Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Banjo wrote: »
    "Head" in Liffey Valley proper is the "HMV-a-like". The games prices are awful. I asked them on the 4th about their Switch offers, basically they added 10 quid on to the console, the games, the accessories etc. then came up with a bundle price including overpriced Zelda, overpriced 1 2 Switch and an overpriced case. When the case didn't come into stock they didn't put the consoles out on the floor 'cause they wanted to sell bundles rather than individual bits. Look, I want a music and movie store in LV as much as the next guy, but for gaming you need to go elsewhere. They didn't come to the races, you shouldn't place any bets with them.

NOTE : If you're getting the bus.... ah ****e you might have warned me...

Argos is round the back and Smyths is on the Fonthill road nearby. Coming from the N4 outbound (or M50 which will feed you on to it) you go down the sliproad to a roundabout. If you're going to Smyths and you don't like forcing your way into traffic use the roundabout to turn left. Otherwise stay left on the slip road. Either way you're going left at the bottom.

Now you're going up a hill. There's a roundabout at the top - if you're going to smyths, force your way into the right lane if necessary and use the roundabout to go straight ahead, keep going to the next roundabout, turn right into the industrial estate and then right again to head towards Smyths. There are 2 signs for smyths, turn right at the one that takes you between 2 buildings rather than brings you into what is clearly their loading dock. If you find yourself in a halting site you turned right at the wrong roundabout. If you're in clondalkin, you didn't turn right at all.

If you're headed to Argos or Liffey Valley, you're still sitting on that hill wondering why I'm talking about halting sites. Look out your drivers side window - there it is. Now drive! Stay left, follow the road around to the left, go across a roundabout and get in the right lane*. At the big roundabout at the Cinema, turn right for argos and at the next roundabout turn right again in by McDonalds. Argos is down the back of that carpark. Big red letters, by the abandoned Woodies, you can't miss it.

*Remember I said stay right? If you're going to LV and you stayed right you have to turn right at the next roundabout for either the Cinema car park on the right or the Food Court carpark on the left. These have been mental since just before christmas. If you don't mind a walk, I'd actually stay left and go to the Marks and Spencers carpark, follow the purple car park signs, it's about the 3rd right from there.

Head is in the block just before the Food Court, so if you go in from the M&S or Next entrances, walk down and it's on your right before the escalators. Any other door you need to turn left and walk towards M&S, it's on your left just after the escalators.

What can I say? It's a slow day in work.

Meh. Think I'll just go to The Square, Tallaght.

Heh, not really, I'm in this food court place waiting for breakfast. Gonna go looking in a few mins. Thanks for the comprehensive directions!

Meanwhile, in totally other news, I got the TP WiiU special edition from Smyths the other day. Couldn't decide whether to open it or not. Arrived home yesterday to find my dog had decided for me. He had taken it off the counter and shredded the box, the mad bastard.

Not really a Switch story, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just thought, the new end of LV down by the Cinema has a lot of places to eat. That's not the food court, thats the Boots / Cinema end. If you're down there, maybe in Cosmo having an all-you-can-eat brunch, just remember you'll need someone to roll you down the stairs and all the way past boots and dunnes. Don't OD on pancakes and hash browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just thought, the new end of LV down by the Cinema has a lot of places to eat. That's not the food court, thats the Boots / Cinema end. If you're down there, maybe in Cosmo having an all-you-can-eat brunch, just remember you'll need someone to roll you down the stairs and all the way past boots and dunnes. Don't OD on pancakes and hash browns.

I was in Cosmo a couple of weeks ago. I loved it but I was in so much agony afterwards. I never felt pain like it before or want to again. :D I can laugh now but it wasn't funny at the time. I literally ate until I could eat no more. And 3 flights of stairs, had to take the elevator down.

Yeah the food ain't bad for an all-you-can-eat but they really need to have counsellors on hand to ask you if you really need another plate of the honey and something chicken.

The kids went nuts on side dishes - a dream plate of Yorkshire puds, poppadoms, naan bread, garlic bread, prawn crackers and some noodles because, you know, they're practically a veg, and a trip to the chocolate fountain (that's not a euphemism for what happened to them when their digestion system failed, it's at the dessert bar).

The Sonic trailer for anyone who didn't see it.

Sonic Forces | SXSW Gameplay Reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBIiPphdhM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, one of those "things" that wasn't there at the Switch launch but seemed to get some parties quite animated will be released, namely streaming channels like Netflix and Amazon.
    http://fortune.com/2017/03/09/nintendo-switch-netflix-amazon-hulu/

Here's the first review of The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ on the Switch for those of you interested. It's a great game.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DALFKiVsoDk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can't get here quickly enough!
    I'm hoping for it to arrive next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I just happened to be flicking through my Steam folder, and lo and behold I've The Binding of Isaac, and I've never installed it.

:/

I'm not a good gamer at all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I just happened to be flicking through my Steam folder, and lo and behold I've The Binding of Isaac, and I've never installed it.

I got it free on PS4 and I never rated it, played it for about 10 mins and just couldn't get into it...

