Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV - gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Thargor wrote: »
    Well then you estimate wrong or do you think all the movie and music channels, Challenge, even Sky News recently are giving up 99% of their audiences on non-freesat boxes every time they move?

i'd say all those stations have given up at least 99% of irish tv's demographic .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It will keep going for a few days anyway. Arqiva who do the play out for them have a view on these things that if we keep them on air they might get a backer and will pay them!

Drove past the office in Westport last week and not a car in sight all the lights off and joked to the wife about getting a job there to go home and see the news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Irish TV no longer BARB reporting

http://www.overnights.tv/public/content/news.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Excuse my ignorance, but what is BARB?

Down County Matters has just started on it. How old that episode is, I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

last report was in nov

1 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (MON 2202) 3 3
    2 THE FOSTER & ALLEN SHOW (2) (MON 1959) * -1
    3 THE COUNTRY HOUR (1) (MON 2102) * -1
    4 DUBLIN COUNTY MATTERS (11) (MON 1759) * -1
    5 PLAY IT BY EAR (1) (MON 2302) * -1
    6 BALLYBRADDAN (1) (MON 1218) * -1
    7 ROSCOMMON COUNTY MATTERS (11) (MON 1829) * -1
    8 CLARE COUNTY MATTERS (11) (MON 1502) * -1
    9 KILKENNY COUNTY MATTERS (11) (MON 1532) * -1
    10 CAVAN COUNTY MATTERS (11) (MON 2403) * -1

-1,000!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

So how long more will it be playing ?

Down County Matters has just started on it. How old that episode is, I do not know.

Broadcasters Audience Research Board (UK's TV Audience Measurement Ireland(TAMI)) tv audience Research

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Saw one episode-Kerry county matters- that was over a year old. So they're running repeats over and over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

Antenna wrote: »
    A number of issues:

(1) Irish Newspapers/guide not printing the schedules for Irish TV even though they print schedules for low viewership UK channels. Again anyone know why?
    Looking for payment?
    The type of target audience mainly rely on newspaper schedules (or perhaps RTE guide) to plan their TV viewing rather than online listings or EPG.

(2) not on cable TV providers, a particular issue in Dublin, also meaning the channel not visible to perhaps possible national advertisers.
    Again were UPC looking for a large payment to carry the channel?

(3) a number of occasions during its life when change of satellite transponder resulted in retuning being needed of FTA satellite boxes for this and a few other smaller satellite broadcasters. The Saorview approved/satellite Combo boxes with a mimic Freesat mode would not automatically retune either. Retuning these things is beyond the grasp of most elderly people, and would probably live without the channel if they lost it rather than pay an installer to visit (or had a family member who could retune for them). Only if BBC etc reception was lost might they get an installer out.

I'm not saying the above issues regarding distribution were the only challenges to Irish TV, but they were certainly significant contributory issues. Regarding programming it didn't make sense trying to do a County Matters show for every single county (regardless of size/population). Some of the smaller neighbouring counties could easily have been grouped together (say Kilkenny and Carlow, as is the case with local radio)

They didn't even update the schedule on their own website, therefore no newspaper/guide could publish them.
    At one point (well before they went downhill) I checked their schedule on the website and it was 2 weeks out of date...

The retuning issue happens often with FTA services because the service/transponder allocations are determined by Sky and Arqiva etc.
    All they really care about are the Sky boxes and service changes are updated automatically on those. I've seen it happen many times with music channels disappearing, once an adult channel popped up where another channel used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

afatbollix wrote: »
    It will keep going for a few days anyway. Arqiva who do the play out for them have a view on these things that if we keep them on air they might get a backer and will pay them!

Drove past the office in Westport last week and not a car in sight all the lights off and joked to the wife about getting a job there to go home and see the news reports.

