Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I agree. She's a good 'light comic' actor, but I really don't think she's the right person to carry a serious legal drama. She's certainly not a crap actor by any means, and she looks beautiful, but I don't think she brings any real depth to the role. She's not aided by a weak, clichéd script but I think there are actors out there who would suit the role better and could do with a break.

"Striking Out" is hardly a serious legal drama - more like a legal version of Ballykissangel. Anyway, I don't get all the Amy Huberman hate on this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Striking Out" is hardly a serious legal drama - more like a legal version of Ballykissangel. Anyway, I don't get all the Amy Huberman hate on this thread...

Hate? Criticising someone's acting technique or suitability for a role is not 'hating someone'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Equally a lot of people don't get the amount of push she gets in the mainstream Irish media when she is really not that great as an actress. If she was that good she would have made it in the UK or the us... But that's just my opiniob

• Registered Users Posts: 54,943 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ligerdub wrote: »
    She's 4 out of 10 actor at best.

She just doesn't strike me as an actor. Maybe a pretty face. Suited to modelling. I can't see an actor. There just doesn't seem to be any realness about her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

theres no hate, dont try and twist it, people are just offering their realistic views of her acting ability which is mediocre, not terrible but not brilliant, as another poster said if she was that good she would have made it in the Uk at the very least but lets call a spade a spade here, if she wasnt married to the most famous irish rugby player ever she would be just one of the many thousands of unknown irish actors out there, for example, she started out in on home ground with dominique mcelligott, both of them would be around the same standard of acting, mcelligott possible a bit better, however most people are going to say Dominique who? whilst Hubermans is completely pumped up by the Irish media, purely because she married brian o driscoll, that is a simple fact not a criticism..

• Advertisement

Just heard on the radio there is a new reality show based on jobstown on tv3.... come on to eff, has the whole traveler/low socio-economic background thing not been flogged to death already? talk about a new low.... no disrespect to the people of jobstwon and the way they live but why would anybody want to watch them on tv just so they can sit there and say oh isnt that shocking how do they live like that etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

jezzer wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio there is a new reality show based on jobstown on tv3.... come on to eff, has the whole traveler/low socio-economic background thing not been flogged to death already? talk about a new low.... no disrespect to the people of jobstwon and the way they live but why would anybody want to watch them on tv just so they can sit there and say oh isnt that shocking how do they live like that etc....

What way do they live ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    What way do they live ?

you know what I mean, the program wont be focused on the guy that gets up every day and goes to work or the girl who goes out to college every day or the woman who minds her kids, its going to be focused on the little gurriers and their anti social behavior just so people can watch it and be appalled....

you know what I mean, the program wont be focused on the guy that gets up every day and goes to work or the girl who goes out to college every day or the woman who minds her kids, its going to be focused on the little gurriers and their anti social behavior just so people can watch it and be appalled....

or the MMA fighter who opened his own gym ? Or the guy who runs his own scaffolding business ?

or the MMA fighter who opened his own gym ? Or the guy who runs his own scaffolding business ?

i dont think it should matter where the hooligan hoolahan comes from, its like if your from jobstown and you make something of yourself its like a miracle or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

theres no hate, dont try and twist it, people are just offering their realistic views of her acting ability which is mediocre, not terrible but not brilliant, as another poster said if she was that good she would have made it in the Uk at the very least but lets call a spade a spade here, if she wasnt married to the most famous irish rugby player ever she would be just one of the many thousands of unknown irish actors out there, for example, she started out in on home ground with dominique mcelligott, both of them would be around the same standard of acting, mcelligott possible a bit better, however most people are going to say Dominique who? whilst Hubermans is completely pumped up by the Irish media, purely because she married brian o driscoll, that is a simple fact not a criticism..

You really should have read your own diatribe before posting. Anyway, if it makes you happy you can substitute dislike for hate in my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

"The World"............. seriously!!! That's the name of a paper you would see in bloody Superman or Sponge bob Squarepants! !!!!! This is a show I will have to watch to hate! I work as a trainee solicitor so it makes it even more cringe worthy and cliché driven!!

How does the professional indemnity insurance premium Tara received of 20k euro compare with reality?

i dont think it should matter where the hooligan hoolahan comes from, its like if your from jobstown and you make something of yourself its like a miracle or something

True, but it is nice to see that they are at least not 'totally' focusing on the 'bad' bits, although I get the feeling there may be plenty of that included somehow.

