Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV - gone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

icdg wrote: »
    Similar report in the Business Post incidentally.
    Unfortunately sounds like they are in massive trouble. I applaud them for the efford and the idea of trying to provide a service for the many thousands of irish people who have left this country and simply have been forgotten about by or goverment and our national broadcaster. Utterly disgraceful they should be ashamed of temselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

I don't know, I tell it to scan the transponder that I know it's on and it only finds Bloomberg and MUTV.
    Should have checked on a Sky box before opening my mouth 😯
    Thargor wrote: »
    Its not one of those times where you have to tell your box to scan Eurobird for that transponder instead of Astra for some reason is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Unfortunately sounds like they are in massive trouble. I applaud them for the efford and the idea of trying to provide a service for the many thousands of irish people who have left this country and simply have been forgotten about by or goverment and our national broadcaster. Utterly disgraceful they should be ashamed of temselves.

I also applaud them... but too much content... too little quality... the idea of "24 hours" ... it is really just City Channel yet again. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It would be great if they did two feeds. One for Ireland with county matters type stuff and then one for abroad with RTE & TV3 programs interlined with their own. You could have sport on it from Eir sports.

I know too many vested interests maybe the government should step in and take them all by the balls lock them in a room for a day and only let them out with an agreement in place.

I'm living abroad at the moment and I'm not interested in what Mary did last week in Mayo but I am interested in the late late show and maybe prime time and the odd rugby match.

afatbollix wrote: »
    It would be great if they did two feeds. One for Ireland with county matters type stuff and then one for abroad with RTE & TV3 programs interlined with their own. You could have sport on it from Eir sports.

I know too many vested interests maybe the government should step in and take them all by the balls lock them in a room for a day and only let them out with an agreement in place.

I'm living abroad at the moment and I'm not interested in what Mary did last week in Mayo but I am interested in the late late show and maybe prime time and the odd rugby match.
    This is the problem I can't understand why RTE or TV3 don't get together with irish tv and provide a service for people like you. Surely the three broadcasters can come to some agreement and sort this problem out once and for all.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I also applaud them... but too much content... too little quality... the idea of "24 hours" ... it is really just City Channel yet again. :/
    yes they should have cut their hours back put the extra money into producing better irish content buy in some irish movies and at least have some sort of news service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

I hate this type of sh1te.

It is NOT for taxpayers in Ireland to provide a service to people who left the country and who do not contribute to the country.

In anycase you have rte player and a plethora of local news sites online.

I've looked at irishtv a couple of times to see what its about. Its utter rubbish. Ballygobackwards on TV - even with the best will in the world it would struggle with the dreadful programming.

Market simply is not there for such second-rate broadcasting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This is the problem I can't understand why RTE or TV3 don't get together with irish tv and provide a service for people like you. Surely the three broadcasters can come to some agreement and sort this problem out once and for all.

TV3 has proposed the idea - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101096784

Walter2016 wrote: »
    I hate this type of sh1te.

It is NOT for taxpayers in Ireland to provide a service to people who left the country and who do not contribute to the country.

In anycase you have rte player and a plethora of local news sites online.

I've looked at irishtv a couple of times to see what its about. Its utter rubbish. Ballygobackwards on TV - even with the best will in the world it would struggle with the dreadful programming.

Market simply is not there for such second-rate broadcasting
    Chances are a lot of those people left for certain reasons such as financial and to make a better life for themselves whe the country went bust. And i would say they paid their taxes like everyone else did so why shouldn't RTE the goverment invest in a service that keeps them informed about what's happening at home. As for irish tv been a second rate broadcaster it maybe to many but at least it is making the efford to fill the gap that or nationa broadcaster should be doing.

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes read that in the media but it's going to be the same old same old with the questions been asked when or if RTE and TV 3 will start negotiations and if they do when will it launch? I won't be holding my breath on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Chances are a lot of those people left for certain reasons such as financial and to make a better life for themselves whe the country went bust. And i would say they paid their taxes like everyone else did so why shouldn't RTE the goverment invest in a service that keeps them informed about what's happening at home. As for irish tv been a second rate broadcaster it maybe to many but at least it is making the efford to fill the gap that or nationa broadcaster should be doing.

