Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

This post has been deleted.

oops, missed that bit. Makes those quotes even more outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CommShepard

Jaysus, what happened with the irish insurance companies in the last few years?!

I came to Ireland in 2007, I had a learners permit and I got quote for 1300 euro. In 2012 I sold my car, my insurance premium was 600 then.

I need a car now and most of the insurance website could not quote me. Chill insurance gave me a quote over the phone for 3650 euro. WTF?

I understand I lost my no claim bonus, but hey, my first insurance when I didn't even had my full licence was only a third of that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You obviously had a claim so realistically I kinda agree with those figures.

Nope all the pertinent information is my post. I let my NCB expire. That means, I haven't held a policy a few years. Loosing No claims discount is a given, but a ten fold increase.
    givyjoe wrote: »
    You agree?! So without any knowledge of what the cost of the claim was, or circumstances... you agree they should pay upwards of 2500 for one years insurance?!

No claim.

Thanks Fred, at least not everyone is jumping the gun.
    givyjoe wrote: »
    0 Years NCB, so most likely reason for that is an accident in the last year

Let it the policy expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

This time of the year again. Just received my renewal.

Full Irish License: 6 years
    NCB: 7 years
    Penalty Points:3
    Car: 2001 Mercedes CLK 2.0l petrol

Last Year €469 (123.ie)

Renewal offer is €584 :mad: €625 after adding the penalty points as I just got them added in time for renewal...

AA: €1486 (No, thanks)
    Liberty: €1010 (+APR 22.99% if paid in installments)

I am losing patience at this stage as 123 renewal comes with breakdown assist, driving other cars and step back protection. All other quote me 1k+ for same value policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^^ I'd say you might struggle to get it much less than the €625 wonski, especially considering the age of the car, not that its extremely old but no doubt you know the score. I'm sure for the few quotes you got many more providers didn't quote you.

These guys might be worth a shot though, I found them very good and my cars a 2004 reg;

http://paylessdirect.ie/cms/index.php?page=car-insurance-quick-quote

The online quote chucked back quite a few quotes at me so I would class them as a true broker rather than others who class themselves as "brokers" but who are in reality tied agents. The quote I got on the phone from them was better than the online quote but unfortunately their phone lines aren't open on a Saturday.

22.9% APR with Liberty.......whoa is that standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Car: 131 BMW 520D
    Full licence: 18 years
    Ncb: 8 years (company car before)

Fully comp for me and my wife with 123 was 600€ pretty much same as last year

About 400 less than other quotes

Also if I wanted to pay in instalments cost of credit was 40€

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

^^^ I'd say you might struggle to get it much less than the €625 wonski, especially considering the age of the car, not that its extremely old but no doubt you know the score. I'm sure for the few quotes you got many more providers didn't quote you.

These guys might be worth a shot though, I found them very good and my cars a 2004 reg;

http://paylessdirect.ie/cms/index.php?page=car-insurance-quick-quote

The online quote chucked back quite a few quotes at me so I would class them as a true broker rather than others who class themselves as "brokers" but who are in reality tied agents. The quote I got on the phone from them was better than the online quote but unfortunately their phone lines aren't open on a Saturday.

22.9% APR with Liberty.......whoa is that standard?

Thanks, will give them a call on Monday.

As for the apr, I would rather use a credit card or pay in one go if I had to.

Not sure how much 123 charges for the privilege, but I will check it.

You obviously had a claim so realistically I kinda agree with those figures.

Not trying to be smart, but even if he did have a claim, i dont agree with those figures.

10 years driving and being quoted over €40 per week to have insurance on the car?! Load of shite.

What's the point of having insurance if you can't make a claim without worrying that you'll be paying for it over and over again anyway? Surely defeats the whole purpose!? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭techdiver

Not trying to be smart, but even if he did have a claim, i dont agree with those figures.

10 years driving and being quoted over €40 per week to have insurance on the car?! Load of shite.

