Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Hitchens wrote: »
    It's sure to pick up a few IFTAs ;)

with all the stiff competition??? ;)

not the worst effort. will give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Found it only ok. To me it seemed as if RTE had taken inspiration from some of the better legal drama, the Good wife, Silk, and someone mentioned Suits and pulled them all together. No sure that Tara /Amy Huberman is strong enough to pull the whole thing together, sixth is what is needed like in Silk. The main character was superb in that.

The actor playing Conor was very weak, couldn't feel sorry or any emotion for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I want to like this series and hopefully it will pick up over the remaining three episodes. I wouldn't take the Indo review too seriously either, many of the positive tweets about the show came from friends of Amy and Brian's, which is understandable but hardly very objective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Yes it just about reached the level of 'ok'. Huberman is excellent but she's carrying the entire show, no-one else is anything other than a cardboard cut-out and the plot is bizarre.

Don't start me on the legal content -I know, there's no place for reality in this kind of drama but some of that was still quite unintentionally funny. Having said all that, I'll watch the next one, but mainly to do some more location-spotting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I liked the shots of Dublin. You don't see that on TV often. Hard to imagine that people have a problem with a few nice views of Dublin being shown for once.

Anyway, some terrible characters in it. The Conor character was awful. Just awful. Meg and her 'tech skills' were a bit cringy. Amy wasn't too bad though.

I'll give it a chance but it probably won't be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I can't understand RTE's fascination with posh Dublin dramas. Most of us can't relate to these characters, and what is it with their affected upper class English accents??
    For me, the best two dramas that RTE have been involved with in recent times were Pure Mule and Love/Hate, which were a world removed from the lives of the one-dimensional characters in Striking Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

thestar wrote: »
    It was good tonight. Typical boards with a negative response to everything

Lighten up BOD will ya??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I forgot to mention how cringeworthy the ad for this was.

Obligatory shot of main character in bed with her boyfriend, another walking on street crying, another wide angled shot of her walking in slow motion for some reason, and to top it off "this is my life, these are moooyyy chooooyyyyyces"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hitchens wrote: »

The Indo has always been trying to push O Driscoll/Huberman as a Posh n Becks type celebrity couple. Not the most objective critics.

Ill give Amy her credit here, she wasnt too bad. She hadnt alot to work with in this absolute abortion of a series.

Abysmal writing. Can these so called writers be struck off the same way a doctor can? Because this was malpractice of the highest order. I am all for RTE or whoever trying out new things but I just dont know where to begin with this shíte. I knew the very second i seen the Indo's 'objective' view that this show was a 'hit' based on a few tweets from their cronies that i needed to approach this show with a skeptical outlook and sure enough i wasnt disappointed.

thestar wrote: »
    It was good tonight. Typical boards with a negative response to everything Irish

Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seriously, who has a hen night on a work night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think Tara's (Amy Huberman's) parents might have potential to be more interesting characters than her to be honest. I'd give it another episode at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Indo are determined to tell us all it was great. It "saved RTE's Christmas blushes" according to the front page headline :rolleyes:

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The Indo are determined to tell us all it was great. It "saved RTE's Christmas blushes" according to the front page headline :rolleyes:

I saw that this morning, front page news no less, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

I enjoyed it. Guess we'll have to see how it does in the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ligerdub wrote: »
    I saw that this morning, front page news no less, madness.

Jesus, the independent is such a rag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Surprise surprise Louise O Neill is raving about it. Didn't she say the same about Can't Cope Won't Cope? If it stars one of her buddies and the main character has a vagina then it's thumbs up.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/815685267336134656

• Advertisement

I saw that. "I have to like this" tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Didn't think much of it to be honest. There was no real courtroom tension. Everything was too easily resolved. Characters didn't really go into depth either. Not a whole lot happened between Tara and the Fiancé. Didn't understand the mothers motivation behind keeping them together, and the argument they had towards the end wasn't really well written. Though I thought it was well acted by Amy.

It was also a little too similar to the good wife - right down to the sassy leather jacket wearing private investigator. There is no comparison between the quality though.

On a side note, the actor that played character involved in sex scandal was terrible. Fair City level bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Newstalk's TV Review
    TV Review: Derivative and dull, RTÉ's 'Striking Out' may as well be called 'The Grand Spouse'
    The Amy Huberman-led legal drama doesn't have an original bone in its body, but plenty of boners to spare.

http://www.newstalk.com/TV-Review:-Derivative-and-dull-RTs-Striking-Out-may-as-well-be-called-The-Grand-Spouse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I liked it fine - agree the tv celeb hadn't much depth though. Dublin is nicely filmed. I've never seen Amy Huberman in anything before and I thought she carried it well enough. Will definitely keep watching.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I liked it fine - agree the tv celeb hadn't much depth though. Dublin is nicely filmed. I've never seen Amy Huberman in anything before and I thought she carried it well enough. Will definitely keep watching.

Does she get her kit off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Does she get her kit off?

Not until near the very end of the final episode ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thought is was decent. Characters a bit unrelatable though, gaf in Ranelagh, fancy apartment in ballsbridge and the mothers gaf in Dalkey. I know she's a high powered lawyer but I thought that was laying it on a bit thick.

I know it's been discussed already but the luas on leeson Street was a bit of a jar. Just say the club is on Harcourt Street. Again, bit poor for an Irish show on an Irish channel aimed at an Irish audience.

Some of the dialogue was grim, particularly the fight with the mother at the end. But all in all watchable, though maybe I'll have the laptop on in the background for the next episode.

Thought is was decent. Characters a bit unrelatable though, gaf in Ranelagh, fancy apartment in ballsbridge and the mothers gaf in Dalkey. I know she's a high powered lawyer but I thought that was laying it on a bit thick.

I know it's been discussed already but the luas on leeson Street was a bit of a jar. Just say the club is on Harcourt Street. Again, bit poor for an Irish show on an Irish channel aimed at an Irish audience.

Some of the dialogue was grim, particularly the fight with the mother at the end. But all in all watchable, though maybe I'll have the laptop on in the background for the next episode.

Shows produced in Ireland tend to make a lot of stupid oversights like that. In Can't Cope, Won't Cope they opened with a scene where they got a taxi from outside Flannery's to Coppers!

There is also an obsession to have the characters with higher end responsibilities and wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ligerdub wrote: »
    Shows produced in Ireland tend to make a lot of stupid oversights like that. In Can't Cope, Won't Cope they opened with a scene where they got a taxi from outside Flannery's to Coppers!

Don't ever watch the Snapper then. He's on a rush to the Rotunda from the north side and he crosses the Liffey onto the south side beside the Customs House..!!!!

It's not an oversight, Geography doesn't matter in fictional programs.

• Advertisement

Don't ever watch the Snapper then. He's on a rush to the Rotunda from the north side and he crosses the Liffey onto the south side beside the Customs House..!!!!

It's not an oversight, Geography doesn't matter in fictional programs.

Fiction based on reality. It's not difficult to avoid these errors.

Advertisement