Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

jezzer wrote: »
    yes they would all such businesses have card acceptance capabilities in house..... but thats besides the point,...

It was a personal payment to the parents - nothing to do with their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

brian_t wrote: »

So it was indeed fortunate that she had her chequebook with her.

eamonnq wrote: »
    So it was indeed fortunate that she had her chequebook with her.

Her wedding was coming up. Last minute payments wouldn't be unexpected and not all wedding expenses can be covered by card.

A lot of women don't feel safe carrying around cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

absolutely 100% well said, every damn evening i turn on the tv its some sort of reality sh1te, its mindless cheap trailer trash garbage that is cheap to make and appeals to the current crop of concentration lacking generation that we have become, and it is now a massive problem, some of my own family included, they cant actually concentrate on watching a good drama or film where you have to use your brain to work out characters and a storyline instead its easier to watch a few complete buffoons make idiots of themselves live on TV whilst checking facebook to see who posted a recent pic of their dinner, i know this sounds dramatic but i think its something the government needs to seriously look at.
    At least RTE have made some attempts at drama, clean break like striking out was watchable, rebellion was watchable too but i too have issues with it, still, its an effort and i would rather see RTE spend the licence fee on giving some writers producers etc an opportunity to make something instead of giving someone like brezzy (and no offence to brezzy here, just using an example) air time to sit there and pretend hes an expert on music, or some illiterate airhead to sit in a house all day fighting over who broke wind, its horrific stuff, glad i'm not the only one who thinks so...

+1. I think that dramas like Clean Break, Rebellion and probably Striking Out all have potential and who knows what a second series could do with them. I'd love to see a series 6 of Love/Hate too and this series for 5 years brightened up our screens for winter Sunday nights.

You are far from being alone wrt this reality drivel. In fact I have to yet meet someone who likes it. People watch Big Brother because they think they will see a real fight or something. They will admit it is drivel. I would walk out of a room if people were watching this and similar.

All them bloody garden and house makeover programmes are more of the same. Taking the 4 you mention (celeb big brother, dancing with the stars, operation transformation, the voice) and others ranging from room to improve to house hunters in the sun to you're a star to glor tire and you have some woeful viewing.

Another most annoying thing is that people can actually become famous just because they were on big brother. The late Jade Goody I think was famous only because she was a contestant on that! In other words, a person does not have to have talent to become famous. All they have to do is agree to live in a house for a while.

The dramas are an effort being made for different stuff. The media has too much power and the government should tell the media to support other types of programmes besides reality shows. These woeful programmes get made over and over. Taking 4 examples on Irish channels:

The Voice of Ireland: might as well be known as You're a Star version 3 or Postars version 4. This tired drivel is one of a series of boyband manager dominated talent contests that have plagued our screens since 2002.

Dancing with the Stars: another poor concept to give work to RTE cronies and to waste our money. This is just The Voice of Ireland with dancing.

Glor Tire: The Voice/You're a Star in Irish with ex boyband idiots having a go singing pop songs and pretending it is country music.

Operation Transformation: media pandering to the fitness and diet industry who want to kill off Christmas as early as possible and depress us with more of the same. People losing weight instead of people singing and OT is just a diet version of You're a Star, etc.

These thing go on and on for years and are dragged out for weeks when they are on. Room to improve, Stetsons and stilettos, Dragon's den, The X factor and Masterchef are more examples of this rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I totally agree. Reality TV might have been groundbreaking years ago, but now it's descended into 'lowest common denominator' rubbish. It seems no part of people's lives is now too mundane to be shared with the entire population - losing weight, choosing a wedding dress, extending the kitchen etc etc. It's all been turned into 'entertainment' for the masses. We've forgotten what a decent drama, documentary or chat show should look like.

It's bad enough to have commercial channels churning out this drivel non stop. But do RTE really have to try and compete? They're a public service broadcaster and pale imitations of BBC shows such as Strictly are really not what we should be paying a licence fee for.

• Advertisement

I totally agree. Reality TV might have been groundbreaking years ago, but now it's descended into 'lowest common denominator' rubbish. It seems no part of people's lives is now too mundane to be shared with the entire population - losing weight, choosing a wedding dress, extending the kitchen etc etc. It's all been turned into 'entertainment' for the masses. We've forgotten what a decent drama, documentary or chat show should look like.

It's bad enough to have commercial channels churning out this drivel non stop. But do RTE really have to try and compete? They're a public service broadcaster and pale imitations of BBC shows such as Strictly are really not what we should be paying a licence fee for.

I agree about reality TV. But if the BBC can show them then why not RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes they would all such businesses have card acceptance capabilities in house..... but thats besides the point, i dont know too many women in their 30's in 2017 who carry around a cheque book in their handbag.....i'm pretty sure pennys dont accept cheques these days....