What's the point of having insurance if you can't make a claim without worrying that you'll be paying for it over and over again anyway? Surely defeats the whole purpose!? :rolleyes:

Essentially in this country the only reason to have insurance is third party claims and because it's a legal requirement. Unless you write off a new car worth €35,000+ there is no point ever claiming against your own policy because some "clever metrics" will define you as now being a higher risk.

It is ridiculous.I had a bike stolen recently that was covered by my home insurance. But, as I discovered, there was no point claiming as we would end up paying for it and more in the long term. So that's another lesson learned. Unless an item is massively expensive, no point claiming, so in other words, there is no point covering such items.

• Advertisement

I'd look at that somewhat differently to you. Yes I agree €40 a week is extortionate to insure a car alright but remember there are people out there being quoted them kind of figures and more who have a ncb (maybe not full ncb generally in fairness) and who didn't have an accident. I was paying well in excess of €40 a week on a full license in the lowest rated car when I started driving despite not having had any accidents..... Load of shite as you put it.

I'd have no qualms about charging somebody who had a serious accident where they were downright negligent €2k or more, irrespective of their driving experience....there are just too many people out there with a clean driving record paying that figure or close to it, irrespective of their driving experience. Everyone should be given a decent chance until they disprove themselves and remember somebody has to foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Jaysus, what happened with the irish insurance companies in the last few years?!

I came to Ireland in 2007, I had a learners permit and I got quote for 1300 euro. In 2012 I sold my car, my insurance premium was 600 then.

I need a car now and most of the insurance website could not quote me. Chill insurance gave me a quote over the phone for 3650 euro. WTF?

I understand I lost my no claim bonus, but hey, my first insurance when I didn't even had my full licence was only a third of that!!!

How long do you have before the NCB is not valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

That's insane. I mean, just did a test there, and said I didn't have any NCB. 3750 euro....when it's 660 now....

That is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Been quoted anywhere between 1800 and 3000 for full licenced driver on a 1.4 2006 Polo. (First policy in my own name) Has anyone any experience as to how much you can get off your premium with adding family members onto the policy as named drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Been quoted anywhere between 1800 and 3000 for full licenced driver on a 1.4 2006 Polo. (First policy in my own name) Has anyone any experience as to how much you can get off your premium with adding family members onto the policy as named drivers?

Try the full list in the list of insurers thread, might have some luck with Boxymo as you don't have any bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Nope all the pertinent information is my post. I let my NCB expire. That means, I haven't held a policy a few years. Loosing No claims discount is a given, but a ten fold increase.

No claim.

Thanks Fred, at least not everyone is jumping the gun.

Let it the policy expire.

Thanks for quoting me twice after I acknowledged my error, good job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Got renewal from Blue

Gender; F

Age; 49

Car; 2012 suzuki swift

No Claims; 10+ years

Full Licence; 10+ years

Cover - fully comp plus protected no claims

Renewal with Blue €555 (last year €499)

Everyone else I've been getting online quotes from are in the €800/900 mark...

Think I'm going to try a local broker, just to see if any difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gender; M

Age; 37

Car; 2014 Nissan Leaf

No Claims; 4 (accident 2 years ago but have step back protection)

Full Licence; 10+ years

Cover - fully comp

Price - €1530!!!

Went up from €500 to €820 last year due to a claim. This year it has increased by 90%.

To make matters worse, I can't shop around because I have an open claim dating back 5 years to when my wife had an accident on a van insurance policy of mine. Cover was with Setanta and the court case over who pays is still dragging on.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Male

2003 golf 1.9

Full licence since 2000.

No claims, but the wife wrote off her car last year. Value was 5k.

No points, she has 2.

Fully comp

632, up from 580 last year.

I'm happy enough with that quote not to shop around. Plus I wasn't sent out my ncb from last year. I know if I rang for it, they'd make me pay an administration charge, feck that. I got it with rsa through bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

50 in a few days. 2007 Aygo 1.0. 30 yrs full licence, full protected NCB (6yrs+), IAM Advanced Driver and a RoSPA Gold holder as well. Do about 4k a year on the road.

