Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G4 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I have a nexus 5x now as a backup for the G4 in case it dies for a third time. Part of me is honestly hoping that it does. I really like the 5x, it has a lot of the same internals as the g4 but lacks the SD card slot for all my music.

If the g4 goes again, I'll look for a refund from the shop which at this point I think they'll give me and invest in a new nexus when they are released in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

My phone developed this over night , from what I've read even after repair it will never be the same again, will hunt for a new phone asap, won't get a Samsung as where I work I lose internet signal regularly and Samsung takes 3-5 mins just to get it back whereas the LG took miliseconds.

I got mine repaired after. It came back with a new serial number (starting with 606 I think) and they updated the phone to android marshmallow. If your still in warranty it's free so you might as well get it repaired. G4 phones with 606 serial numbers aren't susceptible to the boot loop issue as far as I'm aware, so it's a permanent fix if that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

My phone was bought in Hong Kong 10 months ago...
    Anyway I did much reading and the HTC 10 didn't get good reviews and again and again the Samsung galaxy S7 Edge got top marks.
    I bit the bullet and got it for €680 and a free case, although I need a proper screen saver and a better case.

Main differences I've noticed so far is the huge one of playing games, I'm an avid gamer and the LG G4 heated up in no time and hence the battery drained incredibly fast, the Edge doesn't or barely heats up and the battery lasted so much longerrrrrrr with it, I'm totally chuffed.

I also was able to reconnect to the internet in no time unlike the Galaxies 4 and 5.

I also love the sloping edges and tbh they make the game I play superb, the graphics are also so much sharper.

Only time I've noticed the edge heating up moderately is when I use the fast charger.

Anyways what cases are recommended and what to do about a screen saver? Can they be got for a sloping screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

After waiting six months for the last update, the Aug one is out very sharpish.

2db2l8l.jpg

Would be nice if LG upgrade it to Nougat at some stage as I've at least another year with this phone.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Even if we dont get official 7.0, I'd guess that within a couple weeks of the V20 being released there'll be a version available for advanced users.

Though honestly, I dont see it changing as much as we'd probably like. I think my next device will be a nexus/pixel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

opus wrote: »
    After waiting six months for the last update, the Aug one is out very sharpish.

2db2l8l.jpg

Would be nice if LG upgrade it to Nougat at some stage as I've at least another year with this phone.

mine still says 5.1, and when i check for updates it says i'm up to date :confused:

Though honestly, I dont see it changing as much as we'd probably like. I think my next device will be a nexus/pixel.

Thinking I might be of the same opinion but probably not 'til this time next year.
    mine still says 5.1, and when i check for updates it says i'm up to date :confused:

You can try the LG Bridge software on your PC as well or failing that use LGUP to install whatever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sonic.boom

have anyone here bought LG G4 in argos ? just would like to know what is the main board serial number , i presume that all came from the same batch so shouldn't be big difference and all should be manufactured around the same time .

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

sonic.boom wrote: »
    have anyone here bought LG G4 in argos ? just would like to know what is the main board serial number , i presume that all came from the same batch so shouldn't be big difference and all should be manufactured around the same time .

thanks
    My friend bought 1 from Argos uk last week.
    Where do you find the main board serial number? Also do you know how many years warranty Argos give you for the phone? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sonic.boom

peaceboi wrote: »
    My friend bought 1 from Argos uk last week.
    Where do you find the main board serial number? Also do you know how many years warranty Argos give you for the phone? Thanks

Under the battery or on the box .. should start like this m 505 or 512 or 604 only First 3 digits important as 505 ( may 2015 manufacture date )
    Or 604 is April 2016

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Just a note for anyone with a bootloop issue:

Mine bootlooped 2 weeks ago and LG replaced the board within warrantee. Bought November 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

choons wrote: »
    Just a note for anyone with a bootloop issue:

Mine bootlooped 2 weeks ago and LG replaced the board within warrantee. Bought November 2015

fwiw, mine bootlooped at Xmas and they changed the board also even though it was, i think, out of warranty as i'd bought it in April 2015

My G4 rebooted yesterday, came back to life but then rebooted for a final time a few mins later :( Now won't even switch on. Is this the dreaded bootloop or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

My G4 rebooted yesterday, came back to life but then rebooted for a final time a few mins later :( Now won't even switch on. Is this the dreaded bootloop or something else?

