Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

cefh17 wrote: »
    Insurance is up on Sunday midnight, going to have to bite the bullet and go with my renewal, couldn't find a cheaper one in the end! Scared to not get fully comp but was getting TPFT for around €850 however

For the sake of the extra few quid i'd get fully comp.

You have a good car there.

If it was a 15 year old motor i'd go TPFT then but not with your current car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

KC161 wrote:
    If it was a 15 year old motor i'd go TPFT then but not with your current car.

On an old car do you think its best going for TPFT?
    I've always had full comp but wondering if its best to go TPFT on a a 14 yo car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I've always had full comp but wondering if its best to go TPFT on a a 14 yo car.

It depends what extras are included with fully comp and how much the price difference is. I have a 2003 car and ended going fully comp because of the extras like breakdown assist, glass cover and stepback cover were included.

Oddly I did see the price on some quotes increase when I selected TPFT over fully comp.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

As flyingsnail says, once there is glass cover,breakdown assist and bonus protection then i'd go for TPFT on an older car unless if it's written off you want to claim for it. but after the excess would you be able to claim much for such a car?

What is your own worth at 14 Y/O?

It depends what extras are included with fully comp and how much the price difference is. I have a 2003 car and ended going fully comp because of the extras like breakdown assist, glass cover and stepback cover were included.

Oddly I did see the price on some quotes increase when I selected TPFT over fully comp.

That happened to me as well in the early days of having fully comp, 2009/2010.

Nowadays however my daily runner is worth a few thousand so comprehensive is a must. my car is 8 years old and just passed the NCT last week for 27 months so i'll hang onto it a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

inforfun wrote: »
    Oh... and on another note......

If all those who quoted me 8/900 last year would stop contacting me this year either by mail of phone .... that would be great.

See..when u do quote online or unknownly get quotes on phone there is a box to tick or question asked 'periodically (insurer) may contact u in relation to (insurer products) thoughout next 13 months) most people say yes but have option to opt-out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    Quote from Aviva for renewal just arrived in the post,cnuts want €100 more than I paid last year (€440 fully comp).They can sing for it.Time to go insurance shopping.

Just an update,I went on Aviva's site,put in my details and got a quote for €458.

BOI: €492.

Supervalu was €551,they are underwritten by AIG so I went on their site which had my details courtesy of looking on Supervalu and I got a quote of €500.
    The sister who "doesn't have time to shop around":rolleyes: got a quote on a 2008 2L diesel Laguna for €700.My missus drives a 2L diesel and her quote came in just over €500.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Car type: 05 Rav4
    Years driving: 18
    Claims: None
    Full Licence
    Price and Provider: 880 AA via AXA with one named driver . Up 500euro from last year. Went to Allianz after another poster here with same details. Down to 530euro. Will ring back AA and get it down again but why they make me jump through hoops every bloody year is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I've a pain in me hole filling in online forms,Allianz nearly wanted to know what I had for dinner in June 1997 and after all that got a message with a phone number to ring them on for a quote.:mad:

• Advertisement

I've a pain in me hole filling in online forms,Allianz nearly wanted to know what I had for dinner in June 1997 and after all that got a message with a phone number to ring them on for a quote.:mad:

My renewal isn't due in for another 6/7 weeks.

Out of curiosity though i tried one or two places for quotes, Allianz being one of them.

Quoted 453 on a 1.6 diesel focus.

I'll come back once I get the actually quote and spend the following fortnight glued to the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Car type: 04 Focus 1.4
    Years driving: 17
    Claims: One (settled by other side 3 years ago)
    Full Licence
    Price and Provider: Was with AIG. Last year 585 fully comp, renewal 789. Have just bought comparable policy with it's4women at 550.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

A year later...

Same car, same everything, still with 3 penalty points.

€570 with AIG via AA. Quote was for €730, but a few lower quotes (AIG, Zurich, iirc) got the AA to drop the price a bit. They knocked €100 off straight away, due to rates dropping in the fortnight since the renewal letter.

Last four renewals, from Dec 2013 to Dec 2016?
    300...390...460...570.:(

curiosity wrote: »

Licence: full, 20 years

NCB: full (yet to have a claim, hope that continues!)

Car: Focus, 1.4, 2003, doing around 14,000 miles a year (and yes, I'm a bit apprehensive about what I'll be paying if I hold onto the car for another few years)

Insurance: full comp with NCB protection, just myself on the policy

Last year: €390 with Axa through AA (initial quote was €435, they dropped it to €390 when I rang to cancel). I'm AA member.

This year: €612, reduced to €460, again with Axa through AA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If it wasn't for the fact that I know everyone else does it and they will probably match in most situations, I'd love to tell them to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭steve_r

Car type: 04 Suzuki Liana
    Years driving: 2
    Claims: None
    Full Licence
    Price and Provider: Lowest is actually €862 with FBD, existing provider. Tried AA, 123.ie, Allianz, BOI and all were over €1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Age 33-male
    Car Type: 00 Nissan Almera
    No Claims, No Points.
    2015: euro407 2016: 607euro 2017: 837euro with Axa now through AA.

