Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coffee Shop in Clondalkin - Your Thoughts

Options
12346»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii


    Jontronix wrote: »
    Here's a few pics :)

    Place looks great amazing job! Will be sure to pop in if we find ourselves in your neck of the woods!


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ndlowe


    Slight service hitch on Friday at 1.15, not for posting, staff should advise. Keep up the good work!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio


    great reading this thread from start to finish, i learned alot. i myself have/had a dream like you of opening a cafe one day, I have every faith in myself after seeing your journey, all the way through to your very successful cafe now! Congratulations you're a complete inspiration. Hope the cafe continues success for years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Simonoconnor15


    I think you will do well. Quality coffee / food doesn't need to be expensive. You may want to bring an expert assist you for the first couple of months


    Follow the trends, use social media, buy Fair Trade, Vegan options, environmentally aware


    best of luck


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen


    This coffee shop in Clondalkin is simply outstanding. Firstly the staff and the chef are all smiling and happy and cannot give better customer sercive. Nothing is too much bother for them. Secondly the menu is so different. I'm a diabetic so cannot have the breadrolls and wraps that are on offer in every cafe in the country. your soups are simply to die for as well as the brown bread. its a place you just love to hang out. Well done.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii


    Fair play jontronix sounds like you're doing a cracking job.


  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR


    Visited for the first time this week. As the kids were on mid-term, I worked from home for Mon, Tue and Wed morning and brought the kids for lunch on Mon and Tue.
    On Wed, the kids fancied a change, so we headed to The Honeycomb Cafe, which for us is a 5 - 10 min drive as opposed to a 2 min walk to East Village Coffee.

    We have been to The Honeycomb Cafe before and have really enjoyed it so the best praise I can give is that all 3 of us were of the opinion that we should have returned to East Village Coffee on the Wednesday also! (excellent pancakes, sandwiches and of course coffee)

    On a side note OP, I presume you have heard that The Happy Pear guys will be operating the cafe in the new visitors centre at the Round Tower when it opens in the Summer. Serious competition but on the evidence I've seen so far, you and your staff should be more than able for it. Best of luck, we'll be back!


  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors


    Definitely want to check this place out

    Is it near Ulster bank in the village and is there free parking anywhere close by?

    I wish you all the success in the world :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix


    JMR wrote: »
    Visited for the first time this week. As the kids were on mid-term, I worked from home for Mon, Tue and Wed morning and brought the kids for lunch on Mon and Tue.
    On Wed, the kids fancied a change, so we headed to The Honeycomb Cafe, which for us is a 5 - 10 min drive as opposed to a 2 min walk to East Village Coffee.

    We have been to The Honeycomb Cafe before and have really enjoyed it so the best praise I can give is that all 3 of us were of the opinion that we should have returned to East Village Coffee on the Wednesday also! (excellent pancakes, sandwiches and of course coffee)

    On a side note OP, I presume you have heard that The Happy Pear guys will be operating the cafe in the new visitors centre at the Round Tower when it opens in the Summer. Serious competition but on the evidence I've seen so far, you and your staff should be more than able for it. Best of luck, we'll be back!

    Great to hear that you enjoyed it, and I know The Honeycomb do a good job so that's high praise indeed and much appreciated. We've thought long and hard about creating an inviting space and a nice menu and we love to hear when people enjoy it.

    I have heard about the Happy Pear, and I'm all for it and the whole round tower centre in general. I always knew there would be a cafe going into the centre, and if it's a vegan cafe, with massive following then that will be great to bring people into the area, and maybe they'll visit us while they're in the area. Also, being from Clondalkin myself and my wife are delighted to see the area on an upward curve, and the historic village starting to get the highlight it deserves. I think Clondalkin will benefit hugely from this tourist attraction and also just instilling pride in the area in general.


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix


    Definitely want to check this place out

    Is it near Ulster bank in the village and is there free parking anywhere close by?

    I wish you all the success in the world :)

    Yes we're just 2 doors down from the Ulster Bank. There is a small carpark just along the road there that is free, but usually quite busy, but there are several local carparks in the pubs etc, which are only 1euro per hour. Hope you darken our doors soon ;-)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix


    This coffee shop in Clondalkin is simply outstanding. Firstly the staff and the chef are all smiling and happy and cannot give better customer sercive. Nothing is too much bother for them. Secondly the menu is so different. I'm a diabetic so cannot have the breadrolls and wraps that are on offer in every cafe in the country. your soups are simply to die for as well as the brown bread. its a place you just love to hang out. Well done.

    Thank you so much, we have built up a strong following of regulars in such a short space of time, that it has given us great confidence in what we are doing and gives us the encouragement to continue and hopefully grow from strength to strength as 2017 progresses.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1


    Congratulations! The photos of your coffee shop are just fab! One of my pastimes is meeting friends for coffee/lunch. I have a couple of friends who live in and near Clondalkin so I hope to visit them and you very soon. However, you won't see too much of me if you do not have any Coeliac friendly food for me. My fingers are crossed that you have more than just a gluten-free brownie as I've eaten them in every coffee shop I ever visited because that's all they ever have. Please say it isn't so with your coffee shop, and I will visit you very soon. Well done on all your research and preparation beforehand, it will stand to you in the future. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix


    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Congratulations! The photos of your coffee shop are just fab! One of my pastimes is meeting friends for coffee/lunch. I have a couple of friends who live in and near Clondalkin so I hope to visit them and you very soon. However, you won't see too much of me if you do not have any Coeliac friendly food for me. My fingers are crossed that you have more than just a gluten-free brownie as I've eaten them in every coffee shop I ever visited because that's all they ever have. Please say it isn't so with your coffee shop, and I will visit you very soon. Well done on all your research and preparation beforehand, it will stand to you in the future. :)

    Hi Jellybaby, we do make our own soups which would be GF, as well as our salads and sandwiches can be made on GF bread. We don't have a GF environment in our kitchen so we can't make anything that is 100% certified GF, as I know in some extreme cases coeliacs would have no tolerance for any gluten at all. With regard to sweet treats we make our own protein balls and banana bread which would be GF, but we are hoping to extend our free from offering in the near future as our chef has experience from a bakery background.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio


    Reading that 'Setting the table' book by Danny Meyer, a restauranteur, teaching all different lessons and what he learned, really great book so far, makes me think of food and hospitality in ways i've never thought before.Seen it recommended on boards somewhere dunno if it was this thread!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1


    Jontronix wrote: »
    Hi Jellybaby, we do make our own soups which would be GF, as well as our salads and sandwiches can be made on GF bread. We don't have a GF environment in our kitchen so we can't make anything that is 100% certified GF, as I know in some extreme cases coeliacs would have no tolerance for any gluten at all. With regard to sweet treats we make our own protein balls and banana bread which would be GF, but we are hoping to extend our free from offering in the near future as our chef has experience from a bakery background.

    That all sounds great, thanks! I know that it is hard for all kitchens to be completely 100% gluten free.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭callaway92


    Great thread.

    Definitely something I'm hoping to do too in the future but in more rural areas.

    I have ideas. It's just finding the time to do anything is a killer.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u


    Happy Pear is now opening in the new Round Tower Museum in Clondalkin! There have now been a few new coffee shops open in Clondalkin village recently :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo


    Congratulations on the mention in the Irish Times yesterday. You have shown with a bit of get up and go what can be done.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1


    Delighted for you, also delighted that there will be gluten free for me too! Yay!


Advertisement