Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coffee Shop in Clondalkin - Your Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

WittyName1 wrote:
    Re. your idea to deliver to business parks like Park West - Fude Company pretty much has this business wrapped up. I don't think there would be room for another competitor. Most businesses in Park West also have their own canteens offering high end coffee at subsidised prices. Having worked in a large company in Park West in the past I've never come across anyone who would venture to Clondalkin for lunch. People tend to eat in work, use the Park West shops, or order from Fude.

Thanks for the feedback on Park West as I've never worked in there. I hear that Fude place is very good. The delivery option is a possibility if I feel there's enough demand for it but I wouldn't be basing the business plan on that being a large part of business, at least in the beginning.

Birdsong wrote:
    Costa Coffee has just moved into the Mill Shopping Centre, will be interesting to see how that goes

I'll be interested in this myself, I'm very encouraged to see a major chain has deemed Clondalkin worthy of their presence. I'm sure they realised that there's a large population area without access to superior coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jontronix wrote: »
    I'll be interested in this myself, I'm very encouraged to see a major chain has deemed Clondalkin worthy of their presence. I'm sure they realised that there's a large population area without access to superior coffee.

My thoughts?
    Well, there is your big competitor!
    If you only now realise that free Wi-Fi is a good idea in your venture I suggest you drop the coffeeshop idea.
    Four months of anguish, almost 3,000 views, 60-odd posts in 5 pages……….
    Entrepreneurial & Business Management = about those who make things happen, not talk and waffle.
    Open the shop, drop the idea or can we all move on?

My thoughts? Well, there is your big competitor! If you only now realise that free Wi-Fi is a good idea in your venture I suggest you drop the coffeeshop idea. Four months of anguish, almost 3,000 views, 60-odd posts in 5 pages………. Entrepreneurial & Business Management = about those who make things happen, not talk and waffle. Open the shop, drop the idea or can we all move on?

Ha ha thanks for the positivity. Of course I already know that WiFi is a good perk to draw in customers but I'm just glad that someone took the time to make that suggestion. I'll do things to my own plans and timetable not soneone else's, and thankfully everything has been going to plan so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Hello OP,
    I'm nowhere near familiar with clondalkin area at all. But what I would say to you is to almost pick a target market but obviously try not to exclude anyone. But maybe target you teenagers. Is there schools nearby? Can you offer something different. I myself go to this lovely unique retro style cafe with my friends. They give you a lump of chocolate on a stick and hot frothy milk mmmmm and you get to melt it yourself. They offer free wifi, and a free chocolate with each drink. Towards the back of the premises they have around 30 computer which are nearly always packed! It's a very studenty/ unique cafe you wouldn't see much old folk in their! The interior design is different and cosy at the same time. They've a fabulous location so much footfall! Maybe it's something you want to think about who ideally do you want in your cafe. Student/college folk, young families, older friends stuff like that. What your cafe looks like and what it offers can appeal to everyone or now one. Maybe you could go for a country feel offering great food and unique jams stuff like that. Definitely sit outside your proposed spot for a few hours at different times different days etc it will give you an idea! It's sounds good though best of luck! :)

That chocolate on a stick is delish!! my brother does that in his café and just so so tasty!! he gives it out in those tall glass cups , god I want one of them now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

Hope it works out. I'll be sure to pop by

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Best of luck with the venture. I've lived in the village all my life and like the other posters, the lack of a proper coffee shop really annoys me!

Claire's opens at 5pm.

https://twitter.com/EastVillageDub/

Opening February 2016

After 18 months it's hardly the OP?

After 18 months it's hardly the OP?

It is!:)

This time last year I quit my finance job of many years and embarked on an amazing year of learning everything I could ahead of my own venture. I completed a professional cookery course, 2 barista training courses, 3 start your own business/cafe workshops, and I've worked in a take-away coffee business and a more traditional cafe business for several months now. Along the way I've been continuing my research and perfecting my business plan. Recently I found a suitable property, I've received the backing from the bank, and I'm looking to open now in Feb 2016. Once I can get the solicitors to move along and finalise everything, which is easier said than done let me tell you.

So hopefully soon I can post up a proposed opening date, and you can all come and visit my new coffee shop.

• Advertisement

This time last year I quit my finance job of many years and embarked on an amazing year of learning everything I could ahead of my own venture. I completed a professional cookery course, 2 barista training courses, 3 start your own business/cafe workshops, and I've worked in a take-away coffee business and a more traditional cafe business for several months now. Along the way I've been continuing my research and perfecting my business plan. Recently I found a suitable property, I've received the backing from the bank, and I'm looking to open now in Feb 2016. Once I can get the solicitors to move along and finalise everything, which is easier said than done let me tell you.

So hopefully soon I can post up a proposed opening date, and you can all come and visit my new coffee shop.

Congrats OP!! that's brill!! Where in Clondalkin are you opening or can you say yet?

messrs wrote: »
    Congrats OP!! that's brill!! Where in Clondalkin are you opening or can you say yet?

