Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭sporina

I got the quote, talked to them, gave them my details, the money left my account.
    What did you need to sort out? Were you missing paperwork on your end?

no the girl I dealt with initially gave me a quote (we spent some time negotiating it).. then I had to decide on one final thing.. so she said she would call me back the following monday.

She didn't so I called them - turned out she made some errors with terms we negotiated but i argued my case - said I had the quote on email and suggested they listen back to the conversation.

They did and called me back and indeed I was right - but as the initial rep had made the agreement with me they could not go back.

Then when I got the paperwork I found more discrepancies.. called them again - again more terms she agreed but she should not have had but as it was said they could not go back.

So now I am getting what I agreed initially - and waiting for amended documents..

Thank god for recorded conversations - but I would prefer to deal with competent staff and have confidence - whereas now I am not so secure with them.. I hope nothing else pops up unexpectedly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Your Age: 45
    Car type and engine: Skoda Octavia 1.6TD
    years driving: 25
    any claims: Was rear ended this year & claimed against other party, nothing against my own policy
    Price and provider: €1137 (chill.ie)

Last year was €495... to say I'm shocked is an understatement, a rise of €642!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Car/Engine: 02 Golf 1.4
    Years driving: 9
    Claims: 0
    Price: €530 DD (6Y NCB - €1100 QUOTE w/o) TPF&T
    Job/Location: Student/Wicklow - Off street parking

To be quoted the same as OP w/o my NCB on a much more powerful car @ 18 really grinds my gears...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

DvB wrote: »
    Your Age: 45
    Car type and engine: Skoda Octavia 1.6TD
    years driving: 25
    any claims: Was rear ended this year & claimed against other party, nothing against my own policy
    Price and provider: €1137 (chill.ie)

Last year was €495... to say I'm shocked is an understatement, a rise of €642!!

Seems like chill just want you too move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bot32

just wondering if you have a claim pending and you have 7 years no claim bonus and they are protected can you insurance go up last year my insurance was 480 eruo not bad i tipped a guys car no damage to either car no gardas called but after 3 months he is claiming wiplash. i didnt inform my insurance company cos no one was hurt big mistake for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bot32 wrote: »
    just wondering if you have a claim pending and you have 7 years no claim bonus and they are protected can you insurance go up last year my insurance was 480 eruo not bad i tipped a guys car no damage to either car no gardas called but after 3 months he is claiming wiplash. i didnt inform my insurance company cos no one was hurt big mistake for me.
    They can charge whatever they like.

I hope you deny any if no damage it didn't happen.

i did admit fault, but he was moving away and stopped suddenly and i hit his bumper there was no damage they rang me up and i didnt know what they where talking about i had forgotten about it, it was to have happened last march but i forget when he didnt want the garda called

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

i did admit fault, but he was moving away and stopped suddenly and i hit his bumper there was no damage they rang me up and i didnt know what they where talking about i had forgotten about it, it was to have happened last march but i forget when he didnt want the garda called

You're going to be stung or already are.
    Premium will rise. Keep in touch with them and fight it.
    Had it years ago bogus claim put in by car that hit my car but managed to get my insurance on their side. I fought it and never signed or filled in accident form they wanted filled in.
    The person even got my address off my insurance and called around on many different occasions. I was mostly out and nobody answered they never did anyway and knew as they described car.
    It eventually fell heard no more and no pay out but if I hadn't of fought my own insurance they were more then delighted to pay.

well ill find out next month i guess i have changed cars now from a 2002 to 2008 so hoping it wont be too high thank you for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you admitted liability / fault at the scene of the accident you have completely comprimised your insurer.

There is literally nothing they can do to defend against it.

Its an unfortunate place you have found yourself in but that is modern Ireland.

There are countless examples across boards, of the exact same situation occurring, yet people still blame insurance companies alone for the increases in premium over the last 18 to 24 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Not using the template as such but just idea of the increases:
    B 5 Passat 1.8T, 9 yrs NCB (24 yrs in reality) Age: grumpy age:mad:
    yrs driving 30
    Dublin, driveway parking.

F/C, Roadside etc.