You'll find that most soliciters will have one to pay barristers , private investigators etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

it could have been made out to the business to pay the suppliers

Because they do programmes like Masterchef, Bake Off and Strictly much better than RTE. For celebrity programmes like Strictly we simply don't have enough 'well known' people to make them interesting. And most of the contestants on Irish Masterchef and Bake Off (admittedly TV3 programmes, not RTE) wouldn't have even got a call back for the BBC versions.

+1. I think that dramas like Clean Break, Rebellion and probably Striking Out all have potential and who knows what a second series could do with them. I'd love to see a series 6 of Love/Hate too and this series for 5 years brightened up our screens for winter Sunday nights.

You are far from being alone wrt this reality drivel. In fact I have to yet meet someone who likes it. People watch Big Brother because they think they will see a real fight or something. They will admit it is drivel. I would walk out of a room if people were watching this and similar.

All them bloody garden and house makeover programmes are more of the same. Taking the 4 you mention (celeb big brother, dancing with the stars, operation transformation, the voice) and others ranging from room to improve to house hunters in the sun to you're a star to glor tire and you have some woeful viewing.

Another most annoying thing is that people can actually become famous just because they were on big brother. The late Jade Goody I think was famous only because she was a contestant on that! In other words, a person does not have to have talent to become famous. All they have to do is agree to live in a house for a while.

The dramas are an effort being made for different stuff. The media has too much power and the government should tell the media to support other types of programmes besides reality shows. These woeful programmes get made over and over. Taking 4 examples on Irish channels:

The Voice of Ireland: might as well be known as You're a Star version 3 or Postars version 4. This tired drivel is one of a series of boyband manager dominated talent contests that have plagued our screens since 2002.

Dancing with the Stars: another poor concept to give work to RTE cronies and to waste our money. This is just The Voice of Ireland with dancing.

Glor Tire: The Voice/You're a Star in Irish with ex boyband idiots having a go singing pop songs and pretending it is country music.

Operation Transformation: media pandering to the fitness and diet industry who want to kill off Christmas as early as possible and depress us with more of the same. People losing weight instead of people singing and OT is just a diet version of You're a Star, etc.

These thing go on and on for years and are dragged out for weeks when they are on. Room to improve, Stetsons and stilettos, Dragon's den, The X factor and Masterchef are more examples of this rubbish.

i totally forgeot about all that other crap, room to improve and so on...dragons den, how is that crap still on tv i will never know, the apprentice, bill cullen rabbiting on about penny apples, give me a break...as for operation transformation, poor over weight fools being castigated half naked on a weighing scales, horrific stuff, the likes of x factor, how else would a buffoon like louis walsh get on tv, makes me sick.
    A lot of the proplem in Ireland is that RTE are broke (doesnt stop them overpaying an over rated ryan tubridy) so they just rip formats from the uk and make a piss poor effort to replicate, we are being sold a pup every time

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    You'll find that most soliciters will have one to pay barristers , private investigators etc.

via personal cheques? and claim back via expenses perhaps? :rolleyes:

i totally forgeot about all that other crap, room to improve and so on...dragons den, how is that crap still on tv i will never know, the apprentice, bill cullen rabbiting on about penny apples, give me a break...as for operation transformation, poor over weight fools being castigated half naked on a weighing scales, horrific stuff, the likes of x factor, how else would a buffoon like louis walsh get on tv, makes me sick.
    A lot of the proplem in Ireland is that RTE are broke (doesnt stop them overpaying an over rated ryan tubridy) so they just rip formats from the uk and make a piss poor effort to replicate, we are being sold a pup every time

All these programmes are desperate and not only that but they are nasty as well. Dragon's den is an example of how nasty this stuff can get. The people on Operation transformation having to appear half naked on a scales for the whole country to see is more of this nastiness.

The X factor, You're a star, the voice, etc. are all there to let Louis Walsh and his types onto our screens. Aspiring singers are of course exploited by these things and they are no good to them either. Vehicles for the likes of Louis Walsh is all they are.

RTE continuing to make all this drivel will not help them. At least, the dramas are always watchable and sometimes they are excellent. I believe a drama needs to get 2 seasons to really get going. For example, Love/Hate series one was good and solid but season 2 totally defined it and the plots of that season formed the basis for events that would happen right up until the end of season 5.

Series like Amber, Rebellion, Clean Break and Striking Out could have the potential to be continued too. The Charlie Haughey drama was good too. Maybe they are not as good as Love/Hate but they still were a good escape from all the usual reality garbage. What would be on RTE 1 if Striking Out was not on? Most likely Room to improve!

What would be on RTE 1 if Striking Out was not on? Most likely Room to improve!

New series of Room to Improve starts on Sun 28th at 9.30pm.

