Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV - gone?

Options
  • 04-11-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Hearing they are in trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

interesting.
    they need Saorview and TAM for advertising but dragged their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Any more info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

More Music wrote: »
    Hearing they are in trouble.
    Any links to this information please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Whats Irish tv ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Whats Irish tv ?

A mix of local news programmes & country music, it's available on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

And freesat.

7 day data (000s) 28 day data (000s)
    1 THE FOSTER & ALLEN SHOW (2) (SUN 2101) 27 n/a
    2 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (WED 2203) 15 n/a
    3 THE COUNTRY HOUR (1) (SUN 2233) 14 n/a
    4 OUT & ABOUT US (1) (SUN 2201) 14 n/a
    5 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (MON 2201) 13 n/a
    6 OH ME OH MY: SONGS FOR JOE (WED 2302) 12 n/a
    7 WATERFORD COUNTY MATTERS (12) (TUE 1900) 9 n/a
    8 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (SUN 2333) 8 n/a
    9 MONAGHAN COUNTY MATTERS (12) (SUN 2433) 8 n/a
    10 SLIGO COUNTY MATTERS (12) (TUE 1830)[\table]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They just signed a new deal for transmission & distribution so will be around for a while yet.

Its still on air on Sky.

Most posters on here including myself thought irish tv would be gone by now but for some reason the are able to keep going. The person who is backing the channel financially seems to have a bottomless pit of money to throw at the channel. I have a sneaky feeling irish tv is going to be here for long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Elmo wrote: »
    7 day data (000s) 28 day data (000s)
    1 THE FOSTER & ALLEN SHOW (2) (SUN 2101) 27 n/a
    2 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (WED 2203) 15 n/a
    3 THE COUNTRY HOUR (1) (SUN 2233) 14 n/a
    4 OUT & ABOUT US (1) (SUN 2201) 14 n/a
    5 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (MON 2201) 13 n/a
    6 OH ME OH MY: SONGS FOR JOE (WED 2302) 12 n/a
    7 WATERFORD COUNTY MATTERS (12) (TUE 1900) 9 n/a
    8 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (SUN 2333) 8 n/a
    9 MONAGHAN COUNTY MATTERS (12) (SUN 2433) 8 n/a
    10 SLIGO COUNTY MATTERS (12) (TUE 1830)[\table]

Where did you get that from - their website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

I've heard that they have ceased production.
    They're gone from the sky platform too from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

feez wrote: »
    Still on sky anyway channel 191 and seen them filming at the Dublin marathon last weekend...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The OP might want to give a bit more information on their source because as far as I can see the thread is based on little more than "a little bird told me". I'll leave it open for the moment, to see if the OP can justify their post. I'll review tomorrow.

icdg wrote: »
    The OP might want to give a bit more information on their source because as far as I can see the thread is based on little more than "a little bird told me". I'll leave it open for the moment, to see if the OP can justify their post. I'll review tomorrow.
    Yes I think that's a good idea maybe something more concrete might turn up in the media tomorrow. I wouln'd be posting anything without a reliable source to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

Very true - I personally know several producers of County Matters. They have all been told to stop producing new material, many of of them with sizeable invoices to be paid.

As it stands they to not seem to be in a position to A : Accept new material and B : Pay outstanding invoices.

I understand that the original owners of the station are trying to source further finance, but presently the situation looks grim for the station.

W

Very true - I personally know several producers of County Matters. They have all been told to stop producing new material, many of of them with sizeable invoices to be paid.

As it stands they to not seem to be in a position to A : Accept new material and B : Pay outstanding invoices.

I understand that the original owners of the station are trying to source further finance, but presently the situation looks grim for the station.

W
    That's a bit more reliable news so it looks like the the backer who funded the channel up to now has given up on it been a success. I Can't remember who the main financial backer is so apologies for that. It will be interesting to see if it will make Xmas find a new backer or sell the valuable epg slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

Fair enough, for some reason I can't pick it up on their transponder at 11686V on my receiver.
    I've been told by a former employee that they have stopped production so we have to wait and see whether they say anything over the next few days.
    harr wrote: »
    Still on sky anyway channel 191 and seen them filming at the Dublin marathon last weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Have seen them filming in IT Carlow last week. Well cameras had their stickers on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Still transmitting on Eir's 191 slot also, for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fair enough, for some reason I can't pick it up on their transponder at 11686V on my receiver.
    I've been told by a former employee that they have stopped production so we have to wait and see whether they say anything over the next few days.
    Its not one of those times where you have to tell your box to scan Eurobird for that transponder instead of Astra for some reason is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

They're clearly still on Sky. Why would you say otherwise? Are you using a free to air receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This could be a very challenging period for Irish TV. We don't all of the details as to why this has happened though.

To produce material for a channel like Irish TV is a very expensive proposition to do regularly. The bills & invoices of it's production may be a big influence in causing it to fall behind on it's expectations. All of the carriage agreements have been done to show the material so far do cost a lot of money to cover for it's potential audience share. I think that if the audience figures were not attractive enough to begin with to stay on the channel. More people will start to move away from it & will go onto other avenues to find their interests elsewhere.

If we see no investors any more for this channel by then; it's future of coming onto Saorview yet again looks very bleak.

If they do find someone to invest in the station well then it will have a future. How long that it will last? We have no idea but it will be an interesting time for the station.

The audience figures are from the UKs tv ratings company BARB.

Really to my mind a similar situation to CITY TV. Running after a niche audience with low quality TV.

Article in the Sunday Times this morning stating that Irish TV are in talks to secure fresh funding amid mounting losses.

It seems Saorview won't be happening, at any rate.

icdg wrote: »
    Article in the Sunday Times this morning stating that Irish TV are in talks to secure fresh funding amid mounting losses.

It seems Saorview won't be happening, at any

I wonder how much of a loss have they accumulated ? If the loss is huge who's going to want to take those losses on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

According to the times today 2014 accounts a big loss one wonders what last year's accounts are like. Be a shame for them. Hopefully some wealthy Irish American comes to the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I wonder how much of a loss have they accumulated ? If the loss is huge who's going to want to take those losses on?

Maybe Denis O'Brien:D

• Advertisement

Similar report in the Business Post incidentally.

Advertisement