Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coffee Shop in Clondalkin - Your Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

Birdsong wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Clondalkin, just on the outskirts of the village & to be honest up to a year ago I would have said there was no where, but in the past 12 months there are 2 places which nobody has mentioned which I would go on a regular basies & you should check out I think. There is Honeycomb in Bawnogue Enterprise Centre, little expensive but very good & has parking or is walking distance for me, and there is now a cafe in Newlands Garden Centre, again has parking, both of these seem to be doing very well. Pandinis at Newlands cross which is also nice

I've never heard of Honeycomb but I will definitely check this out, thanks for the heads up. I have been in the cafe in Newlands and it is definitely a step up from anything in the village but I still think it is some way off the quality of cafes that are just taken for granted in most areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Hello OP,
    I'm nowhere near familiar with clondalkin area at all. But what I would say to you is to almost pick a target market but obviously try not to exclude anyone. But maybe target you teenagers. Is there schools nearby? Can you offer something different. I myself go to this lovely unique retro style cafe with my friends. They give you a lump of chocolate on a stick and hot frothy milk mmmmm and you get to melt it yourself. They offer free wifi, and a free chocolate with each drink. Towards the back of the premises they have around 30 computer which are nearly always packed! It's a very studenty/ unique cafe you wouldn't see much old folk in their! The interior design is different and cosy at the same time. They've a fabulous location so much footfall! Maybe it's something you want to think about who ideally do you want in your cafe. Student/college folk, young families, older friends stuff like that. What your cafe looks like and what it offers can appeal to everyone or now one. Maybe you could go for a country feel offering great food and unique jams stuff like that. Definitely sit outside your proposed spot for a few hours at different times different days etc it will give you an idea! It's sounds good though best of luck! :)

Has anyone tried Fude Cafe in Parkwest?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 msdoc

Jontronix wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, I don't know that area much at all so it hasn't really crossed my mind. My only concern with that location would be the plans for the childrens hospital to move in future.

The wheels are turning very slowly in that regard. Besides which, last I head was that that Crumlin hosptial would be kept as a teaching hospital. But I don't know anything about it. And I know even less about traffic flow for a cafe. But it could be worth your while checking out, if Clondalkin doesn't pan out.
    Not wanting to put you off but always good to go in with eyes wide open
    divaboutiquebakery.com/2010/04/the-hidden-costs-of-running-a-cafe-in-ireland/
    slate.com/articles/life/a_fine_whine/2005/12/bitter_brew.html

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

There are 3 places I think you would have to consider.

1. The unit beside tescos. That is recently free
    2 across the road beside Tuthills
    3 the mill

There is also a unit free on the main street beside the steering wheel

Do not under any circumstances take the unit at the end of the monastery shops.

• Advertisement

Hello OP,
    I'm nowhere near familiar with clondalkin area at all. But what I would say to you is to almost pick a target market but obviously try not to exclude anyone. But maybe target you teenagers. Is there schools nearby? Can you offer something different. I myself go to this lovely unique retro style cafe with my friends. They give you a lump of chocolate on a stick and hot frothy milk mmmmm and you get to melt it yourself. They offer free wifi, and a free chocolate with each drink. Towards the back of the premises they have around 30 computer which are nearly always packed! It's a very studenty/ unique cafe you wouldn't see much old folk in their! The interior design is different and cosy at the same time. They've a fabulous location so much footfall! Maybe it's something you want to think about who ideally do you want in your cafe. Student/college folk, young families, older friends stuff like that. What your cafe looks like and what it offers can appeal to everyone or now one. Maybe you could go for a country feel offering great food and unique jams stuff like that. Definitely sit outside your proposed spot for a few hours at different times different days etc it will give you an idea! It's sounds good though best of luck! :)

Thanks for your input, that cafe sounds really interesting. Do you mind me asking where it is? I know I will have to decide on a look and feel for my cafe, and I have a couple of different ideas in mind, and I will tailor these to the location I end up getting and one idea I have will not suit a certain location and vice versa.
    The main thing I know is that you can't cater to everyone, we all like different things and that's why there are so many different styles of cafe and coffee shop. I will go with something that appeals to me and appeals to the target I am seeking in a certain area.

Has anyone tried Fude Cafe in Parkwest?

My husband works in Parkwest and highly rates this place. He also thought that a food truck could do well once a week if it parked up in the area. re the issue of permits etc, is it better to ask forgiveness than ask permission, if that could apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Thanks for your input, that cafe sounds really interesting. Do you mind me asking where it is? I know I will have to decide on a look and feel for my cafe, and I have a couple of different ideas in mind, and I will tailor these to the location I end up getting and one idea I have will not suit a certain location and vice versa.
    The main thing I know is that you can't cater to everyone, we all like different things and that's why there are so many different styles of cafe and coffee shop. I will go with something that appeals to me and appeals to the target I am seeking in a certain area.