Irish TV is done, and they are past the point of getting new investors. Arqiva will pull the plug when the contract expires. Nothing in this industry gets done for free.
    A TV channel like this needs expensive resources; a dedicated playout server, broadcast MPEG 2 encoder, management and scheduling system plus a technician to monitor it 24x7. And multiply that by 2 because there are backups of everything. All of which they could use for something else.

Whether Arqiva is providing the web stream for them, I don't know. They could be receiving if off air and streaming it that way, same for Eir TV.

It could keep going for days, weeks, months. Whatever they have paid up until.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They must have paid some money owed to Blacknight for their website hosting as it's back online in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

JDxtra wrote: »
    They must have paid some money owed to Blacknight for their website hosting as it's back online in recent days.
    And it's interesting to see that the broadcast stream is running again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jrmb wrote: »
    And it's interesting to see that the broadcast stream is running again

Did it stop broadcasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Did it stop broadcasting?
    As far as I know it was playing out on Sky, but not being updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

http://www.barb.co.uk/about-us/how-we-do-what-we-do/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jrmb wrote: »
    As far as I know it was playing out on Sky, but not being updated.

It has been broadcasting continuously as far as I am aware, which is why I asked if there was a break in the broadcasting.

I dunno about Sky, but it is FTA, and I have not noticed a break. (not that I watch it very often)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There was no web site (and hence no live stream) for a number of weeks. Playout on satellite continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Still broadcasting on Sky channel 191.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clonsk

There must be hopes that a 'wind-up' of Irishtv may attract new investors to a new aligned TV company? Plenty of repeats of programming already recorded still showing on Sky platform! Silence from remaining directors! Will be more surprised if no attempt is made to launch in some format or guise!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why? Who is watching?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Irishtv had a very 'niche' market. It's aims were to associate with a diaspora market. Needed more work and marketing to be a finished product. Yes, including more viewers. Cannot knock the idea though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Why? Who is watching?

I'd say a lot of over 60s in ireland were regular viewers.

in fact irish tv was probably more popular , in ireland than boards.

donegal. wrote: »

Aunt: At least they are trying something but perhaps they should think of something else

Mam: reminds me of City channel particularly the ads

Both over 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Let's not get carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I would wager the vast majority of over 60s in Ireland were entirely unaware of the existence of this channel.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'm not even near 60, but I always got confused as to which channel it was-I used to skip past it because of some country channel, and that was only because of one show my mum likes.

The rest of the time-God, I avoided it like the plague. Probably watched two programs in the entirety of the channels life, and one was just badly shot, with a camera where the white balance wasn't set properly.

It all had this 'late 80s, early 90s vibe about it'-like the old kids shows where they went out and met the public, but viewed through a 2000's lense.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

I wonder with irish tv now gone will this put pressure on the government or RTE to try and come up with some sort of solution to try and provide an international service for irish people living outside this country?

RTE is not there to satisfy the needs of those living outside Ireland, and in fact has come under criticism for spending ANY money on it's online presence for years now from certain quarters. Sounds crazy, but it's a fact, and reasons given for this criticism were that the internet is only for people abroad. Just shows the lack of understanding some people and their departments have of how more and more people get their 'TV', right?

g

I would wager the vast majority of over 60s in Ireland were entirely unaware of the existence of this channel.

The biggest problem the IRISHTV channel seemed to have is simply the lack of ability to market the channel to any audience category. Most interest was generated by 'word of mouth' and local knowledge that their area would be featured. The saorview scenario did not help. Programmes were improving. However when looking for finance and dependant on one investor, you can understand the grief of Mr Griffin, when an event such as the Ploughing championship is a significant cost rather than bolstered by exhibitors advertisements. Would have wiser to advertise TV schdules on national newspapers or even local newspapers on a regular basis than visit Ploughing championship. Would have interested advertisers if channel was at least looking for market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Bizzarely even though the channel is no longer broadcasting it still has an LCN on the Freesat EPG :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Foster and Allens Christmas show was on a few days ago ...

Advertisement