RTE Player is available for those who are abroad. I'd rather the government invested in this country first instead of providing a tv channel for people not living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Elmo wrote: »
    7 day data (000s) 28 day data (000s)
    1 THE FOSTER & ALLEN SHOW (2) (SUN 2101) 27 n/a
    2 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (WED 2203) 15 n/a
    3 THE COUNTRY HOUR (1) (SUN 2233) 14 n/a
    4 OUT & ABOUT US (1) (SUN 2201) 14 n/a
    5 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (MON 2201) 13 n/a
    6 OH ME OH MY: SONGS FOR JOE (WED 2302) 12 n/a
    7 WATERFORD COUNTY MATTERS (12) (TUE 1900) 9 n/a
    8 IRELAND'S COUNTRY (2) (SUN 2333) 8 n/a
    9 MONAGHAN COUNTY MATTERS (12) (SUN 2433) 8 n/a
    10 SLIGO COUNTY MATTERS (12) (TUE 1830)[\table]

Are you listing the reasons this station should disappear?

lertsnim wrote: »
    RTE Player is available for those who are abroad. I'd rather the government invested in this country first instead of providing a tv channel for people not living here.
    I know RTE Player is available abroad but there are many people like the elderly who have left this country many years ago and there are people with certain disabilities that can't use the technology that is available to watch irish content and for that reason alone some sort of service should be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How far do you go with a channel though? Available to what parts of the world? There are expats everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Advbrd wrote: »
    Are you listing the reasons this station should disappear?

If UTV Ireland couldn't survive independently on 10 times those figures, it would appear to be merely a matter of time.

lertsnim wrote: »
    How far do you go with a channel though? Available to what parts of the world? There are expats everywhere.
    For me I would try and get irish tv in to the countries that have alot of irish dispora which would be the USA, Canada, Australia and the UK. I know it is broadcasting in to some of these countries allready but for some unknown reason the marketing of the channel must be very poor or else the marketing company that's even if they have one aren'doing what they are suppose to be getting the channel on to major platfoorms in these countries. I know in it's present state no one would touch it with a parge pole. Massive changes are needed and until they get more professional they may as well pack up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭More Music

icdg wrote: »
    The OP might want to give a bit more information on their source because as far as I can see the thread is based on little more than "a little bird told me". I'll leave it open for the moment, to see if the OP can justify their post. I'll review tomorrow.

Sorry, I couldn't link to anything because newspapers didn't have it.

Tough times ahead for them and staff.

Piece in the journal.ie about irish tv. Multimillionaire John Griffin has stayed quiet about reports that his support for irish tv is wavering. It has been widely reported over the weekend that Griffin has indicated that he will not continue to be the sole funder of the buisness. The company has engage with accountancy firm KPMG to look at it's options. However Fora understands that irish tv have been recently contacting possible investors to raise funding. The most recent accounts for Tellifis Mhaigheo EO TO the main company behind irish tv show that it lost €1.9 million in 2014 bringing accumulated losses to €2.2. It also states it recently singed a deal to join Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It's still on air on freesat tonight.Country Hour on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's still on air on freesat tonight.Country Hour on now.
    Has it moved, it's not where it was on my fta box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The frontpage of the Irish World.

iw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Has it moved, it's not where it was on my fta box.

They are on 11686 V DVB-S. They moved back in September.

They Broadcast in MPEG2. I see that they have dropped their bitrate since this day last month to 3Mb/s. They had been statically using 4megs up to that.

401065.jpg

It comes as no shock to me that they are where they are. All the rubbish being fed to the newspapers about getting on Saorview and the carriage costs etc was for attention. A station that long lost direction. diaspora or not ? €1m for Sky carriage alone. Crazy money burning exercise. The 3 year projections of breakeven by 2016 hasn't transpired.

If the adverts I saw where an indication of what they have attracted in terms of income, its as good as gone.

BTW. RTE already have an international version of its RTE Player. Its very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

STB. wrote: »
    If the adverts I saw where an indication of what they have attracted in terms of income, its as good as gone.

I occasionally dip in and out, and it confuses me that Galway County Council are advertising on it, followed by an ad for a Car Dealership in Thurles with the phone number listed in the international format : +353 504 etc.
    What is the target market for car sales or for Galway Council ?

PacMan wrote: »
    I occasionally dip in and out, and it confuses me that Galway County Council are advertising on it, followed by an ad for a Car Dealership in Thurles with the phone number listed in the international format : +353 504 etc.
    What is the target market for car sales or for Galway Council ?
    It could be the people in charge of running the channel really don'have that much expeirence in broadcasting. Thay just seem to except any type of cheap advertising which will bring in some sort of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The same feed is broadcast around the world so that is why you have American ads followed by a Irish ad. Who makes the ads though? is it Irish TV or a outside production company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The same feed is broadcast around the world so that is why you have American ads followed by a Irish ad. Who makes the ads though? is it Irish TV or a outside production company?

Students? :)

I would say an outside production company and most likely are willing to except a cheap rate for making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

steveon wrote: »

What is with this idea they were hoping to get more of the licence fee! come on the government would have to bring in legislation to change were the money flows, highly unlikely that the government would do that, lets face it they have postponed the broadcasting charge 5 years in a row (and its been thought about for at least 15!).

Blame the licence fee and soarveiw fees time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,934 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's their terrible programming and lack of focus on a target market (Ireland or overseas - can't be both) they should be blaming.

I wonder what Galway ratepayers think about their money being wasted advertising on a channel practically nobody watches. What use does a county council have for TV advertising anyway?

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement