Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Autosport wrote: »
    So I ended up getting a policy with Avivia through the AA, I rang them and I managed to get a better quote with them so I'm insured for another year but Axa didn't want my custom anymore :(

I went with the AA also,underwritten by Aviva and about €100 cheaper than Aviva quoted me to renew.
    When you are happy with paying €80 more than you did 2 years ago it's a sad sign.€432 was the best I could get anywhere,just waiting for the paperwork to arrive.
    The missus paid €513 for a 2007 2l diesel suv with 123.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

2004 Corolla 1.4 hatchback;
    35 year old male;
    Full 10 year NCB and full Irish license held since September 2001;
    2 penalty points for speeding;
    No claims; convictions or medical conditions;
    €445 full comprehensive cover with paylessdirect.ie

It is €70 cheaper at that price in account of me naming my girlfriend on the policy (traditionally it would have cost you to name someone on a policy in my experience but then again motor insurance is gone bananas in more ways than one).

Just by comparison it was €530 last year with a different provider and the exact same particulars apart from did not have anyone else named on the policy. The cover was very similar too if not the exact same....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

cover with paylessdirect.ie

Never came across them before...not even going through 7 pages of google results...

arkrow wrote: »
    Never came across them before...not even going through 7 pages of google results...

http://paylessdirect.ie/cms/index.php?page=car-insurance-quick-quote

There you go arklow.

They also have a full one page advertisement in my golden pages being the 06 area.

They seem to be what I'd consider a proper broker dealing with many insurance companies as their online quote chucked back 5 different quotes for 5 different companies. As opposed to the many firms that call themselves brokers but I'd consider tied agents as they appear to deal with only one company.

Also to note the best online quote I was chucked back from them was €55 more than the quote I got over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Age 33-male Car Type: 00 Nissan Almera No Claims, No Points. 2015: euro407 2016: 607euro 2017: 837euro with Axa now through AA.

Anyone with a 15+ year old car get any decent quote lately? Or can anyone offer any advice on a company? Most won't quote online any that do is over my renewal. Any help would be great.

Rang AA after no luck getting any decent quote and told them I was getting rid of my car and wouldn't be renewing at all. After much back and forth and a half hour phone call I got my nenewal for €622. So anyone struggling just keep ringing and ringing. It might work out eventually. Quote is still ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just moved back home from England, cheapest comprehensive quote I can find on my imported 2009 Kia Rio is about €1600, due to a fraudulent whiplash claim my stupid insurer paid out on from 3 years ago. :(

29 year old female, licenced since 2011, AXA told me today my 7 years continuous no claims named driver experience counts for nothing due to the UK claim on my own policy in 2014. I've also been on secondment with work in Asia for 6 months last year, during which time I gave up my car, so have only the 1 year no claims.

I spent about 3 hours tonight going through about 15 websites and comparison companies, man this is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Managed to finally get my quote down to something resembling reasonable (relatively anyway) through Allianz, ended up at €574 fully comp incl. their breakdown cover & bonus protection

Bizarre to think 2 years ago I paid €306 for essentially the same policy & this time around had the vast majority of the usual suspects quote me over €1k , one even quoted me €1700... dreading to see whats going to happen next year, I can fully understand why many now take the chance of driving uninsured, its a complete rip off & seriously needs looking into.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

DvB wrote: »
    Managed to finally get my quote down to something resembling reasonable (relatively anyway) through Allianz, ended up at €574 fully comp incl. their breakdown cover & bonus protection

Bizarre to think 2 years ago I paid €306 for essentially the same policy & this time around had the vast majority of the usual suspects quote me over €1k , one even quoted me €1700... dreading to see whats going to happen next year, I can fully understand why many now take the chance of driving uninsured, its a complete rip off & seriously needs looking into.

Bizarre? In three years I went from 540 to 700 to ~960, same car (Alfa 159 1.9 petrol), no claims, more NCB, no penalty points; And those are the lowest possible figures - last October most companies flat out refused to quote me, and some came up with ~2000 euro premiums.

If anything, this thread makes a big case for the idea that premium quotes are dished out more or less randomly, hoping that people would just pay up and shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DvB

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Bizarre? In three years I went from 540 to 700 to ~960, same car (Alfa 159 1.9 petrol), no claims, more NCB, no penalty points; And those are the lowest possible figures - last October most companies flat out refused to quote me, and some came up with ~2000 euro premiums.

If anything, this thread makes a big case for the idea that premium quotes are dished out more or less randomly, hoping that people would just pay up and shut up.

I find it bizarre, for the same reasons as your own... nothings changed, except i've driven an additional 2 years with no claims, longer NCB and no penalty points yet I've been quoted up to 6 times the cost... bizarre or rip off, whatever you prefer really.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sure I went from a 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX 2 litre turbo with 215BHP to a 2 litre 150 BHP and they want €130 extra. But it is older as it is a 1998 but still I do not see their logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kalimah

2001 1.6 Ford Focus _ NCT etc
    Male (hubby) aged 60 - retired
    No claims, no points, full NCB
    Just got the renewal this morning €719 from 123.ie
    Double last years.

Edit - just got a quote for him using my car reg - 2007 Focus same spec and it was €463.
    Wouldn't mind but the 01 Focus is minded like a baby and better looked after than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The older model is more freq modified without declaration thus insurers will load accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Age 26
    NCB 8 yrs
    Full Irish 9 years
    Car 05 Octavia 1.9 TDI Ambiente

Renewal of 1045€ TPFT cheapest I can get.