New series of Room to Improve starts on Sun 28th at 9.30pm.

Very easy to predict that! I remember it came on the week after Love/Hate ended one year too. And after Rebellion last year. Why do RTE keep making programmes like Room to improve that are jaded at this stage? They really don't care about what people think and will stick on drivel like this that is cheap to make so they can still continue to pay their overpaid presenters.

All this reality TV is not good no matter where it comes from. RTE, BBC, TV3, ITV/UTV, Channel 4, other channels. All the same.

According to the Indo this second episode pulled in an average audience of 544,600 on RTE1.

Dancing with the Stars Ireland got an average of 640,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Watched the second episode tonight - patchy storyline but still quite watchable.

All these programmes are desperate and not only that but they are nasty as well. Dragon's den is an example of how nasty this stuff can get. The people on Operation transformation having to appear half naked on a scales for the whole country to see is more of this nastiness.

The X factor, You're a star, the voice, etc. are all there to let Louis Walsh and his types onto our screens. Aspiring singers are of course exploited by these things and they are no good to them either. Vehicles for the likes of Louis Walsh is all they are.

RTE continuing to make all this drivel will not help them. At least, the dramas are always watchable and sometimes they are excellent. I believe a drama needs to get 2 seasons to really get going. For example, Love/Hate series one was good and solid but season 2 totally defined it and the plots of that season formed the basis for events that would happen right up until the end of season 5.

Series like Amber, Rebellion, Clean Break and Striking Out could have the potential to be continued too. The Charlie Haughey drama was good too. Maybe they are not as good as Love/Hate but they still were a good escape from all the usual reality garbage. What would be on RTE 1 if Striking Out was not on? Most likely Room to improve!

yes the haughey drama was very good plus it involved a bit of history which is good, i agree with what you say, where else would a gob****e like louis walsh get to carry on like he offers any value to this world...
    as you say nastiness is a big part of it, degrading the contestants on x factor, constant bullying on big brother and laughing at half naked overweight people on operation transformation, all these shows do is provide a platofrm for the likes of kathryn thomas who wouldnt get a look in elsewhere all at the expense of foolish contestants whos only goal in life seems to get famous for the sake of being famous, its pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I'd be very surprised if this mediocre drama (I used the term loosely) is renewed.

I'd love to know the reason RTE repeatedly give some of these supposedly "talented" actors and actresses top billing. Talent seems to have little to do with it.

Talent and RTE don't seem to mix very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

It is watchable, but let down by some basic enough weaknesses.
    Firstly the research isn't great in certain areas. For example Tara keeps referring to the "company" when in law the term is always 'firm'.
    A firm like the one she worked in is highly unlikely to operate out of glass towers like the commercial ones do.
    It would be bonkers to think that a criminal client would be allowed wait alone for her in her office like Ray did.

Some of the dialogue in what should be key emotional scenes is very strained. If you missed the opening, you might have thought she was a little huffed with her fiance for forgetting a birthday, rather than finding him buried in some tart a week before the wedding. Or maybe D4 princesses take such seemingly devastating life events in their stride way better. A couple of handbags from BT will win her back.

The other silly bits are someone having their hen on a school night when they're expected on the court the next morning. Yer man being happy out mowing the lawn in the house he was being evicted from. The extreme coincidence that the same man happened to charge into the antique place at the same moment as the zonked out PI was in there.

I'm looking forward to episode 3.

• Advertisement

yes the haughey drama was very good plus it involved a bit of history which is good, i agree with what you say, where else would a gob****e like louis walsh get to carry on like he offers any value to this world...
    as you say nastiness is a big part of it, degrading the contestants on x factor, constant bullying on big brother and laughing at half naked overweight people on operation transformation, all these shows do is provide a platofrm for the likes of kathryn thomas who wouldnt get a look in elsewhere all at the expense of foolish contestants whos only goal in life seems to get famous for the sake of being famous, its pathetic

The Haughey drama was good and provided something different. A similar one about the peace process might work too but it would need to be done in a way that would not be biased in favour of any given side.

The nastiness of the X factor where contestants are degraded is copied in the putdowns of dragon's den. The bullying in big brother is not only allowed but is encouraged. The operation transformation setup has left some contestants in tears too on more than 1 occasion. These woeful TV shows are all as bad as they get. Gerry Ryan was the original presenter of operation transformation: a man who ate to excess and was on drugs presenting a fitness show. Kathryn Thomas then took over as she needed to do something after a bout of travel sickness in some African country iirc prompted her to stop doing travel shows.

Will have a go at Striking Out later. The general consensus seems to be it is watchable anyway. It would be way better than the drivel mentioned above for sure.

The Haughey drama was good and provided something different. A similar one about the peace process might work too but it would need to be done in a way that would not be biased in favour of any given side.