Allianz.............refused to quote. Because I had a claim where I got knocked off my motorbike 4 years ago. Wtf has that got to do with my car - esp as it was I that got knocked off.

Apparently NCB isn't what you think it is, and 'protected' NCB definitely isn't what you think it is either.

Other comedians quoted me €450 and €650.

The €650 is interesting as it's the same company I have my other car, a 1.8 225bhp coupé with............at € 450............go figure..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

My insurance company had my car valued at €19k, which is what it was worth when I bought it 2 years ago.

I pointed this out to them and they reduced the value to €14k.

My premium went up by €15...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My insurance company had my car valued at €19k, which is what it was worth when I bought it 2 years ago.

I pointed this out to them and they reduced the value to €14k.

My premium went up by €15...

Yep that wouldn't surprise me at all. When I was insuring an Avensis two years ago that was barely worth a grand 3 brokers actively encouraged me to push the value up to have a better chance of getting and get a better quote....which seemed to work. One went ahead and pushed up the value without even telling me they were doing so.

When I suggested pushing up the value of my current car to a guy I was getting a quote with over the phone in order to get a better quote he almost tore a chunk outta me........ Christ like? He backed down when I told him other providers had previously encouraged the practice.

Is it even possible to get third party only cover anymore?...... as opposed to TPF&T. It being a long long time since I was offered a third party only quote and I try quite a few of them every year.

Trying to get insured on a learners permit is absolute hell. I thought it might be a bit handier being 30 years old.
    Should have put myself down as a named driver on my dads policy a year ago.
    I only want to get the car and get insured now so I can practice properly between lessons with a fully licensed driver of course.

Axa told me they won't quote anyone over 30 on a learners permit without named driver experience of at least 1 year or more.
    Boxymo won't quote me, I talked to them on the phone and they didn't know why. Just said I don't meet the criteria but the guy couldnt give a reason why.
    AA pretty much laughed at me.
    Can't get a single online quote.
    Rang a bunch of other places and not had much luck.
    Tried Chill and all they could find was Liberty.

Seems like Liberty is the only option for me now. Have to Put a few mates down as named drivers and hopefully that'll drive it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Trying to get insured on a learners permit is absolute hell. I thought it might be a bit handier being 30 years old.
    Should have put myself down as a named driver on my dads policy a year ago.
    I only want to get the car and get insured now so I can practice properly between lessons with a fully licensed driver of course.

Axa told me they won't quote anyone over 30 on a learners permit without named driver experience of at least 1 year or more.
    Boxymo won't quote me, I talked to them on the phone and they didn't know why. Just said I don't meet the criteria but the guy couldnt give a reason why.
    AA pretty much laughed at me.
    Can't get a single online quote.
    Rang a bunch of other places and not had much luck.
    Tried Chill and all they could find was Liberty.

Seems like Liberty is the only option for me now. Have to Put a few mates down as named drivers and hopefully that'll drive it down.

Area may be a factor and the car type also.

Go with as small an engine as possible.

Keep it 1.0 or less if you can.

Go with as small an engine as possible.

Keep it 1.0 or less if you can.

Mine doesn't even have an engine and I'm still getting shafted...

70% increase last year, 90% increase this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Got renewal from Blue

Gender; F

Age; 49

Car; 2012 suzuki swift

No Claims; 10+ years

Full Licence; 10+ years

Cover - fully comp plus protected no claims

Renewal with Blue €555 (last year €499)

Everyone else I've been getting online quotes from are in the €800/900 mark...

Think I'm going to try a local broker, just to see if any difference...

So, phoned Blue and they brought the quote down to €500. But, got online quote from Aviva for €455. That is specifically for one payment - same policy - part payment was €539.

"Please note payment method (one annual payment or monthly direct debits) is considered to be a rating factor, similar to engine size, area, driving experience and will have an impact on the amount you pay. This premium is valid for payment in full only."

as everything else was the same went with the €455...

Advertisement