Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV - gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

IWhat use does a county council have for TV advertising anyway?

Great question. I asked myself when I saw the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

PacMan wrote: »
    Great question. I asked myself when I saw the ad.
    Just shows how much desperate they are for revenue. Sad times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Lol a TV channels fault that someone wants to advertise on them. I would of charged them twice if they wanted a TV ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

They could do what the Religious Stations do and have a fundraiser to support the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Other reasons for its difficulties included the fact it was not in a position to fund RTÉ’s security requirements for accessing the Saorview platform. The Brexit decision has affected advertising revenue, it added.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/interim-examiner-appointed-to-irish-tv-1.2863080

told ye so!

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Reading that article it seems to me basically they started to run before they could walk as far as ambitions and profit were concerned.Also it's the same old story the staff are the casualties with job losses and redundancies. I wonder where is the money going to come from for redundancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/irish-tv-secures-court-protection-after-unexpected-funding-shortfall-35205126.html

A TELEVISION company in Co Mayo employing 30 people has obtained High Court protection after an unexpected funding shortfall and liabilities over assets of €8.7m.
    Telifis Mhaigh Eo Teoranta, trading as "Irish TV", operates from Westport Industrial Park in Co Mayo and broadcasts a 24-hour channel on Sky, Eir and free-to-air services as well as an on-line video on demand service.
    When established in March 2011, it objects included to promote Mayo as a centre of Irish and Celtic culture and also to promote the Irish language.

It is a subsidiary of Eochair Media Holdings Ltd (EMHL) which, it said in its petition seeking court protection, has "encountered an unexpected and significant funding shortfall."
    Co-founder and chief executive, Piaras O'Reilly, and managing director, Mairead O'Reilly, together own 51 per cent of EMHL while John Griffin has the other major shareholding (41 per cent). Mr Griffin resigned as a director of both EMHL and Telifis Maigh Eo on October 27 last.

In its petition seeking court protection, Irish TV said it has been left with an immediate operational cash flow shortfall after the main funder withdrew support in late October.
    This followed four years of losses and it now has net liabilities of €8.7m.

Other reasons for its difficulties included the fact it was not in a position to fund RTE's security requirements for accessing the Saorview platform. The Brexit decision has affected advertising revenue, it says.
    An independent expert's report has found the deficiency between assets and liabilities has been satisfactorily accounted for and is due to the accumulated losses of the last four years.

The report says however that if a number of steps are taken it has a reasonable prospect of survival. These include thre closure of offices in New York, London, Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry, the implementation of a redundancy programme for certain employees, and reduced travel costs and expenses across all depatments.
    Ms Justice Marie Baker was satisfied to appoint Michael McAteer as interim examiner.
    Online Editors

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The report says however that if a number of steps are taken it has a reasonable prospect of survival.
    Maybe it will survive in some form.
    I hope so, although I very rarely access it myself.

The report says however that if a number of steps are taken it has a reasonable prospect of survival.

I wonder when we will see the first chages if any and what kind of change will take place. Will start cutting the schedule back to partime hours and then start cutting back on staff ?

• Advertisement

According to journal.ie irish tv has sought court protection from it's creditors until it finds another backer. It will continue to broadcast for the moment.

If Irish TV is to survive it needs to diversify its programming.

It needs to let go of the pretence of 24hour tv ... it's not true or realistic

If it wants to have a monthly programme for every county it needs to have a weekly/daily type nationwide show that takes highlights from the county shows.

It needs to move away from the twee, it needs news and current affairs. And when it does do twee it needs to take a leaf out TG4 re country and western e.g. glor tire.

It needs to be able to see a good presenter.

It will need to have 2 different feeds one for Ireland and one for an international audience. The Irish schedule needs to include international programmes even if they are just classic TV from Irish and international broadcasters, the international feed needs to include BBC NI, RTÉ, tv3, utv and TG4 news.

That's a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

They have no chance of survival.

Losses of 8.2m in 4 years are crazy.

Offices in New York, London, Dublin, Kerry just crazy too.

Brexit affecting advertising - me arse.

Easy to play with other people's money. Your man griffin was very foolish.