The nastiness of the X factor where contestants are degraded is copied in the putdowns of dragon's den. The bullying in big brother is not only allowed but is encouraged. The operation transformation setup has left some contestants in tears too on more than 1 occasion. These woeful TV shows are all as bad as they get. Gerry Ryan was the original presenter of operation transformation: a man who ate to excess and was on drugs presenting a fitness show. Kathryn Thomas then took over as she needed to do something after a bout of travel sickness in some African country iirc promoted her to stop doing travel shows.

Will have a go at Striking Out later. The general consensus seems to be it is watchable anyway. It would be way better than the drivel mentioned above for sure.

absolutely, stricking out isnt award winning stuff but its watchable and you have to engage your brain to some extent.... i always had to laugh at gerry ryan, an obese individual who ate to excess in the 4 seasons every day and had a drug problem standing there lording over foolish individuals in their underwear being embarrassed on national tv...there was something not quite right about that.... Kathryn Thomas as you say had to be facilitated, she must be fuming that crap the voice got the boot... these shows feed of the bullying and nastiness and turn them into a tv program, it disgusts me

Turfcutter wrote: »
    Firstly the research isn't great in certain areas. For example Tara keeps referring to the "company" when in law the term is always 'firm'.
    A firm like the one she worked in is highly unlikely to operate out of glass towers like the commercial ones do.
    It would be bonkers to think that a criminal client would be allowed wait alone for her in her office like Ray did.

Some of the dialogue in what should be key emotional scenes is very strained. If you missed the opening, you might have thought she was a little huffed with her fiance for forgetting a birthday, rather than finding him buried in some tart a week before the wedding. Or maybe D4 princesses take such seemingly devastating life events in their stride way better. A couple of handbags from BT will win her back.

The other silly bits are someone having their hen on a school night when they're expected on the court the next morning. Yer man being happy out mowing the lawn in the house he was being evicted from. The extreme coincidence that the same man happened to charge into the antique place at the same moment as the zonked out PI was in there.

all good points in fairness and certainly the worst for me was having the hen on a school night, who the heck does that! its right up there with her carrying around a cheque book and never would a big law firm allow a hoodlum sit in an office covered in confidential info....also, she left the hen party in a resturant which was still open and busy so it could have been no more than 11pm, she would have been back at the apartment at no later than half 11 after that she went roaming the streets until she went to the office in the mornign which was busy so it would be no earlier than 7 am, where in the heck did she go walking for the guts of 7 hours? out to wicklow and back?

I'd be very surprised if this mediocre drama (I used the term loosely) is renewed.

I'd love to know the reason RTE repeatedly give some of these supposedly "talented" actors and actresses top billing. Talent seems to have little to do with it.

Talent and RTE don't seem to mix very well.

well with all due respect to hubermans, we all know that if she wasnt brian o driscolls wife she would be one of the many unknowns in irish acting circles, thats not a dig just the truth...shes not a terrible actor, possibly a step above fair city but shes certainly not a stand out by a long shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Turfcutter wrote: »

Not to mention reading the will out at the funeral. Who does this, ever?

I think the writers miss the point that you can have high quality drama without dispensing with realistic scenarios.

Instead they have turned the program into a cartoon with cartoon characters and scenarios. They deserve any criticism coming their way.

well with all due respect to hubermans, we all know that if she wasnt brian o driscolls wife she would be one of the many unknowns in irish acting circles, thats not a dig just the truth...shes not a terrible actor, possibly a step above fair city but shes certainly not a stand out by a long shot...

I agree. She's a good 'light comic' actor, but I really don't think she's the right person to carry a serious legal drama. She's certainly not a crap actor by any means, and she looks beautiful, but I don't think she brings any real depth to the role. She's not aided by a weak, clichéd script but I think there are actors out there who would suit the role better and could do with a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

She's 4 out of 10 actor at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'd be surprised if it isn't, unless the writers have written it specifically for one series.

So long as the writer or main character are women it stays on, simple as. It's the same as Can't Cope, Won't Cope.

Not to mention reading the will out at the funeral. Who does this, ever?

I think the writers miss the point that you can have high quality drama without dispensing with realistic scenarios.

Instead they have turned the program into a cartoon with cartoon characters and scenarios. They deserve any criticism coming their way.

good call on the reading of the will, totally absurd

• Advertisement

I agree. She's a good 'light comic' actor, but I really don't think she's the right person to carry a serious legal drama. She's certainly not a crap actor by any means, and she looks beautiful, but I don't think she brings any real depth to the role. She's not aided by a weak, clichéd script but I think there are actors out there who would suit the role better and could do with a break.

i totally agree, she does appear to have a comedic streak but certainly doesnt have the depth for this role. I would have loved to have seen Ruth Bradley in that role, I think she would have played a blinder

Advertisement