 28k spend seems pretty aggressive, without knowing the price of the new models

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

cros13 wrote: »
    It's coming with Gen.1 ProPilot which handles single-lane driving on motorways up to ~130km/h. The auto-steer needs to be nannied a bit, you've to pretty much keep a light touch on the wheel at all times.

It's no Autopilot... no lane-change functionality... doesn't keep to the center of the lane very well and it kinda feels less safe at higher speeds because of that.

As I understood it the original plan was to have a 30kWh, ~40kWh and 50kWh pack, coupled with better aerodynamics. That changed in early 2016... with plans for a lower spec EV slotting below the Leaf (most probably the Micra) due late this year. I'm still hearing a 60kWh class battery will top the range, but that's carrying the caveat that it may not launch with that size of pack.

The big issue is whether the efficiency will be up there with the iconiq, that has the cat amongst the pigeons

I think the 2nd hand market will hold up well. You'll still have plenty of new people entering the EV market at price points that won't stretch to a new EV and there'll be limited supply given how few bought new.

• Advertisement

I'd hate to have to buy Leaf II with only 40 Kwh, obviously I'd have no choice if that's what they offer.

I also don't think I'd bother with their automation if you need to keep your hand on the wheel, I want something to take the sting out of driving home after night shifts.

I'd hate to have to keep my Leaf another year or two.

Advertisement