Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Age 46 driving since 17
    no claims
    Car and type :2017 Passat 2.0 BiTDi 240bhp

Qoute from Aviva ( with girlfriend added) 654 euro (surprised how cheap to be honest!)

Nice motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

KC161 wrote: »
    I don't find they have changed much since their Quinn days.

They can be right [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL] for making a claim apparently.

Cheapest quote isn't always best.

Liberty are a shower of rip of merchants. They qouted me 1896 euro that absolutely has no justification for it. I'm 46 , held full licence since i was 19 and never an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Liberty are a shower of rip of merchants. They qouted me 1896 euro that absolutely has no justification for it. I'm 46 , held full licence since i was 19 and never an accident.

You aren't in their target market.

I don't know why people get so rankled when quoted a silly price.

Its nothing personal, its that you don't tick the boxes for the type of driver they want.

That's no reflection on you, it could be for the most mundane of reasons.

Liberty for example seem to be targeting the young driver market at the moment, they are quoting a lot at decent (relative to the risk) premiums but then quoting seasoned motorists like yourself ridiculous prices.

On the surface it doesn't make sense but they are obviously putting their eggs in a particular basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Rod Munch wrote: »
    You aren't in their target market.

Its nothing personal, its that you don't tick the boxes for the type of driver they want.

That's no reflection on you, it could be for the most mundane of reasons.

Liberty for example seem to be targeting the young driver market at the moment, they are quoting a lot at decent (relative to the risk) premiums but then quoting seasoned motorists like yourself ridiculous prices.

On the surface it doesn't make sense but they are obviously putting their eggs in a particular basket.
    so any savings the younger drivers get is made up by screwing the older drivers???

KC161 wrote: »
    so any savings the younger drivers get is made up by screwing the older drivers???

Who is screwing older drivers?

Are liberty putting a gun to peoples head?

You don't have to buy a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Rod Munch wrote:

As a clean driver for 30 years, I can certainly see why people get rankled by a silly price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

If insurance companys want a specific customer type....then they should mention it on their website.

That would save a lot of time and less acting the bollox.

Although, being given a ridiculously high quote and hoping you will feck off smells like discrimination to me.

If insurance companys want a specific customer type....then they should mention it on their website.

That would save a lot of time and less acting the bollox.

Although, being given a ridiculously high quote and hoping you will feck off smells like discrimination to me.

If insurers stated on their site or otherwise that they will only quote X,Y & Z cheaply then I reckon within less than 24 hours they would be slapped with multiple discrimination lawsuits.

Its not discrimination to charge someone more.

It is discrimination to say they only want to quote X,Y & Z cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Autosport wrote: »
    Your Age: 30+
    Car type and engine: Volvo V40 2L
    years driving: 15+ but only 6 count
    any claims: none
    Price and provider: Axa renewal €853
    Avivia : €890
    Liberty: €954

At this stage I'm thinking of getting a bike :(
    Just an update on this

AIG €1080:50
    An Post: €957
    Zurich €883

I'm giving up :( I now understand why people don't bother with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Why is there not a proper comparison site here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Who is screwing older drivers?

Are liberty putting a gun to peoples head?

You don't have to buy a quote.

You do have to have insurance though and when many people are getting crazy quotes EVERYWHERE.. how are they supposed to feel?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Why wouldn't it be cheaper?

Are you paying a low premium here?

I keep hearing how Irish insurers are gouging but on continental Europe you can get insurance for about tree fiddy.

If its not too much hassle for you I'd love if you could try, just to see would they quote you seeing as you are (presumably) residing in RoI and to see what they would quote.

Posted my quote (renewal with BoI) here a while ago and didnt bother looking anywhere else. Up by about 10% despite another year no claim extra but that would still be 10% cheaper than last year's 2nd best quote i had.
    For once i dint want to have to make call after call and get bored with quote of €8/900
    So i just took the €400 i got quoted by BoI

I am indeed residing here. It was me who posted the screenshot of a Dutch insurance comparison site a couple of pages ago. Those were the quotes i got using my old Dutch address though but my current cars details (year, engine etc)
    Cheapest i could get was €21.50 a month.