Might give it a go again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

When I read the reviews I think "must check that out!" But then I watch the videos and it does nothing for me. Maybe if it goes down to a couple of quid on eshop I'll try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Multiple times I've gone to buy a game on Steam only to be told it's already in my library.

Numerous sites reporting on this worrisome statistic.

Survey Of 4500 Developers Shows Only 3% Are Making Games For Switch
    gdc_development_survey.jpg?w=1467

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/18/survey-of-4500-developers-shows-only-3-are-making-games-for-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That survey was made back in January, maybe before the reveal conference even. But it's old anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

sligeach wrote: »
    The Sonic trailer for anyone who didn't see it.

Sonic Forces | SXSW Gameplay Reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBIiPphdhM
    Reminds me of those CoD on rails levels where it was pointed out you dont need to actually touch the controller...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah it seems 3D sonic games basically need to be infinite runners to get the speed in there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sega just missed the point of their own creation and believed their own marketing. Sonic was never about speed, it was about momentum. The more momentum sonic picks up the easier he is to control. Now Sega is on an arms race with itself to make sonic faster but going that fast makes the games janky and unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

sligeach wrote: »
    Numerous sites reporting on this worrisome statistic.

Survey Of 4500 Developers Shows Only 3% Are Making Games For Switch
    gdc_development_survey.jpg?w=1467

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/18/survey-of-4500-developers-shows-only-3-are-making-games-for-switch/

I wouldn't be too worried about that stat. What developers said they were? Could have been the better ones.
    Who said they weren't? Could they have been mobile only crapola-not that there's isn't some good stuff on mobile.
    What developers are developing for Xbox and ps4 that aren't doing so for switch.
    Reckon a lot has changed since Janurary as well.
    Need qualitative stats as long as quantitative stats before coming to any conclusions.
    Yes, it would be great if there was a better percentage but it's not the end of the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Digital foundry article revealing the switch hardware is based on a bog standard tegra x1, no customisation at all. Won't really affect anything but a bit weird after the custom hardware comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Just picked one up today, got home and fired up tonight and the right joy-con stick isn't working :/ connected to the switch and tried to calibrate and it goes from being reasonably centered to going mad everywhere. Very frustrating after dropping a ton of cash on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Hi all, I have amazon credit and have been scouring the site for nintendo points for Switch. But they do not seem to be available.

Any ideas?

What, you mean credit for the eShop?
    Nintendo Points were a Wii thing. Now you buy credit for the eShop. €20 buys you €20 credit. Simples! The downside is that the UK store uses £ Sterling, so all the UK stores that sell eShop cards sell the Sterling cards. While you can connect to the UK store on the Switch, if you change your region from UK to Europe, you lose any UK credit you haven't spent.

(You can get around this by having separate users for the Euro and UK stores, but this has implications for access to DLC and that kind of thing).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eshop

There's the cards. If you apply this credit to your account it can be spent on 3DS, Wii U and Switch.

Note : I only looked at the first 2 hits, high fived myself and posted it. Don't scroll down. I cannot guarantee that the Gothic Corset will net you any eShop credit at all (although what you do with it is your own business)

What, you mean credit for the eShop?
    Nintendo Points were a Wii thing. Now you buy credit for the eShop. €20 buys you €20 credit. Simples! The downside is that the UK store uses £ Sterling, so all the UK stores that sell eShop cards sell the Sterling cards. While you can connect to the UK store on the Switch, if you change your region from UK to Europe, you lose any UK credit you haven't spent.

(You can get around this by having separate users for the Euro and UK stores, but this has implications for access to DLC and that kind of thing).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eshop

There's the cards. If you apply this credit to your account it can be spent on 3DS, Wii U and Switch.

Note : I only looked at the first 2 hits, high fived myself and posted it. Don't scroll down. I cannot guarantee that the Gothic Corset will net you any eShop credit at all (although what you do with it is your own business)

I managed to find the eshop on amazon not long after I posted

If I just buy a game digitally direct off Amazon will this still have UK / Ireland issues?

EDIT: Gothic Corset is on route now for educational purposes

Game Codes are ok, far as I know as you're getting the title rather than credit to buy the title. I redeemed a couple from Game.co.uk on the WiiU and 3DS without any issue despite having a Euro-based account. Haven't done it on the Switch yet, mind.

If you're looking at Snipperclips, just bear in mind that a code for the game is bundled with the JoyCon pairs, so you might want to use that as your excuse for picking up extra controllers.

Game Codes are ok, far as I know as you're getting the title rather than credit to buy the title. I redeemed a couple from Game.co.uk on the WiiU and 3DS without any issue despite having a Euro-based account. Haven't done it on the Switch yet, mind.

If you're looking at Snipperclips, just bear in mind that a code for the game is bundled with the JoyCon pairs, so you might want to use that as your excuse for picking up extra controllers.

nope I have the hard copy of Mario Kart pre ordered, but I have now decided to go all digital. So was going to cancel that and buy the digital code instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

How much does Snipperclips work out when you buy it this way?

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I just want to play Zelda. I'm sitting in work and all I can think about is the bus trip home where I can get some Zelda in before the kids go to bed and then I can play more Zelda.

Advertisement