Sorry should have mentioned it,
    It's called Eco cafe, or cafe Eco something like that. It's on Winthrop street off Patricks street in cork. It's such a busy route they're so lucky they also own a restaurant/cafe in Douglas outside of cork I think! Ya it's definitely good to see who you really want to appeal to but obviously want to make everyone welcome!

There are 3 places I think you would have to consider.

1. The unit beside tescos. That is recently free
    2 across the road beside Tuthills
    3 the mill

There is also a unit free on the main street beside the steering wheel

Do not under any circumstances take the unit at the end of the monastery shops.

1. I see that unit became available lately but I've yet to look into it. I fear it might be a bit of a barn and need huge investment to get looking anything like a cafe
    2. I drove past today and saw that letting sign and will be checking it out. I thought it might be just offices for lease but perhaps it's a proper premises.
    3. I had ignored The Mill up until now because I don't like the centre myself, but I can't ignore that people keep recommending it. It is definitely an area of heavy pedestrian traffic, and it has that free parking that is so rare these days.

What is the problem with the unit at Monastery?

msdoc wrote: »
    My husband works in Parkwest and highly rates this place. He also thought that a food truck could do well once a week if it parked up in the area. re the issue of permits etc, is it better to ask forgiveness than ask permission, if that could apply?

Yeah I've heard that very line before about forgiveness over permission. I think the food truck idea would work great as long as you have the brass neck to go with it, as well as a nose for good locations of course.

I follow Fude on Twitter and the sandwiches they make sound immense but I don't know anyone who's tried them. Good to hear that someone rates it.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine used to run a crepe stall and she quickly realised that the money for her was in doing big events like Electric Picnic, rather than the weekly food markets, where weather might have a big affect on sales. Was walking round town with her one day when we were talking about another crepe producer which had a few cafes now. She commented that just because they had outlets around town it didn't necessarily mean that they were making money. Didn't mean that they weren't either...
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Would advise doing a start your own business course.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

What is the problem with the unit at Monastery?

Get Fresh tends to obscure it.
    People don't tend to walk to these shops, myself included
    Parking.
    All businesses over the past 10 years have failed or moved

BTW i hate the Mill myself and feel its day is done

Get Fresh tends to obscure it.
    People don't tend to walk to these shops, myself included
    Parking.
    All businesses over the past 10 years have failed or moved

BTW i hate the Mill myself and feel its day is done

Oh yeah the little unit in the corner that is now an alarm place or something. There is always a new business in there whenever I look. I did actually call the autioneer about that a while back when it was up on the market but he wasn't interested in a food business going in there as he knew the landlord wouldn't want to wait around for someone to obtain planning permission for a food business.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

I live in Clondalkin Village and work not far away and while I would personally walk to Main Street for a nice coffee at the weekend I would not drive into the village during the week for the reason that many have pointed out - parking.

Boss Hogs appears to do well because it offers what a large demographic want. Students want a chicken roll and a can of Coke at lunch time, they also seem to do well with fried breakfasts, breakfast rolls etc.
    The location of Boss Hogs is pretty unbeatable though for walk by traffic.

One other person mentioned Honeycomb Bakery & Cafe in the Bawnogue Enterprise Centre. Not sure how well they do but the offering is a significant step up from Boss Hogs.
    Not sure how well they would do if located in the Village as their offering would not appeal to the multitude of schoolkids that take over on weekdays and the parking facilities that they have are probably required.

Have you looked at the vacant petrol station on the Monastery Road? Not sure if it would be viable but it would allow for parking.

I believe the visitor centre at the Round Tower is to begin construction before end of 2014 and will include a coffee shop.

Best of luck, whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Hi,

I grew up there myself and as you know OP there are a number of Clondalkins within Clondalkin.

Your target market is the Monastery Road, Floraville, Newlands demographic probably and so Id be looking at setting up in the village.

I think that a small place that was high quality would do well. I'm thinking across from Quinlans near the Ulster Bank around that area.

During the day you would have the school kids, who at the moment have only greasy options and are way more health concious than in my day so I would see them as a market. You would also have those who live in the village and have retired but would not be seen dead in a greasy spoon on main street. So parking not really an issue.

Another option is deliveries into Parkwest and and the other older industrial esate across the road at lunch and to be honest, deliveries at any time of the day as all delivery options in Clondalkin are greasy takeaway type stuff.

Weekends would be busy as there are a lot of people milling about.

I would not go 3FE as even ordering a coffee there is confusing but somewhere nice and modern would hit the spot.