Cheers :) I won't say just for the moment because I don't want to jinx it until it's signed and sealed. However a deposit is down and we just have to jump through a few hoops. I hope it's signed before Christmas and I can let people know where its going to be, but it may be early in the new year as a lot of people are finishing up today or early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing where your premises is and dropping in for a coffee in the new year

Cheers :) I won't say just for the moment because I don't want to jinx it until it's signed and sealed. However a deposit is down and we just have to jump through a few hoops. I hope it's signed before Christmas and I can let people know where its going to be, but it may be early in the new year as a lot of people are finishing up today or early next week.

yea that's understandable, I would prob the same! once its in clondalkin village it wont be to far from me. Best of luck with it, cant wait till its open and I can go in :)

It is!:)...........So hopefully soon I can post up a proposed opening date, ........

Well done, brave move, and that is an impressive list of "things accomplished". You clearly have put a lot into the planning.. maybe consider calling it 'Giraffe' as it too has a gestation period of 18 months.;) :) Aim to open before 14 Feb and try to catch some Valentine's Day business. Maybe a promo gift card idea - buy in some Valentine cards and sell them with a coffee voucher. Impulse purchase type thing for next to the till. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Great job OP congrats! It looks like you really put the time in to make sure you are as prepared as possible which is great to see I wish I had done that!

Best of luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Do, I live close to the village so I'll try to stop by. Best of luck with it, glad to something opening out here that isn't another fast food place!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Do, I live close to the village so I'll try to stop by. Best of luck with it, glad to something opening out here that isn't another fast food place!

+1 same here let us know

Thanks guys. I plan on putting in a good effort through social media in advance of opening to let people know where we are and what we're about. I'll also hit the streets locally and hand out some freebies and spread the word. Then the real work will begin.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I plan on putting in a good effort through social media in advance of opening to let people know where we are and what we're about. I'll also hit the streets locally and hand out some freebies and spread the word. Then the real work will begin.

One more word of advice if you have a few staff etc, be careful with pilfering - from the till and stock. Quite a few people I know in your business have had this problem, and no worse way to screw up your margins!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeh start that early and get the buzz going a bit so that you really the hit the ground fast on launch day. Too many places only start that when they open and lose all those potential people they could have reached beforehand.

are you going to be doing loyalty cards aswell? always a good hit with people, also when my brother opened up his café he offered 10% discount for anyone working on the same street, I know you don't want to be giving stuff away for nothing but its nice to have a little sort of scheme like that going on , may encourage people to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Well done OP.

I'll be in for for a coffee.

Just noticed there's two places on main street that recently appear to have found a tenant......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

sounds like the OP has done a lot of homework in the meantime. Now it's time to put the theory and experience into action.

5 Things I would say you must get right at this early stage

1) Hire naturally friendly people who are tactful. Character and honesty are vital attributes.

2) Don't make any assumptions about what you customer's will or won't like. The only way is to test your offering.

3) Your staff will be watching you and you will set the tone for your whole business. e.g. they see you taking short-cuts
    they will start taking short-cuts.

4) Keep it simple but keep it quality.

5) Start using checklists for consistent quality in your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Best of luck with the new venture.

If you need a website, i'll do you a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

If only more people did so much preparation before diving in head first. Particularly in a business you had no experience in. Great stuff. I wish you well.

I know JJ Darboven has done very well in Dún Laoghaire since they opened beside Argos and now in their bigger premises closer to the shopping centre. Obviously it's a different business entirely but there might be some retail business in it for you for the more enthusiastic coffee drinker. Quality coffees, teas, accessories etc. I suppose it depends on the layout of your premises but a small area catering to this might pull in some passing traffic too, particularly during the quieter periods of the day it might help.

One more word of advice if you have a few staff etc, be careful with pilfering - from the till and stock. Quite a few people I know in your business have had this problem, and no worse way to screw up your margins!

Good luck!
    I've heard of this happening in some establishments as well. I will probably install a couple of security cameras to mind against this, and also to ward off any would be thieves.

messrs wrote: »
    are you going to be doing loyalty cards aswell? always a good hit with people, also when my brother opened up his café he offered 10% discount for anyone working on the same street, I know you don't want to be giving stuff away for nothing but its nice to have a little sort of scheme like that going on , may encourage people to come in

I am definitely going to have loyalty cards, everyone in the industry I've encountered have nothing but positive feedback on the use of loyalty cards.

• Advertisement

jetsonx wrote: »
    sounds like the OP has done a lot of homework in the meantime. Now it's time to put the theory and experience into action.

5 Things I would say you must get right at this early stage

1) Hire naturally friendly people who are tactful. Character and honesty are vital attributes.

2) Don't make any assumptions about what you customer's will or won't like. The only way is to test your offering.

3) Your staff will be watching you and you will set the tone for your whole business. e.g. they see you taking short-cuts
    they will start taking short-cuts.

4) Keep it simple but keep it quality.

5) Start using checklists for consistent quality in your business.

All very good points there I couldn't agree with you more.

Advertisement