True, but it is nice to see that they are at least not 'totally' focusing on the 'bad' bits, although I get the feeling there may be plenty of that included somehow.

fair point, its good its not all just focusing on the bad bits but what they are really doing is treating the people of jobstown like performing circus animals

You really should have read your own diatribe before posting. Anyway, if it makes you happy you can substitute dislike for hate in my earlier post.

how does critiquing someones acting ability as mediocre show hate? perhaps you are a pal of Hubermans and thats fair enough if you feel the need to defend her but dont come on here trying to twist my words and opinion as hate :mad:

I don't think anyone on here has made personal comments against Amy Huberman. Any negative comments have been about her strength as an actress, and whether her celebrity status has given her acting career a boost it otherwise wouldn't have.

I know a number of people who've met Amy and will attest to the fact that she's a very nice person. It doesn't stop me from questioning whether she is the best actress to take the lead role in a prime time Sunday evening drama on our national broadcasting station. I really liked her as Daisy in The Clinic. I thought she suited that role. I've seen her in a couple of other things (light comedic type roles as I said before) and thought she was fine.
    But I, personally, don't think she is the best choice for the lead role in Striking Out. It's a pretty weak script, and it needs a very strong actress to bring any real depth or nuance to the role.

I don't think anyone on here has made personal comments against Amy Huberman. Any negative comments have been about her strength as an actress, and whether her celebrity status has given her acting career a boost it otherwise wouldn't have.

I know a number of people who've met Amy and will attest to the fact that she's a very nice person. It doesn't stop me from questioning whether she is the best actress to take the lead role in a prime time Sunday evening drama on our national broadcasting station. I really liked her as Daisy in The Clinic. I thought she suited that role. I've seen her in a couple of other things (light comedic type roles as I said before) and thought she was fine.
    But I, personally, don't think she is the best choice for the lead role in Striking Out. It's a pretty weak script, and it needs a very strong actress to bring any real depth or nuance to the role.

very well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

This thread certainly moved OT fairly successfully!

Reality TV is a whole other debate. If you're going to make drama programmes, then at least try and make decent ones.

Batchelors walk did it well tho. Lots of soft focus Dublin but much more realistic.

Batchelors Walk was in a different league to Striking Out.

Batchelors Walk was in a different league to Striking Out.

ah bachelors walk, arguably the best things ever shown on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Poor imitation of The Good Wife, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its not an imitation. Its its own thing.
    And has Amy who is a gem. Men Behaving Badly guy is pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Its not an imitation. Its its own thing.
    And has Amy who is a gem. Men Behaving Badly guy is pretty good too.

Ah here. She's a mediocre actress at best. I can't decide if its a poor script or poor acting that's undermining her in striking out. But its a very mediocre performance and has all the hallmarks of clocking in, reading the lines and clocking out again.

I agree with others who say she isn't suited to this role. She's not.

But clearly the RTE casting director when given a new drama starts with AH as top of the list and tries to shoehorn her into every new drama whether she's suited or not.

Ah here. She's a mediocre actress at best. I can't decide if its a poor script or poor acting that's undermining her in striking out. But its a very mediocre performance and has all the hallmarks of clocking in, reading the lines and clocking out again.

I agree with others who say she isn't suited to this role. She's not.

But clearly the RTE casting director when given a new drama starts with AH as top of the list and tries to shoehorn her into every new drama whether she's suited or not.

yes with Hubermans it is a case of throwing her in because she is a well known name because of who she is married to so the show will get a bit of a lift but it doesnt always mean she is the right person for the role, in fairness to other actors it must really annoy them but in fairness to hubermans i think everyone in her position would do the same, i heard her on ian dempsey this morning and she seems a nice person but in terms of her acting ability shes ok nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Gerry Ryan was the original presenter of operation transformation: a man who ate to excess and was on drugs presenting a fitness show.

What really used to crack me up was that morbidly obese Gerry wore a track suit while watching the poor saps weigh in :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Hippo wrote: »
    This thread certainly moved OT fairly successfully!

Reality TV is a whole other debate. If you're going to make drama programmes, then at least try and make decent ones.

I guess any drama is better than most reality TV. I have to yet watch Striking Out but a problem with a lot of Irish dramas (with the exception of Love/Hate and one or two more) is they tend to have interesting concepts but end up getting poorly executed or else are held back by restraint. A lot of them do not know what they are either.

Clean Break for example started off as a sort of a Love/Hate set in Wexford with a tiger kidnap plot straight out of that series too. At times, the series hinted at living up to being a worthy successor to Love/Hate but then it held back. The very end with the stamps being the reason for everything was Tales of the Unexpected. CB was all in all watchable though and while it may not have scaled the heights of greatness, it was still decent. SO will probably be similar and may give it a go Monday or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Is there anyone for the 'Striking Out' bus this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Anseo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Wife is yellow dress is rotten mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Jaysus Lisha, I think it's a little usual for someone to turn up at the hospital to find their husband has another wife :D

Advertisement