Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Sorry folks but this is Mrs BOD you are talking about. Drick. Dricko. Briano. The Drickmeister General. The Number 13 to end all Number 13.
    BOD ffs !
    So cut out the blasphemy now.
    God, this country owes that man so much, and it seems many of you arent even fit to be display a minimum of respect to his wife. Shame on you. Shame on you all.
    Mr. O'Driscoll, Amy was super. Great drama. Great acting. Loved it.

Is that you Ryle???

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ligerdub wrote: »
    Fiction based on reality. It's not difficult to avoid these errors.

You must have been pulling your hair out with Love/Hate then. They were hopping all over the place in that. One minute they're on the Naas Road, the next they're somewhere miles away.

It's a drama, these things don't matter.

Edit - I doubt it's an Irish thing either. I bet if they stuck a GPS receiver on the bus in Speed it would have been all over the place.

It's just because we know the city that we notice it in programs set in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I found it tough going. Sweeping shots of an illuminated Dublin do not distract from a terrible script and poor acting. And there's so much that doesn't make sense - Tara gathering her files and ditching her firm to set up in the back of a cafe, explained away as "she never signed a contract". You still can't do that. I was also confused by all the English accents.

Might give episode 2 a shot if there's nothing better on as I do genuinely like to support homegrown TV but it would want a dramatic increase in quality and ... drama if I'm to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Sorry folks but this is Mrs BOD you are talking about. Drick. Dricko. Briano. The Drickmeister General. The Number 13 to end all Number 13.
    BOD ffs !
    So cut out the blasphemy now.
    God, this country owes that man so much, and it seems many of you arent even fit to be display a minimum of respect to his wife. Shame on you. Shame on you all.
    Mr. O'Driscoll, Amy was super. Great drama. Great acting. Loved it.

Seriously...we've all gotta like this third rate show because AH's husband was a good rugby player or am I missing the joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TheDavester

ligerdub wrote: »
    I haven't watched this so I've no idea if it's a steaming turd or a real gem.

However, why do RTE insist on making Amy Huberman a thing we're all rallying around? I'm sure she's lovely and all, but when I've seen her in comedy I haven't found her funny, when I've seen her in comedy dramas I've found her neither funny nor a good actress. Having seen her in drama I've not changed my mind. Who is backing her as a must for these projects?

Having seen the ad it smacks of the "she's a high powered executive in the city, lets follow her trials and tribulations". It's such a cliche at this stage. Much like the dirge that was Can't Cope, Won't Cope it looks like another RTE effort which is about 10-15 years too late to the party.

This times 10...Im sick of them and The Independent making her a big deal.. There was someone from the independent on Matt Cooper today saying how great she is and "everybody" loves her....Her husband again it seems to open more doors for her ....She was fairly bad as well in Cant Cope Wont Cope too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Terrible dialogue. Clichéd plot. Poor acting.

I don't recall seeing AH in anything before. I thought she was OK in fairness.
    Not very good but not as bad as some are saying.
    Her new sidekick is the most pleasant and helpful scrote ever.

Missus thought it was good, so i'll end up watching it again i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This times 10...Im sick of them and The Independent making her a big deal.. There was someone from the independent on Matt Cooper today saying how great she is and "everybody" loves her....Her husband again it seems to open more doors for her ....She was fairly bad as well in Cant Cope Wont Cope too

I was listening to the Last Word with Matt Cooper, the second critic completley slated it and wasn't having any of the other one's nonsense.

The one who was praising the show, was using the viewing figures as a sign of the show's quality...which made no sense considering it's the pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Watched it yesterday and found it unintentionally hilarious "Tara Rafferty, solicitor!"
    The plot was thin and the characters picked from central casting.
    1 love rat partner, check.
    2 gay best friend/scanger she just met
    3 overbearing posh (English) mother
    4 geeky, dragon tattoo type techie girl

Didnt see anything interesting that hasnt been seen loads of times before and the moaning and groaning noises on the sex tape were the funniest thing ive ever heard on rte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It is like they looked at every single legal drama "Suits", "The Good Wife", "Better Call Saul" and put them in a blender but added some RTE into the ingrediants. There is no originality, that is the problem. And that isn't even going into the dialogue. The writing seems akin to an "edgy" Cathy Kelly novel.

"The World"............. seriously!!! That's the name of a paper you would see in bloody Superman or Sponge bob Squarepants! !!!!! This is a show I will have to watch to hate! I work as a trainee solicitor so it makes it even more cringe worthy and cliché driven!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Does she get her kit off?

Yeah, she does for the shower scene, but not a pretty sight with all that eye goopeek.pngbiggrin.png
    Terrible dialogue. Clichéd plot. Poor acting.

I don't recall seeing AH in anything before. I thought she was OK in fairness.
    Not very good but not as bad as some are saying.
    Her new sidekick is the most pleasant and helpful scrote ever.

Missus thought it was good, so i'll end up watching it again i'd say.

