Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Beginning to ramp up in Dublin 13

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmlfc

Mexican wave with the roof tiles
    Seems to be coming in waves and pulses here in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin airport 5am TAF forecasts winds possibly gusting up to 60 knots from 6am-8am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Seems to be getting worse in Roscommon too.
    Hoping nothing from out garden and shed has damaged neighbours property.
    Afraid to check!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Graces7 wrote: »

All OK here; my insides are not but I am ...

Bad toast maybe. :)

My dogs not liking it at all,Just like fireworks to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

@jcx bcc: Saw your atc updates on the aviation forum. Sounds like the early transatlantic arrivals had it rough in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭emo72

Woken by the sound of a Wheely bin going to ground in Lucan. No going back to sleep now. Tis fierce windy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dublin 15 checking in, mean speeds have increased considerably in the last 30 mins, sufficient to wake a heavy sleeper like me. I can only go by official stations for speeds after the fact, but the characteristic constant high wind is not something we see often in the City area. I would not be surprised to hear of widespread disruption by 7am from fallen trees on backroads and on the nearby Sligo-Maynooth-Dublin railway which is heavily tree lined.

That concern for high sided trucks on exposed sections of Dublin arterials is well founded, M50 westlink and Southern Cross sections may well see blockages, the wind direction is perfect to catch out lorries

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    @jcx bcc: Saw your atc updates on the aviation forum. Sounds like the early transatlantic arrivals had it rough in the last hour.

Yeah, no issues though, the first wave of arrivals into Dublin have all landed, and Shannon has also 3 items about to land, but looks okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Frequent strong gusts in south Dublin, about on par with the peak of what we usually get from Atlantic storms. This should get pretty lively in the next few hours if things go as models suggest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cdosrun wrote: »
    Bad toast maybe. :)

My dogs not liking it at all,Just like fireworks to her

No; interesting the way out bodies react. This weather is physically terrifying so we react in two ways, chosen and not chosen... and our bodies prepare us for flight... No more need be said! I was trying to sleep and flinching instinctively when the roof shook.

My dog is fine but she is downstairs and it is quieter there. The cats on my bed here have the right idea. Sleep!.

When i lived in Orkney, these severe gales would last 72 hours, The reeds would be bent to the ground. No trees there and guess why Shetland ponies have short leg!

St Patrick in the 5th century; "The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks..."

Dear Lord help the emergency services tonight; we have the easy part.

Good point.
    A box bodied van is the worst to drive in wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Situation at 8am according to Arpege... Going for about 70kt at Dublin airport

arpegeuk-11-8-0.png?23-05

Well that'll be fun for the departures peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭emo72

Alarms going off. Things hitting the ground. Worst than expected. Going to try go back to sleep but doubtful I will be able. Chaos expected in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Don't remember seeing pink over Dublin before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not too bad here in Galway now, but there are wheelie bins and other debris everywhere.

Wind gusting up to 61knots currently at Dublin airport.

Anyone in the west to let us know how it is the as it will leave there first.
    Thanks redsteve.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Very stormy here S.Dub 260m. There will be damage for sure. Is it to get worse? Are the timelines the same, 7-8am peak for Dub?

• Advertisement

Cdosrun wrote: »
    Anyone in the west to let us know how it is the as it will leave there first.

Here in West Clare it's remained steady since 2am, gusting up to 40kts regularly, mean speeds around 25-30kts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Weather people, Doris is loud and scary - was it supposed to be this bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AndiG

Kicked off again in Wexford. Stronger again. Bloody weather station packed in last week & waiting on parts to come so no readings. Worst week for that to happen.

snowflaker wrote: »

Yes. Early warnings so far accurate. Worse to come for next 2-3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

really??? aargh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes. Early warnings so far accurate. Worse to come for next 2-3 hours.

West Co Galway here and as bad as it has been all night. Sudden loud terrible gusts that shake the roof and walls. No let up at all. NB I am 400 ft asl and mountains on three sides and near the coast, which may increase gale effect?

Impressed that so far the power has held; have been here only a few weeks and noticed that the electricity pole connection was short and sturdy.. Well done ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

snowflaker wrote: »

No, MT Cranium said a page or 2 back that this really should have been a level 3 warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think weathercheck and some of the people who contributed frequently to this thread did a great job with an early call on the storm, also the Arpege model and to some extent the ECM model did well in showing the intensity of the storm. Some of the other guidance would have suggested a less dramatic outcome (wind speeds maybe 20-30 km/hr lower generally speaking). It certainly developed very quickly between 2300h and 0300h as it approached Connacht. Probably fair to say that it overperformed where quite often storms marginally underperform. As bad as it may seem now, I think it could be worse for parts of Britain.

No, MT Cranium said a page or 2 back that this really should have been a level 3 warning.

Locally, probably yes. But warnings on forum thread titles dont mean much except to us boardsies, its whether Met Éireann warnings are accurate and borne out that matters, they dictate emergency response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Very scary gust just now S.Dub 260m. Roof tiles coming off. I'm quite worried now.

Advertisement