2014 : €386
    2015 : €440
    2016 : €624
    2017 : €725 123.ie

Not the worst I suppose but still.....can't sit down....It's too sore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Car type: 05 Rav4
    Years driving: 18
    Claims: None
    Full Licence
    Price and Provider: 880 AA via AXA with one named driver . Up 500euro from last year. Went to Allianz after another poster here with same details. Down to 530euro. Will ring back AA and get it down again but why they make me jump through hoops every bloody year is beyond me.

AA came down to 700 but won't meet Allianzs quote, Allianz it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

one thing im noticing looking at these quotes is that insurance companies seem to be quoting cars over ten years old, and reasonably I might add

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

I have a 15 year old car and am getting quotes (although only one so far) would be interesting to see a list of companies insuring cars 15 years + in Ireland..

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Just renewed my car insurance last week. VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI 2008 €468.00 Fully Comp with Allianz. 30 years driving with FNCB.
    I thought it was ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

I have a 15 year old car and am getting quotes (although only one so far) would be interesting to see a list of companies insuring cars 15 years + in Ireland..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057675907

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Autosport wrote: »
    Just an update on this

AIG €1080:50
    An Post: €957
    Zurich €883

I'm giving up :( I now understand why people don't bother with it

So I ended up getting a policy with Avivia through the AA, I rang them and I managed to get a better quote with them so I'm insured for another year but Axa didn't want my custom anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So I ended up getting a policy with Avivia through the AA, I rang them and I managed to get a better quote with them so I'm insured for another year but Axa didn't want my custom anymore :(

How much? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'll probably end up joining you on the AXA scrap heap after 10 years, Allianz are looking good from the online quotes I've been doing, policy renewal not due for another 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Esel wrote: »
    How much? :)

€790.50 fully comp, fully comp on any other car as long as I don't own it.

Axa wanted over €900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

My wife just got a pre-renewal letter from Chill. Before quoting for this year they are requesting an Engineers Report on roadworthiness of the 2006 car.

I called for clarification of what this is and does the NCT not suffice. The giggly girl on phone put me on hold and came back and said to email in the "NCT thingy... I think".

I asked was this the form or the disc and she said "I am not sure what you get for NCT as I don't have a car.....(giggle)".
    I will look for form, but am not convinced this is the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Andrea B. wrote: »
    My wife just got a pre-renewal letter from Chill. Before quoting for this year they are requesting an Engineers Report on roadworthiness of the 2006 car.

I called for clarification of what this is and does the NCT not suffice. The giggly girl on phone put me on hold and came back and said to email in the "NCT thingy... I think".

I asked was this the form or the disc and she said "I am not sure what you get for NCT as I don't have a car.....(giggle)".

Jesus Christ! :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

For me it would be the end of it. Would look elsewhere straight on.

Has anyone else had or heard of the the "engineer report" request?
    I assumed that NCT data would be available to insurers already and I am not convinced that the NCT is what they require.
    *the car or driver has not had claim or modification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I assumed that NCT data would be available to insurers already and I am not convinced that the NCT is what they require.

Is that car an import by any chance?
    It makes me suspicious they start asking for it.
    Then again, chill employee had a hard enough time to know what a car actually is, judging by her reactions. So maybe they just want to know if it is having a valid nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I've only ever heard of an engineers report if the car was modified.

However, I did hear of an NCT cert being requested one time, it was Quinn-Direct who asked for it, it was in 2005 on a 1995 Fiesta.

"*the car or driver has not had claim or modification."
    Sorry, that was my statement, not theirs, just emphasizing no change in circumstances since last year that may have explained their request. The car was not imported.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

KC161 wrote: »
    I've only ever heard of an engineers report if the car was modified.

However, I did hear of an NCT cert being requested one time, it was Quinn-Direct who asked for it, it was in 2005 on a 1995 Fiesta.

The ould fella was asked for full nct form on his 06 last week. Broker - first Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

yeah i just sent a copy of my nct to first ireland... didn't think it was that weird.. maybe it is?

i had a letter of proof of third party driving experience (8 years to date) on my father's car sent to me in december.. so sent them that (last week). they want another now because there's a perceived gap in cover between the letter's date in december, and now.

Advertisement