I agree with you totally that the options at present are not the best and there is a specific slice of the Clondalkin demographic that would really go for this.

I'd be there whenever Im back there for one !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mini cooper

Hi Jontronix

How are your plans coming along? personally would love something like this for main street Clondalkin, I would like somewhere different to get good coffee/tea cakes during the day time & even at night time, it's not all about pubs...& Clondalkin has enough of them

When the tower visitor center gets up & running there will be more tourists about wanting to socialize locally at night time also & not all in the pubs.

A lot of foreign & Irish people like the idea of ice-cafe's in Dublin city center take Murphy's ice-cream shop on wicklow street you get your coffee & tea, cakes, good quality home-made ice-creams inter-net use & somewhere to chat with some low background music? something different? what about something like this for Clondalkin Café by day ice-café by night?

Take a look at unit 3 main street, sorry cant up-load photo of it,
    It used to be the old EBS building society it might interest you location wise? no parking
    but right on main street, where you want to be?

or what about approaching the owners of claires pizzeria & tell them of your wish to open up a high class coffee shop & maybe merge with them as their high class coffee-cake wing of their restraint/café that you could use in daytime for your own customers when they are normally closed, you could run it for the mornings mid afternoon & they work the late afternoon-evenings? it's only a suggestion but it might just work & you also have a share of their high end customers at the same time, who like that venue to eat & socialize as there venue of choice in main street area, except now the would have more choice, getting use from it day time as well as evening & night time.

best of luck anyway

Mini-cooper

Hi Jontronix

How are your plans coming along? personally would love something like this for main street Clondalkin, I would like somewhere different to get good coffee/tea cakes during the day time & even at night time, it's not all about pubs...& Clondalkin has enough of them

When the tower visitor center gets up & running there will be more tourists about wanting to socialize locally at night time also & not all in the pubs.

A lot of foreign & Irish people like the idea of ice-cafe's in Dublin city center take Murphy's ice-cream shop on wicklow street you get your coffee & tea, cakes, good quality home-made ice-creams inter-net use & somewhere to chat with some low background music? something different? what about something like this for Clondalkin Café by day ice-café by night?

Take a look at unit 3 main street, sorry cant up-load photo of it,
    It used to be the old EBS building society it might interest you location wise? no parking
    but right on main street, where you want to be?

or what about approaching the owners of claires pizzeria & tell them of your wish to open up a high class coffee shop & maybe merge with them as their high class coffee-cake wing of their restraint/café that you could use in daytime for your own customers when they are normally closed, you could run it for the mornings mid afternoon & they work the late afternoon-evenings? it's only a suggestion but it might just work & you also have a share of their high end customers at the same time, who like that venue to eat & socialize as there venue of choice in main street area, except now the would have more choice, getting use from it day time as well as evening & night time.

best of luck anyway

Mini-cooper

Hey thanks for your input, the plans are coming along nicely. I won't be opening anything until early-mid 2015 but I haven't been put off Clondalkin following any of the feedback I've received so far, if anything I am more enthused now! :)

The former ESB would be a great location in Clondalkin, but that site is for sale at the moment so I am hoping an investor buys that and looks to lease it. If that happens then I will certainly be interested, but that site goes back a long way so it could be very expensive. It's on my radar though.

Operating on the site of an existing business is certainly an interesting proposition, and has worked well in other parts of Dublin so I would consider it. Is Claires Pizzeria open during the day at the moment?

The ice-cream cafes are doing well in some places for sure, but I think Clondalkin just needs a good normal café at the moment. The ice-cream businesses seem to be more for areas that already have the normal café market well covered, and they are an alternative to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Don't know the area, but my two cents....
    Cater for your market, you wouldn't sell an Armani suit in penny's and vice versa. Give your public what they want, not what you think the shod have.
    Location is key. Never ever under estimate that or compromise on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mini cooper

Jontronix
    Is Claires Pizzeria open during the day at the moment?

Info below taken from their Facebook page:

Clare's Italian Resturaunt is now closed for September, to allow us to finish renovation works, expanding our seating.

(Now might be a good idea to approach them with your ideas?) Good Luck

Clare's Pizzeria - the Italian Restaurant

Italian restaurant

Phone (01) 413 6003

I think manager-owners name is Kevin (keep us informed if they are open to your ideas)

I visited the Honeycomb Cafe yesterday and was very impressed. A lot of effort has gone into the decor and overall look of the place. The selection of house made sweet foods is top notch and it all looks delicious. I went for a turkey& brie wrap and a cappuccino. The wrap was really good but not cheap at 8 euro with a small side salad. The place was fairly busy for the after lunch time of 2.30. This experience has given me great belief that a quality café selling premium produce can flourish in Clondalkin village. Bawnogue Enterprise Centre could well be the last place I would have considered for such a venture, but I take my hat off to the owner and employees because it's a great cafe and it seems to be doing well and gathering a great reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

As a local and a coffee lover, I am following this with great interest.
    Are there any vacant units in the row where AIB is?