The problem is, there isnt really any like for like comparison to make.
    That €21,50 would give me exactly what i want. 3rd party only, no extra's
    You cant even get that here but on a 14 year old car, it is exactly what i want.

it is a bit as with broadband internet. You pay €50 a month and you get "free" phone thrown in with. I dont want a phone, i want cheaper broadband.

As for trying to get them to quote me in Holland.... Cant use my address on those website as they only need zipcode and house number which is in a format 1234 AA 123
    So it would require me to call them....

For those who like a little Dutch adventure....

https://www.independer.nl/autoverzekering/intro.aspx

4f4161e0b5513be2e01593f13694f80b.png

Leave "kenteken" blank, just tick the box below (onbekend)
    Postcode, pick 4 numbers, starting with 10 or 30 and 2 letters)
    10 = Amsterdam, 30 rotterdam. cant get any dearer than that.
    Huisnummer = Housenumber. keep it below 100 and should be fine.
    3rd box can be left empty

Click big yellow box.

Next page is a bunch of drop down menu's. click them and you ll see what they ask for. (brand, type, year/month built)

Click yellow box

Next is your personal details
    DOB
    Kilometers per year
    NCB years

Next yellow box and your quotes will show.

Their recommendation is marked by a purple box for the type of insurance, not the insurer per se.

Edit:

Asked Independer via twitter if it was possible for me to insure my Irish registered car with an Irish address with a Dutch insurer.
    Answer was that you can only insure a Dutch registered car while you yourself is also registered in The Netherlands, with a Dutch insurer.

So, maybe the EU rules tell you you can do it (i dont know), it is just not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

givyjoe wrote: »
    You do have to have insurance though and when many people are getting crazy quotes EVERYWHERE.. how are they supposed to feel?

thats the way of the world unfortunately - same in all industries..

get your quote on line and then get on the phone and haggle haggle - thats what works for me

thats the same in all industries - prices and packages differ..

its time to act - not feel.. get your quotes on line and then get on the phone and haggle - seems to work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

sporina wrote: »
    thats the same in all industries - prices and packages differ..

its time to act - not feel.. get your quotes on line and then get on the phone and haggle - seems to work for me

Sorry, all industries most certainly do not operate the way the Irish Motor Insurance industry currently does.

Great if it works for you do, it didn't for me last year.. there's unlikely to be much wiggle room in quotes of 1.3k and upwards, at least palatable wiggle room. I'll not hold my breath that it will be better this year seen as premiums continue to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

inforfun wrote: »

Here, €78.50 a month for TPFT. Over there, with the highest option (which i'd imagine is Fully Comp with all the extras, i don't speak Dutch!) was €35.59 a month...

3rd column is indeed fully comp & extra's, middle is TPFT, left one is just 3rd party

Now the ones with "normal" quotes, like myself, probably will not see that much of a difference.
    But i have never heard of anyone in Holland getting a €3000 quote on a 1L ****box.
    But we dont do provisionals either.

Sorry, all industries most certainly do not operate the way the Irish Motor Insurance industry currently does.

Great if it works for you do, it didn't for me last year.. there's unlikely to be much wiggle room in quotes of 1.3k and upwards, at least palatable wiggle room. I'll not hold my breath that it will be better this year seen as premiums continue to rise.

awe come on... banks offer different charges.. gee you can find the same pair of shoes in various stores for different prices..

but i hear you and empathize with you.. but we cannot fight the power of the car insurance industry (or the number of fatalities and claims; all we can do is take care on the road ourselves) - all we can do is the best we can - shop around.. and try to get the best price..

sporina wrote: »
    awe come on... banks offer different charges.. gee you can find the same pair of shoes in various stores for different prices..

but i hear you and empathize with you.. but we cannot fight the power of the car insurance industry (or the number of fatalities and claims; all we can do is take care on the road ourselves) - all we can do is the best we can - shop around.. and try to get the best price..

