Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Just checked my exchange and the FTTH estimated date has just been push back by 9 - 12 months :(

We currently have 0.5mb and the FTTH plan includes us so would be nice to have even 10mb, never mind 1gb. I read on here that these dates are slipping and being pushed back regularly. Would I be as well to ignore the when and where map and just sit tight? Is there a risk these plans will never materialise?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Just checked my exchange and the FTTH estimated date has just been push back by 9 - 12 months :(

We currently have 0.5mb and the FTTH plan includes us so would be nice to have even 10mb, never mind 1gb. I read on here that these dates are slipping and being pushed back regularly. Would I be as well to ignore the when and where map and just sit tight? Is there a risk these plans will never materialise?

Assuming the Govt/DECNR dont manage to uTurn the NBP its almost guaranteed. Naughten likes to promise 100% coverage but that won't happen with GPON in the medium term(by 2025ish). Those earmarked though should be in the early phases of OpenEirs/NBPs runs but if it falls to the NBP you're talking first works 2019 most likely.

The cabinets are usually (but not always) numbered ignoring the RSU with just the nearest big exchange where the traffic is going to listed as their code.

Examples you can check out :

RFN1_E01 - Rafeen which is an AXE cabinet on the N28 just outside Ringaskiddy in Cork.
    FMX1_E01 - Farmers X / Cork Airport Business Park (it seems to be misplaced on Eir's map, but it's actually in a carpark of a business park) - Also an AXE cabinet RSU.
    ASM1_E01 - Ashmount, Silversprings - (Was originally numbered as WRD... seems to have changed)
    MDV1_018 - Medowvale, Arklow Co. Wicklow E10 [old google maps image - https://goo.gl/maps/QYqNbiPitU22 ] - Odd numbering as I wouldn't think MVD1 has more than 2 cabinets .. I suspect it's an error. Probably should be MDV1_E01

That matches the NGA topology as the exchange fills in the BRASs AAAA job now and does aggregation. All traffic routes at the exchange level (encapsulated from the cab) with eir subs.

That would have been a subtended service unit that was rehomed as standalone most likely. Lots of that in 15/16 as the remnants got mopped up to NGB.

Some of the examples that I thought were still held up have gone ahead so obviously not the problem I thought it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

ED E wrote: »
    That matches the NGA topology as the exchange fills in the BRASs AAAA job now and does aggregation. All traffic routes at the exchange level (encapsulated from the cab) with eir subs.

That would have been a subtended service unit that was rehomed as standalone most likely. Lots of that in 15/16 as the remnants got mopped up to NGB.

Some of the examples that I thought were still held up have gone ahead so obviously not the problem I thought it was.

AFAIK, Eir still has some Alcatel-Lucent VDSL cabinets in use in Dundrum too which were part of the original pilot. I know they were a full MSAN that seemed to combine a lot of things into one rather huge white box.

I'm wondering if they're using Alcatel-Lucent for VDSL anywhere ? Usually these companies tend to keep at least two vendors so they can play them off each other and not be bound into a single vendor relationship - hence Alcatel vs Ericsson in the legacy network.

OpenReach have played that game, OpenEir have gone full stack Huawei for last mile and CPE.

The chunky cabs are still in situe but I'm not sure the racks havent been changed as they had a spree of visits a year or so back at the tail end of the main VDSL push. Those lines also started with Thomson CPE that was quickly dropped for Zyxel who have now also been dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

My area was supposed to get ftth in h2 this is now changed to within 12 months. Why is this rollout taking so long and are these dates going to be continually pushed out. There is 100s of area nationwide under this 12 months banner. Does anyone know who is rolling it out is it eir or a subcontractor and why is the movement so slow.
    vintagevrs wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Just had lunch in kettles Inn in Rolestown.
    Overheard two know guys eating there talking about why they were out there all of a sudden. One of them was telling the other that the swords exchange being moved up in live date list and other planned live dates for other areas moved back being moved back.
    He was saying something about some politician interfering, but that's all I got.
    I hope I'm not living in one of the areas being moved down the list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

talkingpj wrote: »
    My area was supposed to get ftth in h2 this is now changed to within 12 months. Why is this rollout taking so long and are these dates going to be continually pushed out. There is 100s of area nationwide under this 12 months banner. Does anyone know who is rolling it out is it eir or a subcontractor and why is the movement so slow.

the rollout is behind schedule for several reasons

1 - Eir waited for the FTTC rollout to be finished with the exception of problem cabs due to planning issues.

