Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Trampoline has moved about 6 foot, but it's still there thankfully. I think I'm just far enough south to have missed the worst of it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Guys, when will this have passed London? Trying to figure out if flight delays tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

No, MT Cranium said a page or 2 back that this really should have been a level 3 warning.

Just saw this after posting, to be fair the forum mods and OP did very well to call it level 2 quite early yesterday and it remains to be seen whether it will really verify at level 3 like Darwin did, probably it has in a few places but a strong level 2 is perhaps the better option. Also the forum generally like to follow the met-E warnings and they had their version of level 2 for the east coast. It's fair to say, I think, that the storm was easily level 2 in Connacht and locally level 3 and that didn't seem to make it into the official warnings unless I am reading them wrong. In my case I sort of jump back and forth between my forecast thread where I don't use levels, just numbers for wind speed and these specific threads where it is the policy to give the thread a level.

This could quite easily have been a dud given the respectable models showing less than dramatic development (a level one maybe) and we tend to split the difference sometimes when there's a range -- this will build credibility for the models that did best with the storm. (Arpege in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

antodeco wrote: »
    Guys, when will this have passed London? Trying to figure out if flight delays tomorrow

It'll have mostly cleared the UK mostly by tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just let the dog out to pee and one of the gas cylinders is at the door.. never had one of those be moved by wind before... Still roaring..

CAts heard something and then I heard the third cat outside... Safe in now and telling me off...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Max gust in Galway city was 84 km/h at 01:32am with a high speed of 47 km/h recorded at 02:19am
    Currently gusting up to 53 km/h with a mean of 31 km/h
    Barometer 993.03 hPa Rising very rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

While the winds are severe, I would hold the phone on a red warning. Red warning if I'm not mistaken is gusts exceeding 130 km/hr. any examples of this reported?

Casement reporting gusts of 62kts at 6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Seems it is starting to hit Wales now which must mean it will be over for us soon.

While the winds are severe, I would hold the phone on a red warning. Red warning if I'm not mistaken is gusts exceeding 130 km/hr. any examples of this reported?

Mace head got to 141km/h at 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Power flickering on and off, seems that there is a large fault at Arigna over the mountain. Have heard a few bumps in the night outside, not been out to check yet. It doesn't seem quite as bad at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Still wild in Roscommon.
    Opening the door was exhilarating but I haven't ventured out yet.
    Still too dark outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Monaghan - Cavan here. Incredibly intense storm. There is all kinds of stuff blowing around outside and hitting the house.

Can I ask when it is likely to calm down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Well feck them and their weather warning system. It was very bad here in north Galway at approx 3am. At this stage youd roll your eyes at an orange alert. Last night was justified. Even last yr i would have paid more heed to an orange alert and make sure everything was secure. Will see what daylight brings!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Just looked outside.
    There's a drain pipe outside the door.

No idea where it came from. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

**** off Doris you bitch

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wind has picked up considerably in the last half hour here in north meath, lights just flicked off and on again, everything outside still in its place including the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's still unusually pitch black here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

very gusty in wicklow have been woke up by roof tiles rattling heres hoping none have gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Jesus. I'm actually scared. Just heard a big boom. Not heard the like of this in decades here (Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Savage hail on the roof here now. Deafening. Worse than all night. West Co Galway
    Wondering if the mountains will show white when light comes...

Couple of Go-Arounds at Dublin airport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

The other half honestly thinks he'll be playing a round of golf at 8am in Kildare :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Addle wrote: »
    It's still unusually pitch black here!

It's pitch dark as normal this morning for this time
    Well it's still pitch black on the east coast so you ain't getting any light just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

horsefarm wrote: »
    The other half honestly thinks he'll be playing a round of golf at 8am in Kildare :rolleyes:

If he does I'd be having my suspicions 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Apart from the wheelie bin obstacle course, dead branchs on the road and idiot drivers a pretty uneventful drive West into Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Power has gone here now, pish off Doris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Great day to leave out overflowing wheelie bins as some of my neighbours have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A bit of a breeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Graces7 wrote: »
    Savage hail on the roof here now. Deafening. Worse than all night. West Co Galway
    Wondering if the mountains will show white when light comes...

In the same area , I was out for a look there and no white hills I can see anyhow . Plenty of stuff blown around though

Advertisement