Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Your Age: 30+
    Car type and engine: Volvo V40 2L
    years driving: 15+ but only 6 count
    any claims: none
    Price and provider: Axa renewal €853
    Avivia : €890
    Liberty: €954

At this stage I'm thinking of getting a bike :(

Wife's renewal time....
    Car type and engine: 2011 Clio 1.2
    years driving: 10+
    No claims or penalty points
    Max NCD
    Price and provider: Aviva renewal €493
    Spouse included on policy. Basically same details except Male and with 2 penalty points.

Above price includes full NCD protection, Windscreen, breakdown assist etc. Previous year it was about €470.

Got loads of quotes from every insurer mentioned in this thread. Ranged from €460 to €900.
    Will stay with Aviva to avail of the L Driver offer of 6months insurance and 13 lessons for €499 which is incredible value. Did same last year for oldest son and next son turns 17 in April, so need it again.
    If I add my 19 yr old son who has full licence for 3 months to the policy it goes up to €1050.
    If I remove myself from the policy (without son either) it goes up to €560.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭chancer12

sporina wrote: »
    so renewal quote on the above is €686 - (€366 last year) - wtf?? It seems to be a trend. I spent a lot of man hours on this last year - don't wanna repeat it..

So I was with 25plus last year - female 30's 11 years NCB Toyota Yaris 01 1.2 ltr... any suggestions from anyone in the know or with similar circumstances?? thanks in advance.. I really don't have the time for endless shopping around and filling out quotes on line..

I know a lot of co's wont look at me due to the age of the car - I guess that narrows it down somewhat

I got the best price from Its4Women.ie earlier this year. An Post were also competitive, best of luck

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://gyazo.com/422b4febbb0187af522c8e9f923abf84

Why is there no price comparison website for anything here in Ireland.
    Above screenshot i took from a Dutch site where i filled in my current car's details, the address i used to live in Holland (city, highest rate) and ...boom 90 different insurances to pick from. Took all of 3 minutes.

(WA = 3rd party only, middle one is 3rd party with some extra, All Risk is fully comp)

In Holland i definitely would go the €21.50 a month route with my car as there is a big difference between 3rd party and fully com.
    Here it would save me about €2 a month.

There really is something dodgy going on here as it comes to insurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Aviva qouted me 200 euro less if i add my girlfriend as a named driver! I'm trying to understand how this systems works or makes sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Aviva qouted me 200 euro less if i add my girlfriend as a named driver! I'm trying to understand how this systems works or makes sense...

I think I read somewhere that if you add a more experienced driver to your policy then it reduces the time 'free' for you the higher risk driver to be at the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Micky 32 wrote: »

Don't think too hard it hurts and gets eben more distressing....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina wrote: »
    ok - if there a significant difference between step back and full No Claims Bonus protection? As in, say the difference in price is €60 - but if one had a claim how much would that impact on price the following year - wither step back or full protection? Apparently there is a hike in price in renewal the following year if a claim is made, even if one has full protection..

what say those who know?
    chancer12 wrote: »
    I got the best price from Its4Women.ie earlier this year. An Post were also competitive, best of luck

got the best quote so far above - didn't know An Post also did car insurance... interesting - might give them a shout thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Male
    Car: 318Ci - 2002 - 2.0
    Claims: none
    NCB: full
    License: 12 yrs

Quotes:

2015: 550
    2016: 580
    2017: 729

Also got quotes for a 2011 330D and 2009 325D, €1400 and €900 respectively. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've zero no claims bonus as a tree fell on my car in a storm.

Most insurance companies won't even quote me because of this, really frustrating.

Anyone know of companies who will atleast quote me?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Most insurance companies won't even quote me because of this, really frustrating.

That's pretty harsh tbh.

An underwriter should take a more holistic view of claims like that. Yes, by the letter of the law it was an accidental damage claim and they are within their rights to remove your bonus but something like that is completely non fault.

Have you tried speaking to your insurer and getting some direct feedback from them as to their thinking?

Might be worth a shot in the hope you get someone reasonable to review your case.

Wife's renewal time....
    Car type and engine: 2011 Clio 1.2
    years driving: 10+
    No claims or penalty points
    Max NCD
    Price and provider: Aviva renewal €493
    Spouse included on policy. Basically same details except Male and with 2 penalty points.

Above price includes full NCD protection, Windscreen, breakdown assist etc. Previous year it was about €470.

Got loads of quotes from every insurer mentioned in this thread. Ranged from €460 to €900.
    Will stay with Aviva to avail of the L Driver offer of 6months insurance and 13 lessons for €499 which is incredible value. Did same last year for oldest son and next son turns 17 in April, so need it again.
    If I add my 19 yr old son who has full licence for 3 months to the policy it goes up to €1050.
    If I remove myself from the policy (without son either) it goes up to €560.

