Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Read about the Yellow warning yesterday - thought this is just the usual guff. In Roscommon and it is dangerous down here - our sheds roof is dangling in the wind. Had to go outside because of the bins etc - was glad yo get back inside!
    Should have been an Orange warning!!
    Goodnight! Up at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So a while of this yet? Going to make toast whle still have power although very glad of a multi fuel cottage;

THAT WAS A LOUD ONE! Ears are popping... West Co Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

About 11500 homes without power now across the country, according to ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I'm going to make some porridge incase the electricity is gone in the morning;)

nagdefy wrote: »
    I'm going to make some porridge incase the electricity is gone in the morning;)

Great minds! Toast making here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MJohnston wrote: »
    About 11500 homes without power now across the country, according to ESB.

Half of them gone in Mayo including my own, the storm is moving slower as peak winds should of been over an hour ago here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That Squall line is getting severe as it passes over the Irish sea, could be very powerful hitting the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Lorry overturned on exit 11 Monasterboice southbound on M1

MJohnston wrote:
    That was just the starter's pistol.

Really? Awesome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Earlier strong winds in Dublin were associated with squall line, the main event appears to be about two-thirds of the way across Ireland now and will arrive in Dublin about 0445h when the gust front apparent on radar checks in.

Gusts to about 80 km/hr at times until then, ramping up to about 110 km/hr by 0500h or possibly 0600h. Wind direction will be WSW until the increase then due west veering slowly to northwest before easing around 10:00 h. About the same story further north along the coast.

Winds in Galway and Mayo should ease very gradually to about 0900h then more steadily back to a fairly tolerable 40-70 km/hr by mid-day.

South coast has reasonably strong gusts too, these will tend to ease off when the wind shifts as the current direction is more enhanced by ocean than the later set-up will be. So peak winds on south coast about 0500-0700h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just got up to check the dogs and cats (and make toast - ye have me starving in here) and there's several big spiders have come in all around the back door. Weird. Maybe they know something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport gusting 135.1 km/hr on the 04.00

Castlebar gusting 124.3km/hr and pressure rising to 985 , anyway I am out till the morning when hopefully power is restored, phone is nearly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I don't think that I have ever heard the wind rage so fiercely since we moved into this house. I am very thankful to be inside and for the warmth, comfort and shelter of home. Plus we still have electricity.

The poor babog is coughing up her poor wee lungs and is currently perched on my shoulder oblivious to all.

The wind seems to be dying down a little now (pity that hubby's snoring is getting greater). Toast sound good I think. I wonder if I can manage it single handedly without waking her.... Probably not :sad:

Gusting up to 53kts at Dublin airport currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Rain stopped in Dublin 7 but wind is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Those inland winds are strong enough to prompt a suggestion here to upgrade the warning to a level 3 before a larger number of readers come on line, it seems very likely to me that substantial wind damage will occur across the inland north-central counties and probably into the Dublin region just around the start of the morning commute period. I realize that not many mods may be available at this point. Might be worth placing a more specific thread title on the forum just to catch more readers before they head out (which at this point seems like a dangerous idea, I would stay home this morning in Leinster and Connacht, parts of Ulster being hit by strong winds). Going to update my forecast with this sort of wording now.

Earlier strong winds in Dublin were associated with squall line, the main event appears to be about two-thirds of the way across Ireland now and will arrive in Dublin about 0445h when the gust front apparent on radar checks in.

Gusts to about 80 km/hr at times until then, ramping up to about 110 km/hr by 0500h or possibly 0600h. Wind direction will be WSW until the increase then due west veering slowly to northwest before easing around 10:00 h. About the same story further north along the coast.

Winds in Galway and Mayo should ease very gradually to about 0900h then more steadily back to a fairly tolerable 40-70 km/hr by mid-day.

South coast has reasonably strong gusts too, these will tend to ease off when the wind shifts as the current direction is more enhanced by ocean than the later set-up will be. So peak winds on south coast about 0500-0700h.

Thanks.
    This is the guy to read from.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Was fairly calm for about an hour here in se Sligo as the eye passed over, suddenly its crazy out there, roof creaking at each gust and hail in the rain. Barometer creeping up now, lowest was 979.8mb. I really don't like wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Those inland winds are strong enough to prompt a suggestion here to upgrade the warning to a level 3 before a larger number of readers come on line, it seems very likely to me that substantial wind damage will occur across the inland north-central counties and probably into the Dublin region just around the start of the morning commute period. I realize that not many mods may be available at this point. Might be worth placing a more specific thread title on the forum just to catch more readers before they head out (which at this point seems like a dangerous idea, I would stay home this morning in Leinster and Connacht, parts of Ulster being hit by strong winds). Going to update my forecast with this sort of wording now.

Yikes. I'm in North Kildare and wind is fairly loud already. We're in our new house and the back of it seems to catch the wind. I also forgot to tie down the toy car in the garden.... wondering do I need to get up

4:30am METAR

Dublin: 230 degrees 29kts G 53kts
    Shannon 270 degrees 35kts G 54kts

I understand the gust at Dublin is now below 53kts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Doris definitely packs a punch, Dublin should be fun in the morning!

Pangea wrote: »
    Doris definitely packs a punch, Dublin should be fun in the morning!

Yeah, a few times I though it was all over only for it to kick off again.
    Roof leaking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

From my rough calculation on the ESB site roughly 21,000 outages.. already.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Really picked up here in the last half hour in Sligo town. Howling wind and rain, lights flickering - hope the electricity doesn't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Home in Roscommon to bring elderly relative to medical appointment in the morning. Meant to be leaving at 7.15.
    No power so I know she'll be upset heading off without having a shower. And she's a nervous traveller.
    I can't ever remember hearing such strong winds before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AndiG

Wind woke me in Wexford about half an hour ago. Calmed down again in last few minutes. I'm afraid to look out the window after the gusts I did hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Addle wrote:
    Home in Roscommon to bring elderly relative to medical appointment in the morning. Meant to be leaving at 7.15. No power so I know she'll be upset heading off without having a shower. And she's a nervous traveller. I can't ever remember hearing such strong winds before.

Mind yourselves. Safe travels.

Insane gusts in Mountmellick. Quite worrying indeed. Will be catching most people extremely off guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Very strong winds in roscommon. . Usually working tonight but had a night off.. I'm grateful but anyone that's out in that I pity .

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Here in Delvin in Westmeath it's a complete whore of a night. Roof is creaking and slates dancing with the gusts. Unreal driving rain. Worried what I will see when daylight comes

• Advertisement

Sounds worse than ever up here; West Co Galway 400 ft asl and mountains on three sides.

They are clearly still asleep at met.ie!

I called Canada and they asked what the noise was...

All OK here; my insides are not but I am ...

I have two of my cats here; not sure where the third is but am sure he is in the house.

Advertisement