Ah Begorrah, you missed Chasing Leprachauns, TV3 showed it day after on Bank Holiday Mon, maybe to show good her acting chops are wink.png
    Did you know that Amy Huberman once made a film for a US channel about Leprechauns and played the part of a ‘pixie expert?’
    The Indo, may say Striking Out saved RTE, but the same couldn't be said when it called it a Hallmark Channel abomination when it premiered here on TV3 Paddy's Day 2015

siblers wrote: »
    I was listening to the Last Word with Matt Cooper, the second critic completley slated it and wasn't having any of the other one's nonsense.

The one who was praising the show, was using the viewing figures as a sign of the show's quality...which made no sense considering it's the pilot

Afaik that's Jennifer Gannon, she doesn't like a lot of stuff v Eoin Murphy's missus, i don't know which one's with the Indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

"Too Patrick"..........erm!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Reading a will at a wake after everyone has drink taken, jesus. That room in the back of the cafe is huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Lads, these gafs are ridiculous. At least pretend it's based on real life.

"yoga sweat box" aka "swingers club" more like the sound of it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Does the private investigator one do the "backing brace" voiceover for the AIB ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

"yoga sweat box" aka "swingers club" more like the sound of it!!!

Maybe herself and the dodgey sex club on leason/Harcourt St from episode 1 could form a partnership.

This show should be called Affidavit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

I really wanted to like this, but this is bad beyond belief.

Glass of vodka will settle ya, young fella!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Anyone remember an american comedy/drama called ED

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_(TV_series)

It was about a hotshot lawyer in new york who loses his job and wife and goes to his small hometown and sets up a law practice in a bowling alley. He dealt with big cases and small petty squabbles. I think RTE could have made a similar show which would have been better. Could go similar to ballykissangel with a law slant.

Better than this bland series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The acting is poor, you can doll it up whatever way you like but it's poor including amy hoobs. What's with all the silent stares and long pauses.

The script...Jesus

They are living on sage and incense sticks..who says that.. ever..anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

It's not great it's not bad it's meh..... same as most stuff produced by rte. Meh central.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Thank god there is only 4 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Its not the worst of the worst rte have given us ( amber, clean break ) . I think its biggest problem is the blatant good wife rip off. Its not even subtle about it.

I don't know what I just wasted an hour of my life on really. I have no issue with Any Huberman personally but even the dogs in the street could tell you she can't act compared to some of our other well known talent. I'd say they all ran a mile when they read the scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Ok I don't the show is bad. Amy Huberman is giving a very good performance imo and I'm speaking as someone unfamiliar with her acting work. She's the best in the cast. The only noticeably poor actors are the private investigator and Eric's parents imo. Too cartoon villainy. There are some clunkers in the dialogue for sure which have been pointed out already. After the first episode I thought Eric was just going to be some typical one dimensional character but thankfully he's appearances are very sparse and only tangential to the plot at this point.

With that said, it is very well shot. Photography, sets and production values are very slick and make it the show highly watchable. The 'case of the weeks' in both episodes have been pretty interesting too. Especially this week I didn't see the twist with the court room backfire coming. They've shoehorned two affairs into those plots, I guess to add some tension to Tara's story but it's not subtle and I hope they wind it in.

The show is very obviously identical to The Good Wife. Inspired by and mirrored in many areas, right down to the Kalinda knock off in Meg. I think there is a lot of potential in it though and I will definitely be watching the rest of the series and hoping for some more episodes in the future.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Ok I don't the show is bad. Amy Huberman is giving a very good performance imo and I'm speaking as someone unfamiliar with her acting work. She's the best in the cast. The only noticeably poor actors are the private investigator and Eric's parents imo. Too cartoon villainy. There are some clunkers in the dialogue for sure which have been pointed out already. After the first episode I thought Eric was just going to be some typical one dimensional character but thankfully he's appearances are very sparse and only tangential to the plot at this point.

With that said, it is very well shot. Photography, sets and production values are very slick and make it the show highly watchable. The 'case of the weeks' in both episodes have been pretty interesting too. Especially this week I didn't see the twist with the court room backfire coming. They've shoehorned two affairs into those plots, I guess to add some tension to Tara's story but it's not subtle and I hope they wind it in.

The show is very obviously identical to The Good Wife. Inspired by and mirrored in many areas, right down to the Kalinda knock off in Meg. I think there is a lot of potential in it though and I will definitely be watching the rest of the series and hoping for some more episodes in the future.

I'll disagree with you on Huberman till the cows come home she's terrible imo. As for the shooting and how it looks, this is stock RTE wanting to spend a bit of money stuff, it looks identical in terms of locations and how it's shot like every other drama they've done in in recent times and beyond as far back as batchelers walk even. I'd wager it's got most of the same people involvded in it as batchelers walk ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

as far back as batchelers walk even. I'd wager it's got most of the same people involvded in it as batchelers walk ffs.

Batchelors walk did it well tho. Lots of soft focus Dublin but much more realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I watched the first part tonight and enjoyed it. I'll watch the rest of the series as well. Don't see any major flaws in it either.

Advertisement