2 - Eir did not employ/contract enough teams for FTTH in 2016 - workforce spread very thin.

3 - The rollout started much later than originally planned with the exception of a handfull of lucky exchanges.

4 - The dates and original timescale were not realistic.

5 - FTTH is relatively new and most teams had little experience in FTTH till now

6 - The planning and prep work is taking much longer than expected.

7 - The NBP continues to get delayed and pushed back giving Eir more time.

8 - local problems/issues.

9 - problems we dont know about.

I strongly believe we have not seen the last of the dates being pushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

Gonzo wrote: »

1 - Eir waited for the FTTC rollout to be finished with the exception of problem cabs due to planning issues.

2 - Eir did not employ/contract enough teams for FTTH in 2016 - workforce spread very thin.

3 - The rollout started much later than originally planned with the exception of a handfull of lucky exchanges.

5 - FTTH is relatively new and most teams had little experience in FTTH till now

The NBP still on track it going forward not backward slow but there hasn't being news on anymore delays,and if the winners are announced in June it be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ctwomey

that's the FTTH in wiring stages, shouldn't be too long to go now.
    Eir Reps were around last Thursday in Ballybrittas and indicated that we can order the FTTH from the 20th February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Thanks for that. Do Eir state unrealistic dates for commerical reasons. They have given dates of h2 2017 to within 12 months. Within 12 months will still be the same in a years time especially given the fact if you look at the national picture there are 100s of areas that are within the next 12 months and if they arent subcontracting the work this isnt realistic in 5 years never mind 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

rob808 wrote: »
    The NBP still on track it going forward not backward slow but there hasn't being news on anymore delays,and if the winners are announced in June it be great.

Have tenders actually been submitted with an announcement in June?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ctwomey wrote: »
    Eir Reps were around last Thursday in Ballybrittas and indicated that we can order the FTTH from the 20th February.

Ballybrittas is already live according to the map, perhaps your road is a few weeks behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

mdfire wrote: »
    Have tenders actually been submitted with an announcement in June?
    it intend to award the contract/contracts in June

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

rob808 wrote: »
    it intend to award the contract/contracts in June

Thanks not too long then. Be good to get the whole thing out of the hands of politicians and over to the commercial companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ctwomey

Ballybrittas is already live according to the map, perhaps your road is a few weeks behind.

The exchange has been live for quite a long time. However, there are no cabinets and everyone is connected directly to the exchange. ADSL speeds were based on the distance to the exchange. Mine was 6Mbit/600K with a distance of 2.4 miles.

With the Fibre recently installed on the poles, it is now possible to get Fibre into the house and dramatically improve the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zaxa

Does anyone know if Eir/Sky et all have any plans to go faster than 100meg any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

zaxa wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Eir/Sky et all have any plans to go faster than 100meg any time soon?

eir and others are reselling fibre to the home, FTTH, (up to 1Gb) as the network is being rolled out by openeir

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057315844

Vodafone and others are reselling SIRO's FTTH as their network is being rolled out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131437

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm really starting to get antsy looking at that cabinet everyday as I walk home. It's taunting me. Been at "completion works in progress" for 6 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Im in the same position although only approaching the three month mark. I wonder what keeps them so long when it appears (and I spoke to an Eir installer) that all of the hardware was now in place ready to go.
    I also seem to now have a reliability issue on my 10Meg ADSL broadband since this cabinet was put in place and lucky few homes in the area went live with FTTH in that I have a lot of not quite drop outs but drops in quality which isn't good for computer to computer work meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering about the areas between the blue lines on the fibre rollout map. I could be living in a house halfway between two of these blue lines on the N52 roadway in North Tipperary.