JMR wrote:
    As a local and a coffee lover, I am following this with great interest. Are there any vacant units in the row where AIB is?

there is one ground floor unit there at the moment near the fishmongers but it seems very expensive as the layout and road frontage are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Not the best looking unit either

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ClareBear1

I've been living in clondalkin for almost two years now and the lack of a decent café is seriously annoying. I genuinely think about this every week. I'm a big coffee person :-)

I agree with all previous posts - traffic is a nightmare in the village during school times. Parking is crap.

I think somewhere on monastery road would be great. Lots of busy estates, passing traffic and pedestrians on the road. Gaa pitch also close by.

Another thing - nowhere nice to get breakfast on the weekend. Pancakes or the like would be fabulous!

Best of luck with your venture. Looking forward to calling in ;-)

P.S. what happened to the Streat cafe in the mill?? Might be interesting to follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

If it is a business clientele you have in mind - who have the funds to pay for "expensive" coffee - can i suggest that you include free wifi but more importantly laptop plug outlets - and loads of them. I actively seek out Starbucks now in Dublin for all my business meetings - because you get the top 3 things - nice coffee, free WiFi and a fully charged laptop (they run a connection and plugs under the high table which run around the edge of each location).

I end up buying coffee there, then a sandwich for lunch or a bun to take with me. A business crowd will help you fill in mornings and afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Re. your idea to deliver to business parks like Park West - Fude Company pretty much has this business wrapped up.
    I don't think there would be room for another competitor.
    Most businesses in Park West also have their own canteens offering high end coffee at subsidised prices.
    Having worked in a large company in Park West in the past I've never come across anyone who would venture to Clondalkin for lunch. People tend to eat in work, use the Park West shops, or order from Fude.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

ClareBear1 wrote: »
    I've been living in clondalkin for almost two years now and the lack of a decent café is seriously annoying. I genuinely think about this every week. I'm a big coffee person :-)

I agree with all previous posts - traffic is a nightmare in the village during school times. Parking is crap.

I think somewhere on monastery road would be great. Lots of busy estates, passing traffic and pedestrians on the road. Gaa pitch also close by.

Another thing - nowhere nice to get breakfast on the weekend. Pancakes or the like would be fabulous!

Best of luck with your venture. Looking forward to calling in ;-)

P.S. what happened to the Streat cafe in the mill?? Might be interesting to follow up on it.

You should go to Honeycomb Cafe in Bawnogue Enterprise Centre, it is a lovely cafe, does great breakfast & lunch and lots of parking. No connection just a happy customer. Another good spot is Newlands Garden centre.

Costa Coffee has just moved into the Mill Shopping Centre, will be interesting to see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ClareBear1

Birdsong wrote: »
    You should go to Honeycomb Cafe in Bawnogue Enterprise Centre, it is a lovely cafe, does great breakfast & lunch and lots of parking. No connection just a happy customer. Another good spot is Newlands Garden centre.

Costa Coffee has just moved into the Mill Shopping Centre, will be interesting to see how that goes

Would never have thought of those places, thanks! I'll most certainly check them out.
    I've ended up going to the anvil in saggart a few times, great spot and fab location. Saggart is so peaceful.

ClareBear1 wrote:

ClareBear1 wrote:

ClareBear1 wrote:

ClareBear1 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I've been living in Clondalkin over 30 years so it's been a bugbear of mine for a long time. If I feel this way then I'm sure there are many others who feel the same. Clondalkin village is a great place and it's rare to have such a vibrant village in Dublin these days, a lot have been killed my massive shopping centres, and every good village needs at least one nice cafe.

• Advertisement

bdo wrote:
    If it is a business clientele you have in mind - who have the funds to pay for "expensive" coffee - can i suggest that you include free wifi but more importantly laptop plug outlets - and loads of them. I actively seek out Starbucks now in Dublin for all my business meetings - because you get the top 3 things - nice coffee, free WiFi and a fully charged laptop (they run a connection and plugs under the high table which run around the edge of each location).

bdo wrote:
    I end up buying coffee there, then a sandwich for lunch or a bun to take with me. A business crowd will help you fill in mornings and afternoons.

Excellent point about the access to power outlets and WiFi. I don't think business clientele will be my main customers but I think these extras would be a welcome addition for any customer. I was thinking I would also keep a couple of spare phone chargers as most people don't have those on then when their battery is running low.

Advertisement