Went to renew today and the price dropped to €434 when I queried it.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    That's pretty harsh tbh.

An underwriter should take a more holistic view of claims like that. Yes, by the letter of the law it was an accidental damage claim and they are within their rights to remove your bonus but something like that is completely non fault.

Have you tried speaking to your insurer and getting some direct feedback from them as to their thinking?

Might be worth a shot in the hope you get someone reasonable to review your case.

Is it not unlawful that behaviour of not qouting? Ireland is a great little country!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Aunts Insurance 77 yrs old - €560 and her husband 80 yrs old €760, he was expecting a bigger premium, so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Tyson Fury wrote: »

How many years NCB did u have before tree incident ?

cplwhisper wrote: »
    How many years NCB did u have before tree incident ?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Then Axa will honour at least 1yr NCB subject that your insurer will confirm 4 full years earned prior to claim.

If the claim had of been a fire or theft claim then all 4 yrs would have been honoured

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Then Axa will honour at least 1yr NCB subject that your insurer will confirm 4 full years earned prior to claim.

If the claim had of been a fire or theft claim then all 4 yrs would have been honoured

In fairness to Axa they did quote me but at €3563 I won't be going with them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zaph wrote: »
    Male
    05 Golf 1.6
    10+ years no claims
    Full License, 0 points

Last year - € 430
    Just got my renewal today - € 809

I know premiums are going up, put somebody is extracting vast quantities of yellow bodily fluids here. It's not up until the end of the month so I have plenty of time to find someone who can offer a slightly more acceptable level of gouging.

An update on this, just renewed through its4women.ie for € 520. Given the other quotes I was getting I'm taking that as a major result.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

Car type: 04 yaris 1.0l
    Years driving: 1
    Claims: None
    Full Licence also
    Price and Provider: 850e Liberty tpft with 2 named drivers 1 with full licence other with provisional. Cover includes breakdown assist, key cover, driving other cars, windscreen cover extra but I opted to get it.

I was getting quotes from 1900e to around 1100e from various other insurers! Liberty was definitely the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Car type: 04 yaris 1.0l
    Years driving: 1
    Claims: None
    Full Licence also
    Price and Provider: 850e Liberty tpft with 2 named drivers 1 with full licence other with provisional. Cover includes breakdown assist, key cover, driving other cars, windscreen cover extra but I opted to get it.

I was getting quotes from 1900e to around 1100e from various other insurers! Liberty was definitely the cheapest.

I don't find they have changed much since their Quinn days.

They can be right [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL] for making a claim apparently.

Cheapest quote isn't always best.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,878 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Under EU law one can obtain car insurance from any European state.
    Has anyone done this ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Under EU law one can obtain car insurance from any European state.
    Has anyone done this ??

Your insurance company has to be registered with mibi here.

They've a list on their site somewhere

http://www.mibi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Your Age: 26
    Car type and engine: 12 Focus 1.6 TDCi
    years driving: [9 years full irish], 2 year gap in 2013-2015 (lived abroad.)
    So only counted 1 year named driver experience 2015-2016
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: €1344 Fully Comp w/ Liberty..

Pain in the hole as I've been driving since 2008 but, have to start back on the ladder somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

Male
    11 years full license, clean
    have a commercial policy in my name for 9 years, no claims / incidents / penalties
    1st of december got a quote on a 1.0L 2006 car (perodua kelisa)... 454
    didn't buy that car.. but today, called about another car (2005 1.1L) 789
    out of curiosity, got a fresh quote on the first car... 789. same broker. wtf.

Age 46 driving since 17
    no claims
    Car and type :2017 Passat 2.0 BiTDi 240bhp

Qoute from Aviva ( with girlfriend added) 654 euro (surprised how cheap to be honest!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,878 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

arkrow wrote: »
    Your insurance company has to be registered with mibi here.

They've a list on their site somewhere

http://www.mibi.ie/

So Ireland making up it's own rules?
    EU law clearly states you can obtain can insurance in any member state of EU . It's on EU website.

So Ireland making up it's own rules?
    EU law clearly states you can obtain can insurance in any member state of EU . It's on EU website.

You can in theory do it.

Just like an Irish insurer can choose to do it for a car in another EU country.

The reality is that there will be no insurer willing to do it.

Language barrier, use and differing laws are some of the reasons why it doesn't happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Almost tempted to try and get a quote from a Dutch insurer.
    Almost. Since i am sure it wont be cheaper than what i am paying now.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Almost tempted to try and get a quote from a Dutch insurer.
    Almost. Since i am sure it wont be cheaper than what i am paying now.

Why wouldn't it be cheaper?

Are you paying a low premium here?

I keep hearing how Irish insurers are gouging but on continental Europe you can get insurance for about tree fiddy.

If its not too much hassle for you I'd love if you could try, just to see would they quote you seeing as you are (presumably) residing in RoI and to see what they would quote.

Advertisement