Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV - gone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

afatbollix wrote: »
    Play out was done near London by a company called Arqiva. They run 350 channels from one room so it doesn't cost anything to play out this channel. I got to visit it before ll.

out of interest how is the programming got to them to "play" ?
    Is it on tape disc hard drive or solid state storage. Do they get it on physical media or fibre or is it bounced off another satellite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

FTP mostly these days. Its cheap and easy. But they did have a tape ingest room, Most of the channels they do are across Europe so a English, French, Spannish and German all showing the same program at the same time but different languages. So they spent most of the time making sure that was ok. They have a huge archive system so nothing is deleted and its an automated process once a program is in a schedule it is transferred to the play out server and back up server. They try to run 7 days ahead so ads and programs should of been in 7 days before playout.

For the few lives they did it was 2 people to run the channel one transmission op and a producer calling the shots, This was taken out of the 350 channel room to a small room in the corner for the live and once finished with the live it was sent back to the play out centre.

https://www.arqiva.com/case-studies/european-playout-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Business name and assets have been sold to the owner of the UK based Irish Post newspaper.

The Sky slot to be sold off separately.

http://iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4290248&tpl=archnews&force=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I wonder when we will see changes take place if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

13 pages of posts, over three+ months, and Irish TV is still broadcasting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

13 pages of posts, over three+ months, and Irish TV is still broadcasting. :D

'Broadcasting' a loop of continuous repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Finally removed from eirVision channel 191 - now displays "This channel is no longer available".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it still on Freesat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Still on Freesat 163.

Still on Sky 191.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Who ever is looking after the playout? - someone tell them to ditch playout of Christmas (2015) programmes!

The other day came across a Foster and Allan Christmas song being played out on some Xmas special and its nearly March!

Playing out old editions of 'Countymatters' etc is one thing (and you might see something interesting that you didn't see when first broadcast) but who in their right minds wants to be hearing about Xmas in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They don't care - it's only still on to keep the Sky channel number active so they can then sell it.

Even with the new owners surely the epg slot will be 191 if they decide to stay on Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Even with the new owners surely the epg slot will be 191 if they decide to stay on Sky?

New owners didn't buy the sky broadcasting rights - these are being sold separately.

The new owners are using it as an online only station.

Delacent wrote: »
    New owners didn't buy the sky broadcasting rights - these are being sold separately.

Ah right I thought the epg slot was included in the buy out. Ah well maybe some decent channel will take over the slot.

Delacent wrote: »

Ah right I thought the epg slot was included in the buy out. Ah well maybe some decent channel will take over the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Information TV own channel 191 on sky.

Irish TV rented it. Arqiva will keep going until they stop getting schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Irish TV was removed from Freesat today (163)

Irish TV was removed from Freesat today (163)

But still broadcasting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The proposed acquisition by The Color Company (TM) Limited (trading as The Irish Post) of certain assets of Irish TV has been cleared by the CCPC.
    http://www.ccpc.ie/enforcement/mergers/merger-notices/m17009-irish-postirish-tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

And removed by Sky (191) yesterday

And removed by Sky (191) yesterday

Yep, finally gone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Yep, finally gone. :)

Forever? Thought this station was a huge success, what happened?

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Forever? Thought this station was a huge success, what happened?
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

My father would be their ideal target market and he only flipped over to it during adbreaks, the only reason he had it was because I retuned it for him on his satbox about 7 times. All of his friends and neighbours who would also be their target market were unaware of its existence.

The decision not to get it onto Saorview was fatal, the total lack of any advertising for the brand was also suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Thargor wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

My father would be their ideal target market and he only flipped over to it during adbreaks, the only reason he had it was because I retuned it for him on his satbox about 7 times. All of his friends and neighbours who would also be their target market were unaware of its existence.

The decision not to get it onto Saorview was fatal, the total lack of any advertising for the brand was also suicide.
    My mother loved it, asked me to find out the story?
    Read stuff few years back about how successful it was????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Qprmeath wrote: »
    My mother loved it, asked me to find out the story?
    Read stuff few years back about how successful it was????

Irish tv were never successful but they were very found of putting out fake news about their own success... truth is they were only on air because a millionaire was bankrolling them, when he decided to withdraw support before Christmas the whole thing went tits up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Digital Spy forums reporting that the Irish Post have secured a new broadcasting licence for Irish TV from Ofcom?

Is there still something broadcasting in the slot? I deleted it a while ago because I thought it was gone.

Digital Spy forums reporting that the Irish Post have secured a new broadcasting licence for Irish TV from Ofcom?
    Yes I saw that. It's down as irish tv uk on the Ofcom monthly update list. Could we see a return I of irish tv . Interesting times ahead I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Interesting times ahead I think.

Let's not get carried away:rolleyes:

Advertisement