Anyone with a 15+ year old car get any decent quote lately? Or can anyone offer any advice on a company? Most won't quote online any that do is over my renewal. Any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Your Age: 21
    Car type and engine: 03 Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol
    years driving: First time insurance
    any claims: None
    Price and provider: Best I can get is 1266 Comprehensive from Boxymo.

Others are 2000 - 7000 TPFT!

Hate the tracking box thing but I'll have to go with them and build NCB.

Edit: coverme.ie just quoted €12871 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

inna981 wrote: »
    Your Age: 21
    Car type and engine: 03 Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol
    years driving: First time insurance
    any claims: None
    Price and provider: Best I can get is 1266 Comprehensive from Boxymo.

Others are 2000 - 7000 TPFT!

Hate the tracking box thing but I'll have to go with them and build NCB.

Edit: coverme.ie just quoted €12871 :/

Extremely cheap to be honest you done well.

Why is it so hard to get quotes for commercial insurance? Are there any that quote online?

Online quotes for vans are rare as due to prior experience where customers enter multiple occup to get lowest quote which may not be the actual job/use the van actually used for..

I had customer before Christmas as for farm insurance use for his only van ( it was the same van that he was doing courier work to the office in !! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Online quotes for vans are rare as due to prior experience where customers enter multiple occup to get lowest quote which may not be the actual job/use the van actually used for..

I had customer before Christmas as for farm insurance use for his only van ( it was the same van that he was doing courier work to the office in !! )
    As an ex courier who had hire and reward insurance,I know for a fact that I was the only owner driver in our place to have it.We had lots of gardeners and window cleaners,though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just got my renewal notice for end of Feb,
    second year with BOI.

00 reg and with 50 yrs driving and 50 % NCB

fully comprehensive

E609

In shock

WIll maybe downgrade to TPFT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just got my renewal notice for end of Feb,
    second year with BOI.

00 reg and with 50 yrs driving and 50 % NCB

fully comprehensive

E609

In shock

I think we are about the same age and mine for a 151, 2 litre diesel with, likewise, 50 years driving all no claims was 672 comprehensive , so yours seems about right.
    It's costly for sure.

Price around. It can be worth doing so every year.

If u buy comp for vehicle insurance u expect insurer to replace with genuine panels etc so older no longer produced car panels need shopping from UK thus repair cost are up so I'll pay more in premium too.

But some companies allow compressive driving-other-car extension so if u borrows friends 151 car for example,u also are comp . Have 3rd party cover then only 3rd party extension.
    Confirm same before downgrading cover

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Difference between one or the other was about €30 last year when i had a 369 quote for FC with BoI
    My quote this year was €412 FC with them and i didnt bother asking what 3rd party only would be.
    Didnt bother shopping around either as the next best quote i had last year was €454.(Aviva)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

inforfun wrote: »
    Difference between one or the other was about €30 last year when i had a 369 quote for FC with BoI
    My quote this year was €412 FC with them and i didnt bother asking what 3rd party only would be.
    Didnt bother shopping around either as the next best quote i had last year was €454.(Aviva)

You did well; was under E500 last year. Well, with the recent costs of the move, I cannot pay E600 anyways so there we are....If it had been like last year, maybe but no chance now.

CramCycle wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the fact that I know everyone else does it and they will probably match in most situations, I'd love to tell them to shove it.

The AA rang me back,went through the details I had online and viola the quote came down from €562 to €432- €8 cheaper than last year and still through Aviva who I'm with at the moment.
    I think €432 is as low as I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JockESpollix

Male
    Network Admin

10 years NCB (not even a scratch in a car park)
    No points
    05 Celica GTS 190hp (with declared engine/suspension and brake mods)

2015/16
    €620 with Liberty

2016/17
    €790 with Zenith through Chill

2017/18
    Chill wanted €1400
    Aviva wanted €1830
    Axa wanted €2404
    Asgard wanted €3113 (that's comedy gold).

Got onto AA, added my Girlfriend and took AA membership.
    €710 including full AA membership for any car I'm driving or a passenger in.

€80 cheaper than last year and AA membership thrown in.
    Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

Male
    Network Admin

10 years NCB (not even a scratch in a car park)
    No points
    05 Celica GTS 190hp (with declared engine/suspension and brake mods)

2015/16
    €620 with Liberty

2016/17
    €790 with Zenith through Chill

2017/18
    Chill wanted €1400
    Aviva wanted €1830
    Axa wanted €2404
    Asgard wanted €3113 (that's comedy gold).

Got onto AA, added my Girlfriend and took AA membership.
    €710 including full AA membership for any car I'm driving or a passenger in.

€80 cheaper than last year and AA membership thrown in.
    Quality.

i changed to the AA this year - got a good quote - but since the quote was agreed there has been a lot of communication errors on their part - they have straightened things out - (so far - waiting on doc's to arrive in post - will check them throughly).. but I hope this is not a sign of things to come with them..

I have been with the AA for travel for years - have had to make 2 claims - no probs with them...

But its not been a good experience with the AA motor so far.. apart from the price.. lots of hassle sorting stuff out - too many hours spent on the phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JockESpollix

sporina wrote: »
    lots of hassle sorting stuff out - too many hours spent on the phone!

I got the quote, talked to them, gave them my details, the money left my account.
    What did you need to sort out? Were you missing paperwork on your end?

Advertisement