If it won't switch on at all then it is different to the bootloop issue. Do you see the LG symbol on screen?

Could be any number of things - dead battery, dead charger, main board fault, broken connections etc.

Thanks for clarifying, definitely something else in that case.

I contacted LG who said they only handle UK stuff but they directed me to their Irish subcontractor SBE so I posted it off to them yesterday. Hoping they are able to fix it as moving back to my 5-year old Galaxy S3 is a bit tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Question for current G4 owners, whats the update cycle been like? Ie how often does the phone get an update be it system or security patch?

I have a G5 and im surprised they haven't released anything since November. Would be nice to even expect something quarterly!

Last update I saw was the the EU version with the July security patch, looks like there's one on the way with the Jan patch (still 6.0) so looks like they like a 6-month cycle.

Sadly my own G4 has expired, think it was a dodgy screen replacement by one of the phone shops in Cork caused the problem, see post here. But as I quite like the phone, I've managed to acquire another one at a reasonable enough £115.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

choons wrote: »
    If it won't switch on at all then it is different to the bootloop issue. Do you see the LG symbol on screen?

Could be any number of things - dead battery, dead charger, main board fault, broken connections etc.

Actually, once the bootloop starts it gets progressively worse until such time that it won't turn on at all, so it could be bootloop issue.
    But as I quite like the phone, I've managed to acquire another one at a reasonable enough £115.

Mind me asking if that was a refurb or a private sale opus? I wouldn't mind another go at the G4 with a more recent S/N if I could get one for that price.

learn_more wrote: »
    Mind me asking if that was a refurb or a private sale opus? I wouldn't mind another go at the G4 with a more recent S/N if I could get one for that price.

It was a private sale, think the cost came to ~€130 with the exchange rate but seemed a good deal as people are asking €200+ on adverts/done deal here. Interestingly the G4 I've got had already fallen victim to the bootloop problem & had the mainboard replaced under warranty so now it's a 607 serial number & is covered 'til July this year if anything goes belly up again.

It was a private sale, think the cost came to ~€130 with the exchange rate but seemed a good deal as people are asking €200+ on adverts/done deal here. Interestingly the G4 I've got had already fallen victim to the bootloop problem & had the mainboard replaced under warranty so now it's a 607 serial number & is covered 'til July this year if anything goes belly up again.

Yeah that's a good deal especially as 607's onwards don't seem to be failing. Have my eye on a 611 but wouldn't go any lower than a 607.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wifes G4 just started it's bootloops. That's both G4's within a few months of each other.

god's toy wrote: »
    Wifes G4 just started it's bootloops. That's both G4's within a few months of each other.

I really like the phone but tbh it's terrible quality if you've had two of them die on you & more of us have to get into the nuances of what serial numbers are/aren't prone to sudden death!

Would certainly be slow to get another LG as I believe the G5 has similar issues although not as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I really like the phone but tbh it's terrible quality if you've had two of them die on you & more of us have to get into the nuances of what serial numbers are/aren't prone to sudden death!

Would certainly be slow to get another LG as I believe the G5 has similar issues although not as bad?

Yep hearing the same about the G5 too. Was talking to a bloke in work and his wife's also went in the last month.
    I really liked the phone but darn it it's just not reliable.

I don't think the G5 bootloops like the G4. If you go onto ebay and search for a auction G4 you will find a significant number being sold as faulty bootlooping in any one week. You won't find any G5's being sold as bootlooping. I know it hasn't been out as long but It's been 10 months now so I'd say the G5 would be safe to go for.

Glad to see that LG are going to release Nougat for the G4 although its a bit of a wait.

LG G4 and V10 Nougat update will release in Q3 2017, confirmed by LG

Q3 this year? Yeah and I bet it will cripple the device too. Battery life will drop dramatically, and performance will slow. You'll suddenly feel the need to upgrade to a newer device like the G6...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Where should I contact to get my G4 fixed from the bootloop issue?

Advertisement