Walter2016 wrote: »

Excatly Brexit is a great excuse. The type of advertising was always tacky as was most of I'ts content from day one so using Brexit as an excuse for loss of advertising is totally unacceptable especially when they incurred big losses in the last 4 years and Brexit wasn't even a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I wonder when we will see the first chages if any and what kind of change will take place. Will start cutting the schedule back to partime hours and then start cutting back on staff ?

Costs the same to run 24 hours as it would for 8 hours. So no point in pulling back hours of operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i'd never watched the station before but i watched "donegal matters" . I was surprised , quality was way higher than i expected.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Costs the same to run 24 hours as it would for 8 hours. So no point in pulling back hours of operation.
    According to reports they have stopped production on some programming so it looks like repeats after repeats to fill 24 hours.I still think cut back the hours and the repeats and try and start all over again. Part time might be the way to go.

According to reports they have stopped production on some programming so it looks like repeats after repeats to fill 24 hours.I still think cut back the hours and the repeats and try and start all over again. Part time might be the way to go.

They need to have a 3 hour schedule that they can repeat. 7pm to 10pm being the focus. repeat Monday's schedule at 10 on Tuesday, Sunday's from 4 to 7 and so on.

Elmo wrote: »
    They need to have a 3 hour schedule that they can repeat. 7pm to 10pm being the focus. repeat Monday's schedule at 10 on Tuesday, Sunday's from 4 to 7 and so on.
    I think maybe putting any programmes outside the county matters block of programmes should be put in the prime time slot stick in one or two county matters episodes each week night at a time where people are settleing down to watch tv and they might have a chance of grapping some of the prime time audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

donegal. wrote:
    i'd never watched the station before but i watched "donegal matters" . I was surprised , quality was way higher than i expected.

Got into the Clare County Matters myself, last week or 2 was a repeat, and read somewhere in the last few days that the presenter has now joined Clare FM.

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Got into the Clare County Matters myself, last week or 2 was a repeat, and read somewhere in the last few days that the presenter has now joined Clare FM.
    Looks like some of the staff are getting out before the horse has bolted. Sinking ship by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Looks like some of the staff are getting out before the horse has bolted. Sinking ship by the looks of things.

One reporter in Kerry is actually a teacher and does Irish TV because she likes it, couple of cameramen are doing multimedia studies and Irish TV is a good work placement for them. Even the Munster head has a couple of other jobs, it's not so much staff getting oury, more along the lines of just getting on with what they normal do here

One reporter in Kerry is actually a teacher and does Irish TV because she likes it, couple of cameramen are doing multimedia studies and Irish TV is a good work placement for them. Even the Munster head has a couple of other jobs, it's not so much staff getting oury, more along the lines of just getting on with what they normal do here
    It's a good platform for students who may have a degree in media and want to dip their toes in to tv. For that reason alone I would hate to see it cease broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are these dead now or have they changed transponder yet again? I swear they must have changed frequencies 20 times since launch.

Thargor wrote: »
    Are these dead now or have they changed transponder yet again? I swear they must have changed frequencies 20 times since launch.

No change here ....... Foster & Allen Show on at this time to be followed by Out & About US

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, its at 11686/V/21997. And at the moment they are showing a repeat of a visit they made to Gaelic Park earlier in the year for the New York v Rossies game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

They moved once since the channel was launched, earlier this year it moved to 11,686 MHz V.
    22 MSym/s, DVB-S QPSK, 5/6.

RIP - Liquidator appointed.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/irish-tv-wound-up-as-attempts-to-secure-funding-fails-1.2913014

But they were in la la land

"In an interview with The Irish Times in 2014, Mr Griffin predicted Irish TV would “be worth £100 million in about two years”.

• Advertisement

Walter2016 wrote: »
    RIP - Liquidator appointed.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/irish-tv-wound-up-as-attempts-to-secure-funding-fails-1.2913014

But they were in la la land

"In an interview with The Irish Times in 2014, Mr Griffin predicted Irish TV would “be worth £100 million in about two years”.

ah now if they had been on Saorview :rolleyes:

Advertisement