Thinking of a switch to girlfriends 1.0L 161 Polo...700€ fully comprehensive.

Reason? "Oh, well the Octavia had a bigger engine you see..."

Yeah? It only has 35 more BHP you shower of morons Allianz!!!!

Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rolan4

get my yesterday, last year was 980 this 1680 for same car 11 insignia ecoflex 6 years NCB no points Full Eu licence car kept in garage WTF?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Which country is that EU license?

my Latvia

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Rolan4 wrote: »
    my Latvia

Try quotes with Irish license. Probably will save you quite a bit
    Then change your drivers license for an Irish one.
    Your age might play a part too but with 6 years NCB you should be at least 24.
    Your 980 last year was already day light robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Male.
    NCB: None.
    License: Full (Just received).

So I am getting quotes on general 1.2/1.4 cars for anywhere from 2800-4000.

Can anyone in the know tell me why it is that the more named drivers I add to my policy (Up to 3 I find), the more the premium is reduced!? Seems mad!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Male.
    NCB: None.
    License: Full (Just received).

So I am getting quotes on general 1.2/1.4 cars for anywhere from 2800-4000.

Can anyone in the know tell me why it is that the more named drivers I add to my policy (Up to 3 I find), the more the premium is reduced!? Seems mad!?

The general idea is that named drivers mean you are using the car less, therefore a lower risk of YOU crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

givyjoe wrote: »
    The general idea is that named drivers mean you are using the car less, therefore a lower risk of YOU crashing.

That is what I was expecting but in reality that is false, unless the policy states that named drivers must drive for X time. Great for me though :D:D

• Advertisement

thx Already did exchange today it will take about 6 weeks,hope my insurance will be reduced by the way i am 32 , the price I get it just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

That is what I was expecting but in reality that is false, unless the policy states that named drivers must drive for X time. Great for me though :D:D
    Yep, makes absolutely no sense, you could add your parents and your grand parents as named drives even though they would never drive the car... mad indeed

Yep, makes absolutely no sense, you could add your parents and your grand parents as named drives even though they would never drive the car... mad indeed

Do they have to be alive :D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Do they have to be alive :D ?
    perfect place for the "don't ask, don't tell" policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Passed my test in January; was a named driver since August 2016 but taking out my own policy in March as my mum is getting a new car and giving her old one to me. Got quoted around 1500-1750 from AXA which I thought to be quite good considering I'm 23 and only driving a few months, but would adding my dad or mum to the policy as named drivers put the policy down by a bit? Sorry, completely new to the insurance antics. Also, any other insurers out there that are well known to be a bit more reasonable? Getting quotes from AA and Aviva for crazy money.

I really wouldn't agree with that logic. If anything I would say there is an overall higher risk of an accident if there is more people driving the same car. Remember the same insurance company will have to make a payout if any of the named drivers have an accident with the car. Not too long ago it would have generally cost more to name someone on a policy, probably still is the case with some providers............ go figure.

If I had to hazard a guess I would think the logic is that the named driver might be more inclined to get a quote from the same company come their renewal time, brings in more new business.

I really wouldn't agree with that logic. If anything I would say there is an overall higher risk of an accident if there is more people driving the same car. Remember the same insurance company will have to make a payout if any of the named drivers have an accident with the car. Not too long ago it would have generally cost more to name someone on a policy, probably still is the case with some providers............ go figure.

If I had to hazard a guess I would think the logic is that the named driver might be more inclined to get a quote from the same company come their renewal time, brings in more new business.

You might not agree with it, but that's the reason. Ridiculous, but there you go. The idea is that two people cant drive the car at once. So if the second person is a lower perceived risk, the overall premium will therefore be cheaper because the risk of accident is lower.

On a name driver costing more, usually this is where named drivers were someones less experienced son, or daughter. Therefore they were a greater insurance risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Renewal time

here we go

Company: Aviva
    Existing policy for renewal
    Car: 09 Mazda 6 estate 2.2 185BHP diesel
    Value: Say 8000?
    Price quoted €910
    Included: Full NCG protection, 25% multicar discount, 50% 5 years NCB bonus and added partner to policy. That is up from €410 last year!! Rang them wouldn't do better on price

I actually have 9 years full license and 9years NCB and I am 26

Rang Liberty, and they got pretty much like for like for €645.

So obviously it is a no brainier to ring around, I went to 123.ie and quote devil etc etc, but they were all around €950. Then Bam, did a random quote on liberty, got a callback from a guy called John and he said if I had a parent I could add it might bring it down. It did, hence the €645.13 quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

All continent Eu licences are more than Irish licences for all insurance companies but a rare few.

Untraceable penalty points are main loss of revenue for insurers thus It gets all drivers to change so to eliviate the risk.

Rates for IRL licence policies are up min 25% on the premium you paid last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

cplwhisper wrote: »
    All continent Eu licences are more than Irish licences for all insurance companies but a rare few.

Untraceable penalty points are main loss of revenue for insurers thus It gets all drivers to change so to eliviate the risk.

Rates for IRL licence policies are up min 25% on the premium you paid last year

I was actually told by a friend in an insurance company that under EU law you cannot charge more for a premium based on the country where the license was issued.

So Insurance companies cannot charge more,

A way around this is they offer discounts for penalty free driving. Heavy discounts.

So when you don't have an irish license, you don't have this system in place, therefore, all none IE licenses don't get the penalty free driving discount

Makes sense to me and very plausible

Advertisement