Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It would make more sense to be concerned where a license was issued than whether or not they have a penalty point system in place.
    Finnish people have to jump through hoops to pass for a license while some countries seem to hand them out for free with a breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

inforfun wrote: »
    It would make more sense to be concerned where a license was issued than whether or not they have a penalty point system in place.
    Finnish people have to jump through hoops to pass for a license while some countries seem to hand them out for free with a breakfast roll.

I agree, but as far as I was told insurance companies cannot charge more based on this. So instead they play the system by giving the discount based on penalty free driving,

So instead of charging a premium for non irish license, they put the price of the Irish license loading up to meet the highest of the other EU countries and then reward back with heavy discounts on penalty free driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Your Age: 42
    Car type and engine: 2002 Passat 1.9
    years driving: 10+
    any claims: 10+
    Price and provider: 910 Britton Insurance

2015 - 400 (lexus is200)
    2016 - 660 (Passat)

Pretty hefty increase again this year...
    Currently shopping around.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Your Age: 42
    Car type and engine: 2002 Passat 1.9
    Price and provider: 910 Britton Insurance

2015 - 400 (lexus is200)
    2016 - 660 (Passat)

Pretty hefty increase again this year...
    Currently shopping around.

Try liberty - and it isn't just a random suggestion, but seriously impressed with the updated quote they gave me.

650 euro compared to 900 odd earlier with everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

flexcon wrote: »
    I was actually told by a friend in an insurance company that under EU law you cannot charge more for a premium based on the country where the license was issued.

That is incorrect, provided the insurer can prove why they are charging EU licence holders more.

The company I work for have had discrimination cases brought against them by EU licence holders because they were charged more for quotes than an Irish or UK licence holder for the same car and same bonus.

The company were able to provide the WRC (workplace relations commission) with actuarial data that proved EU licenced drivers on our books were having more claims than Irish/UK licence holders and were charged more because of it. As a result, the discrimination claims were dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

givyjoe wrote: »
    You might not agree with it, but that's the reason. Ridiculous, but there you go. The idea is that two people cant drive the car at once. So if the second person is a lower perceived risk, the overall premium will therefore be cheaper because the risk of accident is lower.

On a name driver costing more, usually this is where named drivers were someones less experienced son, or daughter. Therefore they were a greater insurance risk.

Hmm, I'd like to see evidence of this, a link or that.

The thing is the driver I named is higher risk in my case in my case. The underwriting criteria was that the name driver had to have a full license, be accident and claim free for the last 5 years and as I recall needs to have a car of their own on the road.....They could conceivably be a higher risk than me and most likely are in my case as they don't have as many years claims free as me.

I'd be inclined to go with my original assumption that it is to get new business in unless of course I see hard evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Is there any comeback on the other named drivers own car insurance if you have a crash?

vandriver wrote: »
    Is there any comeback on the other named drivers own car insurance if you have a crash?

I wouldn't think so. If they had an accident in the car they were a named driver on then it would affect that policy and indeed their own NCB I would think...they would be obliged to disclose the accident when asked "any accidents, claims or convictions?" when renewing their own insurance next time round.... and in fact may rightfully be obliged to disclose it to their own insurer before that I am thinking.

Having said all that though who knows? The way motor insurance has gone it seems all rules has gone out the window...its gone nutsconfused.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

2004 Corolla 1.4 hatchback;
    35 year old male;
    Full 10 year NCB and full Irish license held since September 2001;
    2 penalty points for speeding;
    No claims; convictions or medical conditions;
    €445 full comprehensive cover with paylessdirect.ie

It is €70 cheaper at that price in account of me naming my girlfriend on the policy (traditionally it would have cost you to name someone on a policy in my experience but then again motor insurance is gone bananas in more ways than one).

Just by comparison it was €530 last year with a different provider and the exact same particulars apart from did not have anyone else named on the policy. The cover was very similar too if not the exact same....

Dont know how you got that quote, I tried it there for similar details you have set out above and got 789.

You must show your tricks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Using FBD online.

My quick quote was 612 for TPFT.

I input my details and it goes to 1322

32 year old male, 1.9 DTI Vectra
    10 years no claims
    no points

• Advertisement

allibastor wrote: »
    Dont know how you got that quote, I tried it there for similar details you have set out above and got 789.

You must show your tricks !

My only real trick was persistence and taking at least half a day out if not more to ring them all. It can be a bit soul destroying and I know a lot of people aren't inclined to do that but the variance between the best quote and the highest is absolutely massive and every thing in between. As usual An Post insurance quoted me an absolutely extortionate figure....they are consistently the most expensive (despite all the crap they push through my door about their "fantastic offers". Quotes were typically coming in at around €7-800 for comprehensive cover.

