Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

If you read post 36 you will see that billie1b has calculated that the 738 will only be able to take 96 passengers on a non stop service ex-Cork. That's a terrible figure, I'd have thought that a plane like the 738 would manage a t/o with a full load on Cork's runway of 2133m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

roundymac wrote: »
    If you read post 36 you will see that billie1b has calculated that the 738 will only be able to take 96 passengers on a non stop service ex-Cork. That's a terrible figure, I'd have thought that a plane like the 738 would manage a t/o with a full load on Cork's runway of 2133m.

I'm guessing it could do if it were a destination within Europe or even the Canaries, but an Atlantic Westbound crossing with a full load pax/fuel would be a struggle from Cork's runway for a B738.

Yes, it's the US I'm on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really difficult to see what this is going to achieve. Surely it can't be economical with 90 Economy passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Rawr

Really difficult to see what this is going to achieve. Surely it can't be economical with 90 Economy passengers?

That is what puzzles me a little. Beyond the convenience factor of flying direct into Cork, they're also going to need to compete on price. Not sure if 90 economy tickets will do the job.

I've read before that Norwegian are intending to get their hands on some A321 NEO LRs. Any idea if one of those could take off from Cork fully loaded?

A fully loaded A321 might pay the bill?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The watchers elsewhere in the industry are looking at the ORK route as a door opener. NAI want permission to operate out of ORK, they are proposing to do so with a B737, looks harmless doesnt it.
    But once they get the licence they then have precedence to begin operations from every other EU airport to every other US airport using whatever aircraft they have in their inventory.

What they are asking for is not beyond any law or regulation, but as with any negotiation, "What will they do with that permission once they have it?" is the question that is probably more important to ask.
    This is the reason for the political/industrial wraggling over this issue over the last 12-18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Exactly, Cork is a sideshow and makes little economic sense hence isn't worth dwelling on. It's all about the big picture and what NAI will do if the full approvals are granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    The watchers elsewhere in the industry are looking at the ORK route as a door opener. NAI want permission to operate out of ORK, they are proposing to do so with a B737, looks harmless doesnt it.
    But once they get the licence they then have precedence to begin operations from every other EU airport to every other US airport using whatever aircraft they have in their inventory.

What they are asking for is not beyond any law or regulation, but as with any negotiation, "What will they do with that permission once they have it?" is the question that is probably more important to ask.
    This is the reason for the political/industrial wraggling over this issue over the last 12-18 months.

Very true, do you believe they will ever operate from ORK?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

With all Norwegians hot air regarding Cork is it not reasonable to think they would have been ready to launch the service rapidly?
    Its not like they havn't had enough time to prepare!
    Will they be operational for Patricks day?
    Corks economy failed to make London city flights a success which is ominous for the Norwegian project.
    Notwithstanding the above lets hope it is supported.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

de biz wrote: »
    With all Norwegians hot air regarding Cork is it not reasonable to think they would have been ready to launch the service rapidly?

They could probably launch very quickly if they wanted to to operate empty flights.

A certain amount of time to pre-sell tickets is a sensible approach. That's not something they could have started proper to permissions being granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭snotboogie

de biz wrote: »
    Will they be operational for Patricks day?
    Corks economy failed to make London city flights a success which is ominous for the Norwegian project.
    Notwithstanding the above lets hope it is supported.
    London City was doing well, every month it was operational it was in the top 20 routes in the country outside of Dublin, It was doing similar numbers to the Cork-Manchester, Shannon-Boston and Shannon-Newark routes at around 7/8k a month. I'm not sure what cityjet were expecting? It was a fourth route from Cork to London, 3 times a day was ambitious but looking at the passenger number, twice a day seemed viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

snotboogie wrote: »
    London City was doing well, every month it was operational it was in the top 20 routes in the country outside of Dublin, It was doing similar numbers to the Cork-Manchester, Shannon-Boston and Shannon-Newark routes at around 7/8k a month. I'm not sure what cityjet were expecting? It was a fourth route from Cork to London, 3 times a day was ambitious but looking at the passenger number, twice a day seemed viable.

