Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coffee Shop in Clondalkin - Your Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Websites4u wrote: »
    don't think they have websites. they should have FB pages though.

Slightly off topic but I hate when businesses only have Facebook pages and no actual websites. There are people out there who aren't on Facebook (like me) who often can't access any contact details etc for some businesses if their Facebook details aren't viewable to non fb members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Any website or online presence yet? Googling "coffee shop Clondalkin" produces very few relevant results.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

If you don't use Facebook, you can upload your contact info, location, phone numbers, etc to Google. So in some cases, you don't need a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dinny76

Good luck with the new coffee shop, can I ask how long did the planning take and was it expensive. We are going for a change of use for an old butcher shop to a cafe. Just trying to get a grasp on costs etc

DubTony wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement

Websites4u wrote: »
    If you don't use Facebook, you can upload your contact info, location, phone numbers, etc to Google. So in some cases, you don't need a website.

Yeah but unfortunately a lot of places don't seem to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ndlowe

My feeling is that the coffee shop does not need a website, will settle for your prayers! Visited location yesterday, in my opinion a very difficult location to operate from, despite passing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

Dinny76 wrote: »
    Good luck with the new coffee shop, can I ask how long did the planning take and was it expensive. We are going for a change of use for an old butcher shop to a cafe. Just trying to get a grasp on costs etc
    Hi Dinny, the planning situation is very to estimate because it depends on a number of factors, most notably which council you have to work with as some are easier to work with than others. The previous use of the building, the area in which it is located and if there are already enough similar establishments in the area, if it is close to residential areas, etc. etc. You can safely put a sum of about 8k plus on planning change costs by the time you take into account professional fees, council fees and arranging a new fire cert, and then there may be requests by the council which have to be fulfilled in order to satisfy their concerns. I would definitely encourage anyone thinking about going down this route to engage the services of a good architect with a track record of commercial planning cases.

You can also pay for the local council to give you a pre-planning survey where they will give you their opinion on the likelihood of a successful change of use application.

On the plus side, there are some great sites out there that would make perfect locations for food businesses, and it just requires that initial pain of getting the change of use arranged.

Once the prep work has been completed and lodged, it takes about 8 weeks to come back from the council but can be held up if there are appeals lodged by third parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dinny76

Jontronix, Thanks for the reply. I had a chat to the local planner and was told there should be no issues, planning has just run out for a complete redevelopment of the site to include a restaurant and butchers shop. I see no issues in getting it. The annoying part will be all the cost associated with it. Change of use, fire, disability access cert possibly car parking provisions.
    I have an architect on board. We own the building so need to do something with it.

All the best with your new venture and thanks for taking the time

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I was in yesterday for the soft opening and was very impressed with the coffee and scones.

I hope it's a big success for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mini cooper

Hi Jontronix wishing you well on your opening today, cáfe looks great,
    Glad you got good location in end, great following your story from start to finish here on boards.ie I will be in over the weekend for a good coffee & some cake,

Best wishes for the future from mini cooper A.K.A. - @christmpuddings on Twitter

<snip>

niallo32 wrote: »
    I was in yesterday for the soft opening and was very impressed with the coffee and scones.

I hope it's a big success for you!

Thanks Niallo, it was great to meet you in person.
    It took a while to get here, but we're delighted with the premises we have now and looking forward to serving the coffee loving locals in Clondalkin.

Hi Jontronix wishing you well on your opening today, cáfe looks great,
    Glad you got good location in end, great following your story from start to finish here on boards.ie I will be in over the weekend for a good coffee & some cake,

Best wishes for the future from mini cooper A.K.A. - @christmpuddings on Twitter

Thanks Mini Cooper. Glad you enjoyed the journey, it wasn't always enjoyable to be part of it, but worth it in the end. I look forward to seeing you in the coffee shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just had a read through the thread, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

Very interesting thread

If anyone is interested in taking on a cafe in a nice part of Dublin, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is this the location? https://goo.gl/maps/PC1utqkamYK2

I drop the kids off at the crèche across the road. Usually get coffee in the mcdonalds drive through. I'll definitely be trying your place now!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Is this the location? https://goo.gl/maps/PC1utqkamYK2

I drop the kids off at the crèche across the road. Usually get coffee in the mcdonalds drive through. I'll definitely be trying your place now!

Yeah that's it. Although it looks a lot nicer now if I don't say so myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Got a coffee in there this morning and it was very nice, I'll definitely be back. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Hi, was in your new coffee shop this morn, fab place, best of luck with it, will def be back - your scones are delish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

great thread and a great read from start to finish, congrats on the new venture.

Any chance of a few pics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Setanter

Had lunch there today.

Really excellent quality on the food and coffee.
    Price was very reasonable compared to lunch in the Laurels (which very busy most lunches).

It was very quite so it would be really important to crack up the promotional magic.
    I work in a Clondalkin retail business and have being yattering on about how it was all day.
    Most customers are sort of aware of it, not what it is........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

No way ! I read this thread way back then forgot about it. Then last week saw a new coffee shop in the village and went in, had a great coffee. Tonight i powered up boards and see this thread.

Great coffee shop and good to see it busy when I drive by.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ndlowe

Great coffee and food, attracting all the Yuppies, (getting them out of the woodwork) keep it up, a long winter still ahead!

dball wrote: »
    great thread and a great read from start to finish, congrats on the new venture.

Any chance of a few pics ?

Here's a few pics :)

Setanter wrote: »
    Had lunch there today.

Really excellent quality on the food and coffee.
    Price was very reasonable compared to lunch in the Laurels (which very busy most lunches).

It was very quite so it would be really important to crack up the promotional magic.
    I work in a Clondalkin retail business and have being yattering on about how it was all day.
    Most customers are sort of aware of it, not what it is........

Thanks I appreciate that feedback. I have a few plans to promote the business more, I just didn't want to overdo it at the start, I wanted to start quiet, build up some confidence in the team, and then try a few promotional ideas etc, especially with people working in the locality.

Smoggy wrote: »
    No way ! I read this thread way back then forgot about it. Then last week saw a new coffee shop in the village and went in, had a great coffee. Tonight i powered up boards and see this thread.

Great coffee shop and good to see it busy when I drive by.

Good luck !

Thanks Smoggy

ndlowe wrote: »
    Great coffee and food, attracting all the Yuppies, (getting them out of the woodwork) keep it up, a long winter still ahead!

Ha ha Yuppies, I thought they disappeared with the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

Jontronix wrote: »
    Here's a few pics :)

Looks great & best of luck going forward, Here's to 2017 and lots of success.
    Thanks for the pics - looks nice and inviting in there - if in the neighborhood Ill drop in and say hello

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ha ha Yuppies, I thought they disappeared with the 80's

They bred and created hipsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Setanter

Thanks I appreciate that feedback. I have a few plans to promote the business more, I just didn't want to overdo it at the start, I wanted to start quiet, build up some confidence in the team, and then try a few promotional ideas etc, especially with people working in the locality.

I don't think you can overdo, in the circumstances, you have the suitable product and it's worth shouting about..

I would be just worried that if you don't force the pace when you have the novelty factor it might be a missed opportunity.

Local marketing is hard graft and it's always difficult to start

Advertisement