Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coffee Shop in Clondalkin - Your Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

If only more people did so much preparation before diving in head first. Particularly in a business you had no experience in. Great stuff. I wish you well.

I know JJ Darboven has done very well in Dún Laoghaire since they opened beside Argos and now in their bigger premises closer to the shopping centre. Obviously it's a different business entirely but there might be some retail business in it for you for the more enthusiastic coffee drinker. Quality coffees, teas, accessories etc. I suppose it depends on the layout of your premises but a small area catering to this might pull in some passing traffic too, particularly during the quieter periods of the day it might help.

Yeah I've been in JJ Darboven a couple of times and they have an impressive range of retail items for sale. Like a lot of newer coffee shops, I hope to have a small retail area, maybe a couple of floating shelves selling some coffee related gadgets and a few nice artisan foods. I'm not planning on making much money on this retail end of things, but it does add to the character and feel of a coffee shop. It reinforces the idea that you care about your coffee and the quality of what you are producing. It can also look attractive and decorative when its done well. Bear Market in Blackrock have a lovely retail display, that makes the place look good as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Where is your store located?
    The unit previously occupied by Cribbins Butchers beside the AIB looks a perfect fit, to my untrained eye at least.

JMR wrote: »
    Where is your store located?
    The unit previously occupied by Cribbins Butchers beside the AIB looks a perfect fit, to my untrained eye at least.

Its still not 100% secure so I don't want to say where it is just yet, should be finalised soon thought. Its not the former butchers unit though :)

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

How's thi going then?

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

[QUOTE=Jontronix;98453281I'm not planning on making much money on this retail end of things, but it does add to the character and feel of a coffee shop. It reinforces the idea that you care about your coffee and the quality of what you are producing. It can also look attractive and decorative when its done well[/QUOTE]

Yeah, proper positioning is a really important aspect of business which so many SME's fail on. Position your business as premium and it will attract a premium class of customer. And it is all down to attention to small details like you describe. Starbucks is the classic example of a chain-coffee store that does this well. This leads to a virtuous circle of your cafe attracting customers who are prepared to pay a premium, enables you to buy quality stock, recruit good staff and all going well, your cafe won't be long getting a good reputation.

How's thi going then?
    Having some issues with the lease unfortunately so we might have to seek another unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Jontronix wrote: »
    Having some issues with the lease unfortunately so we might have to seek another unit.

aw crap, sorry to hear that. hope you get something sorted soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Have you opened up yet?

Have you opened up yet?
    Not quite yet. After a couple of false starts we found another suitable unit and we're almost ready to proceed with fit out, just sorting out a couple of final issues with the unit before that can happen. Fingers crossed we will be starting work on site within the next 3-4 weeks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Not quite yet. After a couple of false starts we found another suitable unit and we're almost ready to proceed with fit out, just sorting out a couple of final issues with the unit before that can happen. Fingers crossed we will be starting work on site within the next 3-4 weeks. :)

Can you tell us where it is yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

After 2 years, it is probably worth reevaluating the local market for your proposed offering. Have existing operations survived/new entrants/etc? retail rents have gone up...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Good point above.

Is the visitor centre at the round tower having a coffee shop put in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Is the visitor centre at the round tower having a coffee shop put in ?
    Looks to be the case according to their press release:
    SDCC wrote:
    A new extension to the rear of the existing cottages will contain a bright café and associated service areas including lift and stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

mrawkward wrote: »
    After 2 years, it is probably worth reevaluating this thread. Have existing operations survived/new entrants/etc? retail rents have gone up...

FYP

:P

Is this opening in the old butcher shop ?

Well good news at last. After a couple of false starts with other units, we finally agreed on a lease on Unit 3 Monastery Road (former FAS office) and the planning permission was granted to change the use to cafe. We have started initial fit out and hope to open around the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Well good news at last. After a couple of false starts with other units, we finally agreed on a lease on Unit 3 Monastery Road (former FAS office) and the planning permission was granted to change the use to cafe. We have started initial fit out and hope to open around the end of October.

That's great news, look forward to supporting!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Looking forward to seeing it. Clondalkin is going to be well served for coffee, I see there is a coffee shop going to be open on the old nangor road too, and the one where the butchers was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ClareBear1

Well done I always thought monastery road would be a good location for a coffee shop. I have since moved but will definitely call in if I'm in the area. I hope the locals support you too. As a matter of interest what coffee are you planning to use :-) as mentioned before I'm a bit of a coffee fiend. 3fe is my fave at the mo.
    Best of luck!!!!!!

• Advertisement

ClareBear1 wrote: »
    Well done I always thought monastery road would be a good location for a coffee shop. I have since moved but will definitely call in if I'm in the area. I hope the locals support you too. As a matter of interest what coffee are you planning to use :-) as mentioned before I'm a bit of a coffee fiend. 3fe is my fave at the mo.
    Best of luck!!!!!!

We're going to be working with a small roastery in Celbridge called Baobab Coffee and they only use single origin speciality grade coffee. It's honestly some of the best coffee I've ever tasted and I get around to a lot of coffee shops!!! :D
    I really think a lot of people appreciate a better quality of coffee now, so I'm aiming for the best not just acceptable.

Hope to see you in our place when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ClareBear1

Excellent!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

We're going to be working with a small roastery in Celbridge called Baobab Coffee and they only use single origin speciality grade coffee. It's honestly some of the best coffee I've ever tasted and I get around to a lot of coffee shops!!! :D
    I really think a lot of people appreciate a better quality of coffee now, so I'm aiming for the best not just acceptable.

Hope to see you in our place when it opens.

I do hope it succeeds and I do wish you luck.

Somewhere way back in the thread you said you expected sales of beans & accessories to supplement margin/profitability. That is where I have a niggling doubt about your background research on market/pricing/demand for a quality product in your location.

Lavazzo, the grand-daddy of the industry, sell their beans at about €15 a kilo in Tesco. Tesco Finest are about €10 -12 a kg. depending on type. Lidl periodically sell an XXL bag of beans at €5 a kg (and the quality is surprisingly good). IKEA has beans at a tenner also, but they seem to be Robusta and not great. A Supervalue I shop in regularly has a coffee stand/rotating dispenser thingy with several bean varieties. The average price per kg is about €27. I’ve never seen anyone buying.

What price are you selling at? Is there a market for a premium product at a premium price in Clondalkin? Are you, because of your skills/knowledge aiming too high for the punter that will walk through your door?
    Do you have a Plan B?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ndlowe

Hi,
    Are you located beside the AIB? I noticed new opening this month. Norman

I am told that is your location, beside bank, great parking, good luck, Norman

No thats a competitor. Its going to be in the old FAS office across from the Laurels around the corner for four star pizza.

Thanks for info, looking forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

heres my tuppence as someone who has lived in clondalkin all my life. you can park for free in mill centre :). i and i feel others would welcome a new cafe as there are to many coffee chains , i can go anywhere for these chains. however, a number of coffee shops have opened in the past and shut soon after. there is a new shop open in the village so i assume this is yours and wish you good luck i will be in to get a coffee quite soon :) Websites4u

Yeah we're going into the old FAS unit, hoping to open in about 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Any website or online presence yet? Googling "coffee shop Clondalkin" produces very few relevant results.

Advertisement