Paylessdirect chucked back a higher quote at me when I punched my details into the online quote but not drastically higher, around the €520 mark if I recall correctly. Worth noting that age and address/ area of use may play a bigger part than you might imagine allibastor. Are you full sure you are providing details like for like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What the hell is going on!!

Two year ago my insurance was €585 now I get a renewal in the door for €940.
    Me and the wife,
    08 1800cc civic
    No claims and full ncb.
    Driving over 20 years.

Any good places for quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What's the punishment for driving uninsured?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Phil.x wrote: »
    What the punishment for driving uninsured?

Ban and fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ban and fine.

apt username.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

apt username.

Oh and of course punishment of points......

He he......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Your Age: 49
    Car type and engine: 2005 Honda Civic Type S 2.0
    Price and provider: 469 for comprehensive with its4women

2016 - 476 wtih 25plus

These are the same company really but the renewal was €544 from 25plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Im getting a quote of 770 for a 2.2 JTS alfa 159 from 123.ie. I cant remember if i bought the car in April or May 2016, but the difference in insurance price here is €70! Can anyone explain that?

Also the more named drivers i have the cheaper the policy. Is there anything wrong with adding a few named drivers so, even if they're probably never going to drive the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Me and the wife,
    08 1800cc civic
    No claims and full ncb.
    Driving over 20 years.

Prices for online quotes can be dearer than talking to somebody on the phone. I went with the AA who are underwritten by Aviva and got fully comp for €432. Aviva's renewal was €561 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 lor2ie

Got a quote of €450 this month from Aviva compare to €320 last year for same car.

1.2 seat ibiza 2012
    56yr female
    5 year + no claim bonus

went online to its4women.ie (same company as 25plus.ie) and first quote from its4women was for €370 fully comprehensive. I then realized I had forgotten to add an older named driver. Then it went down to €350 which I was surprised at. Then I came across this forum and saw the code for 25plus.ie to get a reduction so nothing ventured nothing gained so put in the code LQ456 and my insurance went down to €315...pretty good compared to the original quote of €450 from Aviva!!

I know everything has to be through the portal on its4women and if any calls its a charge of €20 or more... but I can live with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Me and the wife,
    08 1800cc civic
    No claims and full ncb.
    Driving over 20 years.

Try Liberty Insurance online, especially if you're adding a parent as a named driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Provisional license
    Driving experience: 6 years
    NCB: 4 years
    Claims: 0
    1999 Polo 1.0 Petrol

renewal last year was 955.61 with Liberty via Chill, fully comp
    renewal email this year was 968.82 with Liberty via Chill again

spent ages looking for quotes online, using combinations of insuring only myself, and adding my dad to my policy

results were mixed - anywhere from around 900/1000 to 1600+ for fully comp, with some insurers refusing to offer quotes

Then I looked for a quote from Liberty directly without my dad on the policy (900-ish euro), then edited the quote to add my dad, which brought it down to 590-something (for TPFT only; they won't offer me Comprehensive)

Proof that shopping around does indeed work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Mostly getting quotes at this stages. I have let my previous NCB on my garaged 01 Leon 1.4 Petrol, lapse. Previous policy €275

Full Irish
    Driving experience: 10 years
    NCB: 0 years
    1999 Polo 1.0 Petrol

Figured older cars were out so did not even try to get a quote on my old motor.
    4-5 Quotes so far on smaller, newer 1.0-1.1 cars coming at €2,500-€4,000. I would pay less on learner permit. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mostly getting quotes at this stages. I have let my previous NCB on my garaged 01 Leon 1.4 Petrol, lapse. Previous policy €275

Full Irish
    Driving experience: 10 years
    NCB: 0 years
    1999 Polo 1.0 Petrol

Figured older cars were out so did not even try to get a quote on my old motor.
    4-5 Quotes so far on smaller, newer 1.0-1.1 cars coming at €2,500-€4,000. I would pay less on learner permit. :confused::confused:

You obviously had a claim so realistically I kinda agree with those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You obviously had a claim so realistically I kinda agree with those figures.

You agree?! So without any knowledge of what the cost of the claim was, or circumstances... you agree they should pay upwards of 2500 for one years insurance?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

0 Years NCB, so most likely reason for that is an accident in the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Your Age: 32
    Car type and engine: 2008 VW POLO 1.2
    any claims: 5+ No Claims Discount
    Price and provider: 446 for comprehensive with Aviva through broker (McCarthy Insurance Group) would have been 406 but have just moved address so they stung me 40 euro. Have wife as named driver on policy

2016 - 440 with same insurer.

I rang chill and they quoted 700 odd - when i told them my renewal they said take that the renewal as you will be lucky to get near it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement