Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

py2006 wrote: »
    Jaysus. You really are a partay pooper! Fair play!

Have you done a lot of these type of tests before?

I reckon though I fubbed up last weeks 1a test though.:confused::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I reckon though I fubbed up last weeks 1a test though.:confused::mad::(

Ah I doubt it. Besides sounds like you did very well in this test so you should be a certainty for next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Monife wrote: »
    They really are. Did your report at the end say which questions you got wrong? Mine only said I got X out of 30 wrong and didn't tell me where I went wrong, so much for practising if you don't know where you went wrong!

Ya got that as well for report at the end of SHL practice test. Only showing the number of questions got correct and wrong.

Did other practice ones and sample ones online some very hard and others not too bad. You probably have to pass so many questions to get through speed and accuracy be important. Its handy if they can feedback the answers after completing tests and see where you went right/wrong.

For example a numerical one I did you had to get 8 correct out of so many was 30 qs which I thought was odd as I got exactly that and the verbal you had to get 29 correct out of what it was can't remember now but might have been out of 56 qs. My result was 27 missed by two! :( Usually do well in the verbal and only practice verbal qs nearer the time whereas the numerical be my weak point. I'd have to practice over and over for a few days.

Without timed limit I do a bit better but the timer makes trying to answer the numerical qs harder when figuring out what formulas to use and correct figures/answers for the questions. Just even how to answer them you are under pressure. You either good at them or not!? I find i'd do better in them if working with figures a lot more often say in college/work.

I was going to do the actual tests today and get them out of the way but maybe give more time to prepare. I see how the evening goes and prep a bit more and see then if I do it by tonight or wait till the weekend. Internet glitchy earlier so wasn't sure if I'd do tests and hang on a bit.

Best of luck with tests everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mrsec

After the tests are done can we just log out or do we need to change email address or anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Micsween12

Is the official test as difficult as the shl preparation test??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

"You must complete the Verbal test to release the Numerical test thereafter"

Does that mean I can do one test first (verbal) and then do the numerical at a later date?

I was thinking of doing the verbal tomorrow morning and then the numerical Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Monife wrote: »
    From the information booklet.....

Essential Requirements for Executive Officer:
    Candidates must, on or before 8th January, 2015

have obtained a recognised degree or hold a qualification in that in the opinion of the Public   Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard;

or

(ii)  have obtained in the Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of grade D at Ordinary (or Pass) level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C in at least five subjects at Higher (or Honours) level papers;

or

hold a qualification, that in the opinion of the Public Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard to the Leaving Certificate (this will only be determined during the selection process or if a candidate comes under consideration for a position);
     or
              have passed the first year examination of a course leading to a recognised degree;

or
    (vi)               be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years service and have obtained at least five subjects in the Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C at higher level, the others should be a minimum Grade D at ordinary level.  Or have passed an examination(s) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard of the Leaving Certificate.

You can still apply for the open competition but if you have less than two years' service, you cannot apply for the interdepartmental competition.

I know this is irrelevant now but where does it say - (to be considered for internal comp?) - Ergo if you have a degree (vi) does not apply.. I didn't see anywhere where it states for external you need x and internal you need y.. I am suggesting once you,re in - any of the above could see you fit to take part in internal comp...No?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Completed test there.

Got it all completed in the time. Thought maths wasn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Gickyk wrote: »
    I know this is irrelevant now but where does it say - (to be considered for internal comp?) - Ergo if you have a degree (vi) does not apply.. I didn't see anywhere where it states for external you need x and internal you need y.. I am suggesting once you,re in - any of the above could see you fit to take part in internal comp...No?

There's a circular that states you cannot apply for interdepartmental unless you have 2 years service, regardless of educational qualifications. It was sent separately by our HR dept when the competition first opened. Can only apply for the open competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 T1986

Gickyk wrote: »

(vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years service and have obtained at least five subjects in the Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C at higher level, the others should be a minimum Grade D at ordinary level. Or have passed an examination(s) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard of the Leaving Certificate.

You can still apply for the open competition but if you have less than two years' service, you cannot apply for the interdepartmental competition.

It clearly says it here that you cannot apply for internal comp if you have less than two years' service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

T1986 wrote: »
    (vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years service and have obtained at least five subjects in the Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C at higher level, the others should be a minimum Grade D at ordinary level. Or have passed an examination(s) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard of the Leaving Certificate.

It clearly says it here that you cannot apply for internal comp if you have less than two years' service.

I actually wrote that bit in bold... But it is true. The two years' service requirement is for civil servants who do not meet the educational requirements above and who want to also apply for the interdepartmental panel.

From the application form:
    Eligible candidates NOT currently working in the Civil Service may apply for the
    Open position.
    Eligible candidates working in the Civil Service may apply for
    the Open and Interdepartmental positions.

The key word here is "eligible" - The eligibility criteria is stated above and it is two years' service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

just did both verbal and numberical....practice tests went really well (all right in both) and apart from a mistake that i know i made in the numerical I think they went much better than i had thought they would after doing the sample tests they sent us last week.

Def jump up from the CO ones from last year though. Will be interested to see how I do now that I think I did well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

just did both verbal and numberical....practice tests went really well (all right in both) and apart from a mistake that i know i made in the numerical I think they went much better than i had thought they would after doing the sample tests they sent us last week.

Def jump up from the CO ones from last year though. Will be interested to see how I do now that I think I did well!!

show off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

did you do the 30 practice questions or just the 8 before the test. Getting nowhere near the 30 right myself:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Completed test there.

Got it all completed in the time. Thought maths wasn't too bad

Was the actual test easier than the practice test?

I found that the test was miles easier than the practice SHL test for the last EO comp.

carnie wrote: »
    Was the actual test easier than the practice test?

I found that the test was miles easier than the practice SHL test for the last EO comp.

Thought the maths was easier alright.

Had my Scientific Calculator from college too which helped.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi everyone. Please avoid providing specific examples and answers, etc. on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Hi everyone. Please avoid providing specific examples and answers, etc. on this thread.

Any examples so far have been from the sample tests but thanks for the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Thought the maths was easier alright.

Had my Scientific Calculator from college too which helped.

Do you reckon it helps? The missus has one I might just use hers

carnie wrote: »
    Do you reckon it helps? The missus has one I might just use hers

Yeah but obliviously familiarize yourself with it before the exam ha

casio fx85gt plus is what I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

doc11 wrote: »
    did you do the 30 practice questions or just the 8 before the test. Getting nowhere near the 30 right myself:pac:

The 8! The 30 were a disaster and much more difficult than anything that came up in the real thing

Yeah don't bother with the 30 they'll only get you annoyed.

Try and master the 8 before the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did the test. Verbal was fine. Maths was tougher than expected.

Anyone know what the next stage is after this assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

The 8! The 30 were a disaster and much more difficult than anything that came up in the real thing

Where are the "8"? can you log on, do the 8, then log out and come back and do the actual test later?...............thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

no

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

I was under the impression u can practice the 8 first n go back n do the actual test later ??

The next stage will be supervised tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Does anyone know what the pass mark is? I found the test fine but I messed up as I was distracted!

• Advertisement

greenb wrote: »
    Where are the "8"? can you log on, do the 8, then log out and come back and do the actual test later?...............thanks.

U can do the practice and then go back in later and do the test cause I've just done it

Advertisement