Life would be a lot easier in that respect if it wasnt for the serious lack of price comparison websites here.
    Not just for insurance but for basically everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

38 year old male / 10+ Full Irish / 9 years NCB / 2 penalty points
    2002 1.4 Focus worth 2 grand
    Co Galway / Galway city area
    3rd P&FT
    Missus on policy too / 35 yr old / Own car, Full Irish 10+ no points

2016 Renewal with 123.ie (I've been with them for 3/4 years) was €364.00.

They were far and away the cheapest again. The next cheapest was €683.00 with AXA (i think, can't remember exactly) and from there it went to over 800 quid from others. Surprised by how many companies who would not quote me at all. Its like being 20 years old again. Absolutely maddening some of them.

So this years quote from 123.ie came in. Exact same circumstances apart from the 2 penalty points which have been removed now. Car is only worth 1500 or less now. So my quote should go down a little? Right?

Not on Cuckoo-Crazy Land-Insurance World. Nope instead my insurance jumped 200 quid to €550. I'm guessing its because the car is 15 years old now. Haven't had a chance yet to ring the blood sucking paracites and shout obscenities at them or find out what bullsh1t reason they have.

Could only get Chill.ie to quote me on line and they were the grand total of €890! None of the rest would quote me. So it looks like I'll be paying the €550 this year and scrapping the car next year.

The real sickener is I put 4 new wheels on it before Xmas and spent another 250 quid putting it through the NCT. Needed a few small jobs done but apart form that its 100% and going like clockwork. My Mechanic was commenting on how clean and well maintaned a car it is (Down to previous owner garaging it).

• Advertisement

Oh... and on another note......

If all those who quoted me 8/900 last year would stop contacting me this year either by mail of phone .... that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Quote from Aviva for renewal just arrived in the post,cnuts want €100 more than I paid last year (€440 fully comp).They can sing for it.Time to go insurance shopping.

Aviva was 440 for me too last year, Only BoI cheaper and all the other 100's more expensive. So i wish you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

My insurance has gone up from just under 1000 to just under 1500.

I suppose it has to do with having my girlfriend who is a learner on the policy.

Now to try and get a better quote for an 04 Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Ryath

zerks wrote: »
    Quote from Aviva for renewal just arrived in the post,cnuts want €100 more than I paid last year (€440 fully comp).They can sing for it.Time to go insurance shopping.

That increase sadly may be best you do. It actually isn't too bad compared to what some peoples renewals are. Changed to aviva for €379 last year renewal coming soon. Changed to a new car in October and had to pay an extra €80. Expect my renewal will be well over the €500 mark.

This post has been deleted.
    The whole thing is ****ed but myself and others have come across cases where it's the other way around so it's hard to blame the brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The whole car insurance industry is a complete joke. My insurance has gone up over 1 thousand euro, luckily I can afford it but many others can't, it's no wonder so many are driving without insurance and I'd expect that number to grow in future as premiums become unfeasible. Certainly needs to be a proper investigation into the who industry.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Tyson Fury wrote:
    The whole car insurance industry is a complete joke. My insurance has gone up over 1 thousand euro, luckily I can afford it but many others can't, it's no wonder so many are driving without insurance and I'd expect that number to grow in future as premiums become unfeasible. Certainly needs to be a proper investigation into the who industry.

I "think" the number of uninsured drivers has increased in the past couple of years. Probably as a result of increased premiums.
    The insurance industry are causing problems, not solving them, by the extortionate rises in premiums .

I have a car approaching 15 years old. Its in very good mechanical condition and relatively low milage but I'm dreading my quote next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

cefh17 wrote: »
    Your Age: 24
    Car type and engine: 2010 VW Jetta 1.6
    Years driving: 6
    Any claims: None
    Price and provider: Kennco, €1,025

Was originally given a quote on my old car (on a 1.9 Golf TDI 2003 gone up only from €1,100 last year to €1,125) but having changed cars in the last month this is what I'm getting, fully comp. Trying to shop around but can't seem to get anything cheaper elsewhere.. Happy enough with the quote but can never seem to make the 'shopping around' work for me!

Insurance is up on Sunday midnight, going to have to bite the bullet and go with my renewal, couldn't find a cheaper one in the end! Scared to not get fully comp but was getting TPFT for around €850 however

Advertisement