Will these areas ever be covered by any kind of broadband?

Thanks

The NBP if not by a commercial roll out, will cover such areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ya i was just looking at the NBP map and the area is just outside the are of the NBP too. Maybe within 500 metres of the NBP area.

The NBP will cover all areas not serviced by commercial services.

The NBP will cover all areas not serviced by commercial services.

Yeah, totally....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

danny004 wrote: »
    Im in the same position although only approaching the three month mark. I wonder what keeps them so long when it appears (and I spoke to an Eir installer) that all of the hardware was now in place ready to go.
    I also seem to now have a reliability issue on my 10Meg ADSL broadband since this cabinet was put in place and lucky few homes in the area went live with FTTH in that I have a lot of not quite drop outs but drops in quality which isn't good for computer to computer work meetings.
    Lol my cab has been completion work for over a year now, and since the cab was put in place my 10mb ADSL goes all the way down to 1mb in the evenings...

tubawaski wrote: »
    Lol my cab has been completion work for over a year now, and since the cab was put in place my 10mb ADSL goes all the way down to 1mb in the evenings...

I've a better one. My cab is a couple of hundred meters from the house and 80% of the neighbours have efibre since over two years ago. But the rest of us keep getting the fob off from Eircom. Well never get it according to o e guy i was taking to. Computer says no and there is no arguing with the computer.
    Were stuck with about 1 meg ADSL, some can't even get that.

76544567 wrote: »
    I've a better one. My cab is a couple of hundred meters from the house and 80% of the neighbours have efibre since over two years ago. But the rest of us keep getting the fob off from Eircom. Well never get it according to o e guy i was taking to. Computer says no and there is no arguing with the computer.
    Were stuck with about 1 meg ADSL, some can't even get that.

I'm a bit of a noob here so can someone explain to me what work has to be done at individual houses even if the Fibre is only going into the cab? Thanks

I'm a bit of a noob here so can someone explain to me what work has to be done at individual houses even if the Fibre is only going into the cab? Thanks

In my experience if you cant get the efibre service when the cab goes live, then Eircom will not do any work to let you get it, even if you offer to pay them extra to do that work. Either it works when the cab goes live or you won't be getting efibre. Maybe ftth will be different if it passes your house, but that's how fttc works.
    And before the cab went live we were told yes 100% you'll get it if you are withing 1km of your cab.all lies. Some people got it some didn't. Houses either side of you could get efibre, but you might not get it. I'll never believe a word from them again til i actually see it.

Count yourself lucky you have ADSL.

76544567 wrote: »
    In my experience if you cant get the efibre service when the cab goes live, then Eircom will not do any work to let you get it, even if you offer to pay them extra to do that work. Either it works when the cab goes live or you won't be getting efibre. Maybe ftth will be different if it passes your house, but that's how fttc works.
    And before the cab went live we were told yes 100% you'll get it if you are withing 1km of your cab.all lies. Some people got it some didn't. Houses either side of you could get efibre, but you might not get it. I'll never believe a word from them again til i actually see it.

Count yourself lucky you have ADSL.

How does it work for estates? And would they route the ftth cables underground at estates?

How does it work for estates? And would they route the ftth cables underground at estates?

I may be wrong but i don't think estates are getting ftth at the moment. I don't know though.

If it's fttc either your house can get it or it can't. If it can't don't expect any amount of asking Eircom to help even if you next door neighbour has it. It will fall on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm a bit of a noob here so can someone explain to me what work has to be done at individual houses even if the Fibre is only going into the cab?

FTTC uses the existing copper cable to your house so maybe new socket (NTU) and modem if this wasn't already done for ADSL. The rest of the work is done at the cab if you're with 2kms and connected to that particular cab.

Advertisement