It's often that detail that gets missed in layman (which I am too!) discussions.

To operate a flight out of an airport there are lots of ancillary costs around ground operations, roster timings etc. Operating a flight twice a day probably would not be significantly cheaper than operating thrice a day. Instead of giving yourself a chance to make some money on the 3rd flight you are planning to have people standing around etc and still paying them. I would presume that is why they went for 3 a day.

I'd be open to correction though by any aviation experts we have here!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Very true, do you believe they will ever operate from ORK?
    I have no doubt that they will operate the route once permited. However I have low hopes for its longevity.
    Unfortunately I too am of the opinion that the route is merely a precedent setter to allow other routes elsewhere to be launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've seen suggestions online that the routes by NAI will be T.F Green and Stewart to DUB/SNN/ORK/EDI/MAN.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I've seen suggestions online that the routes by NAI will be T.F Green and Stewart to DUB/SNN/ORK/EDI/MAN.

Indeed. Link to an article in the Boston Herald posted here a few days ago:
    Looks like it will be flights to Rhode Island or New Hampshire for "Boston" and Stewart airport for New York, which would fit in with the ultra low cost model NAI are going to implement.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/12/norwegian_air_grounds_logan_for_ireland_flights

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Cork-USA tickets should be available from this month. Anyone know when exactly?
    Cork Airport’s head of communications said that the transatlantic services were due to take off in summer “with tickets due to go on sale in February” http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/norwegian-may-sell-tickets-for-us-flights-from-cork-next-month-1.2930161

They have to announce the services first, then we'll have a better idea of when the route goes on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

So in the next 2 weeks..... tick.... tock...... tick.....tock

flanzer wrote: »
    So in the next 2 weeks..... tick.... tock...... tick.....tock

I've been waiting 14 months already :)

• Advertisement

My wife has given on them for another year and booked SNN-JFK, looks like I'll be up that flipping road again at an ungodly hour.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

You would imagine a lot of people could do similar. Its getting late for this summer season imo.

My wife has given on them for another year and booked SNN-JFK, looks like I'll be up that flipping road again at an ungodly hour.:mad:

Could she travel Delta? The arrival into Shannon is at a slightly more humane hour.

She could but she won't, EI times suit her but not me.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It's a pity Aircoach don't connect Cork to SNN, Limerick/Galway to SNN, Galway to NOC etc

Bus Eireann serve SNN and ORK relatively well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Bus Eireann serve SNN and ORK relatively well.

The 0725 Cork - Galway Bus Eireann route 51 would get her to Shannon on time at 0954 for EI111 at 1245.

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1475575377-51.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Seems like paperwork in US was holding it up;

Details of the first transatlantic flights from Cork Airport could be announced within days after US authorities sanctioned the airline's final operational paperwork last night, writes Eoin English .

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) signed off on Norwegian Air International's Section 129 application which now clears the airline to announced route details and begin selling tickets.

The low-fares giant has done a huge amount of preparatory work in anticipation of last night's confirmation and it is understood that everything is now in place to announce the launch of Cork's first transatlantic routes.

Securing such a service has been a strategic goal of airport management for over 50 years.

The routes are expected to generate a massive boost for tourism and business development in the south.

It is expected that Norwegian Air International will announce its Cork to Boston routes first, with flights landing at TF Green Airport in Warwick, Rhode Island, about 112km south of Boston.

It is expected that its Cork - New York service will begin next year.

The airline is also expected to announce services from Shannon, Dublin and Belfast airports to the US too.

News that all the paperwork is now in place comes after the Obama administration granted a foreign carrier permit to the airline after an unprecedented two-and-a-half-year wait, and intense political and lobbying campaign.

The 0725 Cork - Galway Bus Eireann route 51 would get her to Shannon on time at 0954 for EI111 at 1245.

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1475575377-51.pdf
    I'll send you her phone nos, you can ring her and tell her that. Brave boy if you do Wanderer.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I'll send you her phone nos, you can ring her and tell her that. Brave boy if you do Wanderer.:D

She's your Wife, you can do the suggesting :D

Advertisement